Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

no panel gaps

within spec

I think these door seals are good

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Muskshake Duck?

or

Milkshake Musk?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hobbesmaster posted:

thats a liquid fueled first stage, how in the world are you going to "cheaply" supply a single engine the size of the first stage of a saturn v?!

disruptive technological synergy hyperfocused on lean engineering for elegant solutions

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Qwijib0 posted:

at this point shouldn't all the drama be baked into the price by now?

Who's the investor that sees this and is "ok, now's the time to get out, this musk fella I don't know" :lol:

The dumbass who knew 5 weeks ago and was waiting for the big drop to start because messing with stocks like Tesla is fuckin' gambling for gamblers

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

iospace posted:

The stock market reflects one thing and one thing only: a company's ability to pay dividends. Nothing more, nothing less. AT&T has taken out loans to be able to pay dividends, otherwise its stock would crater (despite being profitable as a company), because a company's public perception lives and dies on the stock market because...

You loving guessed it!

:capitalism:

Amazon's stock is almost $2k a share and they've never paid a dividend

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

iospace posted:

Amazon is also the company that treats its workers like utter poo poo, and investors are hoping that it becomes the norm so more money ultimately flows to them. See also: Uber. There's other reasons why stock does well, but that's the main reason that I mentioned.

Also, reminder that investors freaked the gently caress out when Delta decided, mid-contract, to give its pilots and flight attendants raises. One even said "Labor gets paid while the investors get scraps."

which is how it should be, fuckface.

Amazon treats its workers worse than poo poo because usually poo poo gets buried.

Do you think Amazon would even notice a worker dropping dead in one of their oven warehouses?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Baxate posted:

I was looking at nhtsas site to see what cars don’t have 5 star ratings and all I could find was like the Ford Fiesta which is 4 stars but is also like 2 sizes down from the model 3

the Honda Fit gets 5 stars tho :shrug:
so congrats to elong.

Confirming the fit being crazy safe in a crash

I drove it home after being spun around in the intersection because the other guy came flying in at 40ish, slammed on his brakes and tried swerving to the right, hitting my door at an angle and stopping at the pillar between the doors, spinning my car almost 180°

Side airbags deployed just fine and I got away with a slight red spot where the airbag slapped my arm. It went away by the end of the day.

Thing was a 2012 and it totalled out at almost $10k.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 21, 2018

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

nice but does it have room for a 6 foot tall fat man

the impreza does not if that helps

Yeah it does, drove my dad around in it when he visited

Hell I'm 6'4" and had no problems with head/legroom

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Tired: accelerating into a firetruck
Wired: accelerating into a firesale
Tesla: accelerating into a fire

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

on the other hand if the steering wheel airbag deployed it might have exploded the casing into my face like a takata brand claymore mine

I had emailed the dealership that morning to get the recall repair done :shrug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

1g of water by weight is 1ml by volume though

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Powershift posted:

At what temperature though

AT WHAT TEMPERATURE!?!?!?!?!?!

room idk

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

President Beep posted:

you have to know where the beans came from and then heat/cool the correct amount of water to the median daytime high temperature during the last third of the growing season.

come on.

You also have to heat up the mug you're going to drink it from in the same manner

Coffee is cool and good but it gets just as zany as audiophile stuff past a certain point

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

five loads or six

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Achmed Jones posted:

the russians used their teeth

WHEN THE FIRST SOLDIER LOSES HIS TEETH THE SECOND SOLDIER PICKS UP THE STEAK

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Qwijib0 posted:

found this new explanation for the no-rail-at-the-factory

it's an angle I hadn't heard or thought of but if it's true is there some low level of trains where it's not worth running them? (also surely someone else would have unearthed the minutes from these local meetings with the number of twitter gumshoes)

Is there a level of trains so low it's worth ripping the tracks up too though

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Qwijib0 posted:

my instinct says no, but I really don't know-- if you knew you were probably only ever getting somewhere between 10-20 ever again, is that a low enough number you write off rail onsite?

Other things I know nothing about : those spurs looked pretty short, do rail movements count toward "number of trains"?

If I had to guess the NIMBY stuff is related to oil trains rolling through en route to the port and not trains in general going through the area

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

abigserve posted:

lol I missed have missed this being linked before: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOPYpD1Knpw

a video of a tesla driving on an exceedingly well marked country road with basically no other traffic manages to almost lose traction several times and culminates in a beeping warning as it literally goes into the gravel on the side of the road for a second

how is this allowed to exist, seriously

hjaallo, I am Elon Musk and I am geeven whine theesand nee epple lipteps tee ye looocol heigh school

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's like the apple marketing tactic of taking an existing technology and hamming it up as though it was something magic.

https://youtu.be/iKWBdySgssE

Six and a half god drat years ago.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

*picture of fire truck*

GARAGE
ONRAMP
TARGET

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FAUXTON posted:

Tesla ownership is self ownership

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ADINSX posted:

to thy own self stay owned

believe me these people couldn't keep to themselves if they were dead

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Jabor posted:

Apparently, after spending tens of thousands of dollars on a new vehicle, he hasn't received anything at all that would prove he actually owns it.

he only proved he owns himself

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skim Milk posted:

don’t sign

Why not it isn't like a Tesla can read it anyway

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Someone link the complaint I need to read it

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oh my god they quote his tweets lmao

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Azealea was not making any of that poo poo up

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

$420 is funny but even funnier to me is the head of investor relations being literally hung out to dry

they didn't now poo poo.

Even better is that they didn't know poo poo and let it be known in a way that most obviously points out that Musk runs that loving place like a 18th century germanic princeling and they exercise absolutely no oversight on his actions but grant him total authority and refer to him as the spokesperson of the company.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Whoops

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sniep posted:

in a last stab from near the grave, Radio Shack buy's Tesla and implements a new offer where buy a tesla and get a matching android cell phone case free

By matching you mean it doesn't fit properly

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sagebrush posted:

like there's i think a major misunderstanding that people have about just how many resources they consume, and what sort of infrastructure there is behind the scenes to handle that. they just don't have a concept of how big a farm is and how much land worldwide is devoted to food production

example: a student wants to build the

that goes in the corner of your apartment. and i ask them: what is the benefit of this over a window box? and they say oh, families can use it to supplement their meals with vegetables, or whatever. and i raise an eyebrow and ask them to do some math on how much space a hypothetical food crop (let's say tomatoes) needs, and how quickly it grows, and how much food a family consumes per week, and come back with an analysis of just how big an offset this would make.

another recent example: guy who wants to make a machine that takes your food waste and composts it into methane which is fed back into your house's gas system, thus turning food scraps into energy savings. even setting aside the infrastructure problems with plumbing and code and such, i just have a really bad feeling about how much natural gas your e.g. water heater or stove uses compared to how much you can get from one family's decaying food scraps

or solar panels. loving everybody has this idea that you can just stick a solar cell on your $product and never worry about batteries again. two minutes of math shows how it doesn't work but everyone goes "oh, but like, even if you let it charge all day?" and i'm like yes look your thing draws two orders of magnitude more power than you can produce

Now you know how I feel as a bank investigator watching bitcoiners slam headlong into problems banking solved like a thousand years ago.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shifty Pony posted:

heartily amused?

p much "let's see how you disrupt your fat rear end into reinventing the internal transfer"

"excuse me well actually have you heard of lightning and sidechains"

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I spent the weekend in Denver and the dry air made my sinuses seize up like a Tesla at 20k miles probably will

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

lancemantis posted:

I wonder how much of the suspension failures could also be attributed to the fact that Teslas are incredibly heavy cars and likely the components were designed for a car 1000 lbs lighter

Oh right doesn't the model s weigh almost 5000 lbs

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

infernal machines posted:

yes.

they all weigh as much as a small truck

Batteries are heavy as poo poo it seems

The bolt weighs just over 3500 lbs

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

President Beep posted:

seriously. wtf is up with that?

Who among us hasn't backed a starship into a docking structure

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

making less vehicles yes, but also with over 7 times the employees per vehicle made per year

lol this poo poo reminds me of the classic example of Problems In Nazi Military Procurement, the Tiger tank.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Like that tweet/mindset doesn't even make sense unless you believe you can get something for noth-

Oh I get it now. Elon.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mystes posted:

Probably people are only using Autopilot on highways in good weather conditions.

My Honda's adaptive cruise control and lanekeeping system was rad as hell and never once tried crashing me into a firetruck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Luigi Thirty posted:

I convinced my dad to invest $400 in apple when I was 12

now I have $10,000

I convinced my father to look into purchasing foreclosure properties and reselling them to their foreclosed owners at a profit but with fairer terms than the bank gave them

I'm gonna inherit a few million