Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

ADINSX posted:

So he's secured ~74 billion dollars privately?
the saudis bought 5% of tsla earlier this year, if it's coming from anywhere it's from them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

todays is even better

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-08-09/musk-s-money-mystery-intrigues-sec

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

yeah he doesn't have poo poo

https://twitter.com/matt_levine/status/1027994229904162816

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

PleasureKevin posted:

He has bought at least $27 million in mansions. I’m not entirely sure, but he probably got mortgages for them. Most of his wealth is in stock, and if he sold all that now, it’s gonna look like insider trading (bumping his stock then selling). So he’s going to be removed as CEO, fined by the SEC, and either be unable to sell his shares or they’re not going to be worth much. So he’ll be selling those properties. If that should happen to coincide with a housing market downturn, it would just make it comically worse.

But since this is capitalism where the wealthy never really get what they deserve, Musk will probably raise enough money to start another company and continue failing upwards.

musk has used half of his tsla stock to secure loans

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

xealous: as a heads up, someone's stuck all your posts on twitter and they're getting attention. hope you're serious about that NDA expiry.

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1032939617404645376

atomicthumbs: idk why you cropped out the username, this forum is open to the internet and the moment google indexes the last few pages an exact-text-search will get you here. not that it really matters cause there's enough content in the posts to ID xealous to tesla anyway

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 24, 2018

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

yospos required an account to read last time i shared a link with someone :shrug:

open this page in incognito

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

i don’t think it’s possible for them to recover at this point their debt is going to kill them.
itd be really easy for them to recover by issuing equity and that's abs what anyone except musk would be doing right now

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

infernal machines posted:

what exactly is the value of equity in a business that has never turned a profit?

like, they were valued higher than ford at some point, but not only can they not manufacture vehicles profitably, they just plain can't manufacture vehicles.

why would you want to own a pile of technical debt and recalls waiting to happen?
in simple terms, the share price is the present value of all expected future dividends. tsla has a ridic share price for their revenues/profits because while there's a big chance of tsla going bankrupt, many people also think there's a chance of tsla dominating the entire electric car market, a la ford a hundred years ago

like google for 'tesla dcf model' if you want to see the maths. i dont agree with it, but it's not particularly weird in and of itself - lots of other 'growth' companies have gotten similar optimism in the past. some of the them worked out, some of them didnt

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

be warned that there's usually a lot of fudging in dcf models, since it's embarrassing to come out with a modelled share price that's an order of magnitude out from the actual share price. models for companies like tesla where all the value comes from the distant future are especially sensitive to the growth rate you choose

e: as one example, this 2017 seeking alpha forecast i pulled from the first page of google uses 70% growth for the next five years and still comes in $150 too low

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Sep 2, 2018

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

infernal machines posted:

broadly i get it, i'm just saying unbridled optimism despite a lack of evidence is one thing, unbridled optimism in the face of directly contradictory evidence is just stupidity.
devil's advocate: amazon in the 2000s. losing money hand over fist, neck deep in debt, everyone convinced walmart is going to turn round and eat their lunch

in the extreme, you could write tesla's market cap as 75% bankruptcy, 25% toyota v2.0.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 2, 2018

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

over 60 senators now represent less than half the country and in a very short time a supermajority of the senate will represent less than 40% of the population. the usa is doomed. the constitution needs to be completely redone and federalism needs to be thrown in the trash.

this is not new

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.b6b5bc3559b2

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/nhparks/status/1038807482821476352

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

god imagine how much money they could have made with absolutely no NTSB intrusion or regulatory bullshit or megafactories if they would have just taken the roadster idea and extended it. sell rich dudes an EV drivetrain for $50,000 for their brand new S class, take the engine+trans as part of the deal, sell 0 mile ICE drivetrains for another $10k pure profit, no crash tests, no body work, no assembly lines, huge cachet and demand that they could puppet around as much as they wanted. basically as Alpina is to BMW but with electric drivetrains

lol

but no he wanted to be a Whole Car Company

that doesnt sound like $1.6tn company to me

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

iospace posted:

Amazon is also the company that treats its workers like utter poo poo, and investors are hoping that it becomes the norm so more money ultimately flows to them. See also: Uber. There's other reasons why stock does well, but that's the main reason that I mentioned.

Also, reminder that investors freaked the gently caress out when Delta decided, mid-contract, to give its pilots and flight attendants raises. One even said "Labor gets paid while the investors get scraps."
i am coming to think of getting angry at individual companies for this stuff as daft because it goes on absolutely everywhere. decided it's more productive to get angry at my representatives for having laws that allow it

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

surprised musk is keen to be questioned under oath about tesla's finances

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

eschaton posted:

as the bougie gently caress that I am, I’m starting to look at maybe getting a new car, and I’d like an electric

the Audi e-tron quattro just became available: base price $75K (sans electric vehicle incentives), 95KWh battery, two-motor 4wd, and designed by an actual luxury carmaker

the only thing I don’t like is that it’s only available in SUV form slightly larger than the Q5, I’d prefer another sedan to replace my A6, or ideally an electric allroad wagon

as far as costs go,

http://carboncounter.com/

shows lifetime average CO2, inc production. there are a lot of params under 'customization'

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 20, 2018