Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Endless Mike posted:

apparently if you drive a tesla, smog dissipates from your immediate vicinity

Well yeah, it gets driven out by smug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

TheCoach posted:

LADA levels of quality right there.

Stop slandering Lada! :colbert:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Shame Boy posted:

the good result is the long process (enforced by regulatory bodies) meant they budgeted tons of time to everything and their customers had to accept it because regulations and so he actually worked 9 to 5 days without having to work weekends so no i still think it's better

I'll take false dichotomy for 1000 Alex.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Because without spending a year up-front on a plan that won't survive the first contact with reality, we just cannot, cannot I tell you, work 9 to 5.

----edit----

A bit less flippantly, have you actually worked in regulation heavy field, like medical devices? I have, and the process you seem to idolize wasn't aimed at better outcomes for patients. It is aimed at covering company's rear end from being sued by performative due diligence. Process improvements (like better testing strategies) that are not useful for rear end-coverage are ignored, even if they would lead to a better and safer end product.

----edit2----

Oh and overtime was totally a thing.

Xarn fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 20, 2018

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
That disclaimer is p. funny

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Not a Children posted:

Anyone in the know would realize all you have to do is brake-check them 2 or 3 times and suddenly their car is gimped due to overheating

Brake checking a cop car sounds like a good way to get rammed and get some extra charges :shrug:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

abigserve posted:

parenting; life is beautiful, fragile, precious. I want to die

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
This is gonna be fiiiiine, right guys?

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/04/elon-musk-says-tesla-is-vastly-ahead-on-self-driving/

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

Don’t make me tap the “Post more doggo pics” sign again.

Guess this is the doggo pics thread now :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Schadenboner posted:

So either the West or the East Germans only had brown German Shepards (Alsatians) and the other one only had grey, but I can’t remember which was which?

No

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Look, the smell of your shoes was really offensive and the dog did you a favour :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

eschaton posted:

sagebrush is faculty and has tenure :colbert:

Even worse

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
On one hand, if you are dumb enough to get a Tesla, you get what is coming to you.

On the other, holy poo poo that is terrifying and I wouldn't wish it on people I actually hate :catstare:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Can y'all stop engaging Stymie? Thanks

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
:shrug: we are pretty good at that. Also if you don't mind slight inefficiencies, it is trivially polynomial.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Nomnom Cookie posted:

aren’t there polynomial time approximate algorithms for np complete that can achieve arbitrarily low error

No because that would literally prove P == NP

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I'll make one more derail post and you can't stop me :v:

Grace Baiting posted:

the polynomial-time approximation algorithms only remain polynomial when the approximation is "relatively" inexact, becoming e.g. exponential as you squeeze the epsilon to zero

approximately

If I remember my algorithm theory classes correctly, then no. If we had any epsilon-approximation (the approximation is at most epsilon times worse than optimal) polynomial algorithm for generic TSP, we would prove P = NP. The epsilon-approximation algorithms for TSP assume that they operate on some subset of TSPs, where the edge costs have some special property, such as being metric (the edge costs satisfy triangle inequality), or even euclidean (edge costs are equal to distance of the points in euclidean space).

-----e------
This is similar to the differences between (3-)CNF-SAT which was the first problem proven NP-Complete, and Horn-SAT, which is a subset of CNF-SAT that we can solve in polynomial (linear in fact) time.

Xarn fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 21, 2019

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

mystes posted:

Ban cats

This, but unironically.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I can't watch his show because I absolutely hate, hate, hate his style.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
On the topic of climate change and individual action, I recently got into a small fight with an acquaintance, because they keep harping about how we need to do everything in our power to save the climate, but 5 minutes later they will tell you how they are flying to 8 different confs on 4 diff continents this year, and they see no problem with this :suicide:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
CombatTheory, as our resident car whisperer, what do you think of the Škodas?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

We still have a bunch of these in the old building of my university. It is fun to ride, especially when you keep getting full cabins in your direction, so you take a cabin in the other direction and ride through :cool:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

evil_bunnY posted:

There's no way to check for that if the UI layer's hosed. It'll keep telling you the button's pressed because it needs to send another event to tell you the contrary. There's reasons you don't use iphones to steer CNC machines.

Our local autonomous X in cars company forces you to trace circle on the display. That seems to workaround this sort of issue :shrug:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
rtLinux is better than plain Linux, but nowhere near e.g. RTEMS if you can afford the dev time.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

31 times a second shouldn't be an issue at all though, rtlinux has issues with microseconds, not milliseconds

that isn't to say it'd be a good idea to muck around with threading and stuff for a relatively simple program like that well suited to a simpler system

oh yeah, definitely

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Once again, this thread shows that American car culture is a cancer and needs to be eradicated. Just install the front plate ya babies.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

jit bull transpile posted:

hi is this the thread for proving I'm cool by being the exact inverse of a tesla Twitter guy with extreme automotive luddism and weird arguments that fixate in technical minutae to Germanly prove that gas cars pollute less than bicycles and electric cars somehow

But do you love the car?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I prefer the implication that you are bad at planning your trip if your car is parked outside at some point.

I don't think we parked our current car indoors at any point. :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I have no idea who that is :shrug:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i prefer to believe that it's a joke

:same:

If Elon was impaled by a Tesla tomorrow I wouldn't give a gently caress, but if this is real, I am deeply sorry for the kid.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I literally can't think of a friend whose name would be California legal. Who needs non-ASCII characters, right? :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Is that real?

That can't be real.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I still have some faith in humanity, sue me :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I didn't know you need to take PTO for holidays in the US :thunk:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
gently caress, seriously? How do y'all put up with that poo poo?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Nfcknblvbl posted:

air condition can be done by phone, wipers still has a manual control through taps on the left stock, and i guess i'll keep gps up on my phone for now. i'll be riding my energica ego day to day.

What sort of brainworms do you have to have to think this is in any way OK?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
lol at the blow-up car

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Are you saying that a competent company is doing things completely differently from Tesla? How surprising :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I can't think of Slavic language that doesn't have gendered surnames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Some kind of "car medkit" thing is mandatory here (EE), and the exact required contents change regularly based on which company gives proper kickbacks to the relevant politicians. :v: