Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hobbesmaster posted:

most countries don’t “recognize” dual citizenship so this doesn’t come up

what about a stateless person though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lonoxmont posted:

Is this any better? Also, at least Tesla can never be accused of making the same slow rolling coffins as their competition. You can get a speeding ticket on the way to the grave!

that's better, thank you. :)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

that's probably this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvim4rsNHkQ

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

maybe humans should be on zero planets

hell yeah who wants to be stuck at the bottom of a ~gravity well~? space habitats wooo!! :yayclod:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rapeface posted:

i've said this for so long.

here's a useless part of my house that takes a tonne of maintenance and water

lol if you water your lawn

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i 100% guarantee you that lonny thinks employee deaths would be acceptable if it meant higher production rate/quality on the line

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jabor posted:

if musk stebe'd himself and died of cancer tomorrow, absolutely nobody would miss him

makes you think

nah, that's not true - there's a shitload of shitnerds out there who would be wailing and gnashing their teeth

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

fermun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR4CFiuR3tQ
no one in this video really seems to mention that this is a 5 year old car that was purchased for something like $100,000 so it probably shouldn't be having constant minor equipment failures.

lol goddamn. my twenty year old Buick is more reliable than this piece of poo poo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

fuckin' lmbo

...although, while ricky was dumb, he had genuine talents at certain things, like growin' dope. what the hell can elon actually do better than others?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
he can't run a business. he's not a fuckin' engineer. his web code skills are, what, twenty years out of date now?

the gently caress can lonny actually do?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bhodi posted:

the SSME refirb cost was essentially the same as building a new engine from scratch. It was the most finally tuned piece of equipment humanity has ever created and is likely the most efficient rocket motor that will ever exist, but reusable it was not

towards the end of the program they were finally getting to the point where they could probably have started running the engines a few launches in a row before having to do a teardown and rebuild.

that said even if they built a perfectly reusable SSME, the manpower costs of tile inspection and refurbing the hydrazine thrusters and rebuilding every other must-work component would still be eating them alive. the payroll alone for orbiter inspection and maintenance was over a billion dollars a year.

although even then the unit cost* of a space shuttle mission wasn't really significantly bigger than Titan IV or Delta IV Heavy, and the payload capacity was roughly equivalent, except with Shuttle you also got a crew of astronauts and a canadarm up at the same time.

*as compared to total program cost, which includes initial development, as well as the stand-down periods after Challenger and Columbia were lost

Bhodi posted:

ULA is turbo hosed and is the poster child for government contractor excess as well as a company dinosaur unable to change when the world shifts underneath them, all they can do is hold tighter to what they still have and try to sabotage what they don't because their executives have lived their entire lives in a no-bid bubble that started in the 60's, they literally do not know how to innovate or compete, they only started designing a reusable rocket in response to spacex and... let's just say it's not going well

they're the rim of rocketry

at least ULA has a great track record on successfully getting satellites into orbit. the russian program is a shambles; they loving nose-dived a Proton into the ground a few years ago (great way to blast a shitload of hydrazine and nitrogen tetroxide all over the place!) and their upper stages keep loving up.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lol get hosed lonny

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
NASA is constrained by the fact that they have to do what Congress tells them to do, including kludging together a big rocket out of as many old Shuttle contractors as possible

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

lmao @ the idea that reusing the SSME was due to anything other than grift. its a nobid contract to "save are jerbs" at poorly run contractor outfits.

so, the entire american aerospace industry, then? :v:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

how come you kids are so GOD DAMNED stupid and just do the stupidest thing possible every SINGLE SECOND OF THE GOD DAMNED DAY?

in his diary, infernal machines posted:

today i yelled at some forums kids again. i guess i really lost my cool this time, 'cause a little while later this moderator showed up to question me. i could see her thong underwear above her low-rise jeans, and pretty soon we were gettin' mad-rutty.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

i was driving my saturn down the highway at 75mph when the keys fell out and my steering wheel locked and there was a turn coming up

needless to say my seat was no longer blue

one time when i was a teenager i pulled a bit on the steering wheel on my old 80s chevy cavalier and it came out a bit. i pushed it back in before it came out all the way lol and just kept goin'

few months later when we had to get it up on the trailer to tow it, mom reached up and pulled on the steering wheel and *pop* out it came and she was instantly "nope you are not driving that car ever again"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i like the keyboard on my nexus 5x way better than the one on my work iphone se

kinda grumpy about phones though because i know if/when this one fails I'm not going to be able to get one i like as much for only $200 like i did this one

