Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

It seems most efficient to charge your lithium ion batteries right from the volcano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Shugojin posted:

It seems most efficient to charge your lithium ion batteries right from the volcano

:hmmyes: now you're thinking with drugs

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Tubgoat posted:

I'm not sure, but I feel like native Hawaiians, the eight that are left, might have some problems with geothermal from capping a volcano. They're already not a fan of the constantly-expanding number of telescopes on sacred Mauna Kea, followed by our media going "LOL THESE IGNORANT SAVAGES AND THEIR SUPERSTITIONS" as "science" is used to justify further colonial encroachment. Citations Needed has an excellent episode about this.

as pointed out, i think geothermal vents/caps on volcanos would be obviously dumb for anyone in the industry

the point was that sounds like what musk would do despite all those """experts"""

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

ladies and gentlemen, i present the genius, elon msk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
"engineering is hard, let's do meth"
- elon "musky" musk

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
Elon "1000% to 10,000% harder" Musk

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Not well understood by whom, mr musk? By whom? Process engineers, or billionaire dilettantes with a "gently caress yeah, science!" shirt.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

legit shocked he's saying this, what the hell

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

has elon musk actually. . . learned? i miss the heady days of "air resistance is the limit to manufacturing speed!"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
he's "learned" that he can shift blame away from himself by saying "the engineering is really hard guys" whenever someone points out that he is completely full of poo poo and literally just making things up

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's not his fault that he's such a visionary that his ideas cannot be built with modern science and engineering.

you can't blame him for boosting his company's stock price by claiming to be building things that you'd find on a 7th grader's trapper keeper

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

has he announced rocket shoes?

i know he was claiming they were building a tesla with compressed gas rockets, but what about rocket shoes? that's a musky idea if ever i heard one

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
every tesla that rolls off the assembly line out of the tent is essentially a prototype

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

1000 and 10000

Two numbers which are very similar

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Egg Moron posted:

1000 and 10000

Two numbers which are very similar

What do you want? There's literally zero difference between them.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Elon stared at the tent factory. He considered moving the robot arm over to the conveyor belt, but then he didn’t. Instead, he moved it to the right. He nodded. The engineer walked over, and said something bitchy. Elon chuckled, then sighed. “Engineer,” he said, “please go away.” The engineer made a whimper from his mouth and then he walked away.

Elon stared at the factory. He reflected that the best problems were the problems that were so hard. And that was what automation was. Where would he move the robot arm next?

“Well, Elon!” harrumphed the Tesla short. “Perhaps now you see that automation is so hard?” Elon nodded. Automation was so hard. That night, he thought about the factory. He snorted a drug that made the problem less hard, but even then, it was still so hard. Elon was plastic-surgeried and rich, but still he didn’t want to lose, because it would be better to win. But automation was so hard.

The engineer ran over. “Elon!” said the engineer. If you don’t win, there will be an electric Audi, and maybe an electric Porsche!“ Elon was appalled. "I must win the stock market,” he said. He sighed.

The next day, the short bragged: “I will win the stock market! I am the best at winning the stock market!” Elon sighed. But then Elon saw what he would do: instead of moving the robot arm to the left, he would move it forward. The short was so surprised. “But… but automation is supposed to be so hard!” But Elon was very smart. He moved the robot arm again, and in a way that was so smart.

“NOOOOO,” shouted the short. Elon had made the best factory. He had made the best robotic factory. The engineer congratulated him, and the girl wanted to have sex with him. “Well,” thought Elon, “I will have sex with her. I am, after all… THE REAL LIFE TONY STARK.

BMan has issued a correction as of 19:16 on Sep 22, 2020

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

remember when trump said "not many people know this, but health insurance is really complicated"

yeah

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

BMan posted:

Elon stared at the tent factory. He considered moving the robot arm over to the conveyor belt, but then he didn’t. Instead, he moved it to the right. He nodded. The engineer walked over, and said something bitchy. Elon chuckled, then sighed. “Engineer,” he said, “please go away.” The engineer made a whimper from his mouth and then he walked away.

Elon stared at the factory. He reflected that the best problems were the problems that were so hard. And that was what automation was. Where would he move the robot arm next?

“Well, Elon!” harrumphed the Tesla short. “Perhaps now you see that automation is so hard?” Elon nodded. Automation was so hard. That night, he thought about the factory. He snorted a drug that made the problem less hard, but even then, it was still so hard. Elon was plastic-surgeried and rich, but still he didn’t want to lose, because it would be better to win. But automation was so hard.

The engineer ran over. “Elon!” said the engineer. If you don’t win, there will be an electric Audi, and maybe an electric Porsche!“ Elon was appalled. "I must win the stock market,” he said. He sighed.

The next day, the short bragged: “I will win the stock market! I am the best at winning the stock market!” Elon sighed. But then Elon saw what he would do: instead of moving the robot arm to the left, he would move it forward. The short was so surprised. “But… but automation is supposed to be so hard!” But Elon was very smart. He moved the robot arm again, and in a way that was so smart.

“NOOOOO,” shouted the short. Elon had made the best factory. He had made the best robotic factory. The engineer congratulated him, and the girl wanted to have sex with him. “Well,” thought Elon, “I will have sex with her. I am, after all… THE REAL LIFE TONY STARK.

:kiss:

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 19:17 on Sep 22, 2020

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

gently caress, I missed a word

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Shugojin posted:

:effort:

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

infernal machines posted:

do you think anyone's going to stop you?

The disembodied voice of my youth group pastor reminding me that sexual degeneracy is a one way ticket to hell

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I remember a few years ago when 'ol Musky decided to throw a bunch of people with 0 industrial robotics experience at trying to build and maintain some fancy new industrial automation systems. Turns out, even if you're brilliant, you're not going to produce anything very good on the first few tries. Oh well! Number still go up.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Nah, it perfectly captures the amount of effort/thought Musk would put into this scenario, A+

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.

Elon "We don't need Industrial Engineers" Musk wondering why scaling manufacturing is so hard :saddowns:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Lady Militant posted:

Elon "We don't need Industrial Engineers" Musk wondering why scaling manufacturing is so hard :saddowns:

I don't think you understand. Nobody has ever done this before!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

You're supposed to throw the battery into the ocean, Elon, not the volcano.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/mcwm/status/1308511728834162689

The best one:
https://twitter.com/mcwm/status/1308514653581041666

https://twitter.com/mcwm/status/1308536759404425222

The whole thread is loving wild.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Goodpancakes posted:

The good news is that Geothermal isn't capping a volcano, and wouldn't even be on the volcano.

yeah lol no one suggested that

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Wait, why would Tesla want to release a $25,000 Tesla in three years?

I thought in three years they were going to be a full self-driving robo taxi company?

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
We're having trouble scaling production by a factor of 10, but sure, yeah, we can drop the base model price by 30% easy.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

math is hard too

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Amazing results in 3 years?

Elon you've done it again! Lets get that stock up to $5,000!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

https://twitter.com/Sofiaan/status/1308509690574249984?s=20

wild

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

You brand new car, but some random dude farted into the seat for a few hours before they handed the keys over

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Wasn't there an issue with Tesla computers that they never actually got wiped or reset, so you could theoretically go in and view past usage, passwords, certificates, etc...

Just curious.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Can't spell guillotine without elon.

The Atomic Man-Boy
Jul 23, 2007

gschmidl posted:

Can't spell guillotine without elon.

:aaaaa:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
So I just realized that Tesla is now accepting money for the Tesla Model S "Plaid" for delivery in "late 2021". Still waiting for the Tesla Roadster, announced and displayed in 2017 and accepting cash deposits immediately for delivery in 2020, the Tesla Semi announced and displayed and accepting cash deposits immediately in 2017 for delivery in 2019, the Tesla Cybertruck, announced 2019 and accepting cash deposits immediately for delivery 2021 oh, and "Full Self-Driving", which went on sale in 2016, full price, for delivery any day now, still at delivery any day now.

Has there been any company in history allowed to accept so much money in deposits and full price sales for products that don't exist and don't have a real timeline for existing? It's like if Theranos was still around because they managed to delivery a pregnancy and cholesterol test.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I was watching the Canadian Television show Anne with an E (Takes place in ~1900s East Coast Canada) on one of the episodes a teacher created a battery to power a light bulb from a potato.

It made me think of Elon Musk and if he would be impressed by such an experiment being done in front of him.

EDIT: Oh my god, there's an Elon Musk of Potatos.

https://medium.com/hungry-for-disruption/meet-the-elon-musk-of-potatoes-f97b2d2cf42b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Three Olives posted:

So I just realized that Tesla is now accepting money for the Tesla Model S "Plaid" for delivery in "late 2021". Still waiting for the Tesla Roadster, announced and displayed in 2017 and accepting cash deposits immediately for delivery in 2020, the Tesla Semi announced and displayed and accepting cash deposits immediately in 2017 for delivery in 2019, the Tesla Cybertruck, announced 2019 and accepting cash deposits immediately for delivery 2021 oh, and "Full Self-Driving", which went on sale in 2016, full price, for delivery any day now, still at delivery any day now.

Has there been any company in history allowed to accept so much money in deposits and full price sales for products that don't exist and don't have a real timeline for existing? It's like if Theranos was still around because they managed to delivery a pregnancy and cholesterol test.

It's Star Citizen all over again