Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fishmech posted:

suburbs exist for having low housing prices, while being close to civilization where jobs exist

No, suburbs exist for having excessively large housing while being close to civilization where jobs exist.

Communal areas within higher density housing closer to the city core, and along major transit lines make sense.

Each person having a 2 hour commute so they can have half an acre of lawn and 6 bedrooms for 3 people, and half of every downtown core being parking can go gently caress itself.

Nomnom Cookie posted:

and I’d thought I was being ridiculous. oh well

the solution to housing prices is everyone go to coding boot camp and get a wfh web dev job. except farmers I guess

The solution to housing prices is removing the profit motive with government competition because it turns out apartments don't ROI for 30 years, so every major project is LuXuRy ConDoS with faux marble and a separate entrance for the 8 government mandated poor people units.

TL;DR euthanize all landlords thanks for reading my blog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

Each person having a 2 hour commute so they can have half an acre of lawn and 6 bedrooms for 3 people, and half of every downtown core being parking can go gently caress itself.

This is happening somewhat as millennials want to actually buy housing near things, but it comes with a side of gentrification

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

This is happening somewhat as millennials want to actually buy housing near things, but it comes with a side of gentrification

While gentrification is an issue that needs to be addressed, a lot of the areas being gentrified are extremely unhealthy, largely due to racist policies destroying their own tax base and racist companies refusing to invest in minority neighborhoods. California is working a rent control bill through which will somewhat curb gentrification, while also giving poor neighborhoods the opportunity to adopt a few mouthy white folks who will actually get listened to when they point out the local services are in severe disrepair, and the only grocery stores within an hour's walk are dollar stores that only sell canned food.

It would be great to figure out a balance between the destruction of local culture and insular homogeneous communities, but steps towards that like school integration are fought tooth and nail by even the most vocal left leaning talking heads like Samantha Bee. Rent control goes a long way in that regard, but the damage has already been done, and housing is already extremely unaffordable to people in most minority communities.

You just have to look up the gerrymandering NYC did to use federal low-income grant money to build fancy white folk housing in Hudson Yards to realize this problem isn't going to be fixed any time soon.

This image makes me sick to my stomach.

TL;DR kill whitey

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Powershift posted:

TL;DR kill whitey

I'm Whitey and I apologise.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Powershift posted:

You just have to look up the gerrymandering NYC did to use federal low-income grant money to build fancy white folk housing in Hudson Yards to realize this problem isn't going to be fixed any time soon.

This image makes me sick to my stomach.

TL;DR kill whitey

if i'm reading this right, the outlined area is considered to be one continuous unit/division/whatever, and
they built all the low-income housing named after famous black people as required by the grant way up at one end, and fancy white people housing at the other end, with a chain of nominally connected blocks wandering their way through the city so that they're actually not even remotely near each other?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fishmech posted:

suburbs exist for having low housing prices, while being close to civilization where jobs exist

That’s row houses.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
I might be remembering wrong, but i think the Samantha Bee thing is based on the last possible charitable reading of what happened and was literally original published by the Daily Caller

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sagebrush posted:

if i'm reading this right, the outlined area is considered to be one continuous unit/division/whatever, and
they built all the low-income housing named after famous black people as required by the grant way up at one end, and fancy white people housing at the other end, with a chain of nominally connected blocks wandering their way through the city so that they're actually not even remotely near each other?

New York scammed the Federal government.

quote:

New York takes a rather liberal approach to drawing these lines. Empire State Development, the economic development agency for the New York state government, determines the boundaries for qualifying TEAs. Under state law, the agency has the authority to string together an unlimited number of census tracts in order to achieve the desired aggregate unemployment standard. Think of it as a form of creative financial gerrymandering.

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2019/04/hudson-yards-financing-eb5-investor-visa-program-immigration/586897/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Yup. If you click the image it will take you to an article on it.

quote:

Here’s how these requirement works: EB-5 visa applicants must invest a minimum of $500,000 in a project within a designated geographic area called a targeted employment area, or TEA. To be eligible for this financing, a project needs to qualify as falling within a TEA—which is going to be either a rural area or a distressed urban area. For an urban area to count as a TEA, it has to meet a certain unemployment threshold (150 percent of national unemployment).

Lower Manhattan doesn’t meet this unemployment threshold, so Hudson Yards, on its own, can’t qualify as a distressed urban area. However, when Congress created the EB-5 visa as a part of immigration reform legislation in 1990, lawmakers did not specify how states should draw up the geographic boundaries for a TEA.

