Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Bideo James posted:

why did we abandon the shuttle system?

Turns out reusing the same spacecraft for repeated atmospheric exits and re-entries is a terrible idea

Lmao

Lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Three Olives posted:

I think they basically admitted at some point that it was just to test advanced military space systems, materials, radars, antennas, trusters, cameras, etc before they actually developed actual satellites that used them, i.e. stuff they were almost certainly secretly doing from the Space Shuttle bay before the program was ended.

The secrecy made a lot of benign things look sinister, like the fact that the technicians that went up to it were in like major hazmat gear turned out to have a really benign explanation, that it's thrusters used hydrazine which is super, super, super toxic.

it does that and also inspects satellites of other countries too

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Watching Iron Man 2 and the best line they could come up with for Musk to say to the guy with the armor powered by a magic reactor that he created in a cave out of scrap, is “I’ve got an idea for an electric jet”

Just-In-Timeberlake has issued a correction as of 04:10 on May 5, 2021

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Three Olives posted:

I think they basically admitted at some point that it was just to test advanced military space systems, materials, radars, antennas, trusters, cameras, etc before they actually developed actual satellites that used them, i.e. stuff they were almost certainly secretly doing from the Space Shuttle bay before the program was ended.

The secrecy made a lot of benign things look sinister, like the fact that the technicians that went up to it were in like major hazmat gear turned out to have a really benign explanation, that it's thrusters used hydrazine which is super, super, super toxic.

It makes more sense for the air force to have their own thing. Otherwise you either have to read in random civilian astronauts into whatever SCI compartment they would need for the mission, or buy an entire shuttle launch with cleared personnel.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
electric jets are a laughable idea, too. if musk knew anything about jets or electric vehicles he probably would have protested that line.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i'm pretty sure musk was tweeting about electric jets at one point

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

infernal machines posted:

i'm pretty sure musk was tweeting about electric jets at one point

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1320180525009571845?s=20

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1294607951357870082?s=20

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1298017332904620033?s=20

Hillary 2024 has issued a correction as of 05:18 on May 5, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Do Muskbots dream of electric jets?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Why sell carbon credits when you can do bitcoins?

Why not carbon offset credits for bitcoin mining?

Bonus $$$ if you can work in NFTs somehow.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Can someone explain carbon credits to me because it just sounds like people paying money to be able to claim they're not polluting the air.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Zerilan posted:

Can someone explain carbon credits to me because it just sounds like people paying money to be able to claim they're not polluting the air.

you already understand it perfectly

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Companies that don't emit carbon have carbon credits, they sell them to companies that emit carbon, but need more credits. This solves climate change somehow.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
ok make an electric rocket then if your so smart

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Carbon credits:carbon tax :: cryptocurrency:actual money

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Platystemon posted:

Carbon credits:carbon tax :: cryptocurrency:actual money

That is actually an extremely adept comparison, since both pretend to be the other while making GBS threads out disproportionate amounts of CO2 to the other.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Zerilan posted:

You already understand it perfectly.

It's a shell game.

Always has been, always will be.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I know the answer is "they're stupid" but it boggles my mind anyone can read an Elon tweet - especially ones with "technical" details in them - and not immediately catch onto it being bullshit.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Elon doesn’t even have the turtleneck and the deep voice of Elizabeth Holmes.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

what

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zerilan posted:

they're what happens when a state claims to have an emissions cap, emissions quota, or emissions tax, but doesn't actually have the guts to punish businesses that exceed the cap

it's a mild, overcomplicated subsidy in which companies that don't use their full carbon quota can sell their extra quota to other companies

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I miss the Seattle Supersonics

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

You'd think a megagenius whose company puts out electric cars would know it's impossible.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

well you see Teslas can go really fast (in a straight line) on the road, so obviously that translates 1:1 to flying

if you were a genius you'd understand

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

So you put the lion's share of the batteries in the belly of the plane?

yep

what happens if you need to make a landing without landing gear?

it won't happen.... we have the best.... landing... gear

yeah - but like, what happens if you need to make a landing without landing gear

can't happen, won't let it happen. backup... landing gear

but... what?

titanium armor plates! on the! bottom like... in f1

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

The entire principle of function of jets almost completely excludes them from using electric drive.

Their entire thing is that they compress air then combust it. The combustion is ×required× to make them work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have an idea for an electric horse.

Edit: it probably wasn't even in the script, he was probably supposed to just shake Tony's hand and that was it, but he wanted to sound like a smart boy and said "electric jet" and Robert Downey jr was a good enough actor to roll with it and move on and everyone decided it was good enough.

Cojawfee has issued a correction as of 15:05 on May 5, 2021

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

The sybian was invented a while ago, just saying :downsrim:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Electric jets are strong, and real, and my friend. All you naysayers also denied the reality of spherical pixels being the key to full self-driving. We are held back by flat pixels.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

UnknownTarget posted:

The entire principle of function of jets almost completely excludes them from using electric drive.

Their entire thing is that they compress air then combust it. The combustion is ×required× to make them work.

I was going to say this, there is actually a term for a "jet engine" without combustion, it's called a ducted fan.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

Edit: it probably wasn't even in the script, he was probably supposed to just shake Tony's hand and that was it, but he wanted to sound like a smart boy and said "electric jet" and Robert Downey jr was a good enough actor to roll with it and move on and everyone decided it was good enough.

I read that as electric house, and I was like, yes, that's generally how they work.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

UnknownTarget posted:

the muskjet will combust batteries as needed

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Three Olives posted:

I was going to say this, there is actually a term for a "jet engine" without combustion, it's called a ducted fan.

It's not a jet if there's no compression.

An electric jet where the electricity is generated by an onboard nuclear reactor is feasible if the reactor is made small by using weapons grade plutonium for fuel.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

UnknownTarget posted:

whoa what if they burned electrons instead smart guy

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

UnknownTarget posted:

yes but what if you thought outside the "laws of thermodynamics" box and could compress air without it heating up?

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

FAUXTON posted:

yes but what if you thought outside the "laws of thermodynamics" box and could compress air without it heating up?

they use the compression to make the compression

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

human garbage bag posted:

also known as the tesla bustout strategy

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Elon Musk watching old episodes of Jonny Quest and quickly scribbling down in his “My super smart ideas” notebook

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

elon says in the tweets his brain just can't handle making an electric jet, so don't feel bad if you can't understand it either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

human garbage bag posted:

a jet powered by jpg compression