Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
*rescuers bring out another kid out to safety*

Musk: well anyway if you need my sub here it is.

Rescuers: yeah, thanks dude :thumbsup:

*Musk leaves in a huff*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

big scary monsters posted:

the kids are rescued, everyone's packed up and gone home, elong musks sub just lying ignored in the cave waters like a discarded beer can

The second best outcome
(Best would have been if that rescuer didn't die)

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

President Beep posted:

sorry. that’d be CH4 asphyxiation.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Someone post the bit about Astro Teller trying to angrily open a conference room door while wearing rollerblades

lmao

http://fortune.com/2016/06/10/silicon-valley-astro-teller

quote:

The New Yorker added that Teller left the room “in a huff.” But he had trouble getting out in part because he was wearing Rollerblades to the meeting.

“Then there was this awkward moment of him fumbling with his I.D. badge, trying to get the door to open,” Kemper said in the interview. “It felt like it lasted an hour. We were all trying not to laugh.”

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

infernal machines posted:

this is what happens when you let programmers call themselves engineers

no you see making cars is like playing starcraft you just need a high apm

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

President Beep posted:

lmao. this is what i get for being brave and asking questions?????

im glad you did because I didn't know any of that either

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

ADINSX posted:

intelligent people are likke overclocked processors, sure those numbers may look sick as poo poo and your rig is killin it on hardocp but if u try and run serious calculations u might get errors. It would be better to invest in more RAM and a slower processor that can really take time and reflect on the answers it gives

I think it's more like intelligent people have fast CPU but irrational people run lovely software

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Eeyo posted:

this kind of infrastructure seems fundamentally incapable of handling pedestrians.

just put pedestrians on self driving segways

if anything it would make for a cool looking dystopian sci-fi urban setting

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

"my bumper might fall off if it rains hard but now i can play atari games on my car!"

https://twitter.com/marc_benton/status/1046746987314335747

I'm the easter egg tray

"guys guys we now have an extensible system to add easter eggs to our car's clown show ui"

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
stymie doesn't have a dog tits avatar for a few days and hell breaks lose

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
there defo will be a handful of die hard hold outs keeping their teslas working and maintaining their own servers and lamenting that "they don"t make em like that anymore" for years and years after the company disappears

i can see it become the amiga of cars

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
this is a far cry from the engineering excellence I have come to expect from somethingawful dot com

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Poniard posted:

When is Elon gonna adopt the Tesla lifestyle and become obsessed with pigeons and the number 3

think he's gonna embrace the trump lifestyle and put his brand on increasingly disparate products in gold letters

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

why isn't the fail safe override "disconnect the spark plugs and roll to a stop"

you'd lose engine braking and it would probably be fairly dangerous in some situations like a downward slope

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
hes got nothing on the bogdanoff brothers

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Last Chance posted:

users have no idea what they actually realistically need or want in a product besides it loving working properly

sometimes we do play tests of our latest game or new features in development where we bring in a few players and even though we do ask them to rate how fun they think the experience is it's also a lot about observing them and seeing where they struggle, where they get lost for a lack of directions, what feature they aren't using and why, what is too easy or too hard or frustrating etc.

we have video feeds both of them and of their screen along with an eye tracking thing that tells us what they are looking at and it's super useful for the UX people to diagnose issues such as important prompts or feedback not being visible enough or not displayed at the right time

I suppose that user testing for industrial products is similar in that it's probably more about observing people using the product than just asking them what they want

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

what's so surprising about that? their sensor suite is a pencil beam radar and a bunch of webcams. the radar evidently shits itself if there are spurious reflections (e.g. anything overhead) and the vision suite can't reliably tell a 13-ton vehicle from open road in anything other than optimal lighting at low speeds.

then since they know the autopilot can't deal with it they should flag the overpass as "autopilot should warn the user upon approach and stop the car if the user hasn't taken over"

but well "safety third"

