Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

coffeetable posted:

xealous: as a heads up, someone's stuck all your posts on twitter and they're getting attention. hope you're serious about that NDA expiry.

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1032939617404645376

atomicthumbs: idk why you cropped out the username, this forum is open to the internet and the moment google indexes the last few pages an exact-text-search will get you here. not that it really matters cause there's enough content in the posts to ID xealous to tesla anyway

oh and thanks a ton for digging up my post about my dad from like 6 months ago without even cropping me out to make sure if elon wants to go after him too it's that much easier :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

you think elon can "go after" people lmao

did you miss the part where he's done it in the past, or the part where he's rich and has legions of psychotic cult followers that would take a bullet for him, or what

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

you mean the totally ineffectual and literal slander on twitter?

yes, do you not see how having that kind of attention on you as just some rando dude would be a problem even if you could maybe possibly sue later

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ok fine, anyone who gives a poo poo about that post talk to smoka instead of me, i have told him all my secrets and they're hidden in his favorite animes so you have to watch those to find out more

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i heard he likes showing thai boys his rigid tube

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

i obfuscate the post, people yell at me. i post the post, people yell at me

(deleted it, sorry; i thought he didn't actually work with spacex)

he doesn't work for spacex but he interacts with them (as part of a larger team) sometimes as part of his job. i don't think anything in that post was super identifiable or controvertial or a big secret or w/e so it's probably fine, but yeah it was a bit jarring when suddenly one of my friends links me that tweet and was like "lol aren't you the weird pony avatar dude"

e: to be clear to any twitter fanboys who might be watching and to elon since he's definitely gonna hate-read this thread sooner or later: the systems and procedures at spacex are (in my completely non-expert opinion) weird but work fine and pass third-party inspections and stuff so hey whatever.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Aug 25, 2018

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

karms posted:

i also post things online for everyone to see but pretending only a handful can

i mean there's a bit of a difference between everyone being able to see something and everyone actually looking

oh well, :rip: the only not-garbage funy computer forum on the entire internet i guess

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bulgakov posted:

change ur twitter name to 'an atomic thumb of the SEC up the butt of elon musk' or something something whatever cause this is your time to shine outside the horizon of the pos etc

or go fully private and annoy all articles that linked to your things to annoy dumb articles that relied on inlining them

fart

if you change your name to anything that includes "elon musk" twitter auto-bans you now

though that's not really a bad thing so lol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

CommunistPancake posted:

i mean this thread was also posted online where potentially anyone can see it

pretty sure that's the point, yes

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Dietrich posted:

Some one buy this guy an AV or this is going to turn into a conspiracy theory real quick

done
https://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20544

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mine sucks because i got it in a "free namechange" thread where you get a random name

the one i had before this sucked because i came up with it by thinking really hard "what would the ideal meaningless forums name be"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

qirex posted:

I love that in 2018 the ostensible ceo of an auto manufacturer literally doesn't know that welds need to cool

maybe he assumed the added airflow of his high speed assembly line would take care of it

just have the robots dump water on it, i mean what does it matter if the metal cools really fast or slow right, it's just metal!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fooma posted:

if Bruce Wayne is a billionaire playboy making poor decisions as a figurehead for his company as a cover for his secret identity as Batman, what do you think Elon’s secret identity is?

someone who cosplays as iron man except the suit is made out of cardboard and is all warped because he saturated it in too much paint trying to make it look right and now it's just sad

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i gotta admit Ron Jeremy makes an excellent live-action mario.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lonoxmont posted:

Which is fine for systems where you can ensure you will never have more than one train in the same block at the same time, or two trains approaching each other without a passing track/siding. At least in the (small) metro system in my town, they just have one track on each side of the platforms, one for one direction and one for the opposite. Turnaround loop at each end of the line. Kind of wish they would let people ride during the turnaround, but they make everyone get off of the trains. I guess it has to do with a noise thing? It is pretty noisy from what echoes out of the tunnel.

just have the trains go up on two wheels to go around each other like in cartoons, problem solved

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

im sure computer vision and AI and big gyroscopes could do that just fine, it's a solved problem

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

the thing that got me about those people who tracked the tail number on his jet is that he went to ireland to the game of thrones set. like, is that something billionaires do? "oh hey producer man my kid wants to see the naked actresses will you give us a tour if we show up next week sometime?" do they just slide the dude some cash like a bouncer? it's ridiculous.

