Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

rest of the markets are broadly up as well lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
presumably because the comfortable are busily dumping money into their new year's IRA allowance so hard that it's making Vanguard's servers crash yeah

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 30 minutes!
jeez, that burned through almost a day's worth of volume in a little over an hour

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
E. lol

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
:toot:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

broke sub-110 lol

e: beaten by a better banner

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

it’s under 100?!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation

fart simpson posted:

it’s under 100?!

no, but it's about to go below 109

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
sub-109 now

god it would be funny to see it sub-100 this week

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lain Iwakura posted:

sub-109 now

god it would be funny to see it sub-100 today

FTFY

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

price plunging like a tesla off a cliff

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

nudgenudgetilt posted:

price plunging like a tesla off a cliff

full self-diving....

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol it beat the 52 week low (dropping to 108.05)

down 12% for the day so far

apparently they missed big on their deliveries vs their forecasts

quote:

That represents a 47 percent increase in production year on year and a 40 percent increase in deliveries over the same time period, Tesla says.

Unfortunately, that's not quite good enough for Wall Street. Tesla had told investors to expect 50 percent growth year on year for deliveries, and as a result, the company's share price—which lost more than 70 percent of its value during 2022—dropped even further when trading began and is already down more than 8 percent as of press time.

The failure to meet the delivery target happened even after Tesla heavily discounted its EVs at a time when most other EVs are sold out and often subject to dealer markups.

lol lmao

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/01/tesla-misses-2022-q4-target-share-price-drops-further/

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

quote:

Shares of Tesla Inc. TSLA, -12.04% tumbled 10.3% in morning trading Tuesday, to start the year as the S&P 500’s SPX, -0.67% biggest decliner, in the wake of the electric vehicle maker’s disappointing deliveries data. The selloff retraces 90.0% of the $14.08, or 12.9% bounce the stock enjoyed over the past three days, after closing last Tuesday at the lowest price since Aug. 13, 2020.
:cawg:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
oh come on

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this also seems significant

quote:

Tesla Inc. is set to pay more for the lithium that powers its electric vehicles after a supplier amended their deal to reflect a surge in prices for the metal.

Piedmont Lithium Inc. will now supply an increased 125,000 metric tons of lithium concentrate to the EV giant starting in the second half of this year through the end of 2025, according to a statement Tuesday. Unlike prior agreements where prices are locked in, Piedmont’s deal with Tesla relies on a floating mechanism based on market prices, according to the statement.

Lithium has soared 1,200% over the past two years as supply has struggled to match rampant demand for electric vehicle batteries. The prior pact between Piedmont and Tesla was announced more than two years ago, when lithium prices were at a historic low as the pandemic crushed EV demand just when supply was ample.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

qirex posted:

this also seems significant

Tesla still doesn't make its own batteries, I thought. They are all Panasonic provided? They have a pilot plant, but its not really up to meeting their current needs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Tesla still doesn't make its own batteries, I thought. They are all Panasonic provided? They have a pilot plant, but its not really up to meeting their current needs.

maybe panasonic has them source the lithium? not sure what else they're doing with 125,000 metric tons of it besides making batteries

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

below 107

he's heading for the hard deck!

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

lol, busted past that fast. 107, here we come

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

FMguru posted:

lol lmao

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/01/tesla-misses-2022-q4-target-share-price-drops-further/

yeah this is super bad for a manufacturer because it means they're holding inventory (probably at some dumb valuation because it's tesla, unless GAAP forces you to do it differently), but are probably locked into contracts for materials that mean their future costs are "fixed"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
someone in cspam noted that the numbers are actually worse than that, they have like 50k vehicles "in transit" in the us

which means either tesla is so incompetent they can't move a couple of cars around to their destination or they're trying to hide inventory. neither is good from an investor perspective

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
also man i really hate nasdaq's horrible purple -> turquoise gradient lol

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

their battery supply chain is… complicated? iirc panasonic runs the part of the nv megafactory that builds batteries as a joint venture but investor story time is vertical integration so it wouldn’t surprise me that supplying lithium is on tesla’s books

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

It's also insane that they're padding numbers with preorders for stuff that doesn't exist when the demand for the stuff they actually do make is falling as everyone else overtakes them on quality and price.

like i want to say that for china Geely or whoever they are are making EVs now and that'll stomp them locally

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

FMguru posted:

they didn't just miss them, they missed them after offering generous rebates for taking December deliveries to juice the numbers and still couldn't do it

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

It's also insane that they're padding numbers with preorders for stuff that doesn't exist when the demand for the stuff they actually do make is falling as everyone else overtakes them on quality and price.

like i want to say that for china Geely or whoever they are are making EVs now and that'll stomp them locally

they're already getting stomped, the nyt says some company named "BYD" now has the most electric car sales in china

quote:

China, the world’s largest car market, is a big focus of investor concerns. The sharp rise of Covid cases in China has weighed on demand and forced the company to periodically suspend production at its biggest factory, in Shanghai.

In addition, The Chinese manufacturer BYD has raced past Tesla in electric vehicle sales in China, casting further doubt on Mr. Musk’s ability to achieve world domination in the auto industry.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
tesla had a ten-year lead on everyone in making mass-market electric vehicles and theyve almost completely frittered that away

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
rename tesla the golden state warriors

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation

the numbers for china were particularly bad, idr where they were posted but from sept-oct they fell off by about 40k and never recovered lol

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

oh huh BYD is actually the biggest electric car manufacturer in the world???

tesla sold 1.3 million cars worldwide last year, BYD sold 1.9 million

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005
Probation
yeah BYD is huge and is expanding into europe. i don't think they'll try and crack the american market just because of the rampant xenophobia but they're coming

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah BYD is huge and is expanding into europe. i don't think they'll try and crack the american market just because of the rampant xenophobia but they're coming

Are their cars any good?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

they didn't just miss them, they missed them after offering generous rebates for taking December deliveries to juice the numbers and still couldn't do it
And they blew delivery on many of those, blaming the weather. There are a lot of angry would-be Tesla buyers who want to know why the discounts they were promised vanished.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And they blew delivery on many of those, blaming the weather. There are a lot of angry would-be Tesla buyers who want to know why the discounts they were promised vanished.

i mean, they'll still get the discount, it'll just come in a $7,500 tax credit starting january 1 instead of $7,500 off the price of the car right?

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

had to go into the tunnels to deal with a dead machine I return to the light and see this

beautiful, happy tuesday

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

TSLA is being charged with battery of its own stock :dadjoke:

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

(probably at some dumb valuation because it's tesla, unless GAAP forces you to do it differently)

GAAP requires you to carry inventory at “lower of cost or market value”, i.e. you book it at whatever it cost to build it, and you can’t mark it up, you can only mark it down from there. there are ways to monkey around with the accounting for inventory - usually in which expenses you allocate as cost of manufacturing versus overhead costs, or in lying about how many units of inventory you actually have - but “overvaluing inventory” is not at the top of the list of the places in Tesla’s books I’d be looking into for accounting fuckery. (if I were their auditor, I would spend more effort digging into it from the opposite angle - I would be testing to see if they’ve overstated sales/understated inventory by marking cars as “sold” before they’ve actually been delivered to customers.)

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Not even noon! Maybe sub-$100 is actually possible today. :stonklol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
tesla's not doing so good we should do a big government bailout for them