Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Improbable Lobster posted:

did this thread end up on reddit or something

yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nearly everyone who frequents the pos has been loving around in these dead lesbian comedy boards for years, more than a decade, sometimes

we are at the absolute vanguard of cynicism in the world

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

akadajet posted:

:regd2017:

rereg from an account whose username i literally cannot remember

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

akadajet posted:

sounds like something a 2017 would say

i still remember the poo poo lasagna thread, although it would be great if i could forget it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

akadajet posted:

i don't even know what you're talking about, and i don't want to

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1353420

join me in suffering

(i think '11 or so, they figured out it was made up)

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
how does it feel, 3 months into world war 4, nuclear boogaloo?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
a lot of the fucky periods of capitalism and feudalism were in part caused by large classes of ostensibly rich peeps who were super fuckin illiquid because their holdings were in land only and land was super illiquid at the time or the only way they could get a cash flow out of the land was by mortgage or by selling, both of which they wouldn't do

in california, this was one of those times. another time was 1776 and whereabouts. george washington was the richest man in america on paper but really illiquid lots of times

may have nothing to do with your situations but i know lots of olds who are paper millionaires and seriously are thinkin about ridiculous bullshit like reverse mortgages because they are so fuckin illiquid

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
peter turchin has a weirdo but pretty interesting scholarly career out of basically arguing that large fuckwad periods of history (revolutionary period, civil war period, gilded age period, civil rights period, right now) were caused in large part by titanic struggles between peeps trying to be elites in society. large classes of peeps who are paper rich but illiquid is often a symptom, too. (in the 1850s-60's, they were paper rich in slaves! isnt that fun actually it isnt)

not that you're anywhere close to an elite

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

wait.. how many slaves does viral twitter sensation atomicthumbs have?

none
but i could deffo imagine atomicthumbs's dad owning lotsa land and being skint in cash

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SmokaDustbowl posted:

elon musk should have invested in the legal weed poo poo, especially now that every bougie fucker is buying bullshit and treating it like wine and gentrifying it

does it count as being gentrified if the price is going down?

i mean, quality is going up, peeps are being fuckin snobs about it, but price is going down

suspect venn diagram of peeps who abuse xanax for the coolness and weed smokers is circle inside circle

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SmokaDustbowl posted:

nobody younger than like 25 smokes weed anymore

ok, weed vapers

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Pham Nuwen posted:

i found cigarettes pretty easy to quit so i may be a poor sample but i've also tried cigars, cigarillos, and pipes and none of them felt as habitual as cigarettes became for me. maybe because you're not supposed to inhale them. so if you want to gently caress with nicotine maybe try that? an added bonus is that if you try to smoke a pipe you'll presumably have the good sense never to be seen in public smoking it, so that should cut down on your opportunities for addiction somewhat.

but obviously only do this if you're trying to be a drug completionist and it's a choice between like nicotine or chinese research chemicals

nicotine is more dangerous than the research chemicals, unless you get carfentanyl or fentanyl and gently caress up dosing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you mean the chemicals that they're performing research on? yeah we know exactly how dangerous those are

risk of being hosed vs. 100% knowledge that you're hosed

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SmokaDustbowl posted:

nah it just makes your heart a bit fucky lol

how do you think bugspray for bugs works

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
hmm
musko is accusing the brit diver of bein a pedophile again

i think elong is projectin

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

i can't keep people alive in a car i sell, something that thousands of others have managed for over a century. let me tell you about how i'm going to build a tin can to travel hundred of millions of miles to another planet, with no breathable atmosphere or liquid water, and fill it with people

its gwynne shotwell whos gonna actually do it, shes actually really competent. there was an equivalent really competent guy in tesla but he quit

musk scrapes the money together, something he's not that bad at. surprisingly good pr guy for a person who can't speak in public worth poo poo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

I'm starting to really believe the theory he's got late stage syphilis

rich dudes get overtreated as hell
no way he hasn't gotten extensive blood tests for stupid reasons

e: ok, i thought sensual dad kiss was talking about musko

trump i could believe

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PBS posted:

Seems like they store a fair amount of historical data, the column descriptions don't make it seem too storage intensive but it's still at least 13B rows in redshift.

Source: https://www.adsbexchange.com/datafields/ & https://www.adsbexchange.com/redshift/

redshift is priced $3k/tb/year, so that's about usd100/year
small enough for someone to just pick up the tab

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

PBS posted:

You think that's only 34GB? Out of curiosity how did you estimate that?

pullin it out of my rear end

could be like 10x higher before it beats my monthly personal aws bill

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ate all the Oreos posted:

the most shameful humblebrag

thats a hundred dollars per month, it's not real peeps money

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
e: wrong thread

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

ksp was brilliant years ago, wonder what's happened to it

wasnt there a big hullaballoo about the devs who were getting paid literal pennies (10k usd a year or some poo poo) and the management kicked them all out or some poo poo

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Is space-x good? Or is it really lovely, but since they have more budget then NASA and very little oversight, they are just able to do cool stuff?

shotwell and t. mueller successfully got musk to gently caress off and do tesla things so it is good as hell, and was good as hell by fuckin tesla over

spacex has budget of 1 billion/yr about, nasa has 18 billion. but nasa has all sorts of insane congressional meddling like "make stuff in as many states as possible for pork" and "give nontechnical congresspeeps decision making over anything at all"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
good as hell technically i meant

hellhole laborwise

they save about 40% reusing the first stage, cut prices by 10-20%, shove most the remainder into more r&d

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its not only a classist shaggaring, it's a classic shaggaring

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, lots of countries have all the good things that peeps want because the politicians correctly just fuckin ignore the crazies

crazies in america get 6 votes to normal peeps' 1 in the senate, about

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

i think that china has something like that centralized digital citizen identity system coming along real nicely

less hosed up countries have it too

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

GenJoe posted:

estonia is where u can become a pioneer digital e-citizen and it seems like a p nice place

https://www.baltictimes.com/news/articles/21670/

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
when i first saw james damore's face, i recall thinking about the remarkable resemblance to the sa emoticon

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fishmech posted:

conservatives like chapo trap house

that's pretty prime bait right there, bub

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

:agreed:

I also yearn for the brave new world where the biggest (and only insult) you can use without getting hauled off to prison is "Your grayness is different today" :geno:

"dipshit"
"dipshit" is the one true insult, forged in the fires of mount doom to offend absolutely everyone right properly

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the root word dip means stupid

but, importantly, it doesn't denigrate the actually mentally handicapped

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
cliff at 1 year vest over 4 years is the standard

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

President Beep posted:

pretty sure this thread will cover someone’s death, incarceration, or both

we already had multiple fatal autopilot dealies

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the method in which they are bad is that they burn out bushy-tailed new engineers who are true believers

it didn't work for tesla because there's not an oversupply of automobile peeps. there is an oversupply of aerospace peeps. not a big one but there is one

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the important thing about spacex that nasa didn't have was that they could avoid being accountable to the dipshits in congress and the ol' 50-state-supply-chain. vc's for companies founded by founders who have had an exit before are like, "ok, here's the wired money, i'ma gently caress off and wear the gently caress out of this vest in soma now"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

i went to a bar in the dogpatch on friday and offhandedly noticed that there were like eight people wearing patagonia/columbia/north face vests over button-down shirts

it's become the official vc uniform cuz it's dadfashion but it's compatible with startupland

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

FMguru posted:

my sense of spacex is that theyre "disrupting" the current spaceflight market in a good way - most launches are handled by a boeing/lockheed-martin consortium (the united launch alliance) which had a nice cozy near-monopoly on all things rocket related in the us and no real reason to innovate or develop new technology or find cheaper ways to do things (cost-plus government contracts, hooray). the stuff spacex is doing isnt particularly innovative or amazing but it is keeping the ula honest and driving down costs and so it is a net good thing

the landing first stage dealio saves about 40% of the cost of a flight

they fully plan to save like 98% of the cost

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Schadenboner posted:

Wish we could save like 98% of the cost of your posting ("cost" in terms of the distress we all experience from reading it because your posts are so bad!)

that post would've worked without the parenthetical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Rex-Goliath posted:

god could you even imagine what a tech worker strike could look like? imagine the stock exchange being forced to shut down

stock exchange

google

facebook

netflix

amazon

imagine them all shut down :bisonyes: