Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TSLA is a mess

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Musk eat the eggs

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Imagine four teslas as the edge of a cliff

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Silver Alicorn posted:

I still can't fathom paying luxury car prices for a car with 90s import car fit and finish

The early Model S's you can sort of excuse. You knew you're paying mostly for the drivetrain, effectively a prototype you, a 3rd party consumer, can buy. It's their first car that they built from the ground up as opposed to adapting (the Roadster), so teething issues were expected.

The current models have no excuse.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

a year ago, I would have agreed there was a chance that we're looking at a global auto giant, even if it is a slim one

after musky-boy's recent remarks, and the announcement of an sec investigation, the odds are not looking so good.

in the immediate future, tesla needs new money. this is incontrovertible. sales will not pay for their current burn rate. so they need to either issue new stock, or float a bond

unfortunately for tesla, it's nearly impossible for a company under an sec investigation to do either one. no investor is going to trust any of your representations about your stock or debt after you are accused of fraud.

I think the biggest problem Tesla has was when Musk over-promised on Model 3 production. He set a pretty high benchmark, and I knew as soon as I saw it it would be next to impossible to make, not without serious compromise. The Model S still had a lot of fit and finish issues, and there was no sign that the Model 3 would avoid them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Actually, who over-promises more:

Musk or Roberts?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Poor musky, thought of QC and died

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

so if on the week musky hit 5000 cars made 4300 of them weren't suitable for sale why were they even able to claim the 5000 number? it's not relevant to anything!

Pay no attention to the numbers behind the curtain

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol its because expensive cars are loaded with poorly engineered, frail gadgetry and the rich are already accustomed to them failing constantly and in the most expensive way possible

The exotic car thread in AI is titled, "To own one, you have to afford two."

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Discendo Vox posted:

What portion of the twitter horde are bots?

More broadly, why do people worship Musk, of all people? What's the motivating drive? It's really lost me.

Because he made EV's relevant, and rockets, and some bullshit.

I think it was more apple fanbois who latched on to any one who would pander to them after Jobs kicked the bucket.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The thing about SpaceX is a lot of the heavy lifting, including reusable engines, was done by NASA (and Russia). Orbital mechanics and launch profiles were well established by that point. The only development they really can lay claim to was a usable first stage, but you could argue that the shuttle was mostly reusable except the external tank.

But that also landed a different way and wasn't as cool as landing a rocket on a boat.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bhodi posted:

the SSME refirb cost was essentially the same as building a new engine from scratch. It was the most finally tuned piece of equipment humanity has ever created and is likely the most efficient rocket motor that will ever exist, but reusable it was not

Let me have my narrative :saddowns:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Bhodi posted:

ULA is turbo hosed and is the poster child for government contractor excess as well as a company dinosaur unable to change when the world shifts underneath them, all they can do is hold tighter to what they still have and try to sabotage what they don't because their executives have lived their entire lives in a no-bid bubble that started in the 60's, they literally do not know how to innovate or compete, they only started designing a reusable rocket in response to spacex and... let's just say it's not going well

they're the rim of rocketry

I'd say ULA is not in a good position, but their big thing is their track record in an industry where a great track record is the biggest thing. This isn't the cell phone industry where some Jobs fan off the street doesn't care that his phone doesn't work all the time. They're not turbo hosed yet, but they need to make changes to avoid fall behind too far.

Though the Falcon Heavy effectively getting shelved after one launch helps ULA here.

e: the rocketry industry reminds me of the locomotive industry, in a weird way: customers are going to put a premium on reliability because a failure is worse than a slow train (or smaller load). When EMD released the SD50, it was massively unreliable, which killed the company's reputation as a whole almost instantly, even if it was one generation removed from the SD40-2, one of the best locomotives of all time. ULA is more expensive, but they aren't doing anything bold that could ruin the rockets, for now.

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 5, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

NASA is constrained by the fact that they have to do what Congress tells them to do, including kludging together a big rocket out of as many old Shuttle contractors as possible

I lust for the days where NASA was given a giant blank check.

It gave us the F-1 engine and all that it entailed.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hawaii, because it's closest to the equator.

Oh, right, that doesn't work because logistics would be hot rear end. Why not Florida!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shaggar posted:

now its even more wasteful than ever since theres no reason to actually do anything.

:thunk:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

"We're getting all this money, why upgrade the LEP to the LHC?" -CERN

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shaggar posted:

a ton of private entities got paid to build the LHC and its components

You mean like how NASA spreads out it poo poo in the US too?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shaggar posted:

I only really deal with CMS so maybe my experiences are skewed by how bad they are

Hmmm yes, an agency that has been gutted by decades of GOP wanting to shut it down, so they're starving the beast.

