Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Powershift posted:

It's even better than that when you find one with the safety bumper disguised as a front wing to meet minimum bumper height requirements.

why not just lower the front a bit more and turn the whole car into an old-timey locomotive cowplow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Powershift posted:

It's even better than that when you find one with the safety bumper disguised as a front wing to meet minimum bumper height requirements.

lmao

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Well that’s one car that’s not going to blind me with maladjusted headlamps.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Platystemon posted:

Well that’s one car that’s not going to blind me with maladjusted headlamps.

Bad news, broski.

the headlights are still higher than the spoiler.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
car helmets imo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Slippery Tilde

George posted:

car helmets imo

if the government were serious about safety yeah you'd be required to wear one in the car

also seatbelts would be 5 point restraints

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
no, man. like, a helmet, but for your car to wear

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Carfall

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

George posted:

car helmets imo

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if the government were serious about safety yeah you'd be required to wear one in the car

banning infotainment would do more good than both of those

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Combat Theory posted:

banning infotainment would do more good than both of those

Pushing stricter driving training and requirements like Germany has would do more than that.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
nobody will do any of this until it's the easy alternative to car helmets

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if we're going down this path we might as well skip to the end and say "the government would abolish private automobile ownership altogether"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

if we're going down this path we might as well skip to the end and say "the government would abolish private automobile ownership altogether"
this but all private property

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Slippery Tilde

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

hell yeah

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

just install a hans

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

this but all private property

i don't think this is really germane to transportation safety but yeah sure

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh wait i'm a huge dumbass. no private property means no tesla cars. entirely germane.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

today's going to be the first time in my adult life without a car for more than a day--going to Denver for interviews and it's all downtown so hopefully public transit/these weird scooter things (e: or my feet ofc) can carry the day

feels weird, but not unwelcome--long as I'll be able to get around somewhat successfully, anyway

guess I'll see

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 18, 2018

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

today's going to be the first time in my adult life without a car for more than a day--going to Denver for interviews and it's all downtown so hopefully public transit/these weird scooter things (e: or my feet ofc) can carry the day

feels weird, but not unwelcome--long as I'll be able to get around somewhat successfully, anyway

guess I'll see

source your quotes

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

exploded mummy posted:

source your quotes

-me, 2018

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yes, use your feet, maybe you'll even come to appreciate them more

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Or ride a bike :shrug:

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Yes, use your feet, maybe you'll even come to appreciate them more

New foot fetish acquired

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

AI electric vehicle/tesla stan thread current hot take: getting a pilot's license is no harder than getting a driver's license, just more expensive

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Sagebrush posted:

AI electric vehicle/tesla stan thread current hot take: getting a pilot's license is no harder than getting a driver's license, just more expensive

tbh performing a stall recovery is a thing in both planes and cars. i dont think they make you do that for the driver's license tho.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

we need super precise odometers so drivers could navigate by dead reckoning with a Thomas Guide

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

i saw that and loled

always in some obtuse defence of tesla using the name autopilot for adaptive cruise control and lane keeping

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
roadways should have the same level of regulation as airspace then

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

would switching from 3 to 5 points actually be safer? racecars with 5 points don't have airbags usually, right?

genuinely curious

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
Slippery Tilde
i'm also unconvinced about the benefits of airbags in lower-speed collisions so yeah i'd trade them for better restraints in a heartbeat

getting your skull wanged against the window or the a-pillar by one is no fun

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

would switching from 3 to 5 points actually be safer? racecars with 5 points don't have airbags usually, right?

genuinely curious

yeah dale earnhardt would probably still be alive if he had been using his restraints properly

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i'm also unconvinced about the benefits of airbags in lower-speed collisions so yeah i'd trade them for better restraints in a heartbeat

i don’t wang my skull, i schlong it

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Yeah that I can see, I'd much rather be restrained by a belt than hit with an airbag

Shaggar posted:

yeah dale earnhardt would probably still be alive if he had been using his restraints properly

wasn't it that he had the 5 point on correctly but it broke and he despised the idea of a neckbelt? i don't think anybody was using them at the time he died

I guess I'm wondering if a racing collision differs in some way from a road one

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah a head restraint definitely would have saved him cause he basically smashed his face on his steering wheel. but also his 5 point harness was installed incorrectly because he didn't want it constraining his movement.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well good thing they have airbags in every surface now so the a-pillar is 30 feet wide and constantly obscures your vision.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

genuinely curious

if you're using a 5 point system like a hand, you're not going to have forward whiplash on the head which greatly increases your chances of survival

https://twitter.com/Jerrycheong/status/1064207428005347328?s=19

the driver lived through this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

seatbelts are absolutely the best form of safety restraint. airbags are officially categorized as "supplemental restraint systems" for a reason.

note that american airbags are more dangerous than european or japanese market airbags; they deploy faster and harder. this is because the foreign logic is "if you can't be bothered to put on your seat belt, you are a moron, and we don't have a duty to compensate for your stupidity." the airbags are designed to keep glass from flying into the car, to restrain your limbs, to keep your head from hitting the window, etc, but not to keep your body in the seat.

in america, lobbyists fought hard to make the airbags protect people who had chosen not to wear their seat belt, and eventually prevailed. so american airbags must duplicate the belt's function of preventing a person of american size from being ejected from the car in a collision, and as a result operate much more quickly and with greater force. this is why they break noses and give you concussions (the effects of course being even more pronounced when you aren't wearing the belt).

see also: american cars all having a secret konami code to permanently disable the seatbelt warning chime because muh first amendment rights or whatever.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

exploded mummy posted:

the driver lived through this

:stare:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Yeah she was teleported through time just before the moment of impact and was meant to be harvested for her organs but she escaped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's really insane what humans can live through if

1) they're strapped in place
2) they're wearing a helmet

hell even just the helmet (+racing suit) part. motogp racers crash their motorcycles at 150mph and just slide a hundred feet on their butt and get up and jump around in anger