Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

i think the tunnel becoming a rocket furnace as the fire triggers cascading thermal runaways in every vehicle may be a more pressing concern

feature not a bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
my mom's got an old fridge that's obsolete as gently caress but has something i haven't seen on another fridge - the shelves sit on hinges which let them pivot out, so you can easily get at stuff in the back

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
e: the gently caress is this double-posting bullshit

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Combat Theory posted:

Thanks for that one!

I'll actually go check the spider in mine now that you said that.

I can't imagine the mechanism however under which die cast non alloy aluminium would corrode in a tap water environment since the passive oxide layer should prevent non acidic corrosion... But better to be careful than sorry on that one since the machine is washing when I'm not home.

i don't ever leave the washer or dryer running when i'm not home after a friend once scared me with "well actually washers can catch fire too"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jimmy Carter posted:

better option: be like the Soylent guy and throw your shirt away after you wear it once

why wouldn't you just stop wearing shirts altogether

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

fart simpson posted:

how do you guys know so much about popehat and the “popehat guys”

i occasionally surf over to popehat.com because ken sometimes writes funny stuff about the law

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shame Boy posted:

one of my four-letter domains is even a funny comedy word but i don't want to say it on yospos cuz y'all are gonna hack me i bet :ohdear:

is it fart? it's fart isn't it? or maybe butt

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i met a lady a while back. we became fb friends and she recently posted a thing about how we need to ditch nuclear power in favor of "free energy" and mentioned something about tesla and perpetual motion using magnets

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Schadenboner posted:

But did you get head?

haha classic

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shame Boy posted:

you could just use a coil for that too, just do it next to an AM radio station tower :v:

friend of mine had an office right next to one and figured out that if you unplugged a phone from the wall you could pick up the phone and listen to the broadcast crystal clear. it was some preachy jesus channel too so we had a lot of fun handing people a visibly completely unplugged phone they could pick up and hear bible verses on like a goddamn sign from above :allears:

that's absolutely golden

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shame Boy posted:

really? i always thought it was so the customer thinks "oh man I'm so important my tiddy loving investments are being managed by the vice president of tiddy loving!"

dang i really need to start making some deposits in the tiddy loving account

hobbesmaster posted:

theres a ton of government forms that have something like "must be signed by _______ or higher" rank at a company. blank is usually director or VP

i feel like the only way to effectively short-circuit this would be to change the form to "must be signed by someone making $500K* or more per year (*in inflation-adjusted 2019 dollars)" or something like that

Mr. Nice! posted:

hey now, thaddeus s. venture is actually quite competent, but he's extremely lazy and has next to no ethical concerns with his work. elon musk wishes he was half as good as rusty.

my take is that if congress hadn't banned rusty's cloning tech, he'd have had it made. those clone tanks are legit revolutionary technology.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
my workplace isn't served by mass transit. but it doesn't matter because my job sometimes entails me driving to other locations anyway.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

flakeloaf posted:

expect notch made something worth a billion dollars and elon made something that cost a billion dollars

notch and a team of other people too

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
...wait, they got airbags on motorcycles now??

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

iospace posted:

Then you go "I can launch telescopes!"

lmbo

"hubble was a foolish proposition anyway. the money you wasted on serviceability should have just been put into building more space telescopes"

"of course we can't just build more space telescopes, do you have any idea how expensive that is???"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i work for a company with fewer than 1000 employees and we've got that in our company policy, no reason a huge megacorp like apple can't throw one in there

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i remember back in the late 2000s i was in love with the old Zs for a bit and if i'd had just a couple thousand more in the bank i probably would have made a mistake buying one

then around 2015 i was looking for another car and looked at early 90s 300zx for a bit. it was comfy inside and i dug the look but oh my god they were all totally clapped out. i remember one time getting in and starting the car and half the drat gauges (including the oil pressure gauge lmao) were just totally dead. "oh yeah it's been like that for a while."

so i gave up and decided to go hard in the other direction, "what's the most absolutely grandpa sedan i can get", and wound up going for a 97 buick lesabre that had like 68k miles on the clock and was literally single-owned by an old man who had passed away. it's absolutely great, it's got the interior sensibilities of some 70s sedan, but is way more mechanically robust, and i even get better gas mileage than i did in the old 96 thunderbird.

(...still miss the t-bird occasionally. man, those 90s tbirds are gone, though.)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

speaking of old Zs, saw this at cars and coffee recently

unff

man. that pic almost makes me want to go make a terrible decision

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Antlerhill posted:

please don't gently caress a car

oh no, i wouldn't gently caress the car.

the car would gently caress me, in the wallet, big time

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

goddamnedtwisto posted:

you know i'm fairly sure elon's actually too scared to go into space, you'd have thought he'd have been elbowing people out of the way to go up on one of the crew dragon test flights and it should be a bit of a warning sign to anyone else thinking of going on it

on the other hand, boeing's taking months to figure out how to un-gently caress a valve on their orbital crew vehicle Starliner

russia's latest addition to the ISS has sent the station spinning because a thruster decided to start firing for no reason. they also had a soyuz crew get put through the abort wringer when a soyuz rocket catastrophically failed a couple years ago.

at this point crew dragon's probably as good a vehicle as can be expected for a new design. it's definitely safer than the goddamn space shuttle ever was lmao

this is not to try and promote spacex. but any spaceflight is pretty dang hazardous

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

I recall a line in Feynman's autobiography where he said that the engineers on the shuttle estimated the whole stack had about a 1 in 100 chance of total vehicle loss, which turned out to be very close -- 150-something launches and two disasters.

The NASA administrators, apparently having a child's understanding of statistics, famously multiplied the odds of each component failing together and came up a system failure rate of like 1 in 10 million.

as flawed as the space shuttle was, it had far too much riding on its shoulders. like, the thought of going from the Apollo hardware all the way to economically-reusable launcher and spacecraft in one jump is astonishing hubris, and the fact that the shuttle worked as well as it did is still an incredible engineering achievement. the program cost was enormous, yes, but the unit cost of a launch in the 90s was about on par with a Titan IV launch; similar payload capacity to low orbit, plus up to seven astronauts and a Canadarm up along with it, and you could bring stuff back down if you really wanted.

it really should have been seen as an interim experimental platform though - figure out what works, what doesn't, and then apply the lessons to a next-generation system that works even better. the problem is that congress and the OMB really, really wanted space shuttle to be the last word in manned spacecraft and to never have to pay for a new system again.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

hobbesmaster posted:

it is unfortunate that the onboard cameras for the space shuttle appear to have been recording to a potato

it could have been even worse. space shuttle Atlantis got clobbered by debris coming off an SRB nose cone. the crew swung the canadarm out to take a look during the mission and poo poo their pants at how bad the tiles had been damaged. they called up mission control for help and mcc said "show us"

here's the problem. sts-27 was a classified DOD mission, so they had to route the video feed through some 80s encryption that totally blew out the image quality. so mission control looks at the feed, doesn't see anything, and says "ahh, it's fine. no problem." the crew doesn't know that houston's looking at the equivalent of a loving ink smear and thinks at least one end of the conversation has gone completely nuts.

when the shuttle comes in for landing NASA takes one look and realizes they almost lost the orbiter

not only did a shitload of tiles get damaged, they actually lost a whole tile, and got supremely lucky because it just happened to be right over an antenna mount with an extra-thick plate of aluminum

the spooky thing is that if it had been fatal, the debris would have gone straight into the pacific and there might not have been anything to retrieve. just "we lost a space shuttle somewhere over the pacific ocean, can't confirm exactly what killed her" (god, imagine the conspiracy theories that would have come out of that)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
next time i'm in LA (so, like, years from now i guess lol) i'd love to go see the Endeavour

that said, a couple of years ago i went to the museum of flight in Seattle, and they have the space shuttle Full Fuselage Trainer, which is what the astronauts used to get familiarized with the physical layout of the shuttle and also practice emergency escapes

you can pay to go inside the cockpit/crew compartment, and while it's not space-flown hardware, it's all accurate and is about as close as you can get to climbing into an actual orbiter vehicle. it's well worth the price of admission IMO

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Bruno_me posted:

oh hey endeavour chat. I went to lax that day and got some cool photos

(standing in the middle of aviation blvd)

god drat those are good fuckin' photos

well done!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TerminalRaptor posted:

The fact the shuttle could piggy-back on a 747 like that is still the coolest thing ever in a "what other cool features and accessories can we slap on this toy?" sort of way.

it's a pretty cool thing about the 747 too

when planning for airlifting a 70-ton spaceplane, the russians designed and constructed a special one-of-a-kind carrier aircraft.

the americans just (extensively modified and) used a couple of second-hand airliners :smug:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lonny belongs in prison

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

it's not so much "falling off gis" as "the artist scrubbed it from his site and anywhere that responds to copyright removal requests"

what the gently caress, mike winters

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TheDarkFlame posted:

If you're a video game developer, getting below a 7 is atrocious and you're definitely going to have trouble pitching another project to your publisher. Tesla are just taking the next step in their ongoing gamification of the automotive industry.

"Why the hell do you have to be so critical?"
"I'm a critic"
"No, your job is to rate movies on a scale from 'good' to 'excellent'."
"What if I don't like them?"
"That's what good's for."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqeFed0RyLo&t=180s

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

remember when he bullied his baby mama into leaking a "hehe yeah azalea, you wouldnt believe it, his dick is huuuuuuge : - ) " fake text

god, that whole saga was absurd. didn't it turn out that he basically asked for a threesome with someone and grimes brought home a different person with a similar name?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Agile Vector posted:

big theranos energy there and like theranos, tesla's valuation relies on the unproven claims of a little prick

lmbo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mystes posted:

He's more like a mascot or one of those dog mayors.

this is a terrible slur against the best mayors in the world

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nfcknblvbl posted:

there's nothing special about the tire sizes but michelin does make their tesla tires with foam inside them to lessen the road noise. i bet fix-a-flat doesn't work too well on those tires

doesn't fix-a-flat gently caress up tires anyway?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

my late grandmother used to have numerous cats living on her property. i remember in the winter time looking out onto the porch and seeing seventeen cats sleeping together in a big pile for warmth

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
imagine smugposting about having to janitor your car's computer. absolutely incredible.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
idk about car theft (although lol we've had a few cases in town of people getting their cars stolen b/c they left it on and unattended to warm up) i just think it's crass to burn a bunch of gasoline so that your car is toasty warm when you hop in

like yeah i drive a gas car myself, i'll use the A/C when it gets hot, i'm no fuckin' saint. it just seems extra to me.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sagebrush posted:

I know what they mean, but honestly it is kind of amusing to me that this speedometer is always the example they give of a critical instrument. It's like the least important instrument on your dashboard.

I would put the oil pressure lamp or gauge, coolant temperature gauge, high beam indicator, turn signal indicator, and tachometer all ahead of a speedometer in importance.

my first car was a mid-80s chevy cavalier. the two and only two gauges on the dash were the speedometer and the fuel gauge. everything else was a warning light

Sagebrush posted:

Apparently that's why cars don't come with ammeters these days, too, even if you have one fancy enough to still have electrical system gauges. Ammeters show the real time state of your electrical system, so they bounce all over the place when the car is starting, wiggle up and down in time with the windshield wipers, and rise and fall with engine speed. This is useful information -- and totally normal -- if you know what it means and are trying to keep an eye on how well your car's electrical system is performing, but apparently seeing the gauge move so much made less knowledgeable people angry because they thought the car was broken.

A voltmeter, in comparison, really only tells you your battery's state of charge, which is not that useful. But in most cases the voltmeter just goes up to 14.8 when you start the car and stays there, and that makes people happy. So now all your fancy sports cars and bro trucks and whatnot have voltmeters, but no ammeters.

yeah i remember my 96 ford tbird had an oil pressure gauge, but it didn't report the actual oil pressure, it was just pegged to middle unless the oil pressure fell below a critical threshold, then would drop to zero and light the oil pressure warning light. my 97 buick lesabre actually shows oil pressure though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
the car was a dumb stunt but i don't think it's really meaningfully different than if they'd launched a big slab of concrete or something as a mass simulator

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
edit: wrong thread, sorry.

gently caress lonny musk

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i use the parking brake every time i park, because i'm parking, and it's the parking brake :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
twitter hellbanned him and just populates his replies with what past sycophants have responded to him with