Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Tesla is asking their suppliers to take a retroactive haircut on parts they've already shipped:

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2018/07/tesla-to-suppliers-take-a-hit-to-make-us-great/

we assumed you were going to do it for the exposure

This is not going to end well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Shocking that ignoring critics and not looking critically at your own brand might sink you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ol qwerty bastard posted:

back a few years ago when everyone was starting to get excited about self-driving tech after seeing a Google car drove slowly around a parking lot i predicted that probably some idiot was going to get a car with lane assist and adaptive cruise control and think that that equals full automation; i just never expected that idiot to be tesla motors inc lmao

What I don't understand is how Tesla didn't manage to foresee a scenario where a care in front of them merges to avoid a stopped car, and they couldn't catch that.

Like, this happens so often in normal traffic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bloody posted:

tesla doesnt employ real engineers because being an engineer requires having a set of ethics

Libertarianism is more common among Mechanical/Electrical Engineers.....so ethics might be a strong term.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

Wait, so do I understand correctly he refused direction to clean up the things he was complaining about? Seems a reasonable enough cause for termination to me. Whether the subsequent acts are reasonable remains to be seen but an employee generally doesn't get to just say no to their employer when directed to do something. This guy wasn't an engineer, as far as I can tell. He worked in the facility and had complained about the waste. That ought to shoot down his claims of wrongful termination pretty easily under most US labor law, even if he'd actually followed the rules about whistleblowing to begin with. (He had not done so.)

As far as the unsubstantiated claims of robots damaging the product, we've literally not seen evidence of this outside his claims have we? If so I've missed it entirely and one would think the folks who are shorting Tesla and stirring the pot on Twitter, etc, would have eben all over that one.

Dont't worry, Musk says it's fake news. Go about your day, citizen.

I'm sure a company building cars out of tents in vacant lots and struggling to resolve panel gap issues is totally not ad-hocing battery repairs on volitale rare earth metal batteries.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
"We don't need QA/UAT, we just need to pound out a really insecure and buggy product! Jackpot!"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'd still own a Tesla, but I'd laugh about the people praising its quality.

akadajet posted:

i always thought of it as the android of cars

Nah, its the iPhone accessories pack of cars.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
"I"M SO SMART, JUST TAKE MY LIBEL ACCUSATION AT FACE VALUE, YOUR HONOR!" -Musk, shouting over the people trying to wave him off.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

NASCAR is dead because paved Oval Track racing is boring and antiquated. Only thing in NASCAR worth seeing is the wrecks/drama.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

exploded mummy posted:

nascar is well ahead of you and has a solution to oval racing

Meh, they just did that to attract the groups that hover around Petite LeMons at Road Atlanta, who actually have money and talented racers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mewse posted:

Imagine discovering the security system you're investigating was publicly compromised 13 years ago

....that's normal, unfortunately :smithicide:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
In less Tesla news, NASA has confirmed against it's not going to pay for the BFR, so it's wholly a SpaceX endeavor at this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Truga posted:

airforce is buying funnelling at least 100m into the raptor engine that'll be used on the BFR, so not 100% spacex endeavour, but also spacex is charging NASA and other govt people 100m per launch while the commercial launches are 30-40% cheaper.

saying NASA isn't going to pay for BFR is a bit naive, i think :v:

We'll see how long that lasts since the Air Force is not thrilled about his pot smoking endeavor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Not a Children posted:

Haha what

That poo poo only matters for enlisted and/or those who are trying to claim worker's comp

No, it matters. Hobbesmaster already covered why.

Here's the issue: Musk is currently burning a LOT of bridges and generating bad PR for his companies. The USAF may only be looking at the pot incident, but I guarantee his ongoing spat with the Cave Diver and his SEC investigation is also being brought up.

He's not doing his company any favors right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

i believe the traditional military industrial complex thing to do is to find a clearable minority veteran woman to run a shell company that subcontracts everything to spacex :v:

This is the correct DoD method.

"And we'll call it SpaceY"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

musk is probably too proud to do something like this even on paper

The similarly named Kerbal mod might be upset with him anyways if he did.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Raytheon: Weaponizing Flowers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

also musk thought robots were magic and could assemble 100% of the car and move so fast you can't even see them clearly and the only reason people weren't already using robots like this was other companies were too silly and old fashioned and needed ~disrupting~

i don't want that point to ever be lost, musk genuinely believed he could hit all those absurd goals he set because he took the idea "robots are magic god-creatures that are only ever artificially held back by humans" as clear, obvious fact without question

The best part is: Other companies ARE using a lot of robots, but they also have better QA due to decades of lessons and are willing to stop the line to make process improvements to the robots.

Elon just hoped that you could slap robots in there and be done with it, yet every robotics company will tell you that robots add a layer of complexity that, while improving production flow, require careful QA and rigid process training.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

when people find out I work with industrial robots theyre inevitably like "haha so when are they going to take over the world" and honestly i think it's a classification error; the word "robot" is just too broad

there's like zero overlap between the type of robot you use in auto manufacturing and the type that can use deep learning or whatever to deal with unexpected situations, and from the standpoint of a robot, a soft part being in a slightly different configuration is an "unexpected situation"

things like installing wiring harnesses or placing those flame barrier mats on top of the battery modules are so clearly suited to human hands and Musk is a goddamn moron if he somehow can't understand this

Yeah, certain simple tasks are just done faster by humans, agreed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

*Makes jerking off motions* Eventually!

I can't wait till thousands of compromised IoT robot masturbators crush their owner's penises and humanity shines brightly.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
How bad does a billion dollar CEOs week have to be to beg people to come sell his product?

That can't be good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mewse posted:

the nerdboner is for automated intersections without lights where cars cross-stitch across the intersection

:stare: For the love of all that is holy, no.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. is fallout in russia and it's far better than any fallout game anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqThj1F8V7k

Atomic Heart is totally Fallout in Russia

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

why isn't the fail safe override "disconnect the spark plugs and roll to a stop"

genuine question, cuz as a kid i crashed a (janky, cobbled-together, originally found in a junkyard) moped into a tree and destroyed my knee and had to have it rebuilt and learn to walk again over the course of 6 months and my dad's solution to make the thing "safe" was 'install a switch that cuts the ignition so you'll just roll to a stop quickly before you hit anything'

that moped later went on to rip all the skin off a friend's leg because the centrifugal clutch that your fleshy legmeat sat right next to didn't have any sort of guard, so dad fashioned one out of sheet metal and kept right on riding the drat thing, problem solved

Larger vehicles do have an ignition cut in case of crash, also cuts the fuel pump, but its re-settable if you turn the key off and back on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
....who is the 10% that didn't lose it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

luxury car owner doesnt care that their turn signals dont work, checks out kgob

It works great, other than the air conditioning/heater

Sweating/Freezing in the lap of luxury

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ADINSX posted:

I bought a GTI about a year ago and aside from the front seats being a little narrow on my legs its been fine. The idea that "an audi is a rebadged VW" is sort of a selling feature if you're buying the latter, and it was the styling and appointment of the cabin that really sold me on the GTI vs hot hatches from Ford, etc. Maybe its all cheap widow dressing but it worked on me.

Well, to be fair, they largely are rebadged VWs, and I say that as an Audi nutcase. After the B3/B4 platform, VW forced Audi to begin using a shared platform for almost all their cars, at least chassis wise. Audi was allowed to use different paneling, interior, etc, but the engines and powertrain had to share common components with VWs.

The only Audis that Audi has full creative control over is S models.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 20, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Speeduino is starting to give Megasquirt a run for it's money.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I maintain 30+ year old vehicles, and for the most part if you can't find the replacement parts, there's a part like it out there, or it can be made fairly easy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

you mean sourcing all of our fresh water from desalinators would put additional selection pressure on the least fit? how is that something a techlord would object to

There's more to it than that: Desalinization is also raising the salinity of ocean water world wide. Not good.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

not really, but it can locally elevate salinity in more confined bodies of water

but that's not really comparable to the changing oceanic conditions caused by climate change, which can include increasing and decreasing salinity

The problem is increasingly large amounts of seawater is being sourced for drinking water, and while desalinization is not large enough right now to be an issue, with inland fresh water being steadily depleted, its going to mean more desalinization in the future, with catastrophically exponential amounts of fresh water being sourced from the sea.

Its going to have an impact.

http://pacinst.org/publication/desal-marine-impacts/

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

its not like the water disappears after it gets desalinated, piped to me, and peed in. local salinity increases: yes duh. global: how?

Its usually not drained back into the ocean either, usually municipal water systems do not drain immediately back into their sources.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

so you are saying that the water does disappear, just after i stop looking at it

.....no. Why would that be your takeaway?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

im trying to understand how the total volume of water in the ocean decreases due to desalination

Mixture changes, not volume.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

lol your own source describes the impacts as acutely local

"These impacts, however, are not well understood. More research is needed, especially to understand the long-term impacts. "

oh where is the additional salt coming from. it wasn't clear to me where in the remove water from ocean -> desalinize -> dump waste into ocean process we are adding salt

After removal from the water, the salt is discharged, however it does not tend to re-mix as readily as it was mixed at time of desalinization, and sinks to the bottom of the ocean rather than returning to normal concentration.

I'll admit, the issue is just starting to be researched, but much like ocean acidity, its likely we don't fully understand the impact and that is no reason to ignore it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Nov 27, 2018

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

idk you sounded pretty clear on the impact

When has humans dumping mass quantities of something into something ever been "You know what, this'll have no long term impacts whatsoever" been the result?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

El_Elegante posted:

i mean, look at you’re posts

In the future, they will be great sources of hydration.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

the water cycle is the original trickle-down economics

Waterfall economics?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hailthefish posted:

I'm sure someone will start building lovely resorts and planting palm trees in georgia and the carolinas before too long

Disneyworld: Macon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Plenty of fatbergs to go around.