Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

I'm still amazed that italian elon musk was what finally got twitter to create a name auto-ban

talk about taking a joke account way too seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

hahawhat

oh right, i forgot they never actually went after the massive number of bots on their platform because they need them to keep subscriber numbers high

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

how does verifying an email address stop the bots though
it offloads the detection to some company that cares more than you and has thought / spent more than you, the one providing the address

it makes it easy to ban hordes coming from the same address / global region

adds another hurdle to mass registration of accounts

it doesn't stop but it sure slows them down

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

~hello boys~

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

imagine a very serious prosecutor graveling "Do you recognize these words on this page, after the user shadenboner" to ol' musky

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

Bund posted:

where is the like button? I would like to recognize some good posts
we have renamed the digg button

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

always remember:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

Trig Discipline posted:

well if it's going to be that kind of party i guess it's time for me to admit that i'm grimes

sounds fishy

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

this is my favorite link so far because it's a straight cut and paste with absolutely no reporting or commentary, just a unashamed bid for clicks

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

you really think someone would do that? just go on the internet and tell lies?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

that little ditty is right up there with sagebrush’s lionel hutz business card edit, imo.
good point gonna stolen valor the poo poo out of it

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

It's just lovely in a regular old capitalism sort of way. It's hard to get mad at them overworking employees when they tell you up front in the interview and there's an endless line of people lined up to work there

ol' musky is fairly limited in the damage he can do because every single process is examined and signed off of ahead of time and can't be altered by a guy kramering in

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

has anyone figured out if they're actually saving money by reusing the first stage?

how many payloads do they have to lose before they're not any more?
not just that specifically but it all adds up to a lot. it's somewhere a little north of half price. sourcing parts inhouse and all sorts of sensible poo poo, plus a rabidly dedicated employee list let them come in like a streamlined wrecking ball to an industry grown fat and bloated over half a lifetime of consistent no-bid government contracts

he absolutely broke the back of domestic rocketry monopoly and it's possibly the only positive contribution he's ever personally made

it also would not have been possible to do it commercially, the only reason it worked is smart rocket scientists and his competitors having a 50%+ profit margin

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

are they actually saving 40% or is that their projected savings? a bunch of their launches still don't even land the stages so it doesn't really seem like it's an operational feature yet...

the flyback is built into the cost of the launch, so launches where it's available are significantly cheaper

and yeah as far as anyone including them can tell they basically dust the engines off, change some seals and send it right back up again. It's significant savings even with two boats and refurbish cost

Bhodi fucked around with this message at Sep 5, 2018 around 03:30

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

the competition is making ULA even more lovely, for example they used to have one ground test / checkout crew per launch site (so one each at vandenberg and the cape) but to cut costs they fired one of the crews and now fly the single remaining crew back and forth across the entire goddamn US for every single launch since i guess that's marginally cheaper
ULA is turbo hosed and is the poster child for government contractor excess as well as a company dinosaur unable to change when the world shifts underneath them, all they can do is hold tighter to what they still have and try to sabotage what they don't because their executives have lived their entire lives in a no-bid bubble that started in the 60's, they literally do not know how to innovate or compete, they only started designing a reusable rocket in response to spacex and... let's just say it's not going well

they're the rim of rocketry

Bhodi fucked around with this message at Sep 5, 2018 around 03:42

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

fermun posted:

where space-x is makes a tradeoff is that they use kerosene/oxygen for everything so that they can use another of the same engine for the second stage with a more optimized nozzle for upper atmosphere/space. it's cheaper and better for a lot of production things to use the same rocket engine for everything, however that does sacrifice 2nd stage efficiency. united launch alliance uses hydrogen/oxygen rockets for second stage instead and those are about 30% more efficient, so if you want to put a payload in medium earth orbit (2000km to geosynchronous at 35,786km) or higher, you may need to pay for an atlas rocket from ula instead.

ula starts their human-rating tests for atlas v in january whereas spacex was able to start in may this year
haven't been super keeping up with it but last i read they can't even come close to price parity with their best case reuse option (parachutes, not powered descent) and were really, really hoping nasa would just deny spacex a human flight cert or just refocus their efforts on parts of the market that the falcon literally can not reach

Bhodi fucked around with this message at Sep 5, 2018 around 04:23

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

iospace posted:

The thing about SpaceX is a lot of the heavy lifting, including reusable engines, was done by NASA (and Russia). Orbital mechanics and launch profiles were well established by that point. The only development they really can lay claim to was a usable first stage, but you could argue that the shuttle was mostly reusable except the external tank.
the SSME refirb cost was essentially the same as building a new engine from scratch. It was the most finally tuned piece of equipment humanity has ever created and is likely the most efficient rocket motor that will ever exist, but reusable it was not

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

iospace posted:

Let me have my narrative
I think they replaced more than half the engine by weight

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

this is why i was asking about the profitability of space-x's version. i imagine them not bouncing off the ocean probably saves significantly on refurb costs, but i wasn't sure what the tradeoff was for return fuel and general refurb

I'm phone posting or I'd find the article but to answer your question i think they break even after 1 reuse, everything added together and as far as I'm aware there's no technical limit on engine reuses though they said they'd retire an engine after i think 5? And of course discount launches with them and nothing critical goes up with them, it's all actuary tables and negotiated cost, wear offset somewhat by proven working engine

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

i don't quite buy the "no technical limit" bit, thermal cycling and vibration are a bitch. i mean i don't doubt that reusing the first stage is a good idea, or that they're saving money on the whole thing, i'm just real suspicious because i don't trust musk or spacex to tell the whole story on, well, anything really. hell even their launch footage is really strictly controlled and edited down, more so than even commercial atlas / delta launches. there's quite a bit the public doesn't get to see, it's weird
I mean no limit found as of yet, every engine has come back well enough so far, obviously everything had a limit though. It's all govt contracts so it's not like they need to start cutting corners esp because any failures will drop the price of future reuses, there's no cost incentive to push the limits

I love the idea of a space bouncy castle but that company... even the sanitized carefully edited wikipedia page makes bigelow sound like a rich wastrel throwing money at a pipe dream. I still can't believe what started out as a patent holding company actually made a thing that's attached to the iss, even provisionally

It'd be pretty funny if the vaunted manned mars mission had to use ULA because they needed the extra fairing size over the falcon

Bhodi fucked around with this message at Sep 5, 2018 around 04:50

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

another satisfied customer

https://twitter.com/PlugInFUD/statu...147515486306304

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

i appreciate all y'alls thoughts and prayers but like, the reason i am joking about the battery thing is i'm aware that it was a dumb move. it was several years ago and i wasn't quite as thoughtful as i am now and i didn't realize how easily i could have burned my car to the ground until i pulled the battery out and it was puffed up like a pillow. (though i still think i coulda yeeted it into the street before any major damage was done to the car)

but anyway because nothing bad happened i can joke about it, in the same way i can joke about when i ran out of gas deep on the bonneville salt flats in august with no water and no sense of how to get back to the road other than my tire tracks. if i had died in the desert, u can be assured i wouldn't be joking about it now.
i highly recommend everyone pick up an emergency battery jump pack you just leave in your car, it's fantastic and totally works and you can give people a jump without having to pull up next to them, you can also use it like a large battery back and charge your phone, you're good as long as you charge it once a year, you can buy one for ~$60 and i was skeptical at first but i've used it a few times and it's been great

Bhodi fucked around with this message at Sep 16, 2018 around 23:55

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

prior use is no big deal. one of the requirements of having a security clearance is not smoking pot while you have the clearance. executives of companies like spacex are required to have security clearances to do business with the government

the problem from the DOD's point of view is that musk probably has no idea what having a clearance means so they'll revoke it which means spacex loses its launch contracts unless musk resigns
it doesn't matter, no one cares, and there's no air force investigation. as i said in this very thread, the little blurb that said there was was one was fake

all those rules only matter when you aren't a C-level

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Amazon treats its workers worse than poo poo because usually poo poo gets buried.

Do you think Amazon would even notice a worker dropping dead in one of their oven warehouses?
as i recall, they notice and keep their own ambulances on contract because if they use public / outside ones they have to report those figures

e: just looked, they kept them on site to treat people with dehydration and heat stroke so they could be treated and sent back to work rather than to a hospital

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

I know a guy who works at a geo info startup and their largest success is forecasting earnings calls by taking pictures of parking lots the day of but ahead of the call itself

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

Roosevelt posted:

if you're expecting an eloncar to stop you're going to need to pick one of the other 3 members
this was a great joke that deserved a little recognition

Bhodi fucked around with this message at Sep 25, 2018 around 20:20

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.

Pillbug

mbison-yes-yes.gif

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.