Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

I think this has actually happened, but it may have been with IEDs and not suicide bombers per se.

the guy who wore a suicide vest and was walking from port authority to times square blew up early before getting there and didn't even kill anyone (not even himself).

so shameful ISIS didn't even claim him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Roosevelt posted:

i can't imagine being a well known public figure and smoking a jay on camera. i'm almost having a stroke from anxiety just thinking about it.

I can easily imagine doing bath salts and murdering people in Colombia though

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

wargames posted:

bringing in a qoute from AI eletric car thread

honestly tesla should be less valuable then GM and not 6~ times the value.

market cap has no relevance to anything.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the reservation system predicts the future so it just routes the traffic around the lane(s) the hobo is about to occupy

we don’t direct the car to where the hobo is. we direct the car to where the hobo is going to be - Wayne Musky

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

mewse posted:

So Musk had a meeting with the Saudis where the Saudis said they wanted Tesla to go private, gave him a 30 day deadline and he proposed it to the board without *any* accountants or lawyers looking at the deal and then announced it publicly :psyduck:

close. musk met with the Saudi’s, proposed the idea, they said possibly if the terms fit, made up a deadline, did no research, promised an impossible task, and then announced it publicly.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

prisoner of waffles posted:

Fuckin classic that the SEC was 100% ready to settle but were forced to sigh and unsheathe their katanas by the man who wouldn't admit fault

wouldn’t be surprised if the settlement included a temporary 1-2 year ban as being CEO and that’s why they were pumping those fluff pieces in the NYT so they could say he was stepping away to focus on his personal life for a short time.

then found out it would become public knowledge.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

izagoof posted:

i lived in SF from 2000 to 2003 when it was pretty chill and the idea of anyone living in hollister or gilroy is just amazing to me. i'm sure people were doing it during tech bubble #1, i just wasn't aware of it

edit: poo poo i bet there are people who commute from los banos too

posting from los baños

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

median income in the united states is $31,000

meaning half of workers make less

90% of america is working class

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

prisoner of waffles posted:

what if a.i. decides, after taking over, to torture humanity because the only way to train a non-suicidal a.i. is to mega-torture it

Elon ??

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

why did the price increase 30% when switching from metric to imperial

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

economists have math envy and will accept any simplifying assumption if it lets them play with fancy equations

physics majors have math envy too.

applied equations? what is this, a trade school?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

i rode in the sleeper car once. very nice. you even get a servant (one per car but still). protip: don't leave your shoes out for a shine if the train servant is black. every meal is free. on the good lines it's steak and poo poo. on the bad lines it's merely extremely high end frozen food. three days riding a train cross country, with a servant to make your bed, every meal catered, and literally nothing to do except contemplate how awesome it is to be rich: and this is the middle class experience. the wealthy who want to ride a train will have a private car

oh and yeah they put the dining car between coaches and sleepers. you can go the whole trip without seeing any poors aside from the ones who want to pay $30 to eat your food instead of a bag of chips from the snack stand

everyone on a train is poor

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Soricidus posted:

you say it like that would be a bad thing

I dont think it’s good for Germans to gather up people and disappear them on trains anymore

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

tbqf Estonia is famed for having digitized basically all of their administrative processes and trying to develop IT innovation as sort of their national staple.

skipping right over an era of prosperity straight to technocratic hell

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Dodoman posted:

fairly standard in India too

I assume it’s something with Delhi laws but I always see the dad driving a cycle wearing a helmet but his wife is on the back with feet on the outside wth a child in her lap and neither wearing a helmet

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I wonder how that went for Firewire and Apple's version of Thunderbolt.....

Oh right, USB and USB-C replaced them both.

thunderbolt is intel and it’s not replaced by usb-c

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

because it'd be complicated as gently caress to prove that in court and they don't want to spend enormous amounts of money on expert witnesses on a manslaughter case they're probably going to lose because the jury was too confused

all this means is that they couldn't get someone inside uber to go on the record saying that he coded it to murder people or some such.

I assume it’s some contractor loophole but the driver was watching tv on his/her phone right? if you act criminally negligent while at work isn’t the company supposed to be on the hook? in terms of payouts and whatnot at least

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

evilweasel posted:

tesla did make electric cars have a certain "cool" factor; the one thing elon is undeniably good at is marketing

prior to tesla electrical cars were considered sort of a lovely hippie thing that were nice in theory but were going to be a bad car where you were obviously taking a subpar product to help the enviroment. kind of like the veggie burger of cars.

wasn’t that what the original Tesla founders did with the roadster? I thought musk bought in after that to create the lovely 3 and X. maybe the s is considered decent?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

All I wanted was a Pepsi :mad:

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

tesla's fsd demo vehicle has been seen recording for the upcoming demo. as you can probably guess, it doesn't actually do things like drive a difficult route or follow traffic laws

https://twitter.com/skabooshka/status/1118938022412574722

https://twitter.com/skabooshka/status/1118938028385263617

I now choose to believe the camera watching the steering wheel is because someone was remote controlling it

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

I thought official Elon bullshit guidance was 500k now?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

i was convinced they'd be bankrupt by the end of last summer and here they are still limping along because i overestimated the intelligence of the investment community

the stock price doesn’t matter concerning bankruptcy. when bear sterns filed for bankruptcy it closed the day before at like $75 and then Tuesday the following week JP buys its assets at $2 a share

