Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

qirex posted:

I saw an interview with a super wealthy guy a while back and while he was definitely a shitlord he had one good point that charity should be done anonymously because it's the only way to know you're not doing it for the recognition

yeah but charity doesn't mean actually giving away your money to philanthropic organizations anymore, it means putting the money into your private foundation, where you can claim it will eventually be distributed to good causes but face few requirements to do so, all while enjoying tax advantages. any publicized giving and the recognition generated is only so the public doesn't wise up and make it illegal for you to do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if you go on the joe rogan experience, you are going to smoke weed with joe rogan. the only way to get out of this is if you're a professional athlete who'd lose his job for pissing dirty

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

TACD posted:

hey siri how do i short stocks

if you're smart, you don't, because the market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

yes yes but you see the price of amazon is totally justified by expectation of future dividends, it has nothing to do with speculation that some future idiot wants to buy in at an even dumber price than you

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

FAUXTON posted:

Oh my god they quote his tweets lmao

you bet they do, tesla filed an 8-k saying the tweets are official statements and encouraged investors to follow them

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000119312513427630/d622890d8k.htm posted:

Item 8.01. Other Events.
Tesla Disclosure Channels To Disseminate Information

Tesla investors and others should note that we announce material information to the public about our company, products and services and other issues through a variety of means, including Tesla’s website, press releases, SEC filings, blogs and social media, in order to achieve broad, non-exclusionary distribution of information to the public. We encourage our investors and others to review the information we make public in the locations below as such information could be deemed to be material information. Please note that this list may be updated from time to time.

Interested in keeping up with Tesla?

For more information on Tesla and its products, please visit: teslamotors.com

For more information for Tesla investors, please visit: ir.teslamotors.com

For the latest information from Tesla, including press releases and the Tesla blog, please visit: teslamotors.com/press

For additional information, please follow Elon Musk’s and Tesla’s Twitter accounts: twitter.com/elonmusk and twitter.com/TeslaMotors

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Combat Theory posted:

Buy old cars*, they are better for your wallet and the environment and you can post in AI about fixing them instead of GBS about taking a second mortgage to pay for parts and service.

*generic MPI gasoline engine with a 3 way catalyst

what if i dont know how to fix a car and i dont have the tools or a garage to put them in

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Combat Theory posted:

1. Buy a Haynes repair manual for the car

2. You should always have basic tools

3. A garage/storage will run you cheaper than the increased degradation of a vehicle that sits outside and is rarely maintained.

1 i could do, 2 i mean yeah i have a toolbox but not a full ratchet set or w/e, 3 no it will not because i live in the san francisco bay area. i mean i do have a carport and i maintain my (2017, purchased new) vehicle by taking it in for warranty service when the owner's manual says to do so

Truga posted:

buy a bike, you need a size 14 and size 8 wrench to fix literally anything on it and it fits in your closet.

again, san francisco bay area. i want to live.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

any change a renter might want has already been thought of by landlords 5 years before you got there, debated in city council meetings at 1pm on tuesdays that only retired busybodies show up to, and enshrined into law in favor of those property owners, who have been voting for the garbage politicians for the last 35 years

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

there's a state wide rent control proposition on the ballot this time, prop 10. it doesn't actually establish any rent control at all, it just changes some rules to give cities more freedom to decide to implement rent control if they want to. the constant commercials against it are hilarious, like homeowners are being ATTACKED

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Combat Theory posted:

But yeah to get back to what Truga said, if you live so urbanized that you run into space issues of a garage, the question would be if it truly is necessary to sustain individual mobility in Form of a car or if you wouldn't be better of with a bicycle and maybe a motorbike for trips outta town (they run you a lot cheaper in general)

tbh i have been considering getting an electric bicycle, one of the pedal assist ones, because it would suit most of my needs... only need the car for longer trips or when i gotta haul poo poo back from costco

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

jeffery posted:

holyshit. tim chose a characterset to encode my surveillance data in, in which, the brain would have the most difficulty processing. a data set which physically lacks characters from the standard dataset.

jeffery posted:

you just got owned by bazinga. tim has the brain's algorithms configured in such a way that advantage tim. and tim refuses to admit such fact

wtf are you talking about dude are you having some kind of psychotic break

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

KoRMaK posted:

kahnbahn is very silicon valley tho. it took them 30 years to learn it from toyato, but its there now

idk it sounds like they were actually using kanban in a way that was useful to them the workers, tracking what parts they have/need, with cards representing physical objects and simplifying their organization, rather than the silly con valley way of having a whiteboard or jira shiteboard that shows stories moving from in progress to qa to complete, which executives can look at rather than having to think for 5 seconds

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

if your story doesn't fit the jira workflow then you can't put it in jira and therefore you can't work on it because it's not in jira!!!!11

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i know someone who claims to have met and slept with larry ellison through "seeking arrangements"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

qirex posted:

if we try to sell automated systems that are any less aggressive than humans nobody will want them

this has been my argument against self driving cars for a while now yeah. maybe we can build them if everyone goes 20mph. otherwise the way we drive is so completely unsafe that we'd never find it acceptable without being able to point to MUH DRIVING SKILLZ as a reason why those statistics are for other people, not me