Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

The Management posted:

if any other company created a system that monitors your driving habits, reports back to home base, and ranks your safety, the internet outrage could power a small country and owners would be suing them.

oh boy do I have news for you:

https://www.allstate.com/drivewise
https://www.amfam.com/insurance/car/knowyourdrive
https://www.farmers.com/signal/
https://www.geico.com/driveeasy/
https://www.nationwide.com/personal/insurance/auto/discounts/smartride/
https://www.progressive.com/auto/discounts/snapshot/
https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/auto/discounts/drive-safe-save
https://www.travelers.com/car-insurance/programs/Intellidrive
https://www.usaa.com/insurance/safedriving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

I miss the little eco driving score that car2go smart cars had. if you drove in an eco-friendly manner, trees grew and birds, etc appeared on the screen. if you floored it and slammed on the brakes a lot, the birds disappeared and the trees died.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

PIZZA.BAT posted:

if anyone needs me i'll be in my cuddleatorium

name of my cat cafe

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

a chance to begin again in a golden land of propaganda

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

does it count as a WARN act warning if it comes after you're laid off

I don't think anyone counts as laid off until Feb, based on this?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

the most likely reason for an old kernel is having in house patches that you don't want to/cant port to newer versions of linux

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

everyone itt knows cars are bad and not everyone has the means or the infrastructure to live car free. in short shut up and

haven't you heard?

if you shame everyone who drives a car, they'll suddenly stop and make local public transport infrastructure a priority!

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

jephjacques got nuked :(

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i'm just waiting til lowtax^Welon introduces the ability to buy profile pics for other users

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

no this just won't do. the box isn't red enough. we can't ship this. our customers, who have no idea what color it was designed to be, simply won't tolerate this shade of red

uh. yeah. this is exactly where grocery outlet and friends get their stock.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

indeed it does rule

you're also gonna find a *ton* of products that have slightly hosed up packaging, be it a misprint or slightly crushed, etc.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

you can easily justify plain packaging by including a small piece of paper touting the environmental benefits. feel free to print this if you like. in black and white

and just like that you've alienated 50% of your US customer base

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

sounds like i'm alienating all the right people :shrug:

yeah, we all know successful businesses regularly go "it's cool for me to drop half my revenue, so long as i'm alienating the right people"

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yes, elon is the gold standard for management behavior, as this thread clearly demonstrates

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

lol, two different accounts. one with each type of checkmark.

e:f;b...

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

his insistence on control of everything makes me wonder how directly responsible he was for some of the goofier poo poo that's happened over the years.

remember the home depot cooling system in the model y?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Dijkstracula posted:

would that be the geolocation service, which was called geoduck

gooeyduck

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

does apple make it easy to request a refund, or do the suckers have to charge back apple?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

they’re also the big Samsung 18650 batteries used in old vapes strung together

and? samsung is probably one of the better lion manufacturers, and 18650 is used in vapes (and everything else) because it's the most common lion size...

so many things to dunk on tesla over, but using the most obvious/available lion cell from a high end manufacturer isn't really one of them

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

they sold their “advanced battery technology” as a new and innovative black box product and the realisation that that was the big innovation everyone was sold on is why the other OEMs aren’t having the same battery fires that any 2012 vape user probably experienced for themselves

eh, pretty sure the "advanced battery technology" was always "look how many cells we're balancing", which really was impressive in 2006. they should have jumped to soft pack cells like everyone else long ago if only for the space savings you get from not using a cylindrical battery, but there's nothing inherently unsafe about the 18650 formfactor or samsung as a manufacturer.

how those cells get assembled into a larger pack? yeah, that look to be an absolute poo poo show.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Just a Moron posted:

Throwing that many individual tiny cells together for a batterypack is inherently less safe and effective than using larger form factors

lol. no.