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

the talent deficit posted:

it's probably whiter and wealthier than you expect. adjacent to a freeway or major thrufare might be poorer than average, but within a mile covers basically every suburb and subdivision in america. probably the best place to be is in the deepest, poorest countryside

can't get sick in clean coal country

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

great now a bunch of trust fund kids are gonna go and gentrify tent encampments. also this post is on topic because it's something grimes would totally do

wasn’t there a palahniuk book about this?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

also worth noting that the only people who would qualify for 5.9% would never get that loan so I’m sure the average will be about 10%

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

yeah anything involving the stock market that isn't just buying fractional ownership in one or more businesses that get money from customers is really dubious

it's okay to not understand that stuff, some of it is designed to be confusing and all of it is designed to funnel money from normal people to big banks & hedge fund bastards

short selling is good and should exist. note that in 2008 the government banned short selling even though that wasn’t the problem. if anti government regulation people got their way they’d institute government regulation to ban short selling

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Eeyo posted:

im not literate at financial stuff, how does Elon get money back in the end? so he takes out a loan using his large amount of stock as collateral, then gives that to Tesla (buys more stock?), then what happens in like 5-10 years if Tesla is successful?

one possibility:

he hands them 30million in stock in an escrow account and receives 20 million cash. when he pays it back he gets his stock back. so if the stock goes way up he can just sel some of those shares to pay it back and get the remaining. there’s an interest rate associated with a loan too.

think of it like a heloc

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

if the collateral value drops below some set threshold % of the original loan he has to post more collateral or partially repay the loan

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

SIGSEGV posted:

i wonder how the employees feel when they grab at toilet paper that isn't there and curse themselves for forgetting to grab theirs from their bag when they'll remember that
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/24/business/highest-paid-ceos-2018.html
"Compensation for top bosses grew at double the pace of ordinary workers’ wages, according to our annual analysis. Topping the list: Elon Musk, with a $2.3 billion package."
enron's bringing home the money

I think his pay package is based off of the Tesla stock hitting multi-1000s though, lol. he and his board are such idiots

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

a Tesla may be the only time not wearing a seatbelt because “you’d rather be through the windshield and out of the car rather than in it” after it crashes is true

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Bulgakov posted:

its run by an insurance company tho, with slight rigging to cheapen it for ~autonomous reasons~ etc I think. is any tesla money on the line? that'd be ideal of course if the prohibitive cost of insuring teslas was the only thing preventing them from selling any so instead you just burn cash subsidizing premiums and eat the costs while making it up in sales (pretend money is made on sales) then jack it up or something

i dunno anything finance though. its so messy.

I thought the insurance company was just the distributor and Tesla was holding the risk on their books

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Combat Theory posted:

Problem with the I3 is that it is a serial hybrid, aka a range extender. The concept for these is pretty bad because if you plan on running any significant distance on the petrol engine you'll suffer huge efficiency losses because the entire mechanical power of the engine needs to be transformed into electrical power and then back to mechanical power, whereas parallel hybrids source the mechanical power directly through the drivetrain to the wheels at minimal losses.

A serial hybrid or range extender is like training wheels for a first time BEV driver and no one should ever use the combustion engine, it is essentially dead weight.

E: I just bought a 2003 Nissan Almera. Fight me on average looking utilitarian vehicles.

i thought the range extender was just an option

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Combat Theory posted:

that is correct, i have not seen one without the Extender however and you dont gain any battery capacity by dropping it. BMW doesnt offer it any longer in certain markets with the newest version though (training wheel aspect etc)

I was just casually checking out the i3's available and it appears, at least in the US, either the S or non-S variant without extender are pretty easy to get.

that being said, the battery is the same size but i'd guess the weight savings would at least give some extra range? I know it shows at least a 0.4 second 0-60 time increase when not using range extender... but not sure how the weight translates to range

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

I think the subways go 17 on average because they are stopping to pick up or drop off.

will you just be shot out of a rocket under your stop through a manhole?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Waroduce posted:

tbh expanding to a revenue stream associated with branded clothing and generic items would be a great way to generate some income. I'd bet it'd be fairly high volume for the first six months or so until you hit saturation (just like the cars). You can't tell me Tesla Fan boys wouldn't be all to buy shirts, watches, belts, luggage, jackets and everything that Ferrari or other racing companies do.

clothing companies operate on little profit margin, especially for customized clothing, and it wouldn’t do poo poo for the scale of losses Tesla has. so to sum up I think Elon should do it

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

will the cold gas thruster double as a tire refill tube, Elon?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

musk should install bumper car edges and just bounce down the roads for full self driving

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

TK-42-1 posted:

why do publications insert words in brackets in direct quotes to fix grammar rather than just clarifying references to groups being discussed? like i get putting subjects in for nondescript vague thems but inserting [a] just seems like covering for idiot rich people who can’t proofread

that plus sic verifies it wasn’t the publications editors who were the morons but instead the source

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

gschmidl posted:

That was half a year ago, you can push tens of thousands of commits in that time!

Appveyor status: failing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Elon Tesla