Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Expect My Mom posted:

This Is Tendou Maya

W-wakarimasu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
This show rules

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I love the tribulations of Mahiru

But really Junna is top Starlight

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

If only Mahiru had ever watched Love Live Sunshine, she might have some ideas on how to deal with her current predicament.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Allarion posted:

It's Maya honestly and I hope she shatters all of Karen's hopes and dreams

but yeah I honestly feel bad for Mahiru she doesnt deserve this

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

I hope we get to see the other transformation scenes I want to know what object that represents hopes and dreams the other girls will weaponize (i'm feeling like someone won't have any, prob maya)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

kiiirriiiiiiin, manequiiiiiiiiin!

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I'm kinda ashamed to ask this, and I hope no-one takes it as... I dunno, poo poo-stirring (b/c it always sounds like it when someone asks this sort of question) but...
I don't understand why everyone likes this show so much! What is it that's grabbing you guys so hard?

Like, this is the show everyone's raving about, and I'm just... bored. It's not bad, and it's a hell of a lot better than yet another Isekai or paint-by-numbers Shounen, but even so.

I don't find any of the characters interesting -- none of them seem to have any particularly interesting stuff going on yet beyond "Oh look, a childhood promise" which is pretty familiar ground. I don't find the setting interesting -- it's a high-school like almost every other one we see in anime. I don't find the magical aspect interesting -- hell, it's barely even magic beyond "get changed really fast and then have a sword fight". I mean, it's very pretty and well choreographed, which is nice, but it's not grabbing me. The talking giraffe is just filling the classic slot of "non-human magical organiser who stands around making vaguely cryptic remarks", and not very charismatically at that.

Can anyone articulate what they're seeing that I'm not? I'm really not trying to be a dick, I'm genuinely curious because I can't remember ever being so uninterested in something that this forum was so excited about.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Short answer: It’s not for you

Longer answer: Ikuhara protégé directs an idol-ish show. Interesting direction during the ‘boring parts’ and strong animation during the action scenes. Mild hype that something really strange could happen with the plot. Music is consistently great throughout the first two eps as well.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Jul 23, 2018

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Allarion posted:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The_White_Crane posted:

I don't find any of the characters interesting -- none of them seem to have any particularly interesting stuff going on yet beyond "Oh look, a childhood promise" which is pretty familiar ground. I don't find the setting interesting -- it's a high-school like almost every other one we see in anime. I don't find the magical aspect interesting -- hell, it's barely even magic beyond "get changed really fast and then have a sword fight". I mean, it's very pretty and well choreographed, which is nice, but it's not grabbing me. The talking giraffe is just filling the classic slot of "non-human magical organiser who stands around making vaguely cryptic remarks", and not very charismatically at that.

Can anyone articulate what they're seeing that I'm not? I'm really not trying to be a dick, I'm genuinely curious because I can't remember ever being so uninterested in something that this forum was so excited about.
The show's placing a lot of its drama and character building around a very specific niche of Japanese stage shows, and the tropes thereof. If you just have no exposure to those things, not even second-hand via other things that also reference them, I could see not getting it. For instance, the setting. It isn't just a high school, its based on the Takarazuka Music School. If you get that, that's what's interesting about the show to you. If you don't get that, it comes across as just a high school.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Nothing weong with asking that question.

What's grabbing me is the direction, mostly. It looks good. The way the characters are framed during their dances and combat scenes adds so much weight and drama to the proceedings, and the way that the camera is so aware of the environment. Like, the fight scene in episode 2 uses the fact that it's on stage so well.

Plus, I'm just a sucker for something that's willing to go full Theater Kid. A fight scene / dance / duet kind of pushes all my buttons.

I also love the music. Not just the composition, but the choice of instrumentation; there's a lot of wonderful solo piano.

For me, so far, it's mostly an aesthetic thing. I'm crossing my fingers that the characters and plot beats live up to the production.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jul 23, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
This is a good answer to that question:

Spiritus Nox posted:

For anyone who's interested, this person has been doing some nicely insightful breakdowns on the first few episodes on their blog:
Glad I read it since I completely missed the purple light following Juuna.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The_White_Crane posted:

I'm kinda ashamed to ask this, and I hope no-one takes it as... I dunno, poo poo-stirring (b/c it always sounds like it when someone asks this sort of question) but...
I don't understand why everyone likes this show so much! What is it that's grabbing you guys so hard?

To elaborate a bit on what everyone else has said - it's worth noting that they're not just studying dance or whatever, they're studying a particular form of musical theater in which there is traditionally one and only one very clear lead ("Position Zero!"), which gives an obvious framework for some nice drama as our cast struggles to reconcile competing desires to be on good terms with everyone but also win a zero-sum game, and perhaps to comment on the arbitrary and possibly unfair nature of that game as a whole. It's the sort of thing that could be a lot of fun if executed with a lot of visual flair, and the first two eps have been very promising on that front.

There's still a lot to do to actually fulfill that promise, sure, but I'd say that's true of the vast majority of shows after only two episodes.

P.S: Also the choreography, set design, and animation are very stylish and pretty and I really like looking at this show even if it eventually turns out not to have very much to say.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I'm watching this show because I like the industrial aesthetic.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The_White_Crane posted:

Can anyone articulate what they're seeing that I'm not?
i was a theater kid in high school

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Everyone posted:

Nice answers

I guess my problem is basically that I have zero familiarity with Japanese musical theatre, so I'm not getting any of the background that informs the atmosphere, and I've also never been all that particular about animation quality, so that aspect of this show is only a minor selling point to me. As Know Such Peace said, I guess it's just Not For Me, which is fine. Thank you guys for taking my question seriously and trying to explain what you liked about it. I appreciate it's not always an easy thing to articulate.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Get all of your friends to watch this show. Seriously. It's important.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

:aaa:

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Oh that's loving rad

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

I'm confident this will be useful later

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I watched the stage musical tonight! The broadest strokes of the story seem to be the same, but tons of details are changed.

https://a.pomf.cat/kqxjmm.webm

https://i.imgur.com/3KcayJS.mp4

Junna's still rad, though.

Banana loses a lot without her hair.

The butch/kansaiben pair didn't arrest my attention in the anime (so far) but they're pretty great in this.

A helpful thing, especially for part 2 when it just turns into an idol live and I need my blades to be the right color, is that their skirts inform the audience of their image colors.

Anyway, I'm now spoiled on all their weapons and the likely direction things are going, but that's OK! It was pretty good, and I'm totally going to stream it if/when subs are available.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Another episode, another day where Mahiru feels herself falling behind for reasons she can't comprehend

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
With ACSS that makes, what, 4 sets of subs for this show? I don't think that's happened in years.

I need a detailed chart to tell me which I should watch.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

The_White_Crane posted:

Like, this is the show everyone's raving about, and I'm just... bored. It's not bad, and it's a hell of a lot better than yet another Isekai or paint-by-numbers Shounen, but even so.

At first, I thought it felt like mildly Utena-ish w much lower stakes, but this last episode helps clarify a lot of what makes its character drama compelling for me. The show's basically asking the question of whether these girls, via magical sword/theatre comp or something, must ruthessly tear at and betray each other to find success and stardom, or whether its possible to somehow circumvent the weird rules of this arcane metaphorical system and stand at the top together in harmony, or at least find some kind of happiness.

Which...honestly sounds a lot like just saying a contest should end w going "Everybody's a winner!", but the ways winning and losing is driving each character ahead and how that's starting to affect their relationships in school is mildly interesting. These aren't fractured, tortured adolescents and losing the revue doesn't send them spiraling into self-hatred or angst, it instead helps them grow via admiration or renewed drive or even just being humbled enough to realize they still have a long way to go, and that that's OK. These realizations are helping new friendships grow, like between Karen and Junna, while causing cracks in others, and the somewhat low stakes of it all so far gives the show room to let these shifts in relationship breathe.

I'm not SUPER crazy about this show; the goofy humor parts are still a bore despite the lively storyboarding and I'm just not feeling that much of the music, which is a shame; but there's something there in the character writing that keeps me intruiged, which is more than I can say for Planet With or Angolmois, for example.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

With ACSS that makes, what, 4 sets of subs for this show? I don't think that's happened in years.

I need a detailed chart to tell me which I should watch.

Anyone have a trip report on whether the ACSS subs are any good?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

In the same way an anime set at an elite rich private high school allows for the snootiest of ojousama characters, the setup of this show's school as the elite theater school is a perfect setting and pretense to allow anime girl egos and characterizations to go hog wild, which they are doing. Having a background in any theater (disclaimer: I've done my time in high school, both on stage and behind) only helps affirm what you are seeing as comparable to reality.

Also, the metaphor of being all friendly and working hard on the surface but being a cutthroat battle underground for a single spotlight is so goddamn apt. Part of the charm of Shirobako was that you knew you were seeing some real life poo poo being represented about the anime production industry, and the same applies here.

Sports shows are able to rank characters to the top with numerical objectivity, while these dramas can only do so with artistic subjectivity, and I'd say both are enjoyable in similar ways.

So if none of that matches what you like then it's possible you may not like this show!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Spiritus Nox posted:

They're what the idolwatch used last week and the only subs so far for episode 3. They seem pretty good to me, though I haven't, like, done a side-by-side comparison.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

That’s the group I’ve been watching and they seem good, but I don’t know enough nuances to say if they’re the best or not. Honestly only went with them because they had the best and earliest released episode 1 (StarlightSubs just used an edited Hidive rip at the time, and the other group that starts with a C releases super late)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

In episode 2 StarlightSubs mistranslated half-step as octave, which is such an egregious error I'd recommend other options!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

AnacondaHL posted:

In episode 2 StarlightSubs mistranslated half-step as octave, which is such an egregious error I'd recommend other options!

loving dork

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
ACSS also edited the hidive script for ep1 iirc. I heard ACSS was originally just one guy that was planning on dropping it after Chyuu-PAS picked it up, but they got a ton of praise from the Starlight threads on /a/, and they've likely beefed up the team since ep1. ACSS is the fastest by a few hours, has a decent translation, but they have the worst typesetting of the three fansub groups. They sometimes get a bit too liberal with their translations, which makes things easier to process on a first watch but might miss nuances later on in the series.

I prefer StarlightSubs' translations so far, but they have the worst source video of the three if that matters to you. I don't notice a difference, but I'm a scrub. The typesetting is nice without drawing attention to itself. I've not noticed any significant mistakes aside from perhaps a grammatical error on Tendou Maya's line at the end of ep2. The team that is working on StarlightSubs has seen the stage play, so I'd trust them with the final say on ambiguous line reads.

Chyuu-PAS was supposed to be the saviors after hidive dropped the ball, but I did not care for a lot of their translation/localization choices for ep1 and haven't watched their ep2. They can't release until Sunday at the earliest, but they do have the best source video quality. They also have the fanciest typesetting, but I honestly thought it looked kind of gaudy during the ending of ep1 with the red sparkles for the lyrics. They might have corrected course since then. The sub group has a history of stalling/dropping shows midway through the season, but they've announced publicly that the current team does not have any of the members from the past that led to stalls.

There are upsides and downsides to all three, just make sure you skip Hidive/Sentai/HorribleSubs and you should be alright. I'm personally watching ACSS if I'm awake when it is first made available and then rewatching with StarlightSubs.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Episode 3 was REAL good. Bit surprised that Karen's first defeat came so early. Wonder how long it'll take her to bounce back.

Show's doing a really good job of balancing happy funtime SOL antics, slow-building tension, and the dramatic clashes of the Revue IMO

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

I want the next episode now

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/AnimeNewsNet/status/1022939695876071424

This show seems undubbable in much the same way that Symphogear and K-On are basically un-dubbable, so, uh, good luck to these guys I guess.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

The songs aren't putting in the work like the other aspects of the fights so far imo

edit: rather the lyrics. I feel they've done such a superb job of building the fights that they're more a cherry on top so far

Lessail fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 27, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's a dub of K-on

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

There's a dub of K-on

Yeah, but it doesn't dub the songs. Which is understandable, but still came off real weird there and will come off even weirder here where the lyrics are immediately relevant to the plot and poo poo if the Revue dub tries it.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

I remember something else as well, but that's the error that sticks out in my mind. Pretty egregious and obvious to anyone with the slightest training in music.

I'm definitely enjoying the different relationships between the girls; not everyone at the top is cut-throat, just set on beating their rivals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Love the Karen and Maya stuff but I also like that it's setting up sub plots for minor character. I mean I doubt Banana-chan just decided to go on production without some reason we'll see in a future episode

Also this end shot is super good. Episode is well directed but it also does little things so well

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread