Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

i always find it funny when people use "evolutionary" - a slow, incremental process to describe things.
I'm also not sure evolutionary would even necessary preclude "maladaptive." An "evolutionary" car can still be an "evolutionary" dead end.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ditocoaf posted:

Popehat calls himself a libertarian, but just given the actual opinions he expresses and defends, you wouldn't often associate him with other libertarians.

He's broken ties with former cohorts as they've revealed the facism underneath their ideology, but so far he hasn't realized "maybe I should stop calling myself a libertarian then". ...I think he's used the terms "left libertarian" and "right libertarian" before, which lol.
It's sort of similar to the situation with conservatives: in academic circles there are fiscal conservatives who genuinely believe in small government based on economic/philosophical reasons (regardless of whether these reasons are correct), but they're drowned out by modern Republicans who just use small government as a political expedient when it suits their goals of screwing over minorities/poor people.

Similarly, in academic circles there are still genuine libertarians who believe in limiting government power for philosophical reasons, but they're drowned out by ersatz libertarians like the Pauls who are really moral conservatives who only use libertarian reasoning when it suits them.

I don't agree with the academic conservatives/libertarians but I always used to find their arguments interesting. However, the political discourse (and definition of "conservative" and "libertarian") has gotten so crazy that it's hard to find conservatives and libertarians who even make coherent arguments.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 31, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

are you suggesting that "women like the color pink because their eyes evolved to notice and prize berries when they were the gatherer half of hunter-gatherer civilizations" isn't a rock-solid unassailable scientific face?
Is that a real evolutionary psychology claim? It's pretty weird considering that pink was considered a manly color in the recent past.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

my MIL is always saying evopsych-style bullshit like "the maternal grandmother always cares the most of anyone for the grandchildren bc it's their only chance to carry on their genes" (completely coincidentally she is the maternal grandmother to our kids, go figure!)
Can evopsych explain why people tend to use evopsych to justify their existing preconceptions?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

i own several 4-letter domains, they're more common than you think.

also i had no idea you could get unlimited gdrive space with a .org, gonna have to try that now lmao
Wouldn't you need to create a new gapps account for it which would definitely not be free now?

mystes
May 31, 2006

You have to get a subscription for the enterprise tools to remotely manage chromebooks. Microsoft is now also offering similar services for windows.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Some people like chromebooks a lot but when I want to use laptop I want it to be an actual computer.

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-03/tesla-stock-on-a-blockchain-offers-hint-of-where-crypto-s-headed

There was just an extra slash at the end of the earlier link.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 4, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

KoRMaK posted:

Emerging out of my lurking to ask: is this loving real?
No of course not. It's a slightly modified version of the description of "sword katas" in the movie equilibrium.

mystes
May 31, 2006

iospace posted:

If only there were poo poo on the road to make you not post!
Welcome to the information superhighway.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It would be interesting if some smaller country actually managed to get self-driving cars in the near future by embedding markers in all the roads.

I guess if the country was small enough and had the right weather they might be able to get self-driving cars using lidar more easily too, though.

Right now everyone is just waiting for the whole self-driving car problem to be solved, but if that turns out to not be possible in the near future maybe there will be more interest in other more limited approaches.

mystes fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 3, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nfcknblvbl posted:

nope, no braking there either
"No braking" or "no use of brake pads because of regenerative braking"?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Combat Theory posted:

Untrue.

The driving resistance of a motorcycle is basically gently caress all and requires a fraction of the energy a car needs to propel itself to speed and keep that speed up.

The reason fuel consumption of motorcycles is not equally low as their driving resistance suggests is because motorcycles have ludicrously powerful engines (at least the interesting ones) that allow them to achieve driving performance that rivals the top of the line supercars for usually less than 1/10 of the price.

Motorcycles are purist machines with a purist development history. Across the board and despite the added technologies like abs, motorcycle weight went down and down and down and despite emissions regulations, engine performance went up and up and up without an increase in displacement.

When looking away from peak performance machines, the inherent advantage of motorcycles concerning fuel consumption is apparent. A fuel injected 125 will consume around 2 liters/100km. A fuel injected 200-300cc will be good with around 3 liters.

Given that none of these engines are heavily optimised for efficiency and provide adequate power to flow with traffic, that's nothing short of astonishing and switching the average car driver onto an average motorcycle could reduce overall fuel consumption by half easily.
It's "untrue" that "motorcycles use less energy per mile traveled than a car by an embarrassing small amount" because motorcycles could theoretically be more efficient even though in reality they aren't because motorcycle users want "interesting ones" with "ludicrously powerful engines"?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Silver Alicorn posted:

is ol musky balls gonna get the smack down today
Is that different than what people were talking about further up this page?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Combat Theory posted:

There's a very very easy solution to the green car and it's got almost nothing to do with propulsion. Buy lighter cars, buy smaller cars and within a single automotive generation the wank mobiles of our age will dissappear and so will all the engineering fuckery they brought with them to get them street legal and emissions certified.
Americans love SUVs (and fake SUVs) though. As someone who drives a small car, if I talk to my coworkers about cars it's like I'm a space alien or something.

mystes
May 31, 2006

infernal machines posted:

sounds like the tolls are too low

although this being VA, i'm guessing there are no trains or anything either, so it's more like drive or don't go
I think the start location in that map is literally on top of the dunn loring metro station.

mystes fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 19, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

I honestly can't imagine anyone willingly inflicting that commute by car on themselves, but if you live somewhere really far out it also can be more time consuming/expensive to even get to public transportation.

On the other hand, the people who are commuting from places like Purcellvile are people who are willing to become supercommuters in exchange for having nicer houses so they might be crazy in the first place.

mystes
May 31, 2006

"Every person killed by autopilot is another data point we use to improve our software. Thanks for paying to be a guinea pig."

mystes
May 31, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the amount of data that would need to push is actually one of the problems with implementing autonomous vehicles

Not to say they're actually doing it, but it probably wouldn't be impossible in this case if they only sent the data for a few seconds around when people override autopilot.

Heck, they could just collection locations where autopilot is overridden and then send someone over to drive a test vehicle in places where it happened several times.

mystes
May 31, 2006

lancemantis posted:

did she touch the change lane button on her ipad?
I have no idea whether this is a joke or not.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

The fix is obvious, just program autopilot to immediately disengage when G forces consistent with a crash are detected (same as for deploying airbags). This way autopilot will not have been active at the time of crash, and it's the driver's fault. No need for Tesla to be tied up in court when they can be innovating and building tubes to mars
Autopilot is programmed to periodically attempt to hit objects to confirm that the driver is paying attention and ready to take over as legally required. If the driver fails to prevent this, then they have clearly been negligent and violated their EULA, so the car will automatically report them to the police and file a lawsuit against them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

i have made the mistake of going on reddit. then i further made the mistake of arguing with bazingas about the terms of tesla's open patent license poo poo. they don't seem to understand that it deliberately lets a tesla use your entire patent portfolio.
These are grave sins so unfortunately as punishment we must sentence you to Trial by Autopilot. If you survive, you may continue to post here.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

i'd be more worried about my kid wearing red or white, and the tesla assuming he's a firetruck or road marking
Clearly the solution is to make all children wear special clothing that identifies them to self-driving cars.

mystes
May 31, 2006

iospace posted:

I'll almost always wear a reflective vest when I'm walking on the streets. They're 6 bucks at Ikea.
Be careful not to assume people can see you because of this; reflective vests only work when cars' headlights are pointed directly at you. If you're walking on a sidewalk and a car is about to exit a driveway ahead of you, they won't get any reflection from the vest at all.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

god damnit WHAT THE gently caress DOES THIS EVEN MEAN
Apparently: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1115338755370508289

As if the problem with Autopilot is cosmic rays or the software crashing, rather than it simply deciding that a pedestrian is a traffic lane or something like that.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah, thanks for explaining this. None of the news articles I have seen have actulaly explained whether the pilots understood the problem and followed the proper procedures; this makes it much clearer.

mystes
May 31, 2006

They can just keep saying that it's 18 months away, I guess. At the end of 2020 it will suddenly be coming out in 2022 (if Tesla still exists).

mystes
May 31, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

elon apparently was making GBS threads on lidar in his talk today

https://twitter.com/PlugInFUD/status/1120414305030164481
Of course he's making GBS threads on lidar. Tesla has put all this effort into developing crappy semi-self-driving cars that don't use lidar, but probably what's actually going to happen is that cheap solid state lidar modules will become available and it will make all of Tesla's work useless.

mystes
May 31, 2006

To prevent anyone else from getting data on autopilot accidents, making it easier to blame the drivers?

mystes
May 31, 2006

aardvaard posted:

fullmetal alchemist is #4 on the list of most popular anime on myanimelist, so it sounds like exactly the sort of thing you'd pick if you wanted everyone to think you were hip and cool and into japanese child cartoons but had never actually seen any.
Nah, he's just a weeb.

mystes
May 31, 2006

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/16/cars/tesla-autopilot-crash/index.html

quote:

"Tesla drivers have logged more than one billion miles with Autopilot engaged, and our data shows that, when used properly by an attentive driver who is prepared to take control at all times, drivers supported by Autopilot are safer than those operating without assistance," the company said in a Thursday statement.
Well yeah, if you remove all the accidents on the basis that the drivers failed to take control and therefore Autopilot wasn't being used properly by an attentive driver, Autopilot has a 0% accident rate.

mystes
May 31, 2006

obstipator posted:

40-50 people die from being struck by lightning each year
1-2 people die from autopilot each year
How many people are potentially exposed to lightning each year in the US?

mystes
May 31, 2006

They keep updating autopilot, so maybe each minor version should get its own 50 death/year quota?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Do puts have that effect too? If you get richer due to a put, then who gets poorer?
The person who sold the put, because they have to buy the stock from you at above the current share price.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Tesla isn't even going to last long enough to be around when a more competent company succeeds in making fully self driving cars.

mystes
May 31, 2006

creationist believer posted:

but imagine how profitable tesla will be when this vehicle is autonomous

火車
Do you just intend this to mean "burning car" or something? Apparently in Chinese it just means "train'" but in Japanese it is a Buddhist term that produced the more common phrase "火の車" meaning "desperate financial circumstances," aptly enough.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

I believe you mean "the tires will be watercooled", allowing even higher speeds. Perhaps at a high enough speed cars can fully hydroplane, saving wear and smoothing the underlying surface.
Just fill it completely with water and use supercavitation. SCUBA masks will be available as a premium option.

mystes
May 31, 2006

My Linux Rig posted:

I’m the driver who voluntarily gives 90% of my income to my boss cause I picked that setting, ama
Don't kinkshame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006