Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

quote:

The franchise centers on "Starlight" — the song and dance revue troupe loved throughout the world. Karen and Hikari make a promise with each other when they're young that one day they'll stand on that stage together. Time passes, and now the girls are 16 years old. Karen is very enthusiastic about the lessons she takes every day, holding her promise close to her heart. Hikari has transferred schools and is now away from Karen. But the cogs of fate turn, and the two are destined to meet again. The girls and other "Stage Girls" will compete in a mysterious audition process to gain acceptance into the revue.

Anime Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0RSR7V-uY4

Subbed Trailer of the Stage Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7eHEWWBQL4

Officially starts on July 13 and will be officially streamed by HIDIVE

Edit: Ok, the official subs are kinda garbage, so fansub-wise, your choices are CHYUU-PAS, ACSS, and Starlightsubs. CHYUU-PAS is kind of the best overall, ACSS tends to be the most liberal, and starlightsubs is generally the most literal. Chyuu-pas takes like a week to drop their releases though, so you'll probably be picking from ACSS or starlightsubs. I favor ACSS, just cause they write some fun lines for some gags/jokes, but obviously they're not the most accurate, but they have the best editing outta the 3 groups.

Manga prequel to the show
https://mangadex.org/manga/28891/shoujo-kageki-revue-starlight-overture

Why You Should Watch This?
I put those trailer links above this for a reason! But anyways, this show is directed by Furukawa Tomohiro, whose done work under Ikuhara on both Penguindrum and Yurikuma. The stage show itself was directed by a Takarazuka Revue alumni. In other words, this show is gonna be Utena as gently caress.

https://files.catbox.moe/wb6z2r.webm

Allarion fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Aijo Karen
Had her heart stolen by a revue named “Starlight” she once saw as a child. Now she’s running full speed through the path of a theater girl. She’s quite energetic and has a powerful voice, however she’s not good at getting up early for her morning lessons. She exchanged “destinies” with Hikari when she was a small girl, and together they participate in a mysterious revue.
Her dream is “To stand by Hikari’s side on stage!”

Played by Koyama Momoyo who has performed as Sailor Mercury in the Sailor Moon musicals.

Kagura Hikari
She is a natural born theater girl who was Karen’s childhood friend and studied abroad at a Drama School in England. She saw the revue’s “Starlight” with Karen as a child and exchanged “destinies” with her. After reuniting with her she participates in a mysterious revue as if driven by something…
Her dream is “To stand by Karen’s side on stage.”

Played by Mimori Suzuko, well known for her roles as Umi Sonada(Love Live) and Sherlock Shellingford(Milky Holmes).

Tsuyuzaki Mahiru
When on stage she dances and sings energetically, yet she normally is quite a gentle and shy girl. As Karen’s roommate she has always looked up to her cheerfulness and positive attitude. However, the turmoil in her heart won’t stop once Karen’s childhood friend, Hikari, is back on the scene…
Her dream is “To be Karen’s partner!”

Played by Haruki Iwata, who has acted in Alice-in-Project stage productions.

Saijo Claudine
She is the daughter of a Japanese father and a French mother. She has many talents and is a theater girl who participated in various plays as a child. However, once she entered the school, she met Maya for the first time, a girl who shone with such strength that from then on she became her sworn rival.
Her dream is “To surpass Maya Tendo and become the number one star!”

Played by Aiba Aina, known for her role as Yukina from Roselia in Bang Dream.

Tendo Maya
The daughter of a well-known theater actor and a Primadonna, truly a thoroughbred in the world of theater. She was blessed with a great physique and a clear, powerful voice. She is a naturally gifted, brilliant, theater girl who won’t be content with what she has, and keeps striving for greater glory. She is very well respected in school.
“Dreams aren’t something you are to see, but something you are to be fascinated with.”

Played by Tomita Maho, who has performed as Milfeulle in the Galaxy Angel musicals.

Hoshimi Junna
A talented Honor Student who is also the class representative. Her judgement and analytical skills are excellent, however she often has problems overthinking. She chose the path of a theater girl opposing her parent’s wishes, however the margin of difference between herself and the other girls in class possessing natural talents such as Maya, is too big and she finds herself struggling with worry.
Her dream is “To be bathed in the spotlight in the middle of the stage as the main character!”

Played by Satou Hinata, known for her role as Leah Kazuno(Love Live Sunshine).

Daiba Nana
A tall and gentle theater girl who acts as a mother to all the other students in the 99th Graduating Class. Her nickname is “Banana”. She boasts a great talent not only singing and dancing, but also directing. She still holds very dear the “Starlight” play they all did together during their first year.
Her dream is “If it were possible, to be able to do a play like that one time.”

Played by Koizumi Moeka, who has mostly acted in stage productions and commercials.

Isurugi Futaba
She is Kaoruko’s childhood friend and followed her into Seisho Music Academy. A rebel theater girl with a sharp tongue, who is quite gentle on the inside and even while complaining, her priority will always be Kaoruko’s wellness. Her short stature doesn’t stop her from having a high level of physical ability, she excels in the art of warfare(?) swordsmanship.
Her dream is “As long as it makes Kaoruko happy, then I’m fine with it too.”

Played by Ikuta Teru, who has had minor roles in stage productions and Jdramas, and played as Satsuki, the main character of the movie Akigire.

Hanayagi Kaoruko
A theater girl with an outstanding talent for dancing and singing, and the granddaughter of a family with a long history in traditional Japanese dance. As a genuine high class lady, she relies on Futaba quite a lot in her daily life. She is always smiling, but in reality she is more calculating than anyone else. Her relaxed Kyoto accent is her distinguishing character trait.
Her dream is “Pretty much… world domination.”

Played by Itou Ayasa, known for her roles as Ichigaya Arisa(Bang Dream) and Myoujingawa Alice(Futari wa Milky Holmes)

Cast info pulled from https://revuestarlight-en.net

Allarion fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 21, 2018

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
so the duels are the audition process?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
are the singing girls homo in this?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

DisDisDis posted:

are the singing girls homo in this?

Yes

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
It’d be funny if there were in-show fans who ship different girls

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I heavily recommend clicking both trailers, but based off my impressions of seeing the first 10 minutes at Anime Expo, I'm interested in the show. Didn't see enough to have any strong thoughts yet, but if the anime hits all those moments from the stage show trailer, then it'll be rad. Also neat, the seiyuu did perform their roles in the stage show too since this is a Bushiroad multimedia joint and all, so it's akin to being an idol musical.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

hell yeah

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

bushiroad bump

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Raw is hype, henshin is hype. Bushiroad winning anime summer and wrestling summer

Also took the baton of Kirara Precure Giraffe and carried it forward to more gay anime

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Good, queuing up

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
praying for card game cameos

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Raw was really good, can't wait to rewatch it with subs.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
A great first episode especially the Friend who is good at overseeing auditions.

Hopefully HiDive will translate the songs in the future, if this is a musical then I'd rather know what they are singing about rather than karaoke subs.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, that seems like song licensing thing. Shame cause those parts feel like they'd be important considering it's a musical and all. Otherwise, the episode was good

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So Musical Girl Utena, then?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It has a lot of Utena DNA in it since the director has worked under Ikuhara before on Penguindrum and Yurikuma.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
RIP roommate girl and her doomed crush.

I never knew giraffes are actually called kirin in Japanese, cool.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yo that first episode was rad as poo poo

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
thought i would relate to the sleepy one with the short haired gf but she doesn't eat green onions wtf

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I was not expecting the last third to get that crazy, god dang

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If the rest of the show keeps up this is gonna be a good AotY contender

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

they were right

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Just finished watching the first episode. Holy poo poo, that was intense and fascinatingly beautiful. Also don't be fooled into thinking it's "just an idol/musical anime"- It's absolutely a magical girls show in the style of Revolutionary Girl Utena. If you loved Utena, you will love the first episode of Starlight Revue.

Please watch this really cool show everyone!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah this show is p. dope. first show this season where I really wanted to go right on Episode 2

i like the girl with the big bow

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I adored the first ep!

If you did too, stream it with us at the end of the idolwatch! The watch itself begins earlier, but Revue Starlight will generally hit around 2:40 pm pdt/5:40 pm edt/9:40 pm utc on Saturdays at https://cytu.be/r/super_idol_time.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
This show seems like it's going places & I want to follow.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Be sure to check out the manga too, which covers their first year. Also be sure to watch the episode with translated lyrics from fansubs at some point too just those lyrics are pretty important. Anyways, Junna's lyrics are interesting in light of her chapter in the manga.

https://mangadex.org/manga/28891/shoujo-kageki-revue-starlight-overture

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
https://files.catbox.moe/2qfnlw.webm

Allarion fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 15, 2018

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

This show is interesting and all, but I think I'm willing to wait for some fansubs

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

AnacondaHL posted:

This show is interesting and all, but I think I'm willing to wait for some fansubs

yeah...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

show good

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

show good

:agreed:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
There’s a sub that adds lyrics, but it’s just a stopgap till the full fansub comes out.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Sindai posted:

RIP roommate girl and her doomed crush.

I never knew giraffes are actually called kirin in Japanese, cool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qilin

straight outta classical mythology

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
To further expand on my earlier post:

Starlight Revue has fantastic choreography, animation, and a lovely OST accompanying it's action sequences, which feels like a bigger budget, modern day Ikuhara anime, a new age "Revolutionary Girl Utena". It even has a lot of similar stylistic and symbolic, almost dreamlike qualities that set it apart from most other contemporary anime. Even putting all of that aside, the subject matter of choreographed musical stage plays is something rarely, if ever before, the focus of an Anime, a medium that can make the subject matter truly come to life and do things that would be difficult in a traditional medium such as film, and I'm really curious to see how inventive the staff of the show will get with the setpieces, transformations, dream sequences, and action scenes. It truly brought a smile to my face few other anime in recent memory have.

And yes, it's pretty gay too.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I wouldn't say it's just pretty gay

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's pretty, and it's gay, yes.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The good fansubs are out for anyone waiting on that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Edit: Well, there's another group attempting it too if you wanna wait more on that. From what I can tell, Starlight is just using an edited version of Hidives, but with lyrics added now.

• Locked thread