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
tesla + cold weather =

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

ehh i wouldn't stretch inventing dynamite with mass murder

its not like he invented an easy to use and maintain assault weapon

wikipedia posted:

by his death his business had established more than 90 armaments factories, despite his belief in pacifism

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
my parents kept a washing machine for 25 years. my dad repaired it multiple times, he changed the belt, the drum, perhaps even the motor once, can't remember

i would help him and it seemed almost as much work as working on a car

the brand was "lincoln" and i can't even find any info on it on google now, not sure if it was an obscure brand or w/e

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

MononcQc posted:

I would probably try to end my suffering and drive into a firetruck

difficulty: your brain jar is in a data center somewhere so you just killed a bunch of innocent people

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
just replace lane markers with thin internet connected separation walls that automatically fold down when a car wants to switch lane

im the next elon skum give me money

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

sorry people like me's demand for "box to get me to work that i super don't want to think about any more than i have to" is ruining stuff so bad you're making the jump to the murder brown people industry

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

“I got autopilot now, I should be fine to drive sleepy now!”

*sun glare reflects off a puddle at the Tesla, car immediately right turns into a fire truck.*

see, he would have fallen asleep at 75mph on the highway even without autopilot, therefore,

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
hmm maybe we need some sort of process and organizations through which the industrie could come together and define standards

elon: nah, better decide on my own and then throw a tantrum when others dont just adopt my solution

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

idk I think the real answer is not to poo poo on someone’s dead relative lol

lol you're expecting social graces from nerds

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Elon Musk's about to make you his bitch.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
blood for the blood ai

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
don't mind that teslas are dumber than poo poo and will kill themselves if you don't take an absurd amount of precautions

you have to drive one to get it!!!!!

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
poor old tesla, thought of fire trucks and died

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

drgitlin posted:

wow, if you’re calling me a bazinga you really don’t have the first loving clue, do you? welcome to my ignore list, cretin.

lol getting mad on yospos

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
only professionals can determine whether things are good or bad

it's impossible to form an opinion on anything if you're not paid for it

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
the professional opinion haver has logged in

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

um, i think you'll find that forums poster KGOB clearly stated that those were all the fabricated delusions of a single deranged tesla hater

if you haven't driven a Tesla or are a car journalist it;s impossible to say if wheels that randomly pop out of the car are good or bad

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Lord Stimperor posted:

I wouldn't blame the pilots for failing to fix what amounted to a barely documented features in their aircraft, during flight, during a dangerous situation. I mean the captain from the last plane that fell was a seasoned veteran who had been flying safely for decades.

it wasn't barely documented, it was not documented before the first crash
also the pilots of the second crash followed the procedure given by boeing after the first and crashed anyway

but brown people, amirite :rolleyes:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Shaggar posted:

state run nuclear is responsible for the largest disaster in history.

privately run nuclear is responsible for the other largest disaster in history

for fun, go compare the list of nuke power incidents in the us and in france

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

fishmech posted:

Ah yes a disaster that didn't touch anyone outside the plant, in the midst of a tsunami and earthquake.

Cool two lists showing 0 people affected outside the plants too

im sure the people evacuated from the 30km zone around Fukushima were unaffected. also poisoning the environment doesn't matter

the lists shows that privately run nuke plants have more fuckups

btw I'm not even arguing against nuke power, you loving idiot

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

fishmech posted:

also nah bro it doesn't show jackshit of importance

it shows that the private sector can't be trusted for these things. It requires longer term thinking and corporation are worse at this than governments (which are not great either)

"oh but it's fine to gently caress up, we were lucky and no one died" is not an acceptable attitude

quote:

you are sure peddling anti nuke bullshit

you can be for something and yet still criticize it you manchild

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lmao at getting baited by obstipator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

It's gonna be real good when Elon dies in a Tesla crash

you say that but Twitter will fill up with cringy pictures of crying nerds like for Steve Jobs