Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

akadajet posted:

starlink sounds like the one good thing musk has been involved with. unless I'm missing something.

It sounds good in theory but in practice the whole thing is just a waste

- Starlink speeds are roughly the same as an LTE connection. It's only viable in areas with no other options.
- It has very high upfront and monthly costs compared to basically all other options, so instead of helping out underserved rural areas it ends up just being luxury internet for vacation cabins and RVs
- As others have mentioned, it clogs the sky with space junk. The good/bad news is all of these satellites will de-orbit themselves in ~5 years. That's good in that if this becomes abandoned boondoggle it won't clutter the sky. The bad is - every rocket launch they send up they can orbit ~50 starlink sats. Their constellation to get worldwide coverage is ~12,000 sats. That all need to be replaced every 5 years. This translates to needing to launch a fossil fuel powered rocket into space once a week indefinitely to replace the falling sats and just keep the service operating. Which means the cost of service will never come down seriously, making it permanently a toy for rich people's vacation homes.

Also like everything Musk he's immediately just using it as another means to get taxpayer funding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Shame Boy posted:

starlink can't even do that, afaik they still haven't gotten the satellite to satellite connections working at all so it's just bouncing poo poo from ground stations off the satellite and back down, which means you need a ground station close enough that both you and the station have line of sight to the satellite at the same time

Apparently they have had some rudimentary tests of in space routing but the majority of the sats they put up don't even have the hardware to do it. Until they replace the entire fleet their service only works if you have line of sight to a sat that has line of site to a ground station near you.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

go play outside Skyler posted:

yeah sorry have to disagree with you on that one. starlink has a crazy competitive advantage what with being in such a lower orbit. if they never get the sat to sat communication working, they'll just keep adding ground stations .

not the ideal solution but they will still blow the competition out the water... if they can figure out how to stop losing money on every dish they sell

Reminder that this requires a $70m (SpaceX numbers on how cheap their reusable rocket launches are) launch every single week just to maintain the satellite constellation that makes this service work. Plus all the other costs of running an ISP including tens of thousands of ground stations.

Their enticement pricing for early adopters is $1000 up front and $100+ a month.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

and it's probably a lot cheaper to just lay a huge fiber optic cable in the middle of the desert to get a ground station in even the most remote areas, rather than spending the r&d to maybe get sat-to-sat working

Especially when you consider each individual satellite has a very limited total throughput when considering their coverage area is Rhode Island sized

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

telcos have already most of europe covered and that was done with ground towers with a much smaller radius than starlink satellites

it feels to me like they will probably brute-force their way into making something that works well enough for a few very specific use-cases

but maybe not so profitable, but they wouldn't be the first company to have an unprofitable business model for years

Hence them trying to get the govt to foot the bill for their service that only makes sense for luxury customers. At some point when the service needs to pay its own bills it will collapse

Or Musk will grift the us government into keeping this poo poo afloat and dumping fossil fuel emissions into our upper atmosphere indefinitely because he's saving the world

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

sure, theoretically a well-run terrestrial ISP should be able to do better, i agree. but who says the local competition is necessarily going to be well-run? we have another location where they lost internet connectivity for days because their point-to-point microwave provider hosed around, and has had multiple shorter outages over the past several months. we're trying to get alternatives but both these locations are out in rural areas (like a lot of truss manufacturing plants) where there aren't a lot of options that don't involve writing a five-figure check.

I used to have microwave circuits at a few of my buildings where we lacked options, and it fuckin suuuuucked. Fine when it worked but the reliability was terrible. Had chronic issues for months at a couple of sites before we fired the company entirely.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

I treat Grimes with the same contempt I treat literally anyone else who isn't immediately repulsed by Elon Musk

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Not a Children posted:

lmao about to find out the hard way the sheer gulf of interest between free and not free

he really thinks everyone is as addicted as him

Tbh considering how many posters are like "my feed is 100% Nazis and it errors out every third tweet" for the last 6 months who haven't left he's probably right

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Roosevelt posted:

change your av

Some rear end in a top hat gave me this av I figure they should get their money's worth

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

how did he think he was going to pay those loans with the "pay $8/mo for social media" subset of a group that can't even win the popular vote

450 million active users * $8 = $3.6B/mo

It's so simple plus it fixes all the bots because no bot would ever pay $8 so only good posts remain

Clearly you don't have First Principles Brain like our business genius Musk

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/doja-cat-lost-twitter-verification-1234712755/

quote:

Doja Cat Lost Her Twitter Verification and Does Not Care
"Having a blue tick now means there's a higher chance that you're a complete loser and that you're desperate for validation from famous people."

