Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Tesla morons call their cars "MS" or "MX" or "M3" even though those are already parts of names for cars

so you gotta clarify that you mean the good m3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

PCjr sidecar posted:

lol nissan

it isnt 1986 anymore

it was when the book was published lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Post poste posted:

Somehow these fakes will still have panel gaps.

they’ll make stav a board me,bomber

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Elon: vat be ar proposing is a buy out of Panasonic’s shares in the giba facto-

*drowned out by furious and obnoxious cackling*

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

maybe lowtax can become one of the independent board members required by the settlement

I thought they wanted people with the spine to stand up to musk

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

prisoner of waffles posted:

kinda wild how gun sizes work. huge difference between an AA gun and a BB gun

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
Your
Ostentatious
Sedan is a
Piece
Of
poo poo

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

exploded mummy posted:

you should name it henry

there’s already a car company named after a henry

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Chris Knight posted:

grimey's all right
musky's all right
he just seems a little stressed
surrender, surrender
but don't give your stock away

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

jeffery posted:

holyshit. did tim intentionally set my data input into the brain to be auto-translated into an other-than-standard characterset?

blame radium, this is what the forums are telling browsers to use:
content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1

e: 💩

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

qirex posted:

there's a nonzero chance elon will be killed by one of his rockets so we can look forward to him being a permanent martyr for dumb people who think they're smart

the mercedes GTwhatever has explosive bolts that fire if the car crashes upside down to free the passengers

SLS AMG

some jag convertibles have explosive-actuated roll bars to keep the car from crushing occupants' skulls if it flips, because apparently people are willing to trust their lives to the intersection of "British car electrical system" and "explosives"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lord Stimperor posted:

The cool thing was that it was, IIRC, also the same crew to eject out of an air plane twice when they had to do it again a short while later.

yeah this is why modern ejection seats are set up with a parachute, so instead of when you eject you splorp right back down in the plane you just ejected from, the parachute makes your seat slow down while the plane keeps going, so you end up behind it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

i imagine the parachute probably stops you from hitting the ground too, but i don't know much about this besides the basics

nah making sure you don't hit the ground (until you want to) was the airplane's job, the parachute just makes it so you hit the ground less hard

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I've never seen anything on the underside of a car besides metal, fiberglass-reinforced plastic, or rubber

what does fiberglass-reinforced plastic look like when it's damaged by a puddle?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Munkeymon posted:

do any EV makers actively cool the battery? I'm guessing not but figured I might as well ask

like, all of them?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
old nissans leaf didn't which did a great job at shithousing their resale value and making nissan spend more on warranty replacements

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lord Stimperor posted:

Are there any concepts how an economy could safely dispose of and recycle EV batteries?

use a slingshot to put individual cells through mansion windows

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

my old boss used to talk about his previous job where everything required documentation and design and paperwork and approval before work on the programming could even begin and you'd work on one small project for 6 months straight as a result because everything moved glacially slow and for some reason this was a bad thing to him

one place I spent like three hours optimizing a query and some data structures and then thirty-seven writing the fan fiction and running the meetings about it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

afaik there is no way to get a model 3 out the door for under $50K, so more than that

park a fire truck outside

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

leaf still has air-cooled batteries

not new ones

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
prius: most reliable car you can buy
model 3: has parts fall off in the rain, also the windows fall apart

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
it's a shame the Prius isn't this good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjZGmgG6VHM

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

if you're a luxury car buyer you're used to constantly taking your 80k car to the shop for absurdly expensive repairs, but you do have to be the sort of person who is down to put up with that so you can drive an audi or porsche.

if you're a luxury car buyer you're used to constantly taking your 80k car to the shop for absurdly expensive repairs, but you do have to be the sort of person who is down to put up with that so you can drive an audi or porsche.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Peeny Cheez posted:

So, Kotex, how was your experience volunteering to help deliver shitwagons to idiots?

personally I'd be pretty stoked about getting to fury road a fire truck down public streets while a fleet of models 3 chased after me on the way to their new owners victims

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
not my preferred winter footwear

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
their urinals make a huge mess every time I try to use one too

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my coworkers that do this would be biking along 50 miles of 101 each way to and from hollister

figure out a non-insulting way to tell your coworkers to transfer to a Hollister that's more convenient for them to get to

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

*honorary co-founder

*onanary co-founder

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Combat Theory posted:

Teslas door latches are an exeptionally bad example, but thats exactly the reason that trunk locks have gone from mechanical to full electric. only that the consequences in an electric failure are much less severe.

Modern cars always have partially electric door locks due to the central locking and the systems are very expensive and often use electro pneumatic components, if you wanna go all out electric, you can remove the entire locking mechanism and just deny electric opening in the locked state, which (for the trunk locks) turned out to be cheaper.

i should have said "this is why sane manufacturers switch stuff to electric instead of mechanical solutions", although as one can read, im not a fan of that dogma whatsoever

other typical examples:

-Electric Power Steering
-Electric Handbrake
-Electric Turn signal stock (this is exeptionally confusing)

all these are in Cars for the reason that they are cheaper to make than a mechanical solution.

on certain models and brands this can even be true for Power Windows and Power Mirrors, because of the otherwise complicated actuator position

electric power steering works better than hydraulic in some engine domains, like wide-open throttle or off
electric pumps and cabin a/c works better than mechanical for the same reason

toyota nailed both of these over a decade ago btw

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ocrassus posted:

if you’re talking Europe don’t forget that most airlines make you pay for a type rating up front.

e: conditions for pilots have been steadily declining over the past few decades and I will not be surprised when the two pilots are reduced to one when redundancy via remote control becomes acceptable. Technology killed the engineer and navigator in much the same way. basically don’t become a pilot hth

yeah go read the aviation thread in a/t if you want to see how bad it is

the view's nice but everything else is bull poo poo

idk if it's because of how the unions are very seniority-focused or too close to the company but poo poo like how you're not getting paid for preflight or other waiting around seems nightmarish

some places are really bad to touch computer for but computer touching is some of the best work any human has ever had to do

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Ocrassus posted:

Despite the stereotype of just being office button pushers in the sky, there is the occasional time where you have to crab with your 200 tonne plane in a crosswind, and make no mistake that takes a lot of dexterity and skill. It’s very satisfying.

oh yeah I totally buy that there's really satisfying parts to it

and really terrifying parts

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
rand() rover (it randomly decides what to do)

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

big scary monsters posted:

on the one hand pilots are just the bus drivers of the sky, but on the other hand bus drivers are pretty underpaid in general. so good on those sky bus drivers i guess but how about some solidarity with their earthbound brothers and sisters

it'd be a stretch if a lifer international captain had solidarity with a new first officer

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

silicon valley: what if fubu but a car

cubu

Canadians
Used to
Buy
Us

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

flakeloaf posted:

sucks to your rear end car

"Tesla: sucks to your rear end car" mods

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

You could also make the entire chassis a resistor, so it heats up with the power going through it so your car doesn't freeze shut every morning.

Dominic you rat, you gave me the ol' spicy tesla

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

the barrier to entry for something that looks functional is low. real loving low.

that idiot xda forum superstar geohotz built one with a laptop and a webcam that could basically follow lanes and accelerate and brake the car. some people seem to think this is enough to make something that your average schlub is going to use for a bajillion miles a day in real-world driving conditions

e: https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/13/17561484/george-hotz-comma-ai-self-driving-car-scam-diy-kit

geohot is kind of a dumbass but he's smart as hell too lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
my parents got a 2005 Prius back in 2011 and they still love it, they drive it all over the US and it just keeps on goin'

it's not fast, it's not fun in itself, it's just really cheap to go places in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Combat Theory posted:

weird comeback but ok.

nah their experience with unreliable hell cars is valid, they've obviously had a lot more of it than the rest of us

the a4 i used to drive had literally the exact same problem w the brake lights. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