Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ol qwerty bastard posted:

although iirc he initially wanted the falcon heavy to have fuel crossfeed from the boosters to the central core but that got scrapped which almost certainly means there was at some point a very serious meeting where his top engineers sat him down and told him that he can't just promise to include things from kerbal space program

just add struts until it works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
asparagus staging could probably be done irl but there are more important problems to fix first.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
macs in the 90s were somehow even worse than current macs. I know its hard to imagine something that awful but its true.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I am excite for all the lawyer emails inbound 2 lowtax.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

abraham linksys posted:

this is the most viral 219.css has ever been but i'm mostly mad the tweeter used the inferior amberpos

orange yospos is for scrubs and he has bad font rendering too.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Triglav posted:

yeah windows bad fonts

its definitely not windows rendering

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i hope that when this thread is read in court we get a firm legal ruling on the pronunciation of YOSPOS

yos and pos rhyme and the pos is as in post which is why yospost works. yawzpawz is the most incorrect pronunciation.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

OldAlias posted:

wow this is really eye opening https://bit.ly/IKirF4

this truly is incredible.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

FMguru posted:

lol at the implication that anything could be done to an amberposer that could further degrade them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
pls do not reveal the yospos secret.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if the problem is people keep walking in the way of the machines, the solution is prevent them from walking in the way of the machines. Part of your process design is controlling human effects. That means both keeping them out of the machinery by limiting their required movement and reducing or eliminating decision making on the part of the human. they go hand in hand too. like that car with the mismatched body panels. the process is probably "go find a panel and install it" and the worker has to walk across the line, find a part (with the option of picking the wrong one), and then walk back and install it. The correct process is "pick up the part from the staging area next to you and install it" where the part has been pre-chosen and delivered to the worker. they don't move from their station which improves both throughput and safety and they don't pick the part themselves which improves throughput and quality.

this is why you hire process engineers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I got the impression that the line was shut down because he was touring the floor and presumably walking into hazard zones (or they predicted he would)

that would be even more hilarious.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

they have a few unique technologies that put them ahead but they all trace their roots back to NASA projects and technology transfers, and a huge chunk of their money (something like 60% iirc) is literally just money NASA gives them. internally it's got a turbo-lovely toxic corporate culture according to people who used to work there. from what my dad's seen they do everything "correctly" (though they have their own dumb way of doing everything of course) and it sounds like it's a less dysfunctional tesla factory. however recently they stopped letting him eat at the employee restaurant for free so his opinion of the place has soured :v:

its amazing how all with all that toxic poo poo they're still way better than modern nasa

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bhodi posted:

the SSME refirb cost was essentially the same as building a new engine from scratch. It was the most finally tuned piece of equipment humanity has ever created and is likely the most efficient rocket motor that will ever exist, but reusable it was not

lmao @ the idea that reusing the SSME was due to anything other than grift. its a nobid contract to "save are jerbs" at poorly run contractor outfits. the shuttle was a fantastically lovely design and everyone who had anything to do with its approval or continued support should be shot into the sun.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

NASA is constrained by the fact that they have to do what Congress tells them to do, including kludging together a big rocket out of as many old Shuttle contractors as possible

yeah its almost like government is not the best way to handle this.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah. the government its really bad at a lot of stuff and the stuff they're the worst at also turns out the be the most expensive. weird coincidence.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

you'll note that the common thread in both cases is private enterprise

imagine, if you will, a government space program not beholden to the unholy grift machine that is the public-private partnership

lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
then the fight would be over which state gets the slow and bloated government run aerospace company.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
now its even more wasteful than ever since theres no reason to actually do anything.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"we don't need to actually build this rocket since we still get paid" - nasa, basically

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a ton of private entities got paid to build the LHC and its components

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

wrong! wrong wrong wrong!!:mad:!!!!

nope. without a profit motive theres no way you're going to get people to do work. the myth of the virtuous worker who works for the people is the most hilarious garbage ever.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

iospace posted:

You mean like how NASA spreads out it poo poo in the US too?

yeah. both create massive opportunity for profit in their private contracting. idk what ur trying to say here.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

lol please tell me how salaried employees are in any way influenced by the profit motive happening many, many layers above them. just go whole hog man.

if im a salaried government worker with no mandate to actually produce anything theres no way im gonna do any actual work. are you loving insane?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao you've never met a government worker in your life.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I only really deal with CMS so maybe my experiences are skewed by how bad they are

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

shaggar man your world outlook is extremely sad and its probably making your life actively worse to be that negative about everything

your blind faith in terrible organizations you've clearly never dealt with is embarrassing and prevents any kind of actual resolution to these problems.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

iospace posted:

Hmmm yes, an agency that has been gutted by decades of GOP wanting to shut it down, so they're starving the beast.

(Assuming you're talking about the Medicare/Medicaid office here)

incorrect. CMS funding is at all time highs. They're a poorly managed organization and the only thing they're really effective at is ensuring providers are overpaid.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

creationist believer posted:

i've met government and corporate workers who are working with a subject they are passionate about and would do for free (especially in scientific research fields). also i've met government and corporate workers who don't care about the subject of their job and are just running the clock and trying to do the least necessary to not get fired. maybe its not a government vs industry issue but a result of alienation of labor under a capitalist system?

Im sure people who have fun jobs might continue to do them for free if their other needs were taken care of, but that's the tiny minority of jobs. even then they're only gonna do it so long as it keeps their interest. nobody at CMS is getting all excited about claims adjudication. They do the job because they're paid to do it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

President Beep posted:

might that also have something to do with more service consumers as boomers get older though?

e: that’s not a rhetorical question btw.

partially. more so it has to do with things like Medicaid expansion and the overall increase in healthcare costs.

hobbesmaster posted:

whats cool is you can reduce the increase of a thing below inflation and claim that funding is at an all time high while still reducing its effective funding

sure, but in the case of CMS their increases in funding are far beyond inflation.

Jonah Galtberg posted:

psosibly because they ahve no ability to leverage their massive buying power and clientele to negotiate in bulk with providers and are required to pay more or less whatever the ******market rate****** is

not true (for the most part). CMS pays providers significantly less than private insurers. That said they could (and should) be paying even less for a lot of procedures. you may be thinking of medications, for which CMS is not allowed to negotiate pricing.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
CMS needs the ability to do long term planning for large structural change in the healthcare system, but they don't seem to have the internal drive to do so. idk how much of that is just incompetence and how much is shifting congressional mandates.

like yes in comes trump and they start looking at making changes to things like ACOs, but for years prior to that CMS had failed to really manage the program properly. Is CMS to blame for the poor management in the pretrump years or is trump to blame for not giving them more time to fix their issues? How long should they be allowed to fail before someone steps in?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Tylenol is otc so it wouldn't be part of medicare part d. if you're talking about the cost of administering drugs in an emergency setting then yes that's one of those procedural costs that medicare needs to start pushing back on.

a good place to start w/ costs in general would be to not allow providers to bill patients at all and only accept what insurance or cms will give them. That would get them off fee for service pretty quick

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

i wonder what would happen to prices if the medicare administration was allowed to say "hey u. mr pharmaphuck. i have these tens of millions of potential customers. if you want a piece of this pie your thousand percent profit margin is gonna have to come down to a marginal extent. otherwise i'll take my business elsewhere and you can watch your sales shrivel"

for prescription drugs it would be pretty huge but the current medicare part d prevents it from happening. a fun fact is part d was written largely by pharmacy companies which should not be a surprise to anyone, but what is kind of fun is one of the major pharmacy backers ended up not being able to compete with other pharmacies for the contracts.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

i would hope that any eventual "m4a" system would also expand the scope of coverage and subsidy provided

the problem with medicare for all is that it without any significant overhaul it would just be even more waste and even more unsustainable. we need to fix the cost problems first, then we can start discussing who pays for it.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

i'm not sure that medicare is as bloated as you say it is, and one of the most basic principles of any universal health care system is that they inherently bring costs down by reducing the power of medical companies and service providers to set whatever insane prices they want. getting most of the populace out of the fragmented private insurance system and consolidated into one government scheme would achieve pretty significant cost reductions on its own

yeah that's a fine theory but in practice its not really there. the us government has a history of poor purchasing practices and medicare is not much different. they don't really bother to deny claims anymore. An influx of new patients is going to overwhelm them and they'll just continue to pay whatever.

Switching to a capitated payment system should be a first step before adopting any kind of national healthcare plan. It prioritizes quality of care since providers are paid a flat fee with bonuses and penalties based on population health.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Marijuana posted:

the best place to start is a guillotine for everyone in the insurance industry

its amazing that there are people out there who still think insurance is the problem. lol.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonah Galtberg posted:

also getting people off private insurance is a good thing in and of itself, profit motives have no business being anywhere near healthcare (or anywhere (but especially there))

the primary profiteers in healthcare are providers and people need to stop perpetuating the myth that insurance drives up those costs.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmao this one's my personal favorite best most incorrect shaggar post of all and shows that you know literally nothing about nasa's workers or corporate culture

lol @ being so loving blind to reality that you think people in your magical post-scarcity society would ever willingly work when their needs are already met. given the choice to gently caress off and do nothing over being a janitor absolutely nobody is going to choose to be a janitor.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

gosh those nasa people just don't want to work, they must just go into work and do nothing all day, after all that's what I'd personally do if i had a government job!

they work because they get paid to work. if you paid them regardless of what work they did, they would not do any work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
regulatory capture has to be the most bullshit excuse for government ineffectiveness. "If it weren't for this pesky democracy the government would be free to regulate the Right Way™"