Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«2 »
FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

yeah, there might be some sneaky afrikaans slurs that us anglos won't recognize at first
the classic "macaca" maneuver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

the sierra club has been taken over by nimby olds and dc consultants, they're worse than useless now
theyve always had yuppies as their main constituency, theyre focus is on little brayden having clear water to drink and air to breathe, nothing else

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

this was obvious from the get go

me on july 3 in the tech buble thred posted:

yeah. the "5000 cars" thing was a one-off effort to hit an arbitrary deadline for pr, quarter end, and investor milestone reasons. they just needed to push 5000 vaguely car-shaped objects out of the factory exit to make their target. after all the pictures are taken and the confetti is swept away, most of them will be pushed back into the factory to have the rest of their parts reinstalled (if not outright scrapped)
im glad that theyre not actually putting those cars made in a dusty circuit tent by contractors working 14 hour shifts on the road or into customers hands, at least

also this explains some of the weird aspects of the circus tent push to 5000, like camera footage of forklifts hauling around half completed model 3s and just dropping them wherever. these cars were never meant to be sold

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Endless Mike posted:

when someone mentioned ca's lemon laws, i was seriously wondering if the people who've had their delivered are in states with weaker ones.
i see a fair number of model 3s here in the bay area but theyre probably owned by tesla employees

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Schadenboner posted:

But won't that absolutely gently caress their margins (or profit per unit, whatever it's called?) if the denominator fills up with unsalables?
there is such a thing as pushing your problems into the future. tesla needed a pr win NOW, and they got it - they can deal with the fallout later

plus elon still hopes to be cranking our 200k cars/year in the very near future; writing off a couple thousand duds becomes a rounding error in that scenario

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

just build the euthanasia coaster

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ars has a solid article up looking at how close tesla is to running out of cash

quote:

The company burned through more than $1 billion in the first quarter of 2018, ending the quarter with less than $2.7 billion in the bank. Tesla likely has even less than that today—we'll find out how much less when Tesla announces its second quarter financial results next week.

Adding to the pressure is Tesla's massive debt. Tesla has more than $10 billion in total debt, and more than $1 billion of that could come due in the next eight months.

In recent months, Tesla has taken a series of measures to shore up its financial position. Tesla laid off about nine percent of its workforce last month in a major cost-cutting step. Tesla also opened up Model 3 orders to everyone in the US and Canada. Placing an order requires a $2,500 deposit, which will give the company an additional cash infusion.

Then this week, The Wall Street Journal reported that Tesla was pressuring suppliers for more favorable financial terms—including, in at least one case, partial retroactive refunds of past payments. According to the Journal, a memo to one supplier "described the request as essential to Tesla’s continued operation." Asked about this, a Tesla spokesperson told Ars that the company has "asked fewer than 10 suppliers for a reduction in total capex project spending for long-term projects that began in 2016 but are still not complete." Tesla says that with other suppliers, it has only asked for lower prices for future orders.

The most important thing that will—hopefully—reduce Tesla's cash burn rate is achieving volume production of its Model 3 vehicles. Work on the Model 3 assembly line should be winding down—reducing capital spending—while increased production of Model 3 cars should mean more money coming in from customers.
puts a bunch of recent tesla/musk moves into context, read the whole thing

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/0...unch-explained/

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

its use was extensively demonstrated in the 1980s documentary Lethal Weapon 2

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

ready player one is "what if The Last Starfighter, but all of pop culture instead of just one video game"

armada is "what if The Last Starfighter"

like, that's it, it's just a 1:1 ripoff of that movie
i think i read that theres a point in the novel where even the characters comment on how similar their situation is to the last starfighter

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Richard Scarry Busy World
hell yes

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I saw this a while back which was even more ‘worm driving an apple-car’

lowly worm ftw

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rex-Goliath posted:

then decided it’d be a good idea to get extremely online on acid

writers for silicon valley are probably furious at having to scrap so much material they had ready for next season
the writers for silicon valley have either the hardest or the easiest jobs in showbiz

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

karms posted:

Tech jesus turns out to be a druggie sex weird??????
just like the actual jesus

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

the hellworld timeline we are all inescapably trapped in occasionally pays off

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

1. musk tries to get a 3-way with a trashy platinum blonde from a former european colony known for widespread racism
2. drat grimes, u mean "azalea rapper chick" wasn't specific enough??
3. ghost the black lady
this is the most ockhams razor compliant explanation, amazingly enough

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

fart simpson posted:

it’s amazing how bad i don’t feel for elong musk and his tough year

https://twitter.com/tbogg/status/1030990808571236352

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

what was the movie that was like all these people are on coke and beating off 24/7

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ADINSX posted:

Do auto companies try and weight those numbers with the complexity of the car's design? 14% is awful no matter how you look at it, but considering that one of the strengths of electric cars and all that minimalist "software does everything" crap is that they're supposed to have LESS parts right, so in theory they should be easier to assemble?
thats what makes tesla so funny: electric cars should be much easier to manufacture than internal combustion cars, and tesla should have a big comparative advantage in manufacturing compared to the old incumbents - but musk has pissed that all away with his overcomplex designs and inability to configure an assembly line

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

wanna read thos tips

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

lol forever at a middle aged man "getting super into weed" and thinking that 420 is just the funniest poo poo ever

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

If you're really operating at a high level, you then put your buddy on the board of your foundation and he puts you on the board of his and you donate to each other and disburse your own money where you like while being insulated from accusations of impropriety
dont forget the part where you pay each other big salaries for sitting in each others boards (and doing 4 hours of work/year)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

more like jenkem pipeline

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

https://twitter.com/rajmathai/statu...796272476868609

e:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

i hope that when this thread is read in court we get a firm legal ruling on the pronunciation of YOSPOS
its pronounced "yospos" op

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

atomicthumbs posted:

twitter recompressed my amberpos consolas into a jpg, degrading it
lol at the implication that anything could be done to an amberposer that could further degrade them

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Beast of Bourbon posted:

hi guys, first time poster, i saw this thread on twitter.

i currently drive a ferrari f430 but i wanted something with a little more curb appeal and power, should i get the tesla model 3 or model s?
model x all the way, dude

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rex-Goliath posted:

The Prince of Pennsylvania was filmed in Pittsburgh
they used a lot of greenscreen effects to make pittsburgh look like a real city

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hobbesmaster posted:

its twitter for corncobs
aka "twitter"

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

flipmode is the greatest tho

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

i don't know what flipmode is.
you only need to know one thing about flipmode, and its covered here on this page

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trig Discipline posted:

flipmode squad was busta rhymes' whole crew and the name of his label
they were also - and i really cant emphasize this point this point strongly enough - the greatest

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Xenoscaping on the other-hand is
xeriscaping

xenoscaping is the opposite - filling your lawn and garden with invasive non native species

or maybe covering your lawn with glistening egg casings filled with acid-blooded facehuggers idk

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Shifty Pony posted:

Tesla could have largely owned the market but lol Elon.
yep

they had a multi-year head start that theyve almost entirely frittered away on falcon doors and child surprise sex submarines

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

lmao if you didn't grow up thinking everyone was lying to you about everything all the time.

trust no 1
in fact, op, im lying to you now

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

infernal machines posted:

IIRC the ~reasons~ were they sucked and the batteries sucked and they didn't want responsibility for maintaining parts and service for a few lovely cars almost no one used and also they were leased so they could do that
iirc the ev-1 used lead-acid batteries and its purpose was to meet the statutory requirement of the state of california that the carmakers show progress towards developing zero-emission vehicles

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Schadenboner posted:

Wish ur post history were zero-emissions.
same but ur fathers balls

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

nice long guardian piece about teslas severe antiunion operations

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...union-elon-musk

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hailthefish posted:

It's so perfectly ~disruptive~ it hurts.

"psh we build cars, why should we pay someone else to deliver them when they can just deliver themselves!!! good thing I, big brain genius engineer elon musk am so smart to think of this completely flawless idea that those idiots at the OLD INDUSTRY car companies never would have thought of!! so what that the technology can't do that who cares we'll cross that bridge when we get to it now rip out those stupid railroads those union pacific trains are too yellow and I bit my tongue going over railroad tracks too fast when I was 4"
ol musky's roadmap probably had the cars driving themselves to customers houses for delivery by now (18q4 by the latest)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

hailthefish posted:

elon "elon musk" musk, like the rest of his loving SV ilk, doesn't believe in things like 'expertise', just inherent intelligence which can somehow be flawlessly, instantly brought to bear equally on any subject with immediate guaranteed success, and since he thinks he's always the smartest guy in the room, gently caress what any 'experts' might think
theres a term for that kind of thinking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%BChrerprinzip

«2 »