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

the battery in my car once died dead-dead because the brake pedal switch stuck and the lights stayed on for like 2 days. no starter click, radio wouldn't even power up, so bc it's fuel injected i couldn't push-start it. no one around to jump start. didn't want to call AAA.

why not, AAA's usually pretty responsive when i've called

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

iospace posted:

Yup. Due to a multitude of factors, the whole "temporarily embarrassed millionaire" mindset is very strong in techlords. Mostly because a lot of the more recent billionaires happened to get to that point by tech, either via the dot-com boom or the computer boom. Now with the gig economy/big data boom, they're all looking to be the next Uber and will gladly hitch their wagon to whatever startup promises to "disrupt everything" and make it big.

this is from pages back but what's extra funny is that a lot of the guys that won big weren't the super-rockstar programmers or engineers, they were the biz guys. bill gates got way more mileage out of being a cutthroat than his ability to write or read code.

buddy got rooked by like the oldest grift on earth. also he knew it happened to other people and just thought that this time it wasn't a scam

https://twitter.com/letsrebel1/status/1043547482125266944

lmao we've reached the craigslist "wire me money and i'll ship you the car" scam level already?! :tesla:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also the gently caress is this:

https://twitter.com/thecrazyjar/status/1043549415330463744

yes "delivery hell" definitely a thing successful car companies have

(alternately: "delivery hell man" could be a dece username)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol I got to the part in the cars book I’m reading where some ex-ford guys end up at Chrysler and discover the absurd amount of money Chrysler had tied up in finished but not sold cars sitting in lots all over the greater Detroit area

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

what book is this

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

pfft those are just jet engines

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_JhruRobRI&t=51s

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you bet they do, tesla filed an 8-k saying the tweets are official statements and encouraged investors to follow them

that's beyond telemarketer stupid

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shifty Pony posted:

yes, he's stacked the board with rear end kissers, investors, his brother, and other friends. nobody has automotive board experience.

lmbo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

I was thinking the same thing

The only types of air vehicles that can work on Mars (less than 1% of Earth atmospheric pressure) are giant delicate sailplanes or vectored rockets. The space shuttle could barely fly on Earth and it had much bigger wings and a hundred times the air

if you're going fast enough then even martian atmosphere exerts some force. i think the fins are mostly just to help keep it stable, not to provide any significant lift.

that said, like all spacex propaganda, i'll believe it when i see it. i'm mildly surprised we even saw falcon heavy. i'm kinda curious if BFR ever takes off but i'm not assuming it's going to happen like so many spacex fans do.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

President Beep posted:

goatse(ervice)

lol you big galoot

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
love to get seerviced

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i still think deloreans are gonna be on the road longer than teslas

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Grace Baiting posted:

*please drink & drive responsibly**

**all crashes are YOUR DUMB LAZY IDIOT FAULT tho, no take backs :pcgaming:

The ANTIDOTE to ROAD RAGE!!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

President Beep posted:

brb, gonna take a potshot at the red baron with my trusty wembley revolver.

take that, boschy!

oh look at mr. big-shot twenty-minuter here!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
yo kgob if nerds were as obnoxious about shilling for audis or porsches or whatever as they are for teslas, we'd probably be happily making GBS threads on them too

also i roll my eyes every time someone assumes every yosposter makes six figures

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

creationist believer posted:

gonna steal this for twitter and get a bunch of hateful poo poo from muskitos

how many of them would even see it as derogatory though?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also gatos i am loving that av of yours

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lol musk isn't even a fuckin' hank scorpio, at least hank knew how to treat his employees

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if the government were serious about safety yeah you'd be required to wear one in the car

also seatbelts would be 5 point restraints

if we're going down this path we might as well skip to the end and say "the government would abolish private automobile ownership altogether"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FMguru posted:

this but all private property

i don't think this is really germane to transportation safety but yeah sure

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
oh wait i'm a huge dumbass. no private property means no tesla cars. entirely germane.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wait so why are the cars on those elevated portions, why wouldn't you just make the whole floor flat at the same level

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
can't wait for the first carbon monoxide deaths in this deathhole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

electric cars only

i mean, you'll still suffocate because there's no ventilation, but not from CO specifically

oh duh :doh: