Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
better censors would do wonders for Tesla’s stock price tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Combat Theory posted:

I'm actually from Germany. The competition between combustion engines and electric drivetrains is market independent. the big KPIs for EVs in the current competition are range and charge rate because they do try to compete with combustion engines no matter the actual daily driving conditions. In a black and white world these are the killers one liners that the EV makers fear "you can only go xxx miles and have to charge for xx hours to fully get up to range again?!"

I’ve driven a first-generation leaf across the uk. you have to stop about every 100 miles and charge for about 30 minutes each stop. you’re comparing that to petrol where you maybe stop for a 30 minute refreshment break every 200 miles. yes, the ev takes longer, but it’s not in a totally different league, and that’s the first generation one with the lovely range.

the problem is people don’t have a clue how often they actually stop or for how long in a petrol car, so they see the required stops in an ev and compare them to nothing, not reality

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

gschmidl posted:

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: attack shorters off the pits of Wall Street. I've watched panel gaps glitter with scratches near the car trunk. All those cars will be lost in transit, like rear bumpers in rain.

how do you take a movie quote, adapt it for a tesla thread, and somehow manage to omit the words “on fire”

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Buy my altcoin Goat Coin. GOAT-C ICO begins Friday, so hurry to goatc.org

that reminds me, what happened to the actual real goatse ico

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I see way more leafs than teslas. the leaf seems to be doing ok as a round-town car whereas nobody wants a Tesla for any purpose. charging stations on our motorways always have like sixteen Tesla chargers that i have literally never seen a single vehicle plugged into, and two non-Tesla quick charge points of which usually one is occupied

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

i own a volt and i'll probably get another when my lease is up. maybe even a bolt but i routinely make a 400km trip and i hate the idea of stopping to charge

it’s really not so bad so long as you’re not genuinely in a hurry. you should be taking breaks anyway when driving long distances. go to the bathroom, get a drink or a snack, stretch your legs, and you’re charged before you know it

obviously don’t try this if you’re an organ courier or w/e but most people could stand to slow down and take life a bit easier

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Plank Walker posted:

what is shaggar's position on EVs? i would imagine pro, since the silent operation + heavy battery weight make them ideal for stalking and taking out prey

teslas run ubuntu, what do you think

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

strange times we're living in where a billionaire is idolized/rabidly defended instead of being frog marched to the guillotine line

all I want in life is for elon-sempai to notice me

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Ocrassus posted:

if you fly for an outfit like southwest, which is generally the precursor in the US until you move onto the big three (United, delta etc) yeah.

the top end of the scale is probably around 150-200k usd in the US. You can go to China and make half a mill tax free as an experienced captain, but you’ll be unemployable forever elsewhere and have to live in China and also your chances of dying suddenly go up.

google says average pay for southwest pilots was over $200k in 2015. has it really fallen by nearly an order of magnitude in 3 years?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no one is going to be happy with a trash interior and a giant touchscreen and range anxiety

all the luxury of a Nissan leaf

nissan leaf has physical controls for everything, its interior is appropriate to its price range and target market, and range anxiety isn’t an issue because it’s a city runaround not a transcontinental road trip platform

I’ve spent a lot of this weekend driving one. it’s a good car

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Combat Theory posted:

:same:

Although if I get something electric it would propably be a Hyundai plug in hybrid. Just for having a proper gasoline engine in the winter.

yeah the leaf works well here because this is knifecrime island and we don’t have hot or cold weather or long distances, just endless rain. probably not a great choice if you live somewhere that gets cold. different strokes for different folks and all that

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
you know you need an image consultant when yospos is mocking you for your body shape and fashion sense

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
now all we need is nbsd to comment on how musk’s choice of footwear is hampering his chances of making it to the top

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

TheCoach posted:

Our city during the 10 years of conservative government managed to get name the pothole city.

it’s weird how conservatives care so little about conserving things :thunk:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

lmao

"you might say it's the crazy dumb fantasy of a manchild, but I for one am glad that someone is working on those instead of solving world hunger or curing deadly diseases"

i mean are you seriously arguing that strapping rich white men to rockets and firing them towards an uninhabitable desert from which they will never be able to return is not going to improve life on earth?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Munkeymon posted:

