Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

flipmode is the greatest

flipmode is the squiddod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I mean that is literally what Tesla's marketing materials say, if I recall correctly. Something along the lines of "by purchasing full self-driving capability your car comes with all the hardware that is needed and will receive it in a future software update"

I had an acquaintance who is a mega tesla stan who told me in 2015 that we'd have FULL SELF-DRIVING cars on the road two years from then. I told him it would be 20 years at the earliest and that Elon was talking out his rear end. He got very huffy and I haven't talked to him since.

I wonder how he's doing now

If you still enjoy their company, that the best way to resolve this stuff is by betting, with a handshake and hard language to what wins and loses

I am going to win a bet on apple watch like devices being ubiquitous about 5 months from now and I will RELISH THAT TWENTY BUCKS

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

flakeloaf posted:

someone's taking you to a garbage dump, yelling "these useless things are everywhere" and that savvy bum is leaving with your :10bux::10bux:

we had a different agreement on ubiquitous, in terms of a poll of people we know across the spectrum of jobs and income, having one

smartphones: ok
apple or otherwise smart watches: lol

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

MononcQc posted:

It is a big band-aid, but I'd probably say it's better than no band-aid at all. The more the powergrid turns renewable, the more interesting they become, but obviously people's habits will need to change as well. It's just that it's much easier for a state to add renewable capacity than it is to reshape suburbs and car culture in a day, and whatever ends up buying time might be good and useful in the long run. Similarly, cities that run composting (rather than asking everyone to do it individually) can massively reduce the amount of methane that comes from anaerobic decomposition, and it usually takes only a few years to set up, and if done with collaboration from rural areas, could reduce the quantities of phosphate required for agriculture.

I guess one of the good signs I see is that a lot of people I talk to who are below Gen X are starting to get real nervous and stressed, and that's like one very good step needed for a set of collective actions that start having noticeable impacts. Just the impact of lowering beef consumption would be huge on deforestation and overall carbon sequestering ability, and I'm kind of trusting that younger folks will be able to make that adjustment more maturely than the X-ers and boomers who'd rather flood half the world than drop the steak they eat 4-5 times a week.

Also there's a recession coming, and 2008 saw the biggest drop in CO2 production due to drops in consumption, so uh, maybe that can be some silver lining.

Musk is still a narcissist with everything terrible, but yeah. I guess the worst thing to do is give up and change nothing.

this post was revelatory and i am also going to do the same (i already walk everywhere and eat veg for 80% of my meals, but i do not have a positive attitude, which this is more about)

after i finish this bender i am on, due to these causes, naturally

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, Utah is home to like three things: Mormonism, Multi-Level Marketing, and (some clever name for bullshit vitamins starting with "M").

:shrug:

Malk

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, Spiral Jetty is p.deece?

:shrug:

the dude who did that bit off a guy who is, by many accounts, way more into the "humanity as funeral pyre" thing

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/08/29/michael-heizers-city is a great piece about it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

what thread is this? i thought it was the beer thread

tech bubble?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

PIZZA.BAT posted:

feels good that we're finally having our moment. this ongoing thread + the old tech bubble thread years before it where we were just waiting for that idiot carnival barker to finally overstep. we're finally here

i never really cared for billionaires but i would like to thank this forum for constantly exposing me to how big a schmuck he is over the last decade+, its been great in other conversations when i'm like really anti and people are surprised cause nerds line up to eat his rear end

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

should probably separate a thread for cohosts

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

he would absolutely have done a bunch of stupid poo poo, but i think the market has accelerated his pace yeah

imo we itt are early laffo investors finally cashing out

i have been on the "this guy is a schmuck" train for a long time and was glad to find fellow passengers in the pos

and to be proven right in the most public and hilarious way: by flushing 44 billion dollars down a very large toilet

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i think he does pay people to reply to him, or like has some rich cronie pay people to reply to him

maybe i'm extracting signal from noise but there's like way too much incidence of these schmucks dogpiling on something that upset ol musky

or like there's a right wing discord/irc/forum that people voluntarily join to figure out who to harass on a single day

it can be organic obv but the sameness of it all makes it weird

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

i don't think about my phone's "operating system", whatever that is

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

if someone theoretically posted a curl that looked up elon's jet in the public database would that be against the rules

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ive finally caught up on this thread and all i gotta say is
- driving sucks
- lmao

thanks for the updates everyone

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

infernal machines posted:

i have aja on hand because aja rules

you should test your speakers with your favorite album or whatever though, i typically listen to house/disco

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

gschmidl posted:

Plus yt-dlp, its successor, will also honor the Sponsorblock database and cut ads and stuff out of the download automatically (and a ton of other neat things).

ah good i just realized my version of old youtube-dl was way out of date and found out it got abandoned, thanks for telling me the new one

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

disco is a net good for humanity please do not compare it to twitter tyvm

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

also first mp3 was lenny kravitz fly away

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the fees (not incl tip) for online ordering are wild i call for nearly everything now and tip cash

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

where are these restaurants you're finding that are still willing to answer the phone, let alone deliver without farming the work to door dash anyway

like all of them, whoevers at the register? where DONT they answer the phone?

i know google and other sites provide a separate number but like a paper menu will still get you them directly

and we order maybe once or twice a week from spots we have been very loyal customers for a long time, get the same delivery people mostly

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Feb 8, 2023

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

before all this twitter was and is a pretty significant social media site in the us and japan yeah, no reason to see that it'd go away besides it never really making money

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

so maybe softbank acquires them and just leaves the oauth going

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

univbee posted:

Because of the weird way Japan works business-wise, it's pretty common for western companies that branch out there to wind up forming this entity that's kind of self-sufficient and a standalone company in its own right, that can often be shielded from things like the original company becoming irrelevant in the western world. At least a few years ago I think GeoCities and CompuServe were still operating in Japan as their Japan-only variant.

yeah 7-11 japan was so successful that they now own 7-11 US

lawson, circle K also in a similar spot

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

why solve homelessness and lack of food in a couple countries when you can solve it on an entire planet like mars? checkmate, liberal

this is a great way to frame this and imma use it moving forward if it comes up

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

from many pages back but excellent post

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

he loves engagement so much he got divorced 3 times

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

quiggy posted:

my son is also named haraldur

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i want elmo to suffer more than i think anything that'd reasonably stick to him

over time, much like trump threads pre election, this gets sad

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

credit where credit is due. Good on you for honoring the toxx and paying your :10bux:

this thread has made more profit than twitter has since the musk takeover

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

Community Manager is a legit job, but the things that reddit mods do and the things that professional CMs do have barely the faintest sliver of overlap.

whats the difference, you end up banning trolls and incendiary people and setting guidelines/codes of conduct

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

FAUXTON posted:

The car bomb from Mafia! but he ends up just looking like elon musk

the one in the godfather isnt too egregious but the dummy has a slightly different position and lighting so its noticable enough

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

rotor posted:

i cant believe hackers can turn my car into a bomb

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

qirex posted:

it will be hilarious if all the right wing spam grifters are the first ones replaced by chatbots

i thought they already were

like there seriously cant be that many people who are like "but actually the wokeness will destroy you" all day

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

When I was a kid I asked my dad where disco music was from and he said Greece.

This made some sort of sense to me, since disco music always seemed to involve swarthy bearded men wearing lots of gold chains, and flamboyant dancing in clubs seemed like a generally European thing to do. For decades I believed that disco music was a Greek cultural export and didn't think twice about it.

Sometime in my late twenties I suddenly realized that what he had actually said was Grease, confusing that John Travolta movie with Saturday Night Fever.

one of the bee gees was involved with the opening theme, its disco-y and a good one to slip into your mixes

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Cold on a Cob posted:

seriously it looks like they've got a bad rash they don't want to aggravate lol

or like theyre trying not to poop

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

the MTA has their own app, they don't need to depend on the benevolence of capitalism

odds are more people who live/work in nyc use twitter than the mtas app

i have a bookmark on my homescreen for their site, but that doesnt give alerts

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

fourty four billion dollars

gone, just like that

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ok not exactly gone as twitters other owners got paaaaaiid but you know what i mean

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

is it car chat time again so soon

the man owns a car company so yes

ive never had a new car and generally besides cars i buy everything new

i am roughly 17 years without a car at this point, still have a license tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

rotor posted:

its offtopic but at some point people are gonna have to start taking internet addiction seriously

2 generations of americans have this, extremely hard

its something that gets treated as endemic to live with, sadly, like covid