Bonus:

quote:

Over the years, this cash-for-visas program has collected a curious collection of political friends and enemies. Despite the benefits it has showered on the Trumps and Kushners, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer might be the biggest defender of the EB-5 status quo in Congress.

They have class solidarity, do you?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

I might be remembering wrong, but i think the Samantha Bee thing is based on the last possible charitable reading of what happened and was literally original published by the Daily Caller

The wording he used was mischaracterized, but the crux of his argument wasn't. Basically they wanted to bus poor kids to schools in rich neighborhoods and rich kids to schools in poor neighborhoods to level the playing field, and combine schools currently segregated largely by wealth and therefore race. Rich white people complained about the "logistics of driving their kids to school" and didnt mention race.

quote:

I read the newspaper for some reason, I can’t believe it’s still around, but it disheartens me to wake up in the morning and see that the Upper West side is divided. We are not divided, we are absolutely united in wanting what’s best for our children. Whether that means a bigger place for our children to learn, or wanting to keep it here, we are all united in wanting what’s best for them.

That said. When you scroll down and you read rhetoric from some parents that suggests that you are opposed to this move ‘those against this idea are terrified of what it would look like if the school were to be in an area by the projects’ is dishonest at best and slanderous at worst.

So I urge you A, to stop talking to the press. This is a private matter, I think, from our community. This story doesn’t exist without your quotes.

And this goes for both sides too. Because the other quote is just insane from the other side, suggesting that opposing the relocation, that a high-performing school like this could not move to a (inaudible) poor area and not change, shows very little respect for these incredible teachers.

So just be mindful of when you speak, if you’re going to speak to the press, because slandering or saying anything negative about this teaching staff is wrong. And, conversely, painting any opposition as classist or racist is about as bad as it can get.

So it's TOTALLY just about geography and traffic.

TL;DR (inaudible)

Powershift fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 23, 2019

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

fishmech posted:

but they're not close

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

quote:

The EB-5 visa program has come under increasing scrutiny in recent years, owing to a number of fraudulent real-estate schemes financed via investor visa dollars. In one notorious episode, two Vermont financiers built a resort complex—water park and all—using EB-5 funds, including $200 million that they misappropriated. They were planning a rural biotechnology campus before the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission brought the hammer down. The stink on this scheme rose so high that the federal agency that administers the investor visa program terminated the state’s EB-5 program.

lol techbros gonna techbro

https://jaypeakresort.com/
https://jaypeakresort.com/summer/disc-golf

Powershift fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 23, 2019

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
neoliberal social policy that depends on targeted tax cuts and tax abatement zones always, always, always end up being gamed this way (which is why neoliberals support them, of course)

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Dunno why the exact idea of job in this thread hovers around things you strictly do in a city. If you work in the heavy industry, energy, mining, agriculture, off shore, naval industry or aeronautics you will very likely work in an installation that's isolated from any human residency and for good reason.

Damning people for not living in a city because that's where jobs are is the same level of stupid as thinking a car designed for Californian summers can get you through the winter in Central Europe.

Combat Theory fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Sep 23, 2019

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if ppl want to live far away from civilisation that’s fine as long as they stay there, the problem with cars is fuckos living in the suburbs and driving into the city, collectively taking up thousands of acres of space in parking

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

cities own

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

People still falling for fishmech bad-faith posts itt

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

it’s just fun to yell about cars being bad op

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Combat Theory posted:

Dunno why the exact idea of job in this thread hovers around things you strictly do in a city. If you work in the heavy industry, energy, agriculture, off shore, naval industry or aeronautics you will very likely work in an installation that's isolated from any human residency and for good reason.

Damning people for not living in a city because that's where jobs are is the same level of stupid as thinking a car designed for Californian summers can get you through the winter in Central Europe.

I don't know why you're constantly defending suburban sprawl. Industrial areas being separated from residential doesn't mean those residential areas can't benefit from densification, specifically around mass transit. I don't know why society as a whole can't take a more ethical approach to land use, and perhaps more specific to North America, public common areas.

That isn't to say every family shall be assigned 1 housing unit in a boring grey tower block, but living near your job shouldn't be a luxury. Infill mansions should be seized without compensation for higher density housing. Industrial areas should be serviced by mass transit, with rent controlled housing along the transit lines.

This topic being discussed in this thread is usually focused on the "my self driving car will drop me off and drive home" aspect which is largely centered around the suburb-city commute. nobody's damning anybody for not living in a city. To quote Ralph Waldo Emerson, "Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that i am persecuted whenever i am contradicted."

TL;DR gently caress rurals, the sister loving fascist lovers

jesus WEP posted:

it’s just fun to yell about cars being bad op

cars indeed bad

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

jesus WEP posted:

if ppl want to live far away from civilisation that’s fine as long as they stay there, the problem with cars is fuckos living in the suburbs and driving into the city, collectively taking up thousands of acres of space in parking

Yes I completely agree with you.

Sorry for the misinterpretation on my end.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Remote-living idiot here. Just give me better public transit already.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MononcQc posted:

no, only car

love car or leave

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

MononcQc posted:

i thought the whole idea about being remote was living wherever you wanted

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

i thought the whole idea about being remote was living wherever you wanted

I meant remote as in "in a remote region" where I was born. This place is around 160k people, but public transit is mostly used for people who go to work and come back after, and usually very lacking for everything else. I.e. most bus lines end at 6pm on the week-ends, so better hope you never want to do anything aside from going to work.

Mostly there's still the perception that public transit is for poors, not something that should be good enough and convenient to make even the well-off people want to use it.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
i resent being characterized as jumping into thread when i have been shitposting here for a while

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

but they're not close

don’t use nuance with anime avatars and especially not fishmech

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

TerminalRaptor posted:

Thread mcas light blinks furiously

you better believe I am activating my stick shaker

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

MononcQc posted:

I meant remote as in "in a remote region" where I was born. This place is around 160k people, but public transit is mostly used for people who go to work and come back after, and usually very lacking for everything else. I.e. most bus lines end at 6pm on the week-ends, so better hope you never want to do anything aside from going to work.

Mostly there's still the perception that public transit is for poors, not something that should be good enough and convenient to make even the well-off people want to use it.

get out of the Ottawa valley, that’s your problem

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Cocoa Crispies posted:

don’t use nuance with anime avatars and especially not fishmech

I thought nuance and pedantry was fishmechs wheelhouse

crystal Ghost
Sep 5, 2019
it is

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
tesla driver causes northwest valley crash that kills 1, injures others

quote:

LAS VEGAS (FOX5) -- Las Vegas Metropolitan police said one person died and several were injured after an accident involving multiple vehicles in the northwest valley.

Officers were called to the area of West Cheyenne Avenue and Soft Breezes Drive, near North Buffalo Drive, around 9:45 a.m. on Sept. 22, Metro Lt. Brian Boxler said.

Police said a 2019 Tesla Model 3 was speeding while going east on Cheyenne. The Tesla drove through a red light at Soft Breezes and hit a 2018 Honda CR-V that was turning left onto South Breezes.

The crash broke off the Honda's wheel assembly, motor and transmission.

Debris from that crash flew southeast into a 2002 Chrysler van, which was stopped at the intersection.

The Tesla then rotated toward the southeast corner of the intersection, hitting four pedestrians who were sitting on a low retaining wall, police said.

One pedestrian hit reported no injuries, while two others had minor injuries, according to police. The fourth, a 28-year-old man, had critical injuries.

Both people in the Honda were taken to University Medical Center in critical condition. The passenger, a 62-year-old woman, died at the hospital, while the driver, a 70-year-old man, remained hospitalized, fighting for his life.

Police said the driver of the Tesla, 32-year-old Gabriel Haas, was also taken to UMC, where he was being treated for injuries and investigated for impairment.

This was the 75th traffic-related fatality for LVMPD.

halt and catch red light

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Zamujasa posted:

tesla driver causes northwest valley crash that kills 1, injures others

quote:

passenger, a 62-year-old woman, died at the hospital, while the driver, a 70-year-old man
halt and catch red light

Look, if you let old people on the roads, you're just asking for someone else to run a red light and hit them, then careen off into some nearby pedestrians. Tesla isn't to blame here.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

TheDarkFlame posted:

Look, if you let old people on the roads, you're just asking for someone else to run a red light and hit them, then careen off into some nearby pedestrians. Tesla isn't to blame here.

"Police said the driver of the Tesla, 32-year-old Gabriel Haas, was also taken to UMC, where he was being treated for injuries and investigated for impairment."

i think that the 70 year old driver wasn't the one driving the tesla

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that was their point yes

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Zamujasa posted:

that was their point yes

derp i red good

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Nfcknblvbl posted:

derp i red good

better not cross a road near any teslas then

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Soricidus posted:

better not cross a road near any teslas then

even worse, i own one

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nfcknblvbl posted:

even worse, i own one

yeah that’s what we heard.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've played sim city. just dense industrial next to dense residential plus a fire station why is this difficult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
ban cars