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

DELETE CASCADE posted:

"if you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor" bitch i get whatever doctor is assigned to me and if i change jobs i'm probably also changing doctors or even entire health systems

And even if you keep them they have 73918639103 patients and only remember you from your chart

The whole thing is appealing to some fantasy from a movie where Doctor So and So from your small town has been your doctor since your were born

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

mediaphage posted:

i want an electric pickup and i love ugly cars (hell yea pontiac aztek) but i just don't get the cybertruck i swear to god, it's bad in all ways

Yeah! Isn't that COOL AS gently caress? My vehicle is dumb and ugly and something nobody but a moron would own. Triggered, lib?

That's the buyer

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

You can also deal with this by taking the L, selling your dogshit smartphone gimmick meme car to any number of willing suckers, and purchasing a vehicle that was actually designed by engineers and tested by people that care if random people die or not if they gently caress up.

there is no sugar coating i will do here. Don't sunk-cost this one. get rid of that dumpster fire asap. I'm not saying you're a bad person or dumb or whatever for buying one, but i am saying that you should bail out of it as soon as possible and buy a real car, if you really need one.

Yeah once the warranty is gone I would treat that thing like it's radioactive

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

i forget who mentioned it (i think it was jonny) but yeah it seems like chick-fil-a intentionally manages the lines to be long. i don't think i've ever ate there but the food can't be that good, and i assume that's exactly what i'm supposed to think about it

I'm in CA

Chik Fil A always has a big line and people at my work always want to order it for lunch because they like it and don't pay attention to the political poo poo

It's a Fine chicken sandwich

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Zamujasa posted:

henderson/vegas got a chik-fil-a a few years back and it was bad enough that they had to have the cops out there directing traffic. people talk about how there are people who treat in-n-out like the best thing ever but it's nothing compared to the insanity that CFA brings, all for mediocre fast food

In n Out, Chik fil a and Raising Cane's all get massive lines here. At some point a place reaches a point of Having A Line and then all the dumbs assume it must be something magical because why not a line and then if it isn't garbage they gaslight themselves into thinking it's the best thing ever worth waiting 45 minutes for.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

they do this every loving time and the suckers fall for it every time. the 3 was supposed to be $35k

Funny enough, Teslas being super uncompetitive in the market made this come true by accident. My coworker got a 3 for $38k last month

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean he also got fined by the SEC literally because of his tweets

That $20M fine in 2018 has not seemed to deter him from openly taunting them while committing the same crimes over and over again

Perhaps the fact that $20M to a guy who can waste $44B to get more views on his bad posts is literally pocket change

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

maybe put something people like there, like Pokemon or something that makes people want to Go to a place.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

it's a meme stock

there's a critical mass of idiots to keep it high indefinitely. like gamestop and AMC. It has nothing to do with their actual performance or viability

Tesla sells as many cars as Mazda every year. Mazda's market cap is $6Bn and Tesla's is $755B

MunchE fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 26, 2023

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

how does that square with them having so much inventory they have to mark them down? are they just manufacturing too many?

They've had surplus demand for years. That ran out so now they're slashing prices. You can get a new Model 3 under $40k before rebates now.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Nitrousoxide posted:

It doesn't seem like it would do anything to defederate them. It's not like the Activity Pub is a secure pipeline. Meta can just create an apparently "self-hosted" instance that doesn't have any users and ingest all the data from the fediverse. The only reason to defederate them is if you're afraid of lovely moderation (which I admit is a possibility)

or they can just exist and be the default most popular instance where people are and the cranky nerds who are not allowing them out of spite will come along when they realize they've shut off the rest of the internet, or continue to be shut in nerds

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Cantorsdust posted:

i mean at the end of the day the joke is on the lawyers because it’s looking increasingly like twitter is just entirely out of money short a cash injection from musk

i would not be surprised at all to hear it go bankrupt this year, and would in fact be surprised if it doesn’t go bankrupt next year without additional financing

The one question I really am curious to see the answer to is if Elon is going to start shoveling his own money into the dumpster fire he created. His ego is big enough and he wants to appear to be Mr Successful Business Genius so maybe he keeps propping it up, but on the other hand why face personal consequences when the business can just fail and you can walk away with your money

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Beeftweeter posted:

yeah, very true. it's disappointing how many people genuinely don't care about it

