Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Main Paineframe posted:

according to the description and comments, the driver took back control by turning the wheel when they realized the autopilot was gonna send them off the cliff

when they turned the wheel, the car turned off autopilot...and helpfully turned the regular cruise control back on, to whatever speed it had been set to before autopilot was engaged, which was faster than the speed autopilot had been driving at

the driver, unprepared for the unexpected acceleration, overcorrected steered it into the cliff

remember, if the human takes control at the last second and still crashes, that means it's not autopilot's fault

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Jabor posted:

remember, if the human takes control at the last second and still crashes, that means it's not autopilot's fault

so does boeing or tesla pay you better?

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Main Paineframe posted:

according to the description and comments, the driver took back control by turning the wheel when they realized the autopilot was gonna send them off the cliff

when they turned the wheel, the car turned off autopilot...and helpfully turned the regular cruise control back on, to whatever speed it had been set to before autopilot was engaged, which was faster than the speed autopilot had been driving at

the driver, unprepared for the unexpected acceleration, overcorrected steered it into the cliff

hey now let’s not forget that Tesla’s autopilot avoids crashes sometimes!!

*posts video compilation of crashes taken from a dash cam where only one car is a Tesla*

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong: Autopilot was not on when the car crashed. You took over the steering when it went on the right shoulder. After that you over corrected and hit the hill on the left.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

leftist heap posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong: MCAS was not on when the car crashed. You took over the steering when it nosed down. After that you over corrected and hit the hill on the left.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1120842338836725760

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/743600755739754497

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Main Paineframe posted:

this is straight up criminal negligence. i know we say this like every ten pages but jfc

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

:chloe:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
What time is the earnings call

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lofmarf 0:13 stupid rear end car just stops dead in the middle of an intersection confusing the gently caress out of a pickup that is watching it

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Rex-Goliath posted:

this is straight up criminal negligence. i know we say this like every ten pages but jfc

Yeah, thanks heavens that Elon is here to save us from bad drivers like this with his self-driving cars (the Elon invented just after he invented the wheel and also space)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Dumb Lowtax posted:

What time is the earnings call

want to say its 5:30 eastern after the markets close

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Main Paineframe posted:

why would this not be an incredibly obvious design flaw

why would you assume that disengaging autopilot meant you wanted to restart cruise

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/rainnwilson/status/1119283619015593984?s=19

https://twitter.com/rainnwilson/status/1120873131193712640?s=19

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1120901758169935872?s=19

HOW IS THIS EVEN STUPIDER THAN FIRST GLANCE

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/FredericLambert/status/1121152132663730176?s=19

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
HOW

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

holy drat :laffo:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

its me. im the listed company that cannot publish my quarterly reports in time for earnings calls.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

listen the excel macro is still running be patient

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
Non-GAAP loss of $2.90 per share.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Don’t think of it as the share losing value, think of it as increasing potential for future increase when Elons announces that the model 3 will get teleporting as an ÔTA upgrade in two months if you just buy them now, please

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Does that mean GAAP EPS is at like -7?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Was there something about Tesla not following GAAP for ~*~ReAsOnS~*~? Maybe that was one of the ButtCoin companies?

:shrug:

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

all SV companies try that poo poo. Twitter spent years posting plenty of Non-GAAP earnings, but GAAP loses until that one fateful quarter last year.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

refleks posted:

Does that mean GAAP EPS is at like -7?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

(the difference is the 200 million dollars in compensation they paid out in stock)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/YahooFinance/status/1121174655518347265?s=19

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
WHY

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

because no sane insurer will offer insurance at any reasonable price for those shitboxes

mystes
May 31, 2006

To prevent anyone else from getting data on autopilot accidents, making it easier to blame the drivers?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

he won't, he just said that because someone told him teslas were expensive to insure

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Are they? How do the insurance premiums compare to similarly priced cars?

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
catching up on the thread and that mountain road crash video already got deleted :(

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ryde posted:

Are they? How do the insurance premiums compare to similarly priced cars?

significantly higher

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol they're rolling out the next phase of the con because they've identified an extremely gullible and moneyed group of loyal marks

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the rates go up each year too because the cars are basically totaled in even minor accidents and the complete absence of supply chain means the few authorized repair centers won't take them for fear of having them sit for months on end for so much as a bumper.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

your rates will also go up if you turn on "murder mode" on your car

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I'd put money on Tesla insurance using modular pricing depending on what features your car has on and then they'll gently caress up the billing really badly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
I was honestly hoping for the comedy option of Musk reading an analysis of Buffet's investing strategy and how he used insurance float and thinking "I can do that!"