Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

iospace posted:

So, I found this thread thanks to twitter, and I know this is an older post of yours, but as an EE, this scares the ever living gently caress out of me.

Please tell me they had some sort of protection that kept the superchargers from activating accidentally, like say if some kid touched the prongs.

EE as well here, from my understanding, the chargers have the option of AC and DC output at varying levels adjustable on your model and charging needs. Software interlock apparently controls it, so you're not just gonna have kiddies tapping and zapping (I'd hope)

It's DC voltage so not quite as dangerous but lol @ the raw amount of wear and tear that much energy would put on off-the-shelf Li-ON battery assembly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

movax posted:

the state of EV charging puts VHS vs Betamax vs Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD to shame

Yeah, I'm getting that from a cursory google

I'm gonna dig into it during a lunch break sometime and find out what horrors lurk beneath power system design steered by software engineers

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Well actually, the feature "AutoPilot" is in no way meant to provide self-driving capabilities and ABBAGHGHGHGHEOEVNOERNORVNOANAVUNARUNAERJFVNAAWEVOJSRHVAR

This is the most profoundly enraging thing about the company. People straight up do not believe me when I tell them it's unsafe

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

fishmech posted:

yolandi visser three

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

I work in logistics.

I can’t fathom how one pisses off a class I railway enough that they disassemble your spur and sell the land.

that’s got to be great for the resale value of the factory too

Am I misunderstanding the implications here or is that a total spite move that has no practical utility whatsoever?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Oh my god this isn't fake

Oh my god anyone who buys into this is a goddamn moron

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1040142708453457926

see, he's a wonderful philanthropist that's trying to save the world!!! :downs:

lmao it's even worse than I thought

I was commenting about the garage-to-tunnel design being real, I thought he was still joking about selling the loving bricks in a retail store

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

We'll see how long that lasts since the Air Force is not thrilled about his pot smoking endeavor.

Haha what

That poo poo only matters for enlisted and/or those who are trying to claim worker's comp

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

iospace posted:

Amazon is also the company that treats its workers like utter poo poo, and investors are hoping that it becomes the norm so more money ultimately flows to them. See also: Uber. There's other reasons why stock does well, but that's the main reason that I mentioned.

Also, reminder that investors freaked the gently caress out when Delta decided, mid-contract, to give its pilots and flight attendants raises. One even said "Labor gets paid while the investors get scraps."

which is how it should be, fuckface.

I remember this at least once a week and it makes my blood boil every time

Steel workers about to go on strike, by the way. They're none too pleased that the execs are making millions in bonuses while their pay has only gone up marginally.

Endless Mike posted:

my friend who works in the aws division of amazon swears up and down that the stories about their warehouses are untrue and even if they are, amazon pays above minimum wage so it's okay. it's incredible how much he has drank the kool-aid.

First thing I'd ask him is how much time he's spent in one of their warehouses in the past 6 months

Second is how much Amazon is paying him to swallow their poo poo

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

mewse posted:

the nerdboner is for automated intersections without lights where cars cross-stitch across the intersection

These space tolerances are not even remotely reasonable for what could be considered "safe"

I would only approve that kind of design for cars that don't carry people

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Eeyo posted:

this kind of infrastructure seems fundamentally incapable of handling pedestrians.

My Linux Rig posted:

good luck trying to cross that street holy poo poo

Feature, not a bug

Half the point of these systems are to isolate the haves from the have-nots

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Would being convicted impact Musk's clearance? He can't very well manage a loving space company in this Country without being cleared

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

prisoner of waffles posted:

"loquacious and mendacious" is a pretty good musk descriptor

It's terrifying how much of the economy and indeed "human progress" is measured in terms of investor storytime

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

mr Scoop posted:

they were at one point

Why the gently caress would you do this to yourself

Do these people not care about dating or something

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Got cut off by a douche in a model 3 while he was vaping on my way to work this morning

Hope his bumper falls off

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

flakeloaf posted:

tesla koan: if you're stuck troubleshooting your car on the path, break it

Move fast and break your $50k daily-use appliances

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

infernal machines posted:

l to the m to the a to the o.

that's some quality engineering there lou

Ha haaaaa holy poo poo

It's a car slapped together by undergrads

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Combat Theory posted:

The fix is making the drivers better, not the cars dumber.

The American economy would fall apart in a matter of weeks if this was somehow mandated

Instead, we're cool with 30,000+ deaths a year

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Rex-Goliath posted:

driving to my parents place pittsburgh -> eastern shore md i saw quite a few teslas on the road

nothing really notable besides that thanks for reading my post

Tell Andy Harris to go gently caress himself while you're down there, tia

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe it was a really fuckin' bad idea to build your society around long, convoluted paths that deteriorate when weather changes

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Can't wait to get sideswiped by an empty tesla

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

syscall girl posted:

40,000 men and women every year

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Listen if you don't like how the future savior of mankind runs things, why don't you just build your own factory? How many cars have you made lately? :smuggo:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

infernal machines posted:

it's me, i'm the major metropolitan centre that has space to install vehicle sized elevators several times a block

Anyone with even an iota of urban utility work experience will immediately recognize how insane station development would be, even if the technology was perfect and the tunnel required no aboveground work (impossible). Like, expect weeks of traffic control and road excavation per station, months if it's a major service that needs to be bypassed during construction. It looks like a full cycling of the lift will take at least 30 seconds if we're being extremely generous -- how would you deal with queuing of cars?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

lol I got it, I finally understand

He played Cities Skylines and solved all of his traffic problems by making stacked one-ways in creative mode

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

there has been countless man-years of research in to this kind of thing and the basic conclusion is there is absolutely no way to do this kind of signaling fast enough or reliably enough to ever make something like this and people will die

BUT AI

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

did anyone post this one yet

If this existed (it does and will not), even assuming perfect operation and safety it would instantly be outlawed in every city because it would annihilate roads

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

How so? It supposedly uses cold gas thrusters, which have laughable performance but I don’t think would hurt paved roads.

Now, sandblasting other cars, pedestrians, and roadside property: that could happen.

Concrete might be okay but asphalt is gonna get wrecked, esp on older roads on hot days. Cold blasters still get up to 50 C, and that's the point when cheap asphalt starts to get mucky.

And then, as you say, there's the issue of any loose bits getting blasted into cars, storefronts, and pedestrians

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

its funny, this is basic undergrad physics and he claims to have a bachelor's in the subject

I will never tire of pointing out It took him 8 years to get that degree

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Didn't he also just completely make up getting into Standford for his PhD, or am I mixing him up with another grifter?

Fake edit: Sounds like he's more of an irl Dr. Venture than a Tony Stark

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Trying to work up the courage to knit a hat at my desk

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Hobbies are something you pull out during an interview to build rapport, not a qualification. Even if they're related to whatever you do professionally, you should be naming the relevant skills and not the hobby.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Why I put World of Warcraft on my resume

Symantec's chief operating officer, Stephen Gillett, has an impressive resume that includes executive stints at Starbucks, CNET and Best Buy. He's also a level 70 paladin and priest with a particular focus on healing abilities.

:negative:

I think he's doing the correlation/causation confusion thing

He's worked his way up the grift ladder far enough that he'd have to do something more than "quirky" to lose out on a job interview

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

It's okay. We're told when we're young that honesty is the best policy

It's a dirty, dirty lie meant to allow people to take advantage of you

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I wonder whether having Tesla on your resume will be an insta-hire or a black mark in a few years

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Plank Walker posted:

this, except it will be a pre-mortem physical hell, staffed entirely by wage slaves in a third world country (america in 2022)

like why bother inventing the tech to plug a dead person's brain into a driverless car when you can give an alive person an xbox controller and $5 bucks an hour to do the same thing

Dude we already have uber

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

i don't think you can kick a computer without breaking your foot

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

fart simpson posted:

lol i just looked it up and he got $50 million just from our buyout by sarnsung

Yeah dude he "took a risk" by owning the company, all you did was work there

Doing work is less valuable to society than giving people work to do, for some godforsaken reason

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

What's the viable temp range issue solution like for other brands, such as the ones going hard in Europe and Scandinavia? I know they've got built-in heaters, but doesn't the reduced range still ruin the energy/cost calculus?

Depends on the heater efficiency, but by and large yes.

But then, the point of electric cars was never actually to reduce energy consumption or cost, it's just very neatly obsfucated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

jit bull transpile posted:

u know generating electricity for everyone from a single plant is way less polluty than having a million tiny less efficient plants rolling around making their own power rite

That's a completely different problem. I wasn't talkin' bout pollution, I was talking about cost savings. You really don't have energy cost savings in the long term unless you happen to have access to cheap, reliable electricity and no significant amount gets wasted by the car doing things other than, you know, driving.

Zero emissions cars are a great thing compared to having a million points of pollution, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking our actual total energy consumption is going down significantly by switching from one wasteful form of personal transport to another. Want to really reduce automobile power use? Make the cost of personal vehicle operation match its societal costs through taxing, tolling, etc.