Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
coworker just got his model 3 and seems pretty happy with it, it seems to be working so far. i think he waited 3 years. i haven't seen it yet but i will ask about it tomorrow. it will be interesting for me as i have not seen one in person yet and just seen the internet hate.

fit and finish can't be any worse than my lotus which was assembled by bitter bitter bitter union brits in hethel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

canyoneer posted:

there's a dude on youtube who pulled the seats out of his tesla and clowns on street racers in mustangs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cp3CRmcAJU

street drag races are pretty much the epitome of "how can i design a race to favor an ev as much as possible?"

EVs are fast as hell in the pikes peak hill climb now, which is no small feat.

they are faster than the fastest dinosaur powered car by like 15 seconds (on an ~8 min hill climb)

when you can cool the b8tries they go really fast. teslas just can't cool their batteries like a real race car.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6nYdHwgCIk

listen to that thing, it is pretty rad.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

ol qwerty bastard posted:

we've been promised goofy rear end pod cars by scifi for long enough i fully embrace our goofy rear end pod car future

hnnnng yesssss

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

nah, that's when you're selling 100k+ luxobarges like bentleys or whatever. supercars are the one place where you can get away with making something that costs as much as a house and feels like riding in a coffin made out of a bathtub because you can say it's for performance reasons.

this is apparently the only picture on the internet of someone getting into a countach. i wonder why

yeah getting into exotic cars is supposed to be like lowering yourself into a bathtub with a ceiling 1 foot over the lip of the bathtub. if you don't have a side frame rail there that goes up to the height of a normal car window and doesn't move when the door opens, it's not a real exotic car.

also the seats are hard because that makes the car lighter and go faster. padding is for lexuses and mercedes cars for old people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8aJkf-VXio

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i have gotten 10x more flexible after getting the lotus because i have to put my feet up by my face every time i want to get in or out of it.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
sorry guys that belt buckle fuckin rules

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

hobbesmaster posted:

you don’t get rich spending your own money when the bank’s money will do just fine

yes, time value of money, my friend.

rich people still borrow money because people will lend it to them for free, and they can use the money they don't sink into buying a house outright into something that has better returns.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

i too have been giggling all week over "grahms....ive taken too much ecid...."

i hear it in the voice of sharlto copley as wikus and add a bit about prawns at the end.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

a friend of mine worked at a bitcoin miner asic design house for a while.

she met her future husband there right before everyone got laid off when it collapsed and has since divorced him so you have that to look forward to.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mr. Nice! posted:

yeah most people living in a homeless shelter are just there because they’re afraid of asking their dad for a loan.

just sell some stock!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Xealous posted:

algorithm-based now - the ai poo poo i was working on took into account a lot of factors to determine if you were abusing it before i left. the criteria takes into account the state of many components in the car, your driving patterns and other details. or it did anyway. not even sure that stuff is running still - they rotated projects in and out of existence pretty rapidly.

thats just what i want, the car manufacturer monitoring how i drive the car i own and deciding that features should be turned off after i have purchased it, that's a good feature.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Xealous posted:

you have no idea. any connected car is ripe for data harvesting and you (the consumer) should expect it going forward. on that note, china has a law in place that mandates all electric cars send real time telemetry to their government servers - model s/x/3, NIO cars and any other electric car if they're driving already complies with that law to be road certified. don't be surprised if that becomes a mandate in other countries

thats ok my car is 15 years old and i will never buy a new one and the only thing i connect it to is my own butt

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i will honestly be surprised if tesla doesnt still exist as a company even if they have to go through some restructuring and shed some debt or something, they still have the plant and the intellectual property and the ability to make cars.

might be a brand of another company or something in the worst case, imo

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

infernal machines posted:

that's a stretch

just put them in receivership and have accenture run them for a few years and hire real process engineers who do continuous improvement and stuff.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

President Beep posted:

right, i get that different fields mean different things, but at some point I think it’s common to have a unique unit number. having that be sequential just seems like common sense. otherwise why do agencies look at that data to gauge output numbers?

at samsung we intentionally obscured lot numbers and stuff to make it harder to tel which fabs made stuff

its all big number and letter sequences that mean nothing until you scan it and connect it to a database.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Alamo II: This time Texas militias team up with the grandson of Santa Anna and rampant wildfires to defend The Lone Star State from Jade Helm 19.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

BobHoward posted:

yes but he put the sam vimes boots theory of socioeconomic unfairness into the mouth of his most important cop character, which puts him well ahead of the game imo

also he is solidly on the side that police should not be the same as soldiers

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Hoshi posted:

2018: Teslas drive into firetrucks
2019: Teslas dive onto firetrucks

2020: teslas are self immolating fire trucks

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
im the 1354 minute trip

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Gazpacho posted:

there isnt anything after oil, it's consumerist propaganda that makes you assume there must be

but ehat about clean coal

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

he also could literally be flying the TBM himself, since he has a PPL single/multi and an IFR rating (though his medical is way expired)

what kind of loser billionaire has a pilot's license and doesn't loving fly himself around

one with an ambien habit

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Plank Walker posted:

if you can't stand the heat, get outta the tesla! (you can not get out of the tesla)

sure you just need to keep a metal ball bearing in the glove compartment to throw at the window

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Combat Theory posted:

They also hide all the Nazi gold in their Mountain bank bunkers. But we excuse that for their generous gift to the world that is Käse Fondue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGg2EJkGbe0

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

evil_bunnY posted:

Taycan cells aren't fancy. If they've improved the state of the art it's in the thermal management system as far as i can tell.

read a little of the porsche marketing material and they seem to be claiming that the permanent magnet ac motor they’re using is easier to cool than the tesla motor.

that would make sense as the power lost due to resistance through motor windings would vary dramatically with motor temp.

so it is probably some combination of battery cooling and motor cooling that porsche actually did design work for and tesla didn’t.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

PokeJoe posted:

my favorite part of that article is the little jab at them where it says they got a copy of Huck Finn but neither of them read it

well it says they hadn’t read it yet when they got it as a gift, or thats how i read it, which is still shameful but not *as* shameful

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

infernal machines posted:

per the grey thread

...so texas. but like one road in texas

SH - 130. its a toll road between austin and san antonio that is intended to get traffic off the interstate that connects them (I-35).

since its a longer route and costs money you need to offer the high speed limit or it wouldnt be worth it

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah T*xas loves to sell off infrastructure to private interests.

i mostly don’t use the toll roads, the people who live out where you need them are insane imo.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

hobbesmaster posted:

I’ve seen some roads marked 80 in Texas that were definitely not safe at that speed. well, in the dark at least

sh-130 is known for cars plowing through groups of feral hogs at 95mph at night.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i just got back from a weekend in carmel, where there are no street lights, and no addresses! the houses have names like "sea breeze" and then sometimes there is a placard like "4th sw of ocean" describing where it is relative to a cross street. if you're wondering how the usps delivers to these non-addresses, the answer is they don't. residents have to go to the post office to pick up their mail

cute town though, and the prices almost look reasonable coming from the sf bay

carmel by the sea is handmade turquoise jewelry artist grandma paradise.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sagebrush posted:

oh well now it all makes sense

ah yes, the famed sr-17 blackbirb, designed by the possumworks at lakemead

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
factories in T*xas are also not allowed to be open right now (at least until the 18th).

by the time they’re allowed to open up the effects of opening restaurants and hair salons in the first week of May might be evident. that probably won’t make the T*xas government make a sane decision, but it might make people who are on a list to actually move here for tesla just quit when they see the infection rates compared to California.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

FMguru posted:

its a very common story in silicon valley - company gets tired of california taxes and regulations, the executives get tempted by giant incentive packages from some other states, and announce that theyre moving the company to north carolina or texas or minnesota or wherever

at which point 80% of the people in the company (and 100% of all the really good, smart, in demand ones) begin job hunting and contacting recruiters and interviewing at other companies

most of the time the move never happens

the biggest advantage of living in the bay area for tech workers - the thing that makes it worth the commute and the eyewatering cost of housing - is that this is where all the jobs are, and you always have the power to move laterally if your current situation is not to your liking. if you follow your job to jacksonville or memphis or tucson and things turn sour, you have a lot fewer options

for sure, the bat area has more tech economy critical mass than anywhere else. depends on where you move it tho. i have never known anyone to have trouble finding a tech job in austin if they wanted one, there are quite a few companies that relocate here from the bay area, and most of the major tech companies have offices here, but Middle Of Desert, NV is a very different prospect.

i doubt tesla would move to austin because there aren’t any abandoned car factories here. decommissioned chip fabs and the associated workforce are all over town, but no one has ever made cars here.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
oh great now the news says the next tesla factory will be in austin

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mr. Nice! posted:

it has the 5th largest metro population and the 6th largest population for an individual city in the country.

actually, houston is a large concrete hellacape with no zoning or planning,

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

word is between Hutto and Taylor.

quite the stretch calling that Austin.

well in the 90s we used to call anything north of 183 “south dallas” and look at us now

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

TK-42-1 posted:

to be fair right around 2004 was when tech bros started coming into austin and made it what it is today. i sound like a dipshit but really everything that used to be cool is now “cool” and therefore no longer cool.

it’s sad. and I hate that i feel this way but it’s true

pfffft austin has been actively courting high tech since the 1970s, AMD had multiple fabs here through the 1980s and 1990s, IBM and motorola had thousands of people working in austin back in the 1990s during the powePC and Cell days...

it’s just in the last couple decades that tech in austin has become more software oriented, and on a national level tech has become the only kind of job in america that pays a reasonable wage.

austin has a lot of cool things to do if you go out and look for them instead of mourning austin music hall or whatever garbage venue you saw someone play at in 1997 🤷🏼‍♂️

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
love to have calcium injected right into my bones so my arms dont turn to noodles from HF exposure

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

animist posted:

HF is one of those chemicals where you start asking nature if this is really necessary

like, does it really need to kill me in seventeen different ways at once? you could have stopped at, like, five

you can get an exposure that will completely ruin your day and not even feel it for 12-24 hrs

back in my previous life as a semiconductor fab person we had one CVD tool that would create a plasma of CLF3 (a chemical that oxidizes so well that if you get a CLF3 fire and throw a bucket of sand on it, it will just burn through the sand as fuel, it will oxidize silicon) and then later cleaned the equipment after each batch by running gaseous HF through it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

bonelessdongs posted:

bone hurting smoke oof owch my bones owie

On a semi related note, was the 4-4-4 fire diamond ClF3? Silicon fabs are one of the few applications for it

ClF3 strangely has a zero flammability rating (the red square). i guess that makes sense because it takes the role of oxidizer. it’s

it explodes on contact with water so the white square is W for that, and OX for oxidizer.