Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it’s somewhat true. there are standard car carriers. they can carry x number of cars across. if your car is too fat, you can lose a whole lane of cars in the boat, which has a significant impact on the shipping cost.

realistically cars are limited by width of roads, parking spots, and regulations. if a car is too wide, it requires additional lights and mirrors etc. most cars sold in the US are under 80 inches wide due to this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

i'm sure this is sustainable.

god drat. will tesla owners sue, or will they defend their purchase?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
can’t wait for someone to discover how you can tell whether a car was tent-built or factory built by the serial number, tanking the resale value of tent cars and making new buyers return their cars like a cpu that doesn’t overclock.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
disclaimer: some unused brain cycles may be used to control self driving cars

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Elon’s brain will be linked to neuralink users’ brains you fools. Soon we’ll all be Elon. It will be glorious.

You won’t care.

we are the musk. you will be assimilated

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
some people should buy new cars, and some people should not buy new cars.

but no one should buy a tesla

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

icantfindaname posted:

so wait i’m not a Smart Computer Man so tell me, are self-driving cars that actually work well enough to be used, which i take to mean better/safer than the average human driver, actually anywhere on the horizon in the next like decade or two, or is this vaporware?

let’s talk autonomy. there are things that are easy and things that are hard.

easy:
driving on a highway in traffic. this is just staying in your lane and avoiding other cars and other obstacles. this is roughly doable today.
Teslas still managed to screw this up and decapitate its drivers when a truck crossed their path.

hard:
understanding the unwritten protocol of driving which emerges from how humans interact. you’ve seen what happens when a driver with no confidence is afraid to make a turn through traffic, or how merging in stop and go traffic requires a level of assertion and understanding of the intentions of drivers around you. robot cars can’t do this.

also hard:
understanding the environment. there’s water on the road, do you drive through it? a human can (sometimes) tell the difference between a leaky drain that’s letting out an inconsequential stream and a flooded road that will sweep your car into the river. they can usually figure out what to do when there’s a car broken down in the lane in front of them, even if it means driving on the shoulder. there is understanding the need to take a detour that requires driving on the wrong side of the road because a construction worker is directing traffic. there’s driving in an area where the map data is just wrong and the path you thought existed doesn’t exist. and then there all all the small details of dealing with pedestrians and bicyclists and bad drivers that don’t know what the gently caress they’re doing.

the current state is that self driving cars can do the easy part. there is no indication that they will be able to do the hard part in the foreseeable future.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

MononcQc posted:

I work from home and have a 11 years-old Nissan Versa with below 120,000 km on it, and I drive it little enough that poo poo keeps breaking down and rusting with abrasives used in the winter, and going past the 100k km mark means a bunch of poo poo starts breaking down, and it now costs me close to $1/km to drive it with repairs considering how little I drive around, but never in installments large enough to bust the blue book value.

I feel like I'm going for an absolute sunk cost there and I might save money by just using taxis for small travels and rentals for business-related travel in the long term (public transit isn't a good option here)

lmao at $1/km. you could buy a good $50,000 car and drive it for 100,000 km for half the cost.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Vomik posted:

it's crazy to me that all of these tech companies world renowned for only investing time in meaningful activities have invested time in self driving cars which as far as I can tell the best case benefit is you can get driven somewhere.

The only difference being instead of paying some marginal rate to a person who bears the capital cost, instead you have to purchase the car, and pay the depreciation to MAYBE get to earn a 0.5% annual return on during the times you aren't using it

the point of self driving cars is that you spend more time on your phone instead of wasting it driving.

only Tesla is pushing this idiotic concept of having your car drive around and earn big bucks as a taxi/love hotel.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Vomik posted:

just a quick reminder since we've gotten off topic...

elon musk is a humongous turd and tesla sucks

I think you’ll find that he’s a visionary genius with self driving cars and solar power and space ships and tunnels and a hyperloop and a girlfriend whose name is grimes for some reason.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Vomik posted:

dig deep enough to use underground nuclear missiles to carve out the tunnels and the explosion at the end creates the stations. simple

please do not give nuclear weapons to elon musk. he already has the missiles to deliver them, an army of devoted followers, billions of dollars, underground tunnels under cities, and murderous robot cars. this will cement his role as a Bond villain.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Q4 2018
Deliveries 91,000
Auto Rev $6.323B
Total Rev $7.226B
$139MM GAAP Profit

Q2 2019
Deliveries 95,356
Auto Rev $5.376B
Total Rev $6.350B
($408MM) GAAP Loss

sell more cars, lose money. the model 3 is not carrying them to the finish line.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
we’ve done it, here is your Tesla SUV

*releases a Prius-looking minivan with malfunctioning gull-wing doors and glass roof*

don’t worry, this time we understand what the market is asking for

*releases slightly smaller Prius-looking minivan with normal doors and a glass roof*

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
is this the thread where I post my opinions about peppers?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Software engineers drive Teslas. :negative:

like every other new car at my work’s parking lot is a model 3. It’s getting ridiculous.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you come home and find a tesla nerd stealing your power, what do you do?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
bribery is bad, don’t do bribes

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
get more wheels

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shifty Pony posted:

they deployed their roomba-level smart summon so they could book all of the "Full Self Driving" purchases as revenue this quarter.

this is it. they pushed out incomplete software so they could recognize that revenue. this is a one-time trick.

Alighieri posted:

Also the model 3 is ugly as all hell from any view but the side. Even then that is being generous.

I would say it’s bland as hell. not ugly but certainly not attractive.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

mr Scoop posted:

i'm the headlight bar that doesn't illuminate the road in front of the truck

you don’t need to illuminate anything you can’t see, which is everything because it has the windshield from a Lamborghini.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
this is a joke, right? c’mon, someone tell me this is a joke, don’t leave me hanging like this

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Nomnom Cookie posted:

idk is there anything wrong with monococque pickups in theory? as long as you're not trying to tow 7 tons

yes, it’s not a truck. when you drive it off-road with a bed full of bricks the unibody will bend

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
halo warthog looking good

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
bullet proof glass isn’t unbreakable, it prevents penetration (mlyp). it breaks but deflects the force to the sides.

it seems like someone told muskie that it was bulletproof and he assumed it was unbreakable. I bet he also wanted to shoot a gun at it on stage but someone managed to talk him out of it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

lancemantis posted:

I was just thinking of all the cars that haven’t come out of Tesla yet

After they hosed up hard on the model 3 because they spent too much time on the X, and then screwed up manufacturing it

Definitely want to try to launch even more cars at once

did they gently caress up on the model 3? I live in Silicon Valley and every third car here is a Tesla so it’s hard for me to gauge how well they’re doing.

I’m guessing they’re going to make a submarine and an airplane next.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BobHoward posted:

you don’t want shatter resistant side windows either. you want tempered shatter-prone glass like all normal automakers use, for safety. when any fracture starts in a properly tempered glass panel, within milliseconds it spiderwebs and propagates so the entire thing disintegrates into a million tiny pieces. this is better than stronger glass because after it shatters there is no remaining piece with the size and structural integrity required to give you a deep wound. you can get superficial cuts from the debris, but not deep gashes that’ll bleed you out before an ambulance arrives.

bobhoward posts are always informative, so imagine my dismay at the implication that I would rather have superficial cunts than deep gashes.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

It definitely wasn't filmed later that night with the windows freshly replaced and a towel hung over the spot on the door where they hit it with a hammer. definitely not

I don’t know what you mean, they always keep glass installation suction cups on the cybertruck just hanging around.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

theflyingorc posted:

Btw informed by my friend that the reason i hate Tesla is that "I just don't get it"

Basically the only thing I've trashed to her face is Autopilot

whoa hold up. you found a woman tesla apologist? even the nerdiest women I know are not into teslas, it’s one thousand percent dudes.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I’ve got no problem believing that there are ladies who are into elong, but they’re not usually the ones out there arguing about self driving technologies.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jonny 290 posted:

i wonder how big the tesla regen resistor dumps are

they’re 17 inch metal discs mounted inside the wheels.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
goddamn, how is the board of directors not firing this guy?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
imagine being a tesla employee, just an ordinary engineer, watching your unvested stock drop in value by 10% because Elon is high and tweeting. Monday morning, how excited are you about getting some work done?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Vomik posted:

if you work at tesla you’re an idiot so I try to reserve my sympathy for those who need it

this wasn’t about sympathy, it’s about musk loving the company over by cratering productivity. demoralizing employees has a big cost.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
model XX or XY, depending on what comes out

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
employees that don’t show up to work face the possibility of being fired for not being at work. employees that do face the possibility of catching a deadly virus or being arrested.

what a shitbag move.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
oh hey guess what, elong is a shitbag

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jonny 290 posted:

i actually look at mine all the time lol

(fairing set is 80% painted, swapping the chain and some braided brake lines this month, then decals and graphics go on top)

I’ve seen disabled plates before but never ones that specifically called out Italian Americans.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
elon is spending zero dollars moving the HQ. this is a move on paper, a change of address. he’s doing it because he doesn’t want to pay taxes to California and because California politicians aren’t stroking his ego enough.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
California has become the center of autonomous driving r&d, which brings in a lot of car industry money. nobody wants to ruin that by being mean to elon and his car manufacturing tent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
you may have paid for that radar system but you really don’t want it. a man with one watch knows what time it is. a man with two can never be sure. same is true for self driving sensors.