Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
you’re either for saving the earth with nuclear power (!) or for genocide by carbon

no the truth is not somewhere in the middle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

gschmidl posted:

Jesus loving Christ I was talking about Germany.

yeah germans love death and are morons.

Shipon posted:

all energy generation has its downsides

You know what’s bettter? Using less loving energy, maybe we should just do that instead

cool slogan but there's actually already been massive decreases in energy used by all sorts of things. this doesn't change that you still need to generate the lesser energy in the first place

eg a modern living room with a big ol 65 inch tv on the wall and the led room lights on and a laptop going and some phones charging? yeah that uses a lot less power than a 90s 28 inch tv and incandescent lights, let alone 60s 20 inch sets using vacuum tubes and even worse incandescent lights

viz: modern 65 inch samsung lcd tv - max power consumption 180 watts at full load, typical use 75 watts. 28 inch sony tv of the late 90s is around 200 watts peak, 150 watts in typical use. 1960s rca 20 inch color tv set? 330 watts max, 300 watts typical (vacuum tubes are loving brutal lol)

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
do those numbers include gamer mode?

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Running my vacuum tube amp to own Fishmech

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

President Beep posted:

do those numbers include gamer mode?

assuming you're talking about the modes they mark "game mode" which turn off a bunch of processing stages to boost latency, that would tend to use a tiny fraction less power by not running the extra processing circuitry. wouldn't otherwise affect it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
game mode needs to use Xtreme(!) amounts of power and I won’t have it any other way. :colbert:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Slippery Tilde
it's kinda surprising that teslas don't already have a "turbo button" somewhere

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Shifty Pony posted:

if Tesla built a nuclear reactor it would fry every electrical device on the grid due to its poorly trained AI determining that voltage sags below 120V at consumer outlets could be eliminated by quadrupling the line voltage.

The reactor fails by venting coolant steam toward the nearest fire truck.

Celexi posted:

A single person died from fukushima.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

there’s no way in hell elon didn’t advocate for something like that

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they already do. it has some monkey cheese name instead of just "turbo" tho

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I wouldn’t trust any of the nuclear apologists itt with running a nuclear station- you have more confidence in not loving up, ever, than I have in you (and it literally takes one gently caress up for game over)

I wish I were more educated on why nuclear is actually only good

This post is discouraging to me, and some days I’m glad that I’m frankly not going to be around to suffer like those under 30 ITT or especially their children.

Like, “well, we had a good run.”

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

President Beep posted:

there’s no way in hell elon didn’t advocate for something like that

Isn't it this?

quote:

The normal Model S can go from 0 to 60 mph in 5.9 seconds. That's pretty fast, but the dual-motor Model S P85D unveiled late last year can get there in just 3.2 seconds, in what's called "insane mode."

Not to be outdone, Tesla one-upped itself again earlier this year with the Model S P90D, which goes from 0 to 60 mph in just 2.8 seconds. That's called "ludicrous mode."

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

gently caress that poo poo. gently caress tesla.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Slippery Tilde

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Slippery Tilde

gschmidl posted:

Isn't it this?

god drat it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

To learn about why nuclear power is good, google “Texas petrochemical explosion,” “Baseload power,” and “DoE US power generation by source”

Integrate the three in your head, then google “IPCC working group 1 report”

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gschmidl posted:

Isn't it this?

I am gobsmacked that he didn’t call it Plaid

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

To learn about why nuclear power is good, google “Texas petrochemical explosion,” “Baseload power,” and “DoE US power generation by source”

Integrate the three in your head, then google “IPCC working group 1 report”

lol. im not trying to argue with or refute this post, but i feel like it should end with “and also loose change”

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

google ron paul and kill your parents

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

dr. ron paul

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

you’re either for saving the earth with nuclear power (!) or for genocide by carbon

no the truth is not somewhere in the middle

This is surprisingly accurate. It is unfortunate that normalcy bias so strongly prevents much of our species from seeing the plain dilemma.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Combat Theory posted:

Not really its run by the same companies here and they obviously opposed the Nuclear ban. it was a post fukushima publicity gag really and to appease the Greens which left the car industry alone afterwards

Nuclear Power is something that doesnt belong in the private hand simply. When Safety so directly opposes Profit its just not sensible. America has emitted enough radioactivity from its commercial Power plants to kill thousands of people and Luck is no real justification for continous operation.

state run nuclear is responsible for the largest disaster in history.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmYMzxA_U-c

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Shaggar posted:

your posts?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Shaggar posted:

it also helps a lot of people electrify their homes. impossible to say if its good or not.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Re: nuclear reactors, there are more modern designs that are focused on passive safety (so they fail safe), like Westinghouse's AP1000 reactor. The problem is they're expensive as poo poo to build compared to a comparable natural gas plant. At least for the AP1000 it didn't help that Westinghouse was trying to build multiple plants at the same time on a design that wasn't fully complete, so every project went way over budget. Ideally they would have built one, learned from their mistakes, built another, rinse and repeat, but instead they went all in and ended up bankrupt.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

france glows in the dark

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Like the cherenkov glow emanating from the intensely irradiated Eiffel tower can be seen from space and may cause our world to appear as a pulsar to distant radio observers, dousing their receiver with energetic rays every 24 hours or so.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

FAUXTON posted:

dousing their receiver with energetic rays every 24 hours or so.

plz don't post my seduction strategy - those are trade secrets

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

nah

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

well, the enola gay and bockscar were property of the US army

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Shaggar posted:

this isn't even remotely true for any given definition of disaster, except those defined as in the 1980s Soviet Union regarding nuclear power in Ukraine.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
right. the statiest of states caused the worst reactor meltdown because they didn't care about safety or competence.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

gschmidl posted:

Chernobyl. The potential of Temelin. Fukushima.

three mile island

nuclear power is safe but America is definitely one of the countries that had at least one meltdown

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
which is funny cause of fishmech’s confident claim that the us never had a nuclear meltdown

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

My Linux Rig posted:

which is funny cause of fishmech’s confident claim that the us never had a nuclear meltdown

that's not what i said, try again.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

My Linux Rig posted:

I think some people argue that it wasn't a ~real~ meltdown (like the dude upthread lol) because no fizzle material left containment just some gas that was irradiated

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

atomic caaaaaar

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Potato Salad posted:

I am gobsmacked that he didn’t call it Plaid

thats an old article

they've since released a second iteration that gave acceleration beyond ludicrous mode

they called it plaid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

not surprised that germanys biggest stick shift nostalgist is a coal fan (continuing to burn lignite for 20 years is criminal lol)

ng is better than coal, less carbon at least avoids the radioactive material dispersed in coal ash. still too much carbon .

standard set of mass produced small passively safe modular reactors makes a lot of sense, but will never happen. hope for lots of industrial pv and batteries i guess