also atomicthumbs is cool attribution is dead hail satan

i'm sure you can probably do a tour or something if they're not like, filming. on my way to atlanta a few years back my mom (who was riding with us to go see relatives) had us stop in the little town the walking dead was being filmed in at the time so we could look around, and it was all open :shrug:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lonoxmont posted:

Unfortunately, you would have to make the tunnels larger to allow clearance for that, assuming you could also solve for keeping the trains from derailing in the process. Since you just made them larger, you now have room for two tracks and the more complex solution you have provided would no longer be needed.

yeah, it's actually something that was done over a hundred years ago called a gyro monorail that looks absolutely terrifying to ride in

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

the end goal with them was to have them going insanely fast because they can bank very sharp turns automatically without any special equipment, so that's fun

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

I don't get hating Ol Musky - I am extremely entertained by yet another supposed tech genius imploding on himself in a cloud of farts and stupid tho

those farts he's huffing are made of exploited labor and billions of dollars in tax subsidies

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

like compared to most rich people he's not even especially worse, he's just so loving adamant that he's actually a precious star child that's going to be mankind's one great savior who swoops in and saves it from itself while he does it, and so many people eat that poo poo right up, ugh. he needs to be publicly humiliated and his name forever tied to shame and lies so he doesn't leave a dumb rosy legacy like Carnegie

if that star trek scene where they list famous people and his name is one of them comes true i'm gonna fuckin' snap and my dead-rear end ghost will come and haunt the hell out of his descendants, is what i'm saying

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lol if you're not already leftist and haven't veered into tankie style bougie killing rhetoric

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLQgkF_FsO4

ok but by the time we have warp drive i'll be a ghost so p much my only option is haunting

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lonoxmont posted:

Well yeah, but at least he is trying to put the idea out there that maybe staying on just one planet might not be the best idea.

why not? what possible event could selectively wipe out all traces of life on earth but not mars? because for at least the next ~200 years even doing stuff like "building a giant undersea dome city" or "excavating a bunch of vault-tec vaults all over the world" will be cheaper and way more practical than "self-sustaining large mars colony."

i don't think people really appreciate how valuable stuff like "has had a biosphere for billions of years" or "has a magnetic field" or "has atmospheric pressure we can survive at" is tbh, and even a giant asteroid won't get rid of either of those to the point where the planet becomes mars-like. the only thing that might sterilize the earth would be a nearby supernova, but that'd cook mars even worse due to its lack of a magnetic field

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

could be like 10x higher before it beats my monthly personal aws bill

the most shameful humblebrag

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats a hundred dollars per month, it's not real peeps money

that's why it's most shameful

i misread 100 / year as 100 / month and thought you were spending kilodollars monthly on aws bullshit :v:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

https://twitter.com/RMac18/status/1034837790473637893

think i can get funding for my new startup? its twitter for corncobs

HAVE YOU DONE ANY RESEARCH?! if so can you please tell me if this man is in fact a diver or a pedo or is currently suing me ty

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i think a lot of the internet had a die antwoord obsession back then tbh

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i agree with most of this but:

"Appropriation of Japanese characters on DJ Hi - Tek’s shirt in the “Fok Julle Naiiers” video"

those poor kanji, why won't anyone think of their rich culture before just using them as some kind of symbol

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

prisoner of waffles posted:

if you've got a ton of lovely weeds and none of them have woody stems thicker than a moderately beefy finger it lets you completely annihilate them with just enough exercise and bashing about of the already cut parts to be deeply satisfying. Probably overkill for a yard unless you let it get pretty tall or you really want the workout, lol

e: disclaimer, I've never used the ones with blades fixed on only one side

ee: if you desire the murder of weeds with extremely thick herbaceous stems it is very :gizz:

i gis'd for 'grass whip' and none of those are whips :colbert:

the only picture that came up that actually depicts a whip is this:

bonus weirdness from the site it was on:

quote:

Blonde Girl Dress Nature Whip Summer Hogweed
Our team was selected carefully before publish at here . If it is helpful to you, please share with your friends. In addition, you can also encourage them by inviting our contributors one cup of Coffe (Via Paypal).

License to use Creative Commons Zero - CC0. You are free to use for many purposes without worrying issues licenses because this picture is TRUE FREE. We just want you to back a referral link to Max Pixel (optional).

Our AI system selective and propose some pictures the same category. Hope it will help to you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bulgakov posted:

you're much less dumb than me so you might already know this but potentially check for a master gardener org around your location cause there could be some folks that eagerly volunteer their native plant knowledge

sounds like an entire club made of hank hill clones, and then two or three pot-growing hippie types

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i 100% guarantee you that lonny thinks employee deaths would be acceptable if it meant higher production rate/quality on the line

no the key to business is to make as many decisions as you can as fast as you can!!! i don't care what the decisions are just keep making them!!! blue is a better color than green! i want fish for lunch today! all the lightbulbs in my office should be changed to a slightly warmer color temperature!

President Beep posted:

that one goofball crying outside of an apple store only it's a tesla store at the tampa mall

speaking of, i was at the mall last weekend (it's actually called the ~international plaza~ lol) and the tesla store was absolutely packed with people staring wide-eyed at the model 3 for some drat reason

i didn't go in but just looking from the entrance i could see the panels didn't line up right :mmmhmm:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also brookstone is going out of business apparently so be sure to go get some sweet deals on drones, anime headphones, neck pillows and vibrators marketed as personal massagers

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

President Beep posted:

for a bumpkin like me it is a very fancy mall.

yeah as far as malls go it's pretty alright, two floors and some fairly decent stores mixed in between the ultra-wealthy poo poo, but boy does that mall have a lot of ultra-wealthy poo poo. my friend was with us this time and she'd never been and wanted to wander into this furniture store to look around. we go in and the place is like, entirely genuine Tiffany lamps and Fabergé glass... things... and there were signs everywhere saying DUE TO COPYRIGHT LAW PLEASE DO NOT TAKE ANY PHOTOS OR VIDEOS. the guy working the front gave us the dirtiest look when we walked by too lmao

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

if the problem is people keep walking in the way of the machines, the solution is prevent them from walking in the way of the machines. Part of your process design is controlling human effects. That means both keeping them out of the machinery by limiting their required movement and reducing or eliminating decision making on the part of the human. they go hand in hand too. like that car with the mismatched body panels. the process is probably "go find a panel and install it" and the worker has to walk across the line, find a part (with the option of picking the wrong one), and then walk back and install it. The correct process is "pick up the part from the staging area next to you and install it" where the part has been pre-chosen and delivered to the worker. they don't move from their station which improves both throughput and safety and they don't pick the part themselves which improves throughput and quality.

this is why you hire process engineers

yeah it's almost like the factory was designed by idiots who didn't know what they were doing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

fishmech posted:

nah they're just shutting the regular mall stores but its still going to be online/airport and resort shops/that section in a bigger store thing the sharper image does now/holiday popup stores

someone had hand-scrawled "ALL STORES!" under the "going out of business" sign so I thought that plan maybe changed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

this is really counter-intuitive and i’m v interested in knowing more

you’d think it’d be real easy to get sucked in by something as massive as the sun

if that were true we'd have fallen into the sun billions of years ago. we have enough orbital velocity that not only do we not fall into the sun, but we're millions of miles away from the sun. that's a ton of velocity, and the only way to actually reach the sun would be to cancel out most of it somehow. if you just "fly towards the sun" your orbital velocity will cause you to shoot right past it, since you're constantly moving tangentially to the direction you're trying to go.

the way stuff like the parker solar probe gets close to the sun is by looping around a big planet and using orbital slingshot shenanigans to slow it way the hell down

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

and like, even with that slingshot it's going to have enough velocity due to all the potential energy getting turned into kinetic energy that by the time it reaches the sun it will become the fastest manmade object ever created, by a lot, and then it'll still have enough oomph to travel all the way back out to where the earth is again.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i always love being reminded that the difference between "reached the moon" and "oh gently caress now we're out in a solar orbit" is only like ~90 m/s or 200mph

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Phone posted:

a dude i worked with bought another tesla for his homegrown tesla rental company wearing his own company's t-shirts with "in musk we trust" on it

i hope all the employees are very smelly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mystes posted:

Elon Musk is going to call up Lowtax to demand that he ban all of you.

lowtax whatever you do don't accept a new spine from elon musk, it'll be made of cast aluminum and cause you to involuntarily run full-speed towards the nearest fire truck