Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Nfcknblvbl posted:

EVs can "idle" for a very long time, a 100 kw battery has enough energy for an american family home for like 3 days.

yeah but that home doesn't need to shoot up to 60mph while carrying a couple fat guys and all their guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

George posted:

hey some people want to be this aggro but i just want trains and buses in urban areas that run so consistently and have such good routes that unless you're moving a piano you'd be a dumbshit to do anything else

rural areas can preserve their way of life or whatever ive never hosed a pickup truck but im sure its fulfilling im just saying that for moving people around a city its harder to come up with a more destructive and inefficient method than cars but elon will keep doing it anyway

but what if i can just buy something that promises to alleviate my guilt about climate change

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Mean streets: Self-driving cars will "cruise" to avoid paying to park

not factored into his calculations: cost of auto body repairs when your car drives past the fire station and has a twitch

lmao i'd love to see an urban planner figure out how many trips such a thing would generate for traffic forecasting

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Low-Pass Filter posted:

We've played with Terrastar subscriptions and can get about 20cm with motion with a single receiver and L1/L2. RTK gps can easily get under 10cm with person level movement; this is how surveyors lay out roads and stuff accurately. Still need somewhat expensive L1/L2/L5 antennas tho.

what if you're moving next to a tall building or underneath some trees how much does that affect the accuracy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Low-Pass Filter posted:

Well, the RTK base station does stay in one place and has to converge for like 20-30 minutes. Then the rover (i.e. surveyor guy with rod) can move around p much all he wants. If you're trying to locate, say, all the points on a foundation, or locate a water boundary, you're going to collect a lot of points, and you're not going to occupy them for very long.

If you're close enough to a COORS station, and are able to log raw carrier phase info, you can post process and get sub meter accuracy, but thats, uh, not very useful for a car.

The equipment for this is like 10-20k tho.

also surveyors are typically looking for elevation, not just horizontal data, which by how the system works requires more accuracy, so if you only care about your lat/long or northing/easting you can do it faster

though the last time i had to go out and shoot points the station was running some kinda lovely windows xp mobile version that i spent more time wrestling with than it actually took to just calc each point

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
lol that guy has a whoooole lotta libertarian poo poo in his feed and hillary clinton conspiracy stuff

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
it looks like a color-changing hotwheel partially submerged in cold or hot water

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Last Chance posted:

plus it feels good and is perfectly legal

it's such an adrenaline rush

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
what kind of monster doesn't love the ocean

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

"take that, al gore!"

i wonder if he's still friendly with joe lieberman

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
here's a thing about electric vehicles

The disconnect became even more apparent as the meeting progressed and transportation people (CTC) didn’t seem to grasp why the air quality people (CARB) were focusing so heavily on recommendations to reduce vehicle miles traveled (VMT).

At one point, CTC Commissioner Paul Van Konynenburg appeared perplexed by the testimony of Joe Jordan, who had driven a solar-charged electric vehicle to Sacramento from Santa Cruz, picking up meeting attendees along the way.

“We heard a lot of talk today about making a big push to reduce VMT,” said Van Konynenburg. “So if everyone…had a zero-emission vehicle, give me the breakdown of how that wouldn’t…help us meet our greenhouse gas goals?”

“There is a persistent belief, among both state officials and the public, that clean cars and clean fuels alone can achieve California’s climate goals, but this is fundamentally untrue,” he says. “Even if we have 100 percent zero-emission vehicles and 75 percent renewable energy production by 2050—both ambitious goals—we still need a 15 percent reduction of VMT beyond what current regional plans project to achieve.”

Plus EVs are not a public health panacea. “EVs don’t relieve congestion, and the dust from brakes and tires are a major source of particulate matter air pollution, which causes respiratory illness,” says Bryn Lindblad, associate director of Climate Resolve. “That last fact doesn’t really seem to be on people’s radar as they look to EVs to be the solution.”

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
they're way too loud tho

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

President Beep posted:

yeah but loud pipes save lives, hp!

how could i forget

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nfcknblvbl posted:

also i almost never use my brakes when i'm driving my ev

yeah what do those agencies studying this stuff even know about it, i only use my brakes in traffic and at red lights

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
we shouldn't be dedicating the vast vast majority of our infrastructure to personal vehicles period

that mode of transportation will always always lose to trains and it's not even close

i hope personal vehicles become as stigmatized as smoking

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

it's true no fat person has been cool since chris farley

chris farley was a republican, just like elong musk

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
good point, you do hafta be insanely cool and dumb to do speedballs

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

kinda surprising that the fire didn't melt through that ice and sink the wreck

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Never doubt the thermal mass of ice in contact with cold, moving water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Imgwy-UrV8A

Several kilos of thermite barely melting the top couple of centimeters of ice on a lake. While Li-ion batteries have a lot of energy stored up I doubt it exceeds that reaction.

that's really cool, thx

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
is ice the one where the rain freezes outside somehow

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

also yeah $13-20k is a real steep price for what you currently get, though it's getting better. i think that the magic number is under $10k for 150-mile range and 1-hour charging

as they become cheaper and cheaper it's fun to think about how much harley that's gonna buy

Main Paineframe posted:

does anyone actually use motorcycles for urban commuting? sounds absolutely miserable

childless bachelors, sure

though i'm sure ferrying children around is an "edge case" globally

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

i would put money down that more children worldwide ride on the back of motorcycles than in the back of cars.

personal cars, sure

but not public transit

"why doesn't everyone just ride scooters everywhere" kinda glaringly ignores this, is all

which is the same problem that "why doesn't everyone just drive autonomous EVs" ignores, incidentally

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

fart simpson posted:

well fishmech doesn’t know any leftists and the only people he knows that say that are nazis

someone in cspam was bitching about *~their discord~* and mentioned how fishmech constantly calls bernie sanders racist on there lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
for a moment i thought he was being self aware here

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1103221573127827456

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
agreed, offsites are trash

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i wonder if there's any way to get an explanation or basis for why that az sherrif's office determined there's no criminal liability for the ped they slaughtered. very clearly the software was inadequate. what chain of reasoning would lead you to their conclusion and why wouldn't it be open to examination?

it was a homeless person, op

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

as we have discussed several times the one and only reason to do over the road trucking is ease of pickup and delivery

an automated system that can’t navigate complex docking situations or handle lift gates at either end is just a really bad and expensive train.

it’s comceivable that truckers would buy such a system to make life on the road easier but it will not reduce the cost of freight one dollar

my whistleblower friend says that their motivation is entirely about safety

but yeah in practice i'd imagine that such a """"highway safe"""" system would simply be used to drive down wages while still requiring a (vigilant) driver in the cab

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

El_Elegante posted:

I would never block amethyst

well then you're a rare creature indeed

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy posted:

lol fishmech's alt outranks fishmech

tbf i'm p sure that's because zdr forced him off of everyone's ignore lists when he made him ik

which should deffo happen again

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

agreed, but only in d&d

hell yeah lol

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
doesn't arizona do something nuts like 50 year expirations for their licenses

you can also go bring a gun into a bar there and legally get drunk, their government's really embraced that wild west nonsense haven't they

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
that's right speed differentials are what kill but his grandma was sweet talkin her way out of a speeding ticket

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

frank lloyd wright drew up plans for a new az capitol building

gonna need some serious window glazing for all that sun

although it looks like it's open at the base, and if he's got an aperture or something in that feature up top then you'd be generating a continuous current of air like a big solar chimney which might've been his intention

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_chimney

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 8, 2019

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yeah the really dangerous thing for deaf drivers is being murdered by the police for not following instructions

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

TK-42-1 posted:

does she close one eye and say 'enhance' and switch eyes repeatedly?

whilst staring at his dilz

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FMguru posted:

it is open at the base, someone built a model from his sketches and blueprints

architectural models are so rad and was like half the reason i almost did a grad program for it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Endless Mike posted:

they could have built a giant cock n balls like the florida capitol building

louisiana's is the biggest so ofc it had to be the cock+balls design

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

let me guess, there isn't another building above four stories in the entire city

it's the tallest building there by a little bit but that probably has more to do with baton rouge's economic situation than any overt ordinance

but what they did do was, about 20 years after it was built when the interstate was coming through, lobbied the feds to dogleg the proposed layout of i-110 so that there's a nice picturesque dead-on approach toward the capitol building coming from the airport, which was also booming with commercial service lines after being recently converted from a military installation

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ADINSX posted:

can confirm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
how is the sec violating his free speech when it was part of an agreement with the court he voluntarily entered into to avoid having his hole wrecked