Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i'm reading a book about bird migration and out of nowhere there was a musk mention: the author was worried that starlink satellites were going to mess up some birds navigation, as some birds use relative rotation of stars to orientate themselves. They are thought to already get confused by artificial lights on the ground, i suppose starlink would extend this to basically everywhere in the world, even far out to sea.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Apr 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Flexible consumer pricing also seems to be enormously unpopular, even in yospos which you'd think would be the target audience. Like carbon taxes it's probably a good policy that just isn't ever going to be significant enough to be effective.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ianmacdo posted:

Someone said it's a giant trunk now. So they can go grocery shopping in the rain now.

It is. There's something pretty funny about having a giant truck for taking the kids to school in but it's only becoming vaguely practical with advanced 2021 tech. Still massive though

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

refleks posted:

i also lol'ed at the entirely predictable outcome of a social-democratic government making a regressive tax system.

its not that hard to create a system that incentivizes low-emission cars and even helps poorer people...

but i guess we gotta have lovely panel-gapped Teslas on every street corner like Norway...

You have to look at the spending side too - social transfers are really high compared to other countries and have a massive effect on poverty reduction.

Rich people tend to emit more carbon, so if you have vaguely flat taxes on carbon emitting activities, even if you spend the money without regard to income, the overall system will tend to be progressive (this is particularly true for cars, where the cheaper options aren't actually worse quality). The taxes described above are still generally much higher on more expensive cars, and social spending is generally progressive, so I think it's a bit short sighted to look at one element of the system in isolation.

Globally the impact of polluting cars and the oil/gas industry falls heavily on the poorest so it might even be justified even if this wasn't the case.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I actually think vehicle registration taxes avoid most of the criticisms of carbon taxes anyway. France has them too, based on fuel efficiency:

A Renault Clio will pay either nothing or a token amount, same for a Scenic. On the other hand fossil fueled powered luxury vehicles can easily incur €10k+ in taxes. It's hard to call this particularly regressive imo.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Yeah that does sound bad, but I think it's just a miscalibration of levels rather than the principle being bad. I like the French ones above because a perfectly good car (in fact a much nicer one, being new, than most people would buy), pays essentially nothing, but it quickly ramps up from there.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ah yes it's definitely the regulators fault they aren't meeting their performance targets.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Eeyo posted:

this was interesting:
it’s just missing a “tesla could not be reached for comment because it dissolved its pr department” to really tie things together. idk if people actually pay attention to ratings, but that sounds kind of bad.

also yeah they just don’t give a poo poo about people with disabilities. but that’s what happens when your project is a muskian fever dream.

I thought the ADA would mean it's a requirement that they can serve people with disabilities, especially since it's a brand new project with state funding

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I worked at a place where managers got a joint pool with their reports, which they were then responsible for dividing up.

Still got 25 days of holiday (plus any sick days required) though lol

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Would honestly never have occurred to me that Elons original tweet didn't mean and additional paid day off, that's properly stingy. I suppose he does have a record of profiting from apartheid related events

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What a wonderful example of a caring workplace, makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside to think of colleagues treating each other like a big family

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Maybe it's just because it's a video but even before it crashes it looks like it's going way to fast for that road.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

You're not safe from overjuiced street cars even in your home

e: this is where it failed to stop:
https://twitter.com/passthebeano/status/1434201440168284163?s=19

Seems unlikely it was on autopilot or anything, still no excuse for having a vehicle that's way more powerful than most people have any use for.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 4, 2021

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

infernal machines posted:

maybe, but corvette has existed for ages

We've made bad decisions in the past too

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Pretty sad that he's not aiming to do better than humans anymore.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

drivers frequently report not seeing cyclists or pedestrians after crashes, perhaps these were simply non-fatal occurrences of the same phenomenon?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

gonna start billin clients for my gym breaks

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

LanceHunter posted:

I think intra-regional rail is a good idea in the US (and already works extremely well in the Acela corridor). But inter-regional rail is much harder. Something like Chicago to New York is not nearly as feasible as you'd think. Europeans don't fully grasp just how much space there is over here. Berlin to Munich is ~365 miles. Chicago to New York is ~790 miles. That's the equivalent of Paris to Madrid. Also, adding in other major cities along the way would involve adding >100 miles to the trip. The only major city that is even close to a direct shot between Chicago and New York is Cleveland. You could possibly add in Pittsburgh (by going ~130 miles out of the way), and if you add Pittsburgh you could then also add Philadelphia (tacking on another ~70 miles of additional distance to the trip). At that point, though, you've got a nearly 1000-mile train trip that only services 5 cities.

I agree that regional HSR makes a lot more sense in the US and should be priority, but even that 1000 mile line might work well - a lot of people live in those intermediate cities, and a lot of different journeys are enabled by a through running line like that. Maybe the NYC to Chicago ticket can't fill trains, but Pittsburgh to NYC would be a similar distance as Bordeaux-Paris, which before the pandemic had an hourly train service which was mostly full.

You could have a branch to Detroit too. Idk, obviously the US currently lacks the technical and project management know-how to actually build any of these at an acceptable cost currently even if there was the political will, but I think that more impressive rail corridors are possible than just the NE one and they can be quite inspiring and support building.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

China is pretty big and somehow not too exceptional for high speed trains to no longer work.

It has 5x the pop density of the USA. But I don't think anyone is proposing HSR to Utah so it's a moot point. The difference is in willingness to learn from abroad and government project management capacity.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

did musk change his profile picture on twitter because of don't look up? It used to be that penis rocket but that also featured in the film

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I don't get how the cybertruc is going to pass any pedestrian or crash safety regulations. where's the crumple zone if it's all stainless steel. doesn't look like you have much of a chance if it hits you at basically any speed

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Nfcknblvbl posted:

aren’t all full sized trucks like this? it’s probably a telling reason why you don’t see f-150s in Europe

You can buy f150s in France but between import costs and taxes you're looking at >$100,000 so you have to be pretty dumb. Presumably the cybertruck wouldn't even be legal

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Additional context on musk trying to fire all the execs for cause
https://twitter.com/GergelyOrosz/status/1586761504497582080?t=IzrRPDEPtGNoslwbBrtaYA&s=19

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Gentle Autist posted:

now that twitter is private, what do their stock grants actually mean? can’t elon just gently caress about and issue 100 billion more shares to himself to make their grants worthless?

there's normally a pretty wide scope for Elon to gently caress them over unless the outgoing execs did something. there are some other shareholders (the saudis lol) so that might also offer a little protection,idk

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

you gotta output a lot of code though so you don't get fired

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Start a project to integrate Tesla's autopilot ai with the twitter homepage algorithm

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Blarghalt posted:

Where the gently caress is Musk during all this? Is he just holed up in the executive office surrounded by bricks of cocaine or what?

I can only assume that he's going to wait until everyone's fired before showing his face. Apparently there has been no direct communication to the company as a whole so far from him.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

wild how many people there are in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

not being a galaxy brain MBA I don't really fully know the whole market cap calculation thing because it's not an area of business stuff I give a poo poo about, but it doesn't seem to me that adding up 10 years of sales and then multiplying it is the way to do it

e: I suppose if you never paid dividends and just sat on the cash pile you'd get a cumulative effect because your shares represent a % of that cash pile

he isn't adding up 10 years - if tesla really did sell 20 million cars a year on a 30% margin it would be very valuable! (it does not make 20 million cars a year at the moment)