Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FMguru posted:

e: the story is now that the "investigator" they hired was a scam artist who took them for a ride

https://twitter.com/jordan_mcrae_/status/1173743566226624513

lmao. i hope the investigator sues him now too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
elon musk just can't stop libeling people

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

evilweasel posted:

he holds the title of founder, but is not a "founder". it's part of his title, he was declared to be a "founder" but he was not, in fact, a founder of the company

technically the word should have been capitalized but that's about it.

To be fair, he appears to be doing his best to cause Tesla to founder.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

FMguru posted:

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1173713813859971073

lol he spent $50k (at least) digging for some dirt to prove cave guy was a paedo

e: the story is now that the "investigator" they hired was a scam artist who took them for a ride

it blows me away that all he had to do was just apologize and none of this would have happened but he's genuinely incapable

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

'haha it was just a joke' immediately followed by- in the very next paragraph- 'we then hired a PI to investigate this haha just a joke'

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

piddo guy

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FMguru posted:

lol he spent $50k (at least) digging for some dirt to prove cave guy was a paedo

Lmao I'm dead

like imagine being that hero fraudster being like "ok elon the evidence in locker #353 on airside terminal C at tampa international airport, key will be provided upon receipt of payment" and like a week later en route to some space x launch elon diverts his rear end in a top hat express to TIA, lands, gets a key out of a fedex envelope he took with him, opens the locker, finds a manila envelope tied shut with string, carefully unwraps the string, opens the envelope and finds another envelope inside, tears it open frantically and out falls a postcard from the gift shop not 10 feet behind him, with dickbutt drawn on the back.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The shady investigator thing is probably the best way they can think of to claim that Elon had reason to believe what he was saying was true despite not being able to provide any evidence whatsoever to support it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Rex-Goliath posted:

it blows me away that all he had to do was just apologize and none of this would have happened but he's genuinely incapable

Trump brain worms.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

FMguru posted:

i wanna know more about the lawyer who put his name to this obvious perjury

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

flakeloaf posted:

elon musk isn’t a lawyer

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

wait

he's defending this pro se?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

no, he has representation. just that the document under discussion, though written by a lawyer, is written in the first person and signed by him so legally they are his statements.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

no, he has representation. just that the document under discussion, though written by a lawyer, is written in the first person and signed by him so legally they are his statements.

lawyer still knows it's perjury though, submitting the document raises problems with the whole "legitimate, lawful conduct compatible with a desire to search for the truth" thing

should at least slap a sticky note on the front that says "hey judge btw this is bullshit LJC"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

"elon musk says this" is correct and not perjury on the part of the lawyers

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

flakeloaf posted:

someone in this thread or the other one said that the law firm he hired is one that will take ANY ridiculous case regardless of how minuscule the chance of winning is. which uh maybe he didn't plan it but that is pretty much the muskiest way he could've gone. although i bet the pitchmen for the law firm had him pegged within 5 minutes of the first meeting

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

ah i thought it was more of a "this is his defense" thing

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
maybe you should read it again, it’s even more entertaining if you don’t just skim it

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

i didn't read it hte first time because the tweet only linked one picture and, not being logged in, that's all i can see :(

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
So basically how this is going is that he's going to argue that he was originally not serious about the pedo claims and that later he got evidence before making the actual claims, not knowing that the evidence was actually incorrect. Doesn't libel require some sort of element of "willfull or reckless disregard of the truth" in the US?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Lutha Mahtin posted:

someone in this thread or the other one said that the law firm he hired is one that will take ANY ridiculous case regardless of how minuscule the chance of winning is. which uh maybe he didn't plan it but that is pretty much the muskiest way he could've gone. although i bet the pitchmen for the law firm had him pegged within 5 minutes of the first meeting

could also have been the only firm who would take it? although I imagine everyone figures they can bill out the rear end since he will never settle

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

flakeloaf posted:

lawyer still knows it's perjury though, submitting the document raises problems with the whole "legitimate, lawful conduct compatible with a desire to search for the truth" thing

should at least slap a sticky note on the front that says "hey judge btw this is bullshit LJC"

nothing in the declaration directly contradicts an observable fact, the lawyers are fine ethically speaking

lawyer's job isn't to tell the court what the lawyer personally thinks, it's to present the client's position as strongly as possible, as long as you are not misstating a fact to the court or presenting an argument with no legal basis. basically, if you think your client is lying, you can let them tell that story: if you know your client is lying, then that's another story. what was in elon's head is always gonna fall into the "thinking" not "knowing" category.

Vomik posted:

could also have been the only firm who would take it? although I imagine everyone figures they can bill out the rear end since he will never settle

no, Quinn's not a bottom-feeder firm. what i basically said is they're the sort of firm you hire if you're taking your long-shot position all the way to a verdict instead of looking to be reasonable and settle, because they will happily litigate every last long shot that might get you that jackpot victory.

hell, i'd defend elon, with a sizable retainer, as long as my representation was limited to trying to get him out of the consequences of his previous stupid decisions and not anything that could suggest that i had anything to do with his future stupid decisions

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

evilweasel posted:

no, Quinn's not a bottom-feeder firm. what i basically said is they're the sort of firm you hire if you're taking your long-shot position all the way to a verdict instead of looking to be reasonable and settle, because they will happily litigate every last long shot that might get you that jackpot victory.

In my opinion they're the firm you go with if you want a white shoe law firm, but you have more money than business / financial / common sense. So perfect for Musk.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

evilweasel posted:

what was in elon's head is always gonna fall into the "thinking" not "knowing" category.

not better than the current thread title but still very good

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

hobbesmaster posted:

is this the written version of the “narrative approach” to when your client wants to lie on the stand?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AlbieQuirky posted:

is this the written version of the “narrative approach” to when your client wants to lie on the stand?

no, if the lawyers knew he was lying in that declaration they may not file it. but that requires a level of knowledge above common sense and having observed elon, it requires something like him asserting he's never done X when you have video of him doing it

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

evilweasel posted:

no, if the lawyers knew he was lying in that declaration they may not file it. but that requires a level of knowledge above common sense and having observed elon, it requires something like him asserting he's never done X when you have video of him doing it

but how do they handle the fact that it contradicts several of his prior statements? he is in fact asserting that he never meant X when there are several written communications from this that he definitely did mean X.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
it looks like the ring time was the unofficial public short.track, which is a.kilometer shorter than the course the taycan ran

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

it looks like the ring time was the unofficial public short.track, which is a.kilometer shorter than the course the taycan ran

lol

I saw that report and was wondering a bit about it.

that said, given the baseline performance numbers of the tesla, what are its chances at beating the taycan eventually (and you don't care about the state of the internals afterwards obv.)

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Munin posted:

lol

I saw that report and was wondering a bit about it.

that said, given the baseline performance numbers of the tesla, what are its chances at beating the taycan eventually (and you don't care about the state of the internals afterwards obv.)

in an actual meant to be sold production car? almost nil

tesla will put together a time attack frankenstein and offer it for sale for exactly the price of the taycan turbo s but then mysteriously only ever ship like 4

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

the talent deficit posted:

in an actual meant to be sold production car? almost nil

tesla will put together a time attack frankenstein and offer it for sale for exactly the price of the taycan turbo s but then mysteriously only ever ship like 4

And now I have the image of zombie Slim Pickens going "Time Attack Plan RRRRRRRRRRR'?" after James Earl Jones brings him the decode.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

elon did the smart thing and caved

https://twitter.com/big_cases/status/1174342335121055750?s=20

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i don’t know what this means

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Rex-Goliath posted:

i don’t know what this means

arbitration

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

caved like a sick sad dog

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life

quote:

caved

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Midjack posted:

arbitration

no i don’t understand why going to an arbiter is caving. is the arbiter going to determine the settlement or what? isn’t the whole point of this lawsuit to be public?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mediation isn't arbitration. it's just, in essence, a guy who tries to convince both sides to settle. nobody has to accept the mediator's recommendation.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rex-Goliath posted:

no i don’t understand why going to an arbiter is caving. is the arbiter going to determine the settlement or what? isn’t the whole point of this lawsuit to be public?

arbitration terms are private iirc so elon can admit he's wrong, cut the dude a check with a non-disparagement clause attached and it will never be part of the public record that he libeled the dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

qirex posted:

arbitration terms are private iirc so elon can admit he's wrong, cut the dude a check with a non-disparagement clause attached and it will never be part of the public record that he libeled the dude

any settlement of this litigation will be non-public, even if it's not reached through mediation or arbitration. and yeah, the settlement will contain the clauses you're discussing.