Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018
I'm too stupid to put something witty here. Sorry. :canada:

Waffle House posted:

no dont ruin my headcanon, I want the future with the Lowtax Superspine

If it helps any, this thread is the one that finally got me to stop lurking and get an account. So there should be at least a little more income for the site now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

rapeface posted:

now buy an av or forever be cursed to be a whitenoise poster

Is this any better? Also, at least Tesla can never be accused of making the same slow rolling coffins as their competition. You can get a speeding ticket on the way to the grave!

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

ol qwerty bastard posted:

"if i accuse someone of a crime and they don't sue me, that proves my accusation was true" wow this is the sort of brain genius logic that makes musk the smartest man on the world no wonder he can make all the best inventions like cars that automatically catch fire or a subway that only goes in one direction

Well, to be fair, as long as you have another subway line running the other way running somewhat close to it, and some method of transferring trains from one tunnel to the other at each end, could still work. Still not the best solution, mind you, but theoretically fixable. As I understand it, most actual subway systems tend to run somewhat like this anyways, at least the smaller ones I have personally been on. Can't speak for the larger, more complex ones.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

SmokaDustbowl posted:

LRTs have an engine on both ends so they can go back and forth on the same track easily, instead of doing some convoluted hyperloop u turn

Which is fine for systems where you can ensure you will never have more than one train in the same block at the same time, or two trains approaching each other without a passing track/siding. At least in the (small) metro system in my town, they just have one track on each side of the platforms, one for one direction and one for the opposite. Turnaround loop at each end of the line. Kind of wish they would let people ride during the turnaround, but they make everyone get off of the trains. I guess it has to do with a noise thing? It is pretty noisy from what echoes out of the tunnel.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

ate all the Oreos posted:

im sure computer vision and AI and big gyroscopes could do that just fine, it's a solved problem

just have the trains go up on two wheels to go around each other like in cartoons, problem solved

Unfortunately, you would have to make the tunnels larger to allow clearance for that, assuming you could also solve for keeping the trains from derailing in the process. Since you just made them larger, you now have room for two tracks and the more complex solution you have provided would no longer be needed.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

SmokaDustbowl posted:

what's it like living at the kiddie ride section of an amusement park

Eh, could be worse. Where I live is like right on the edge of needing a metro in the downtown, built-up areas. Doesn't make sense to have a huge sprawling system with how town is laid out, just one line does what we need for now.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

yeah, it's actually something that was done over a hundred years ago called a gyro monorail that looks absolutely terrifying to ride in

the end goal with them was to have them going insanely fast because they can bank very sharp turns automatically without any special equipment, so that's fun

:gonk:

Also, not sure how they would pass each other with only one rail between them. Even leaning opposite directions, I think clearance would be an issue.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

look at this big boy taking the lollipop train over to his job at the candy cane factory lol

We can't all live in the big city. :shrug:

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

lmfao at that fire engine prototype! Must have been some amazing drugs they were on to come up with that. So silly-con valley it hurts.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

'no'

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

what is your favorite thing about erlin maks?

Either his ability to consistently come up with the worst possible solutions to problems that don't exist/he made up, or the ease with which he is ridiculed.

The accent is pretty amusing too.

If I had to pick one thing seriously, I'd say maybe his desire/commitment to trying to get us off of this hunk of rock before it gets completely dickered.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

infernal machines posted:

ahahahahahaha

hahahahha

haaaaa!

yeah, he's right up there with newt's moon base in terms of practical ability to accomplish his goals

Well yeah, but at least he is trying to put the idea out there that maybe staying on just one planet might not be the best idea.

Though, now that I think about it, it might not be good for that idea's survival if it comes from him...

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

Roosevelt posted:

eh grahms the ehcid kips wearin off. sang me a song te put me mood right or else ah may cry agin

I just realised that seth efrikin and kiwi accents are closer together than I thought.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

maybe humans should be on zero planets

I mean, you aren't wrong...

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

President Beep posted:

i used a manual reel mower for a while. boomers walking by on the sidewalk would stop and marvel at me for using such an archaic device and wax nostalgically about their youth. also, my yard isn't a putting green so it worked like poo poo.

Supposedly the motorised versions of these are one of the best ways to cut a lawn, haven't tried it myself though. Too expensive.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

President Beep posted:

i want to believe

e: lol. it’s irl ray smuckles.

What am I looking at here? Some dude managed to fool a supercharger into charging a non-tesla car?

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

eschaton posted:

I got more confident in $TSLA when Ol’ Musky hired Chris Lattner, it made me think that maybe they weren’t the total clownshow they appeared to be

I completely lost confidence when he got fired left

the company would legit be better off with him in charge and Elon gone, Chris knows how to hire good people and listen to them

But then how is Elon supposed to prove that you can run a business entirely from the power of memes and shitposting?

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

Shaggar posted:

non-profit doesn't mean they don't make profits. BCBS is a "non-profit".

also most public entities are dysfunctional but they have profit motives in that they are largely there to fund private organizations. They do just enough to ensure that funding and nothing else.

In addendum, non-profit =/= not-for-profit, and entities categorised as such love to exploit that misunderstanding. From what crusty garbage my brain can dredge up on the subject, non-profit legally aren't allowed to make a profit and any they happen to make has to be got rid of somehow. Not-for-profit can't have making money be their core goal, but they have less oversight as to what happens if they 'accidentally' make money.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018
funy computer

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

Poniard posted:

yesterday i met someone who genuinely thinks that teslas are good cars and you can't convince someone who wants a tesla to stop wanting one

by the time he tries to purchase one he'll either get a completely nonfunctioning car or no car at all

my uncle drinks the poo poo out of the tesla koolaid, thinks they are the best company ever etc.
he gets his income from stock market so idk

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

iospace posted:

Also true! I wouldn't be surprised if Nissan and GM did some reverse engineering on them.

(tangential: the original WD-40 formula got moved this week. It was in a briefcase handcuffed to the CEO's hand)

dubya-dee fourty

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

Munkeymon posted:

nobody else knows how to add a volatile solvent to light machine oil?

one that then eventually turns around and attracts/holds in water to cause more rust, causing you to use more of it to fix the problem...

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

also i'm p sure they heavily discourage multistory brick cladding here because during an earthquake they'll all spill off the building and land on passerby

but that's prolly a local code thing idk

at any rate elong is extremely dumb and clearly didn't talk to anyone that uses bricks for anything first

obv the bricks are to hurl at haters/pedos/haters who are also pedos

:v:

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

jit bull transpile posted:

is that why all the houses in CA are made out of wood? it looks so loving strange to me, a person from the land of concrete and cinderblock

esp given how flammable ca is

wood can flex in earthquake conditions, cinderblock/concrete/masonry just cracks and falls apart. for similar reasons, california houses rarely have basements.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

iospace posted:

That's what the trend is at the moment, use the electrics for on demand power, then use a tiny gas engine for cruising when you only need what, 30-40 HP. With cars getting more aerodynamic, the amount of power needed is going to drop as well.

Basically, a small, turbo 1L 3 cylinder Atkinson cycle engine paired with a 50 HP electric motor would be enough to get you around town and on the freeway. Because you have the electric motor, which would also function as the starter, you can shut the gas engine off at stop lights and not worry about trashing your starter down the line.

i was always worried about the constant start-stop cycles being bad on engine wear from lack of oil pressure while starting. i take it they fixed that issue somehow?

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

Peeny Cheez posted:

Well, my industry involves working in autos. Does that count?

lewd

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

Sagebrush posted:

yeah lol the alternator in my car is rated at 95 amps output and the lithium battery could safely take maybe 4-5A charge absolute max.

i had a fire extinguisher though so whatever, it's only over the limit by a factor of twenty

now that's the tesla way!

safety third!

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018
i mean tbf a lithium pack with a protection circuit to keep it from going bang when the alternator kicked back in would have been fine i think. rip his battery though, they don't tend to like deep discharge followed by high current charging. similar with alternator/voltage regulator, both of those got a workout. could be worse.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

wait what

someone explain, im confus

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

neutral cuts power to the motor, but the parking brake engages automatically when you exit the vehicle. to disable that you need to enable transport mode, which needs the computer to function

funy computer: car edition

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

Combat Theory posted:

Your undelivered new car is sitting outside unprotected and next to a railroad for half a month? Totally fine. Please don't worry about all the brown spots on your paint job, that's just the flip flop effect.

any brown spots don't exist, if they did exist it would be a conspiracy by the shorts and haters.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

President Beep posted:

ah, but you’re forgetting the real powers here: pedos and ICE manufacturers. :tinfoil:

ah, my bad, my bad.

i must have misread the venn diagram again.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

Marijuana posted:

i'm never riding in a tesla

iirc the 'hidden cable' in the second example is literally a piece of twine, and not even good quality stuff. so just as likely to shred in your hand as to do its job of letting you out in a crash situation, especially after baking in the interior of the door under the hot sun for who knows how long.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

prisoner of waffles posted:

NOW! that's what I call safety third

saftey turd

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

Silver Alicorn posted:

I also want to see Elon musks head on a spike

if you kill the lolcow, you cannot squeeze more lulz from it.

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

iospace posted:

Amazon is also the company that treats its workers like utter poo poo, and investors are hoping that it becomes the norm so more money ultimately flows to them. See also: Uber. There's other reasons why stock does well, but that's the main reason that I mentioned.

Also, reminder that investors freaked the gently caress out when Delta decided, mid-contract, to give its pilots and flight attendants raises. One even said "Labor gets paid while the investors get scraps."

which is how it should be, fuckface.

:capitalism:

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

Jabor posted:

i wonder if a company could issue a press release that was 100% truthful with the facts, but phrased things in such a way that all the analysis bots would guess wrong

(the answer is almost certainly "yes", but since you'd be loving with rich people's money it probably wouldn't end well for you)

p sure any bot that isn't doing sub-millisecond poo poo is actually just a pajeet

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

there were a bunch of tweets showing water damage to the trunk area and missing screws/bolts in and around the wheel wells

they didn't need those screws and bolts, stop spreading FUD you short

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

iospace posted:

watch me eat toast, fellow humans

zuck and r-money should have a press conference about how human they both are

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

MrAptronym posted:

My rice cooker just died, does your super intelligent cooker work well? Any recommendations?

qirex posted:

my rice cooker says "neuro fuzzy logic" on it it is an artificially intelligent appliance

it also plays a sweet chiptune rendition of "twinkle twinkle little star" when you turn it on

pretty much any of the mid-to-high tier zojirushi rice cookers are /amazing/, i love mine. make sure you get the induction version, the resistive heat one works... alright. induction heat blows it out of the water. does a lot more than just rice too, between that and the timer function you can set up a meal to be ready when you need it. thats the one gotcha, the timer function is 'i want this to be ready at' not 'i want you to start at', which tripped me up till i got used to it. they also make some combo rice cooker/pressure cooker thing that i want but not bad enough to scour craigslist for.

and yes, make sure it has the 'fuzzy logic' sticker on it, the other ones are just dumb timer/weight sensor cooking, /maybe/ a bit better temp control than the heating coil/ptc combo the cheapy cookers use.

Lonoxmont fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonoxmont
Aug 28, 2018

Cocoa Crispies posted:

this part owns

waking up to rice & beans is the best

red beans and rice is awesome, i used mine a lot for steel-cut oatmeal. just set it up the night before and let it soak overnight, it kicks on to be ready to go in the morning. was p sweet.