Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Captain Foo posted:

shaggar your posts suck nearly as much rear end as elon musk does

at least elon musk is funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

no. i rented one for the weekend. i daily drive an a6.

this explains a lot

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
i think kotex was more talking about the subframe tearing that is a problem on e46 cars in general. it's really not a problem unless you're tracking the car.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Combat Theory posted:

ahhh you mean these bad boys

Nr.2,4 in the picture

The "Tonnenlager" they are called. I bought Polyurethane ones for my E36 that i had. but the originals never wore out. i still have the assembly/disassembly tools laying around somewhere that i paid 70 DM for back in the old days.

a good call indeed, but its a necessary chassis complication to get into the required NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) Amplitudes without sacrificing wheel precision or feedback.

nope, the bushings are fine - it literally tears the chassis where the subframe attaches to the car.

its an issue with track driven or really aggressively street driven e46s of all kinds. there's a variety of fixes but the good ones reinforce the area of the floor where the subframe attaches and reroutes the energy to the unibody "frame rails" in a better manner.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Combat Theory posted:

Wow i stand corrected. thanks, i never heard about that. Ill ask some friends at BMW about it because i can imagine they did something about that on the M3

they didn't. the m3's have the issue as well. i believe there's a bmw reinforcement kit but the aftermarket ones are better including the "vince brace"

i'll stick with my e30s

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
i think the difference between the large manufacturers issues compared to teslas come down to the tesla issues being a lot more obvious and should have been noticed with any modicum of testing

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Combat Theory posted:

they have gotten so incredibly expensive the last few years. wish i got one when they were still cheap. i have an e34 with a 24V 2.5L that is basically factory new condition... that one has gotten quite valuable i tell you

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2809820&goto=lastpost join us. im planning my retirement on my 3.5 e30s.

i recently met the guy who did the teardown of the tesla, munro associates, and got invited to their facility to check out the disassembled tesla. really looking forward to it next time i'm in detroit.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

infernal machines posted:

imo ECU software is one of those fields where "software engineer" is actually a meaningful title and the usual laissez faire bullshit that's acceptable elsewhere will get people killed.

megasquirt is pretty common and vetted out for most platforms. it's just the tuning and set up for your specific engine you have to worry about.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

infernal machines posted:

if there's some kind of protection in place to prevent race conditions (lol) and detect bit-flips, etc. to the point that it will safely implement whatever custom code you're using on it, sure. i doubt that's the case though.

it's a car, not an airplane. if you're doing diy stuff to a car, which is extremely common, the lack of protection for bit flips is really the least of the problems.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
driving a manual transmission makes you more attentive to the road and your vehicle.

teslas encourage neither and thats one of the reasons why they suck!!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

fishmech posted:

not in a way that is useful to anyone. please stop janitoring your gears, modern transmissions know way better than you. Namaste

it's useful to me, myth: busted

sorry if your brain is too broken to change 5 potentially 6 gears, plus reverse!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this isn't borne out by anything and is just as arguable that it forces multitasking which is detrimental to the awareness of surroundings

however one of the things i've heard that they're looking into is that driving a stick reduces incidences of distracted driving, which does sound promising

makes sense to me that it's harder to text and drive when you need a hand on the shifter even if it's all muscle memory you're barely paying attention to

i wouldn't say driving manual transmission is multitasking, as it is something that you largely do via muscle memory. you don't really think about it unless you're first learning.

it is anecdotal but the ~5 people i've taught to drive manual all have told me after the fact that they are much more attentive to whats going on.

i can understand less distracted driving, but its not like its that hard to use a phone and drive a manual either.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
another thing to note is the trend of automotive manufacturers making it "easier" to drive and including all sorts of things to distract you from actually driving the car - like a web browser. insulate you further from the outside world and the act of driving and paying attention to your surroundings, which makes people worse drivers.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
right, you should only buy an e30 or two

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

PCjr sidecar posted:

the bmw x1 was a lifted e90 3 series for a while

that's how all of them are

the x5 is a lifted 5 series.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

President Beep posted:

lol if u don't just sit in the driveway and rev your car instead of going to work. christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yjlEeRCrCQ

get some rotation going instead of just revving, come on

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
my bmws were made in germany :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pa5_tudyAF8

interesting seeing this video and then seeing teslas getting built in a tent

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
to be fair i think only recently have they passed 100k i3's made.

but their panel gaps are a lot better

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Sagebrush posted:

bmw could make 500,000 i3s a year, all with those good panel gaps, if they felt like it.

and theyre carbon fiber bodies on aluminum frames, essentially. pretty impressive compared to a tesla.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Autistic German Car Fishmech is a helluva combo

i think he's just german

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Shame Boy posted:

eh i've got a pretty hard line when it comes to the military or defense companies and feel that helping them makes someone complicit in their crimes. i can kinda let it pass for people who enlist because it's literally their only option for a job and healthcare in a lot of the US, but if you're at the level of making engines for machines that are specifically designed to kill people in the most effective ways possible then... yeah

i mean good for you if you can live with it i guess :shrug: maybe you can design engines for like, transport vehicles or something that's not directly meant for killing?

e: and yeah i remember you're in Germany but i'm sure either us or our PMC's will buy plenty of whatever you build anyway :v:

we are all complicit

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Soricidus posted:

the common factor is idiots thinking "i heard this car is good in snow, guess i don't have to bother learning to drive now"

or that tires are the most important component for traction

what my car does terrible in the snow with lovely all seasons or summer tires? i have 4 wheel drive, its not possible!

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2019/03/tesla-asks-new-york-to-reconsider-incentive-for-non-proprietary-chargers/

quote:

Tesla says that NYPSC defined "publicly accessible" chargers too narrowly. The company argues (PDF) that "publicly accessible" should pertain only to the physical space that surrounds the charging station. It also argues that "technological accessibility" (that is, whether you car can access electricity based on the plug type) shouldn't factor into whether a charging station is publicly accessible.

Tesla writes that the "Order's novel definition of 'publicly accessible' is unlawful and arbitrary and capricious since it is devoid of record support, lacking a rational basis, and discriminatory."

Tesla sucks poo poo

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
i'm a skinny guy and had a hell of a time getting in and out of an i8

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

indigi posted:

I usually like BMWs but the i8 is a really stupid car

i got to drive one for a day and it was super fun and definitely sold me on a cool electric hybrid. it's just really impractical.

i beat on it for about 250 miles and got 50mpg

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

indigi posted:

does it feel like driving a BMW? I get >50mpg on my Prius (usually doing 75-80mph on my commute) but it doesn't feel like it has much power once you're over about 70

i mean it felt like an appliance. i'm used to e30s so it definitely doesn't feel like one of those, but it was still very responsive and fun to drive. a prius is a little more practical and has less than half the horsepower.

it honestly wasn't as fast as i expected, but it certainly wasn't slow. it was a blast for a day.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
hey combat theory what do you think about the golf alltrack? thinking of buying one for ~*MY WIFE*~

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
she wants a manual wagon, in the US, so its basically a crosstrek or an alltrack. would love to get something older but i dont want to have to think about it. they have the 1.8t. no dsg for this family.

well aware of the issues with the awd systems, not my first choice - but thats why i have a pile of e30s and she can drive something newer, safer, and awd is nice in the winter especially with winter tires

more on topic: i recently got to drive a chevy bolt and it was pretty nice?? it makes a lot of sense for certain markets. i don't know why you'd pick a model 3 other than the tesla hype. the model s at least makes some sense to me.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

hobbesmaster posted:

impreza 5 door is a wagon as well but i'm guessing you said crosstrek because you want the extra couple of inches of clearance.

subaru engines still have oil consumption issues but they'll exhibit their problems within the warranty period if they're going to have that issue

my wife prefers the look of the crosstrek over the regular impreza. she wants that or like an sti. they don't make the sti/wrx hatch anymore so thats out. it's also a little much for our commuting needs when i already have "fun" cars

almost everyone i know has had the engine out of their subaru at some point out of warranty.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Dehumanize Yourself And Face To Niro

manual is one of the requirements.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

that's stupid just get a hybrid

that's stupid, i should get a manual transmission.

she has a longer interstate commute where a hybrid isn't as ideal.

not to mention a manual transmission makes a boring car immediately more fun

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

lancemantis posted:

i don't know as a person that drove manual transmissions for years i don't think any type of transmission can make anything really all that much more fun that wasn't meant to be in the first place

the honda fit is a good example. i didn't like the way it drove until i drove one with a manual transmission. then i could make it do what i wanted.

if i wanted a hybrid - i would go full BEV. the hybrid doesn't appeal to me, although i'm sure it meets a lot of other peoples needs.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
just drive the car i mean lol it isnt even that hard

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

you see, it's got two GPUs

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
were they able to confirm if the plane crashed because of a bird strike on the aoa sensor? kind of seems like a key detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1180877114226008064

omg now my horn is going to be able to make a fart noise!! or a goat noise!!!

every tesla on the road is an affront to god