I think the same thing about "explicitly pro Nazi site owner"

Data collection sucks but it's ubiquitous. Your grocery loyalty card is data collection. License plate readers on private businesses track your car. Every electronic device you own is likely collecting data on you. Outside of sweeping regulations your data is harvested to poo poo and deleting a single social media app won't change that

However deleting the pro Nazi social media site owner by the world's stupidest man at least hurts his ability to monetize the Nazi site he bought and every user gone is another small step towards it's death

But lots of people on this forum have 80 justifications for just having to stay on the Nazi site

Also lmao if you don't think Elon will sell all your data to the shadiest sources possible in desperation to pay the bills.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

mystes posted:

Doesn't it just mean that they can view the number of dislikes similarly to how everyone used to be able to?

I occasionally dislike videos on the hope that youtube will be less likely to recommend them but I have no idea if it even works like that

it does, Not Interested works even better

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Kenny Logins posted:

it's an accomplishment because mr beast etc doesn't stay in his loving lane thanks to algo and advertising etc. the only reason i haven't seen him is i literally haven't watched youtube (except for specific music videos from time to time) since like 2015. and yet i still have to hear about this rear end in a top hat!

I mainly hear about him on here from old dudes bragging about how much they hate him

I watch YouTube all the time and just click not interested when clickbaity poo poo happens in every so often

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

you see this is the making fun of Elon Musk thread, and that is a funny image making fun of Elon Musk hth

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

infernal machines posted:

not to in any way defend meta, but the article says the police had a warrant for messages on facebook, how would they avoid giving them up to a lawful demand?

wouldn't the only way it would be possible to avoid complying with the warrant be something like imessage's end-to-end encryption?

also Elon Musk would very likely turn over abortion related DMs if someone like catturd2 asked him to

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Salt Fish posted:

If you're going to movies without ear plugs you're nuts.

holy poo poo this forum is old

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

mystes posted:

I think zelle is more like a protocol than an intermediary, so you can if your bank supports zelle and the other person's bank supports zelle I guess, but since it mainly only works for person-to-person transfers with supported banks I don't know whether anyone actually uses it

I'm wasn't aware of fednow but I'm assuming it's similar and maybe it will eventually actually fix this mess?

Basically every small business I've interacted with for auto repair, painters, handyman etc prefer Zelle for payments. I think the fees are lower than credit and it's faster than checks.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

My therapist has said that she won't use Zelle because the transactions appear in some sort of non-anonymous record. That seems like a pretty major problem

Sounds like she's confusing it with Venmo

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

She said she looked into it and won't use it because "it's like Venmo" in whatever way matters here. Idk

I've used Zelle to pay vendors a bunch

There's no social tab, no way I've been able to see anyone else's transactions and googling it I can't find anyone talking about being able to see other people's poo poo

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

qirex posted:

from the place that bought you "eating tide pods" comes nuanced discussions of the world

Only boomers ever believed anyone actually ate tide pods

It's so weird watching middle aged millenials lose their poo poo over an app that's "share short videos" throwing their hands up about how they don't understand it and all the wacky kids are doing those wacky tiktok challenges. I saw someone who grew up with the internet talking about how the TikTok "Be rude to teachers" challenge was why their kid was acting up. Wild poo poo

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

mrmcd posted:

Google in like, it's 5th year as a company, tried to build a data center out of shipping containers. There was a bunch of fawning press about it from "Wow look at these... young smart innovators!" Meanwhile Google realized after like a year the idea was stupid and wouldn't work and just hired people who know how to build datacenters to build a bunch of actual datacenters.

At least one of the DC containers got saved and cut in half and installed as an entry way to a conference room in the NYC office, as a sort of museum piece. It was kinda creepy though, because it was a room on the interior of the building, with no windows. So you'd open this door and then walk down this dark metal tube with wires hanging out of the walls to get to the actual room with the chairs, table, and video conferencing unit. It had strong "walking into the gas chamber" vibes.

My employer decided that launching our buildings (which takes months) the 1-2 weeks to stand up the server room was the big time sink that needed to be solve and came up with this shipping container concept. It was terrible. Had these racks on rails that you had to move to pull a server out because otherwise there wasn't room for egress behind them. Absolute dogshit I think we did 2 of them and realized it was dumb

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

nudgenudgetilt posted:

methane isn't power dense enough to be worth piping out, and similarly doesn't produce enough power to be worth piping out.

data is way cheaper to move than power

What do I pay a bill to the gas company for then

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lol at the idea of anything involving musk being allowed to get a banking license or go public to establish value given his history of breaking sec rules and calling all the baking regulators idiots

lmao at anyone entertaining the idea that Musk's banking ambitions aren't going to be more crypto bullshit

He's not going to try to follow regulations and start a bank he's going to build in crypto payments and clearly his system will be so superior it will take over the entire world banking industry

lol

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Roosevelt posted:

had to put the "I know some people hate on them" in there to keep it cool and casual

I mean all his CHUD fanboys boycott Starbucks every 3 months over them not hating some minorities enough

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

sending money to a defense contractor is its own reward

also lol that a defense contractor making mail delivery van for some reason

pretty sure the reason is they're supposed to last 30 years, so they're ridiculously overbuilt compared to a consumer vehicle

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

The Management posted:

I just remembered that during the cybertruck intro elon threw a ball at the window to show it was bullet proof. it shattered. so he did it again and shattered another window. then after the show they hastily repaired the windows and released a video of him trying that again but obviously with a softer ball.

also laser windshield wipers, which they promised kind of.

both of those seemed to have disappeared from the production model

lol "production model" still doesn't exist

The (second?) prototype they showed off with no driver's door still hadn't solved the problems of the wipers or anything else to make it a sellable car

LongDarkNight posted:

Love to see how well the laser wipers do against snow. Vehicles designed, built and tested in SoCal.

Musk is in the bay, the only part of his stink that's down here is SpaceX

For a guy who rags on CA all the time he sure does spend all his loving time in San Francisco

Beeftweeter posted:

i think it's because releasing a mass-produced electric car initially seemed ridiculous to the press too

to me that was never even close to being on the same level as saying they will have laser wipers, gas thrusters, boat mode, autonomous robotaxi capability etc though. mass-producing an electric car has been possible like a hundred years, it's just that nobody actually tried to do it. this other poo poo is just stuff he came up with in a k-hole after reading lovely sci-fi

This is the poo poo that the weirdos in /r/Tesla will say but not reality.

EVs had a huge problem for basically the entire existence of automobiles: getting enough batteries in them to get decent range was prohibitively heavy/large, prohibitively expensive, or both. When GM made the EV1 in the late 90s, they were spending $100,000 in materials cost to produce a battery powered car with a range of 74 miles that looked and felt like a shittier Cavalier. They managed to get that up to 150 miles, but again, there was no market for a shittier 2 door Cavalier that cost more than a Corvette and could only go 150 miles.

A decade later, Lithium Ion batteries were cheap enough and energy dense enough that EVs started to become viable for not $100,000 and cars like the Nissan Leaf came out - big manufacturers were trying to make an *affordable* EV, and the form factor ended up being a small cheap commuter at a premium price because battery EVs are expensive .

Tesla had one innovation they stumbled into: Make your EV a luxury priced third car status for rich people rather than a practical commuter. The Leaf was selling for $25k and was a lame ecobox with short range. Tesla shoved $35,000 worth of batteries into a slightly sportier Ford Fusion looking sedan and charged people $70k+ for it. And it worked. It was a nice looking practical car with good power and by targeting people who already had another daily driver the shortcomings of dealing with charging etc. could be easily overcome. The entire market has followed suit which is why almost all EVs now are not priced for the mass market but they're $60,000 Crossovers.

But this idea that nobody believed an electric car could be made is absolute horseshit. The market wasn't shocked that an EV had been produced, they'd been produced in various forms for decades. They were always just too low range for too high a price. Musk bought Tesla right at the time that battery tech was getting to a point to be viable for a proper EV, and Tesla had the insight/luck to go upmarket instead of trying to make their first vehicle affordable by everyone.

But nobody thought "it couldn't be done" if anything manufacturers figured nobody would pay a premium luxury price for an EV because they thought about them as economy focused *only* and didn't realize EVs were a perfect fit for the luxury segment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

ShadowHawk posted:

Is it possible everyone is worried that Ukraine is reliant on Starlink and they're just waiting for the war to end before letting loose all he's got coming to him?

yeah that's why every other rich guy also never faces consequences for the horrible poo poo they do every day

There's no secret plan

there's no grand conspiracy

The world is profoundly unfair, absolute loving morons can become the richest man in the world by being in the right place at the right time and all of our systems are designed to protect them from us and not the other way around

That's the answer for why nothing ever happens