Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Waiting for the Tesla board to give him the ultimatum of continuing as CEO or keeping his Twitter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Elon Elon!
Yes OSHA?
Building safely?
Yes OSHA.
Telling Lies?
No OSHA.
Look at this thread.
Ha ha ha.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Bhodi posted:

good point gonna stolen valor the poo poo out of it

By all means spread the joke far and wide, I want it turn up on Elon's radar ASAP.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Sep 3, 2018

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Elon, Elon!
Yes Wall Street!
Meeting targets?
Yes Wall Street!
Telling lies?
No Wall Street!
Look at these VINs.
Ha ha ha!

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
The turbo-enscamulator is great, but the prefamulated Amulite comes off when you use it in the rain, the marzel-vanes don't work in the cold and the fit of the logarithmic casing has massive gaps.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Honestly would go with a kei truck or kei van (or even a ute) if I could get one at a reasonable price. I don't need a big truck, but I do need to haul stuff (gardening supplies, tools, free stuff off Craigslist, recycling) around way more often than I need more than 2 people in the vehicle.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1199644074866888706?s=20

Even Lego is roasting the cybertruck now.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Watch it be like Xai Adash Twelve Musk on the birth certificate since Cali told them no.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
The wild thing is just how antithetical Tesla's poor quality of warranty service is for building a car brand. When many makes entered the US, they usually made a point of very long warranties with plenty of loaners on hand and sometimes even free oil changes under warranty for two major reasons:

1. building brand loyalty.
2. covering for the very problems we see here by making sure maintainance happens.

Obviously, Tesla can't pull the silent recall via routine maintenance trick, but they should absolutely be providing top flight service and loaners ASAP before Twitter becomes the only recourse. They have ignored a playbook every other major car manufacturer that entered the US in the last 40 years either launched with or learned fast to save their brand. However, I guess they're still fooling enough of the people all of the time to let it ride.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Do other automatic breaking systems ever fail like this and we don't get the video, or just Tesla?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

The related videos for that for me show some IRL instances of that truck system kicking in and jeez, Volvo sure got it right where Tesla would've bowled right through a kid or a car.

Edit: so yeah other ones can fail like a Tesla, but not luxury makes and not even all standard makes: https://youtu.be/TJgUiZgX5rE

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Oct 12, 2020

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

infernal machines posted:

to be clearer, waymo told timothy lee at ars they had a fully autonomous passenger service running outside phoenix two or three years ago. they did not. their limited beta had safety drivers, was by approval only, and passengers had to sign an nda to ride it.

a few months ago waymo told timothy lee at ars that they had a fully autonomous passenger service running outside phoenix. maybe they do this time, but beyond that article, i haven't seen or heard anything about it, least of all from anyone who has ridden it.

Even if they do, Waymo cars have a litany of sensors that basically no production vehicles have yet, and a much deeper bench of AI devs than Tesla. Also, making it work in Phoenix is as favorable as it could ever get weather and road condition wise. Let's see them drop those vehicles in a Seattle fall, to say nothing of a Minnesota winter and see how it goes.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Elon Musk was actually killed by that truck, and this world is just the isekai story he was reincarnated in.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Jonny 290 posted:

He almost drove a dirt bike under a dump truck when he was like 11 or something. this is why he won't do bikes lmao. because if he can't ride one properly, obviously they are flawed as a concept

he wasn't "hit by a truck". he's a loving idiot.

Jeez, is there anything he doesn't oversell and exaggerate?

gschmidl posted:

I wish Musk had been reincarnated as a *checks wikipedia* magical onsen instead.

Same.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Odds on all the needed gear being in there, just behind a software lock, such that the scam is you buy the car for the subsidized price, then pay for the unlocks afterwards?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
My guess is that if they have any sense, they are grading the batteries as part of manufacturing, with the lower grade stuff never even making it into a car, which allows them to run the battery manufacturing faster while having a use for any bad batches. Anything not good enough to put in to a car immediately goes into a power wall or one of these grid batteries. Grading cells is certainly a practice that Panasonic, Tesla's battery manufacturing partner is very familiar with, and is something they even did back when it was NiMH and NiCad chemistries.

That said, it doesn't change that managing a lithium ion battery pack is a fussy job compared to many other battery chemistries, and that the only reason to choose it is the energy density, which doesn't matter particularly when it's stationary, so yeah, it's 100% a way to use their waste cells from bad batches, but they're clearly not then doing what it takes to babysit hundreds of thousands individual batteries of various low qualities, nor building into their installations good fire suppression.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Aug 2, 2021

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Between the Rivian, EV Hummer Truck and the F-150 Lightening, basically every market besides Tesla stans has a better truck option than the Cybertruck. Rivian for the outdoorsy types, Hummer for the suburban tank types and the F-150 for people who actually use a truck for work. They might have had some chance if they were first, but they've firmly missed the boat.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

I'm glad to see my lunch break joke has made it to the thread already.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

19 o'clock posted:

“attempted crimes aren’t real crimes!!!” I assure myself as I plow my lovely model 3 into my offspring.