EVs don't in general from what I can tell

buyers are probably rightfully nervous about maybe having to replace the batteries

evs currently depreciate faster than similar ice vehicles but it’s not entirely clear how much that’s due to battery wear and how much just because the technology is evolving fast enough that nobody wants last years model with significantly shorter range even new

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
poop cistern

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

i see tesla hired the amazon delivery guy who chucked my package onto my neighbors' back porch and called it a day

round here they put packages straight in the dumpster, so I guess tesla still has a lot to learn

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

syscall girl posted:

they're like big ol dumbo ears

:911:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

do people roal coal in germany at all or do the environment stasi immediately emerge out of the shadows and take you away for re-education like fox news says totally happens?

you say it like that would be a bad thing

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

fishmech posted:

sorry you can't read moron

try posting in a language he can read then

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

TerminalRaptor posted:

what should the tesla book be named?

Unsafe At Any Speed 2: Electric Boogaloo?

mars needs memes

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

https://twitter.com/teslamodel3fan/status/1086604586000023553

not a big deal for daily users, really, but road trips are now more expensive and you still can't take weird side trips for the hell of it because you're stuck to the highways where superchargers exist.

the purpose of electric cars is to reduce pollution from city driving. regular charging is expected to be overnight from your domestic power. anyone who buys an electric car expecting it to be cost- or time-effective for long distance journeys is deluded.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you can thank the conductor

if there is one

half the british rail system is constantly on strike over this. turns out private sector rail operators don’t want to pay more staff than they absolutely need to, funny how that works

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Combat Theory posted:

The Risk of a work accident that kills you or leaves you with permanent damages is 0.33 percent.

You are 20 times more likely to die or be permanently damaged by working than by riding a motorcycle.

I’m sure that figure is definitely identical for all kinds of work

definitely going to buy a motorcycle now, may as well live a little before the rsi kills me or I get crushed by a falling monitor or something

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

infernal machines posted:

hmm.. all the worst states are in red.

are we sure it's not vehicular suicide?

florida is yellow on that map though?

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

SIGSEGV posted:

there's a lot of blame to go around for star wars, but at least it isn't the EU

please don’t bring brexit into this

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
thats some military grade posting there

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

eh, gotta remember the 8-10 year lag time on auto stuff. the filename for this pic says it's a 2015 model, so i'm sure the designs were locked down back when every mp3 player and NFL overlay graphic was 100% chromed skeumorphic poo poo

oh good i can't wait for every car dashboard to be a flat featureless expanse of sharp-edged gray rectangles with ultra-low-contrast text

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

President Beep posted:

yeah retirement homes are all over the effing place nowadays.

not just in florida. turns out the people who build new homes want to target them at the only demographic that can still afford new homes, funny how that works

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

President Beep posted:

arquebuses.

arquebii?

arquebodes

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

subarus are the best cars in the winter though and they have a low CG from the boxter engine

the common factor is idiots thinking "i heard this car is good in snow, guess i don't have to bother learning to drive now"

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Lightbulb Out posted:

or that tires are the most important component for traction

what my car does terrible in the snow with lovely all seasons or summer tires? i have 4 wheel drive, its not possible!

what do you mean i have to change my tires? i can still make out the tread pattern in places

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
Elon heard that some cars have “suicide doors” and his immediate thought was “why stop there”

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Is "I'm going to kill myself" posting permissible? I have no clue.

reading kotex posts can have that effect but you’ll be fine buddy. get therapy tho

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

obstipator posted:

no one cares about that twitter convo besides the guy getting all the attention from having elon talk at him

i guess that explains why we're discussing it on these forums

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I’m going to make a startup whose premise is using modern technology to increase the efficiency of the courts

for example, the throughput of the criminal justice system could be boosted considerably by the use of speculative execution

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

everyone complaining about how machine vision doesn’t recognise dark skin tones will realise how lucky they are when it turns out the autonomous murderdrones can only target white people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Lutha Mahtin posted:

idk if this would speed things up much since most death-penalty states already do this

I am unsure whether or not you are aware that was the joke I was trying to make