(Assuming you're talking about the Medicare/Medicaid office here)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

creationist believer posted:

i've met government and corporate workers who are working with a subject they are passionate about and would do for free (especially in scientific research fields). also i've met government and corporate workers who don't care about the subject of their job and are just running the clock and trying to do the least necessary to not get fired. maybe its not a government vs industry issue but a result of alienation of labor under a capitalist system?

It's this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Death to capitalism

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also gently caress cars, ride a bike

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wargames posted:

not possible, do not want to ride a bike 1.5+ hours both ways to work in the morning, by 30 minute drive is enough and i do not have to worry about rain and fectal matter in the streets.

Quoting from downtown (as I had my eye appointment then had to ride my bike home), but how far away do you live from your work?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hello, is Tesla dead yet?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Death

To

Capitalism

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ia ia musk k'thagen

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If you see corn, you're in the Midwest

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Shaggar posted:

everything to the west of and north of (and including) Pittsburgh to the California and the Canadian border.

everything below and including pittsburg is the south. everything to the north east of pittsburg is the north east.

:fishmech:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Schadenboner posted:

Legitimately, is there a trains thread here?

Over in AI: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3394711

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

But yeah, of Musk's two big companies right now (ignoring Boring because it's a loving joke), SpaceX has largely been able to minimize his influence. They use him as a money faucet and the face of the company, but apart from that he doesn't really set unreasonable goals, "We'll orbit the moon with a manned mission in 2018" not withstanding (everyone saw that not happening when he announced it, and in a rare display of humility, he accepted it wasn't going to happen).

He's too hands on with Tesla, and that's what's really getting them in trouble. Then again, with SpaceX, they're not reinventing the wheel. The stuff they're doing is evolutionary, not revolutionary, like what Tesla arguably is doing. Most of the heavy lifting has been done for SpaceX, the stuff that unique (landing the first stage, namely) to them has come after the most critical phases for those components have passed in regards to a successful mission. The launch doesn't care if the first stage lands or not, it cares if it gets high enough for the second stage. That part of the mission has been done so many times before SpaceX even existed that it was a non-issue. Tesla is trying to reinvent the wheel and now getting lapped by GM and Nissan with their EV offerings, and it's only a matter of time before other makers start passing them too.

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 6, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The irony is Tesla isn't the first mass-market EV in the US as well. That was a GM product (and a very rare, "We're selling this as a GM as opposed to a <BRAND>" car from GM). They recalled all of them and proceeded to scrap them because ~reasons~ (kickbacks from oil industry, most likely), but EV enthusiasts have long known how good they can be in terms of performance. All Tesla has done was shown that yes, an EV can be a practical car. You can have a lot of space for all your stuff and still get 300 miles out of it, and showing the masses that yes, EVs actually are fast.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

infernal machines posted:

IIRC the ~reasons~ were they sucked and the batteries sucked and they didn't want responsibility for maintaining parts and service for a few lovely cars almost no one used and also they were leased so they could do that

True. So I'll give Tesla this, they showed that they could use a Li-Ion based battery for an EV and make it work.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

infernal machines posted:

yeah, their early advantage was using COTS batteries to make a powertrain that worked pretty well, relatively cheaply.

Yup, and for lack of better words, they were hand-built exotics. The problem is Musk thought that transferred 1-1 to mass production and here we are.

e: another thing about SpaceX, space flight and travel has a lot more regulatory hurdles than cars do, which have been well established for very, very good reasons. Also the failures tend to be much higher profile than a car company's, so I think Musk is going "well, the other makers have these problems, why are we getting all the flack for it!"

They do get flack, you dunce.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cocoa Crispies posted:

do any of them have gas-car-like range?

Bolt is over 200mi (238 per EPA). Someone did take it over 300mi on a single charge once.

The Leaf is now starting to push over 200 as well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

its very popular here in detroit

I've seen a few here in Milwaukee.

Also, re: Senate:

The Senate was designed to allow smaller states to have more power. The House was the opposite, designed to give bigger states more power. The real problem is the House has not expanded in well over a century, so it no longer accurately represents larger states. Though the constitution is bad at this point anyway so gently caress it all.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also

Death to capitalism

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Marijuana posted:

i've heard before that old rationale for not expanding congress is that they've run out of space in the congressional office building

Which is a load of poo poo.

Before it was "There's not enough room in the chambers", which got quickly shotdown by the fact that they can fit both the senate and the house in there at the same time for State of the Union addresses.

The real reason is it would threaten a lot of secure seats.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/ReutersBiz/status/1037747009216757761

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Marijuana posted:

i'll never understand the mindset of a billionaire defender

Because the GOP has convinced wide swathes of the US that they're "temporarily embarrassed millionaires", and that they'll make it big some day, thus taxes on the wealthy are bad. Because money is power, and people want to be powerful, and they look at that person and go "That will be me some day."

Reality is none of those people are going to find that golden ticket, ever.