big cells have serious temperature issues, catching fire from the inside out. small cells allow for a better distribution of heat.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

k

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

they’re technically right, but there are other factors at play in how you can design the battery pack and it’s component cells, which is what everyone was actually expecting before getting their hands on one and seeing what was in the black box

given the door gap quality standards, the daisy chaining quality is probably roughly the same or slightly better (which is still bad) and negates any advantages the individual cells may have

yeah, pretty sure my position the whole time has been "samsung 18650 cells are pretty spiffy, but tesla probably assembled them in a dumb way". i suppose i did make the mistake of praising their bms work from nearly two decades ago.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Just a Moron posted:

Maybe, but the smaller form factor have many more points of failure. Plus the issue at play is surface area vs volume for heat dissipation. Smaller cells individually might be better off, but when you pack them all together, are you really maintaining the same advantage?

the "many points of failure" end up being a mixed bag. the cells aren't all in series, they're in an array of batteries in series to get the required voltage (you can't get around this one with a bigger cell -- more voltage requires more cells), then each of those series connected sets of batteries are connected in parallel to provide additional capacity.

if you lose a single cell in this configuration, you lose that "row" of cells and have decreased capacity, but the remaining rows still provide the required voltage

if you use the minimum number of really big cells in series to get the required voltage, if any one of those cells fail (perhaps due to overheating...), your battery pack is completely offline.

re: thermals
http://liionbms.com/php/wp_lots_small_cells.php

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Just a Moron posted:

Tha ks for the link. They seem to evaluating the reliability of the system assuming that individual cells fail in an open state, but what about the possibility of them failing in a closed state that causes thermal runaway?

are you asking what happens if a cell is shorted? small or big, a shorted cell is going to go poof, but you're only going to get a shorted cell if the battery pack has been physically compromised. once you're talking about the pack being physically compromised all bets are off no matter how many cells you have -- you're dealing with a fire.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i wouldn't mind the embeds if they weren't so loving slow to load

ten seconds after the page loads comments are still jumping around as embeds load

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Also, his being fired means he has to get severance, as opposed to clocking time at Twitter while job searching.

does it? i've never seen a situation where severance is guaranteed outside of golden parachutes. usually it's a company policy thing, and twitter's company policy is currently in flux

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

someone actually said "the proper definition of a microservices is that it has its own database" which seems dumb to me because if it's completely self contained and has its own db then it's an application in its own right and you're just dressing it up to sound clever

the idea is that each microservice has its own data store, and only that one service interacts with the data store. you exchange data between services via the interfaces defined in the services instead of using a database shared between multiple services. whether this is a good idea or a bad idea i have no strong opinions. i've seen both ways work well.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rotor posted:

wait what? i just woke up and there's a million posts in here and Im not readin em all, is this some new lawsuit or are they mining the old one for lolz again?

new testimony (happened today) for a lawsuit that's been going on for a while

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i thought they closed the office until monday

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

screenshots of code
sent to a choad
be more hardcore
or hit the drat road

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

home depot must have gotten a faulty batch of bulbs

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Nessus posted:

first amendment

hipaa

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

whats really funny is sometimes they'll accuse social media sites of being quasi-governmental actors and in the same breath say it doesn't apply to their platform

i think you and i have different definitions of funny

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

edit: i reed gud

outhole surfer fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 6, 2022

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

qirex posted:

idg why using a free effect pack is some sort of indictment, people have been doing that poo poo forever, I bet there were magazine articles in airbrush magazines int he 80s that taught you how to do stuff like that

sure it's ugly and tacky but "they didn't artisinally create this" is meaningless. plus as far as I know most of the design team is gone

you're talking about the thread where everyone ran with "but the car uses vape batteries" because the pack was built with 18650s

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

maybe even mix in several of the other planes he tracks. one feed with all of elon, puton, kanye, and taylor swift's flights. it's easy enough to look up who owns what tail number.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

muskrat-tracker.com is available. i haven't set up a dumb site in a while... hmm

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

where in the world is elon pretoria?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

yeah, if anything happened to him we'd lose a valuable source of laughs. this very thread depends on him living