Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

muckswirler posted:

lol B5 and C5 being your point of reference for audi automobiles explains a lot. yeah a 2018 model 3 is probably faster with a more reliable drivetrain than either of those.

I thought the c5 was a corvette

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Lightbulb Out posted:

i think the difference between the large manufacturers issues compared to teslas come down to the tesla issues being a lot more obvious and should have been noticed with any modicum of testing

probably a lot of institutional knowledge and a shitload of revenue to fund a testing program that would’ve caught a lot of the dumbest issues

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

redleader posted:

oooh, would this include a 2004 beetle? because the wife owns one and it is such a tremendous piece of poo poo that i refuse to buy european cars any more

infernal machines posted:

it was probably made in mexico, if that helps

yeah, what's the first three digits of the vin?

if it's '3VW' that's vw of mexico

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
why you people responding to an anime avatar

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

"park as if you're parked on a hill" (which is weird because florida doesn't have hills)

we have parking garages

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

sanchez posted:

Build Quality - The Model 3 doors take much more force to close and sound pretty bad when doing so. The trunk alignment isn't very good. There are ripples in a few places in the door seals. Some panels/glass are not flush with their neighbors and stick out a little bit. The frunk feels fragile and comes with instructions on where not to press to avoid denting it. Playing a podcast (long audio file?) causes the audio subsystem to crash/reboot intermittently which means I lose the podcast sound and all other sounds (turn signal clicker) for 10-15 seconds. The passenger window sticks up about 1/4in when all the way down. Interior trim pieces around the inside of the doors on the floor are questionable.

Friction Brakes - The Model 3 ones are spongy and lackluster. They stop the car, they're just not very confidence inspiring.

3rd party app support - Tesla has no car play, no android auto, not even the clunky way idrive lets me control spotify. You're stuck with straight bluetooth streaming from a phone or whatever service Tesla has built into the car. I use waze/spotify a lot so this is irritating.

Emergency rear seat egress - Call it paranoia but sooner or later somebody is going to be burned to death or drowned when they get stuck in the back after an accident and the electric door openers are inoperative.

[…]

So, a few surprises for both better and worse, but overall I'm very happy with the car. It's enough fun to drive that overlooking the quality quirks has been completely worth it.

lmao@ the build quality section

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

new yorker is really good actually,for political reporting. just ignore all the stuff about art and tennis.

their English orthography is top notch too

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

gently caress SNEEP posted:

i never rode ellen's ride or the great movie ride and now i'm replacing them both :rip:

i'm the epcot destroyer

the best part of E.P.C.O.T. centre is la cava del tequila

more flights than MCO

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

man this car handles correct. it's a perfect balance of light, tight, and responsive. it's most definitely better than every audi and bmw i've driven, and i fucken love audis. together with the no-transmission acceleration and instant torque, this is a very addicting car to drive. the suspension is similarly balanced between comfort and "sport", it both handles rough roads well and corners right. there's almost no bodyroll, but thats more a center-of-gravity thing with the battery "skateboard." braking is good, i might like more sensitivity though - like if i so much as rest my foot on the brake pedal on my a6, it engages, and im into that.

the interior is good too. i would compare it to a mercedes CLA. there's room for refinement, its not audi level, but its not bad by any means.

i'm warming up to the big-screen-in-the-middle thing. i think the underlying paradigm is correct, and once you get used to it, it does seem like a better place to have the speedometer, or at least, the visibility benefit is well worth it.

while its better than say, xdrive or audi mmi, the ui needs a lot of work, and some things like climate control should get their physical switchgear back. the car radar display thing in particular is buggy and inaccurate, but its a really good safety feature when merging, and id rather have it in this state than not at all. this one doesnt have autopilot so i didnt test that

so far, my only major gripe with the model 3 is road noise. its not horrendous, like on the 9-3 i drove in college, but its much more noticeable than it ought to be especially without an IC engine to cancel it out. at this price, it should be way quieter.

there arent any panel gap issues on this example, and even though it was very dewy this morning, i couldnt find any condensation in the taillights either. i dont doubt that people are having these, and other issues - the cold weather problems in particular sound pretty serious - but i can also see why they generally qualify those legitimate complaints with "but i love this car."

as it stands, this is probably best geared towards people with money to spend driving luxury european cars: audi, bmw, mercedes, saab, volvo, who are used to putting up with various issues and "quirks" for their ride. those buyers will be very happy, and the people i know or have met who switched from one of those cars love their tesla (although thats generally been more model s drivers than model 3.) if you are expecting a toyota-like experience, wait for a refresh.

but overall: sorry yospos, its a good car lol

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Here is my capsule review of a weekend with a Model 3 which I posted in the yospos tesla thread. I will save you from having to read that as it's one of the most insane groupthink brainworms threads I have read in eleven years on these here forums.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/134787490526658561

🌽 🌽 🌽 🌽

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

honestly seems pedantic at this point. the econ prize was added on, but is administered by the Nobel foundation. to whatever extent a prize celebrating achievement in physics or chemistry should share a name with a prize for literature or peace, im not seeing how econ should be the pariah

econ is made up poo poo to further global capital's mission to end life on earth in pursuit of profits

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Chalks posted:

honestly the easiest way to synchronise the vehicles would be to just tie them together. you could save a lot of money by removing unnecessary elements such as engines from all but the lead car, and just put a bigger engine in the front one. you could also make it cheaper to use by letting people buy tickets to ride in the cars instead of having to buy an entire car each too, and then you could avoid the need for every single garage to have an elevator by having specific locations along the tunnel that people can board and leave the cars.

it's basically bitcoin re-inventing the entire history of finance except with subways

most subways have traction motors scattered around the train

like, the Yamanote Line (4M passengers/day, or 200,000 passengers/hour of operation, or 11 models 3 per second) has six powered cars and five unpowered cars; both kinds of car hold about 150 people and you can ride it in a big circle around Tokyo all day for like $2

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
just paint a tunnel leading to a fire truck on a big tough wall, that way you don't need a tunnel to annihilate Tesla owners

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
unironically love how "brain genius" means the opposite

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

"women experience jealousy in a fundamentally different way from men because the social implications of uteruses caused their brains to evolve emotions differently" or "men are genetically hardwired to be attracted to skinny young women, while women don't care about appearance but are biologically compelled to desire high-status men"

instinctively reading this in that frank smith / Jorp voice

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

well the domain expired so feel free to pick it up, i think it was like twess.me? I wanted a really short one because it'd function as one of those "type this in in front of the URL" services

twess.ay

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
gif of tim heidecker with a steampunk moustache saying "it's free energy"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

he was also the inspiration for Rick Sanchez

not a lot of people know that

the guy who got kicked off CNN for stuff about a jewish conspiracy and now has a radio show on RT?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

aardvaard posted:

not really a moved goalpost since the original post does in fact say that they can go 0-60 very fast but not continuously

no car can go 0-60 very fast but continuously, because you have to stop before you do it again

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

lmao trials for car dlc

please stand up and say "I love tesla and our savior elon musk" to extreme your trial for 30 days

don't forget you gotta drink a verification can while in from of the camera

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

does he have world firsts or something? or is a major streamer/twitch partner?

I doubt that was a thing five years ago

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

My Linux Rig posted:

you know what else is cheaper then parking? bus fare

the bus is so good too, it’s socially acceptable to thank the driver which you basically can’t do on a train

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

there are so very many things about this that are amazing,

1) the "battery pack" is a sled under the car, so they're basically having to dismantle the entire car to swap it out

2) there are good odds that they have no idea what battery packs are good or not, because if they did they would have caught this in production/QA at least, so non-zero odds on getting a bad replacement pack too

3) given the cost of these things, what are the odds they won't be refurbing recalled packs and pushing them back into the channel? these are the most expensive component of the vehicle after all

from everything I've heard they'll almost certainly gently caress up and constantly put the defective pack on someone else's recalled car or even back on the same car and mark the recall done due to rank incompetence or negligence from the C-suite down

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

:argh: crapple!!! :argh:

these are defective long-range battery packs so can they just put them in standard-range cars, hide under a pile of coats, and hope everything works out for the best?

careful with the pile of coats, that might actually make the model 3 function in cold weather

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

let's not lose sight of the whole "odometer is software writable and resets if the firmware is applied incorrectly" part.

or even "odometer is rendered by the whole software & hardware stack that could be hacked to show lies to unsophisticated viewers"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

odometers powered by node.js

the best part is once you get to 9007199254740991 miles you'll never get past it

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

TK-42-1 posted:

greased poles and d cells

enough about your mother

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

klafbang posted:

Fair, though I wonder how the hell Germany has so high worker accidents…

if you think american drivers are bad wait until you find out about german forklift drivers

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

americans are incredibly stupid.

Shaggar posted:

worker safety in germany is worse because its largely worker led as opposed to the US where its company led (for liability reasons). you can get fired in the us for being unsafe where its protected in germany if your co-workers are ok with it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nfcknblvbl posted:

won't be relevant in 5 years when they get beat by their own game by everyone else

ya Tesla was like the best at the electric traction but they’re loving up the actual car parts like doors and vents and the speedometer more and more and all the companies that understand things like underbody panels and trunk lids and how to reverse engineer a Tesla are going to ruin them

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

this doesn't sound simple at all. how can you even add lightness to someone else's parts?

it's called a "drill"

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

air density.

air motherfucking density. that's what we're all ignoring here, the effect of increased drag due to air density on the fuel economy of an ICE vehicle vs a BEV

I mean that's fair, Tesla spent a bunch of time on making their cars slippery as hell to save energy which is why they leak water and have door handles that freeze up making you not want to drive them in bad weather

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

I had a smart through work for a while and the transmission poo poo itself while I was driving on the highway.

how could you tell, the gas ones had autos that were worse than my brother learning stick

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

why was a turbocharged solution better than the supercharged 2-stroke

less poo poo hanging off the driveshaft wasting energy when not necessary

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how does this specifically help at altitude

not being snarky, i am actually curious

there’s less air at altitude and if you have some kind of air compressor between atmosphere and the manifold you can put more air in the cylinder

a turbo is powered by exhaust and if there’s not much of that it just kinda windmills

a supercharger is hooked right up to the crankshaft and is always compressing air if the engine is turning

turbos are a lot simpler which is why they’re on any forced induction car that’s not the top end corvette or something

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

evil_bunnY posted:

it needs to stay in the loving ground.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

any suggestions for trees that grow in florida's awful coastal sandy garbage soil? asking for a friend

Combat Theory posted:

Mangroves. They also double as tsunami breakers.

yeah, we got those here, they’re cool

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Combat Theory posted:

no, you see we just import the power from our nuclear energy neighbours at a premium :cool:

on a more serious note, this country recently announced its plan to withdraw from coal power within the next 12 years which is a fairly sensible goal i think.

what's the replacement though?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

syscall girl posted:

alligators kick rear end

does the florida panther actually exist though?

yeah

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

i saw one in the wild in real life once a looong time ago

haven't ever seen one since though :sigh:

e: the florida panther i mean, aligators are all over the goddamn place, just laying around being smug bastards

e2: to be fair I don't really live where they do but even if i did there's only like, 200 of them left so i'd probably not see one anyway

they’re fundamentally wild cats, most of the time they keep away from the big scary noisy apes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

President Beep posted:

wow sorry you’ve never seen one

yeah only seen 'em at zoos

but I also live in one of the oldest neighborhoods in town so not many wild land critters around here