Into borrowed offspring. He has found a mom who is willing to endanger their children the behest of an internet stranger.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Cat Face Joe posted:

new gang tag

Shoot, I guess I need to finally get an av so I can also get a tag.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
If it helps adjust & produce an ideal gang tag, the font is https://www.dafont.com/grave-snatchers.font
And the footage is from this compilation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsuYxFBHsiQ

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 13, 2022

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
some attempts:

tag size:

full rez, timg'd:

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
I'll spring for an AV after the results of this test/vehicular manslaughter. Gives everyone more time to pick a favorite version anyway.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

NoneMoreNegative posted:

top one, drop shadows that go up are a particular hate.

Mods pls replace my current tag w/ this one.

Yeah I like the top one TBH, I just wanted to give folks options in case my display and my phone were tricking me.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Roosevelt posted:

get an av nerd

And done. I went with the second one though.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Meanwhile, let's see how it's goin' for Mr. "IRL FSD test":
https://twitter.com/WholeMarsBlog/status/1558306708442648576

Huh, who would've guessed?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Wild EEPROM posted:

tesla fsd recognizes children the same way elon recognizes his

:perfect:

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Coward may have deleted (and his replacement test fails to actually do the same experiment as the tests - put the dummy in the middle of the road.) However, he's already inspiring imitators, some of whom are setting up more advanced rigs:

https://twitter.com/jonbbc/status/1558466250782687233

This is gonna end with them making a full-on, mythbusters-style ballistic gel dummy with a spirit halloween skeleton inside, isn't it?

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 13, 2022

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Roosevelt posted:

it's hilarious that what they're trying to prove is that a tesla will stop for a real child, but will still plow through a child-size object, which is fine

Yeah, I don't want to begin to consider how they think about this working in regards to small deer, large dogs, a bicycle left in the road or anything else in that child-size range of things, living or dead, that would be bad for a car to hit. Well I'm assuming they're thinking about it at all, which is clearly a mistake.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

FilthyImp posted:

That dipshit was suppos d to test it with himself first

He either has really good friends who refuse to be behind the wheel to help with such a negligent, hubristic test, or he has no friends. I leave the answer as an exercise for the reader.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Agile Vector posted:

all of these videos should be terrifying. i've had to dodge shreds of blown semi tire as it was peeling off, which is fully 'not a person' and would not softly fold under a car no matter how fully self the driving is

Oh yeah, I can't envision the current system handling debris of any kind, let alone something that's grey on grey. With earlier versions at least, it wasn't even great with boxes and obvious dead ends, and TBH it might still fail that:

https://youtu.be/hFLopMOIjc8&t=566

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
A thought given that info about the luminance based distance - could it be that the fire trucks and similar vehicles keep getting get clipped because depending on how you're flattening to grayscale, you can end up blending red into other tones that were previously distinct in certain lighting scenarios? For example:

With color:

Desaturated:

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Whole Mars' FSD Test is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu4ZEnIwYZI

So hot off the presses, I haven't even watched it yet.

EDIT: Yeah, he tests it with real kids, at low speeds and from a stopping position, so entirely different than the test he's trying to debunk.

Ultraklystron fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 14, 2022

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Yeah, the biggest caveat is it's not a test at speed. Sure, the test track conditions are kinda stilted in a sense too, but the obvious realistic test, especially in a place like a suburban neighborhood, is that you already put that thing in FSD as you left your garage a mile or so deeper in the subdivision, then the kid runs out to grab a loose ball or was already in the middle of the street playing with other kids and you're already going 25-30mph. That wasn't these tests, and the fact it's edited down to just 10 minutes, only 5 or so of which are testing (and the rest of it ranting about how unfair the other tests are) suggests even this "favorable" footage, which still shows a litany of detection issues, just no accident, is tremendously cherry picked.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
It looks extra bad compared to the hyundai grandeur concep interior imho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=io_cqBj6pRE

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Tesla stans are gonna train the ML to get good at identifying children adults pretending to be kids & Cotton Hill.

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed

Nitr0 posted:

When they have a gang tag.

Am I a cult founder?

Ultraklystron
May 19, 2010

Unsafe At Every Speed
Love the carrrrrrr...

https://twitter.com/BS__Exposed/status/1559211531157520384

Adbot