Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
I suspect that will be what the eventual Revue between Karen and Mahiru will be about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That was hilarious, but the resolution was pretty unsatisfying.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Is there a consensus yet as to which fansub is best?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Maera Sior posted:

Is there a consensus yet as to which fansub is best?

Chyuu-PAS > ACSS > the rest is the general consensus, though I've not seen Chyuu-PAS, since it comes out too late for the idolwatch.

!tell oreos put fansub info in the OP

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Sure ok. I will put my bias for ACSS in the OP

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
A love that crushes like a mace.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The rolling... :3:

This is potatoes.

Knorth fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Aug 13, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

As much as I bellyached earlier, I will say that watching subs that actually include the lyrics for the Revue softened me on the latest episode a bit. Karen's still leaning a bit harder on the Clueless Shounen Protagonist schtick than I feel is entirely kind considering how much Mahiru's actually opened herself up to her, but the song at least has her actually talk to her as an individual a bit more instead of just coming off as "Oh yeah! Mahiru!! You're...one of...my...uh...classmates, right?"

Still hope they flesh this dynamic out at least a little bit more at some point, though. Mahiru vs Hikari could be a good opportunity, assuming it's coming.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Futaba and Kaoruko episode was real good married couple spat episode but with song!

Also next week is Banana episode and she wants the script to be tradtional from the post credit bit. So I expect Banana-drama

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That was very sweet.

drat, Banana really towers over everyone else in that group shot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The people complaining about the Karen Mahiru episode seem to have completely missed the point that Mahiru's jealously was born of her latching on to Karen and forgetting her own ambitions in the process and that Karen was under no obligation to return those feelings that someone had just decided on their own. The episode ended with her realising that she wanted to be a star for herself and her dream which was a fine resolution. And everybody ate potatoes.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Just saw (05), the jazz baseball fight scene was stylish af.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Tiny Kaoruko is very cute :3:

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I love how thrilled Tendo Maya is with her single candy

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am so glad next episode will be Rise of Banana
Finally... the real battle begins...

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I still think Kaoruko is a childish rear end and that Futaba deserves better.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Well that sure was not a Bananice episode!

Nana wanting to stay trapped in the brilliance of the 99th play and repeating it sure was something. And the show really upped the visual oppression to show this and how the stress of stage plays can also affect things. And that end bit where Nana stares at the camera wanting Hikari for her same version of the play is sure something. This really sets the stage for a great ending

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I love what they do with ED. Like in Hisone and Masotan, dropping the vocals completely is suitably weird and offputting.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

I love what they do with ED. Like in Hisone and Masotan, dropping the vocals completely is suitably weird and offputting.

I really like how it specifically ties into Nana's anxieties. I'm sure she feels on some level like she can't, or maybe shouldn't sing the way the others can.

Anyway I can't loving believe that this show has two Homuras in it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/359456/status/1032703428034588672

Rewatching these scenes and man....

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Banan-ancap

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/kkxuroky/status/1033345511716253698

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

well this story didn't pan out in a manner i expected

banananice

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Banana chan had gone bananas

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
Banana-chan just wants to live a quiet life.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Daiba Nana, indeed.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Well, that was a wild episode. Banana is powerful

Junna continues to be extremely cute :3:

Futaba is too small. Too tiny

Knorth fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Aug 27, 2018

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
This episode made me do a rewatch, and they set this reveal up masterfully in episode 3.

My other realisation for the night was "Yeah the Giraffe is cute! Kirin is a funny name, why does it sound familiar? Motherfucker..."

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Hikari just wants her girlfriend back, and I'll support her in this

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Did Banana just fall for the oldest trick on the wish wording book?

Giraffe: And now that you are the Top Star, what is the "stage" that you have sought?
Banana: It's still so blinding.
Giraffe: I do not know how many times we have done this, but... Very well.
Banana: Hey... Why? Why are you doing this for me?
Giraffe: The moment a Stage Girl becomes a Top Star [...] An eternal stage no one can foresee! I... wish to see that.
Banana: An eternal stage... that no one can foresee.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Banana is definitely keeping everyone time-locked cause she doesn't want everyone to move on and change however they will, whether they drift apart or grow further. The fact she takes pictures of everything kinda reinforces this

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
By the way, this blog has been still going, and it's still making neat posts

https://formeinfullbloom.wordpress....zuka-criticism/

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

grancheater posted:

Did Banana just fall for the oldest trick on the wish wording book?

Giraffe: And now that you are the Top Star, what is the "stage" that you have sought?
Banana: It's still so blinding.
Giraffe: I do not know how many times we have done this, but... Very well.
Banana: Hey... Why? Why are you doing this for me?
Giraffe: The moment a Stage Girl becomes a Top Star [...] An eternal stage no one can foresee! I... wish to see that.
Banana: An eternal stage... that no one can foresee.

I don't really think there's any trickery going on on the part of the giraffe. The giraffe doesn't seem like a character with agency in its own right so much as the embodiment of the stage itself.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Watching it again, it’s neat to see how the first performance of Starlight reflects their future status if Hikari had not entered the picture, like implying that Kaoruko would have definitely left unlike how the last episode resolved. In essence Hikari’s presence is causing everyone to go off-script

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

When I rewatch the show it's going to be super fun to pick out stuff that has a new meaning thanks to Banana's wish, not just stuff like trying to bribe Hikari with muffins

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I caught up on this show amd thread and I gotta say the people mad about how Karen handled her roomie are absolutely baffling because she never said anything about any romantic intentions and karen very clearly didn't reciprocate those feelings even when they were revealed. She handled it very gracefully when in all honesty she had no obligations to deal with the hidden advances of someone she had no interest in in that way.

The girl was about 2 days from a reddit post about how she's been such a good friend and so helpful and nice to Karen why won't she just fall in love with me on r/friendszone.

I'm glad she got herself figured out and out of that awful outlook.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Anyway I can't loving believe that this show has two Homuras in it.
I find this funnier than I probably should.

I've seen multiple people reference Penguindrum with regards to this episode, but I'd like to refer back to Utena. Nostalgia and Recapturing The Way Things Were are the weaknesses for almost the entire cast and the conflict is driven by their unwillingness to move on and achieve personal growth.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
One thing that is interesting is that Maya is right, there is no going back to that first production where everyone was happy and no-one competed or was hurt. Because that only existed in Daiba's mind who sailed through on natural talent yet fine with whatever role she was assigned. The reality is the competition was cut-throat, there are no minor characters in the play nor the show, if you don't get a role, you are generic background schoolgirl 14. Each time Daiba gets her wish, she remembers the past continuously, she isn't repeating that first play only getting further and further away, to the point the Hikari isn't a wrench in her plans so much as another tool in her shed.

Daiba isn't looping the same period like the others, she is moving along to a future that only gets more and more miserable, yet won't stop because she's terrified the alternative could be worse and in her mind the only way to see it she either has to give up control or embrace a system she despises.

edit: It actually is worse because for a while she believes she has subverted The Audition, until she asks the Kirin who tells her she is putting on a glorious performance just as the other Stage Girls were, sure she isn't the lead role of Starlight but she has taken the lead role in Daiba Nana's Excellent Adventure. Or if you want to get meta Episode 7.

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 28, 2018

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Yak of Wrath posted:

One thing that is interesting is that Maya is right, there is no going back to that first production where everyone was happy and no-one competed or was hurt. Because that only existed in Daiba's mind who sailed through on natural talent yet fine with whatever role she was assigned. The reality is the competition was cut-throat, there are no minor characters in the play nor the show, if you don't get a role, you are generic background schoolgirl 14. Each time Daiba gets her wish, she remembers the past continuously, she isn't repeating that first play only getting further and further away, to the point the Hikari isn't a wrench in her plans so much as another tool in her shed.

Daiba isn't looping the same period like the others, she is moving along to a future that only gets more and more miserable, yet won't stop because she's terrified the alternative could be worse and in her mind the only way to see it she either has to give up control or embrace a system she despises.

edit: It actually is worse because for a while she believes she has subverted The Audition, until she asks the Kirin who tells her she is putting on a glorious performance just as the other Stage Girls were, sure she isn't the lead role of Starlight but she has taken the lead role in Daiba Nana's Excellent Adventure. Or if you want to get meta Episode 7.

This is a good post.

Daiba is also refusing to acknowledge that theater, being a live performance, will never be the same way twice. If she can't accept this aspect of the art, she shouldn't be doing it.

ETA: Anyone want to discuss why it is that the characters as have similar weapons as goddesses as they do during the fight, but Daiba's hands are empty in her closeup? We're seeing the characters as the personifications of theirs stage roles (lines, weapons), which raises questions about why they were cast in the first place, and whether the changes in them due to the duels will be reflected by changes in the cast.

I get the sense that Daiba is searching for the high that comes from live performance (practice + camaraderie + nerves) and it hasn't set in that she can't recapture it just by replicating the circumstances.

Maera Sior fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Can't wait to watch this episode seven more times.

• Locked thread