Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

baw posted:

a jet powered by jpg compression

That's the Cybertrk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Companies that don't emit carbon have carbon credits, they sell them to companies that emit carbon, but need more credits. This solves climate change somehow.

pigou did nothing wrong

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I honestly assumed that the "I have an idea for an electric jet" was kind of a wink and nod joke about it's absurdity, it kinda fits with the absurdity of the entire iron man suit. But then I saw those tweets and ohhh boy lmfao

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

elon says in the tweets his brain just can't handle making an electric jet, so don't feel bad if you can't understand it either

Him and Fermi share the same margin of paper.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Someone tweet Musk about making a space helicopter so it becomes the new vanity project at SpaceX

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Electric "jets" use accelerated superheated plasma (similar to ion thrusters, but not really the same) generated by atmospheric air pumped into a microwave resonance cavity, it's a really cool technology, but the required battery tech is still not there yet to make it feasible or economical, believe Just Have A Think on youtube covered it recently. There's a lot of interest in it as a way to eliminate fossil fuels from aircraft and uses little to no moving parts.

Whether or not this is what ol Musky was referring to, though?

Justin Tyme has issued a correction as of 18:10 on May 5, 2021

Gods_Butthole
Aug 9, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
Well gently caress, it looks like we've been owned by Musk

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ugh, I just watched last night's Pete Davidson interview from Seth Meyers' show and it sounds like he's excited about having Musk host SNL. He's "having dinner with him tonight" and hoping the man gifts him a Tesla. I liked Pete a lot but I guess I shouldn't be surprised he sucks, since he agreed to kiss Dan Crenshaw's rear end on live TV a few years ago.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Pete Davidson doesn't give a poo poo - he just wants a free tesla. Just like how he was at the Jake Paul Ben Askren fight - only there to get paid doesn't give a gently caress otherwise

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Mister Speaker posted:

I liked Pete a lot but I guess I shouldn't be surprised he sucks, since he agreed to kiss Dan Crenshaw's rear end on live TV a few years ago.

Yeah that was a real moment of revelation for a lot of people. Just prostrating yourself on live tv to someone who would kill you if he had the chance.

More talking about the shows decision to bring Crenshaw on rather than Davidson himself.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I miss the Seattle Supersonics

me too :(

i got to work in key arena for an event and it was cool to walk around what was their locker rooms

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So far everyone who has publicly kissed Musk's rear end has later said they were doing it because they were hoping musk would give them a Tesla. Why do people think Musk would give anyone a Tesla?

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Judging by their sales numbers they can't afford to just give them away.....

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cojawfee posted:

So far everyone who has publicly kissed Musk's rear end has later said they were doing it because they were hoping musk would give them a Tesla. Why do people think Musk would give anyone a Tesla?

Some people still think that Mush is a magic man and can do anything and everything he wants to.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Slotducks posted:

Judging by their sales numbers they can't afford to just give them away.....

well it's not as though they're selling them

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

infernal machines posted:

It's hard to get them off the production floor with issues like

paint...?

bumpers staying on

firetruck seeking ai driving?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

He does anything for attention and the spotlight and for people to say "ah man what a swell guy". But he figured out he doesn't have to gift people stuff he can just make empty promises for maybe post a meme for the same effect only it's free.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

My brother bought one. I can't wait for the argument about how dumb I am that I won't get inside his death trap next time I see him.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Slotducks posted:

It's hard to get them off the production floor with issues like

paint...?

bumpers staying on

firetruck seeking ai driving?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

My brother bought one. I can't wait for the argument about how dumb I am that I won't get inside his death trap next time I see him.

i'm sure it's fine as long as you're not in a back seat and he doesn't use autopilot

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

this is why they're all about 1 pedal driving, 50% savings on pedal overhead.

Yeah driving a tesla is fine - it's definitely not worth the 70 grand or whatever it costs. It's a poo poo ride with great acceleration (this is the only credit I'll really give it)

I posit it like this - In anyone's family, barring someone who can't drive standard, you can give keys to basically anyone and say hey can you move %literally-any-car for me without really any questioning. Unless you have a Tesla, then it's a 15 minute tech demo starting with describing how the loving door handles work and how to unlock it. Then you actually sit in it and it's just... not intuitive at all.

Slotducks has issued a correction as of 19:25 on May 5, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

i'm sure it's fine as long as you're not in a back seat and he doesn't use autopilot

My mom's gushing about how "it just goes!" tells me that he probably does

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Slotducks posted:

this is why they're all about 1 pedal driving, 50% savings on pedal overhead.

push it halfway down to accelerate, all the way down to brake. easy peasy

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Slotducks posted:

Pete Davidson doesn't give a poo poo - he just wants a free tesla. Just like how he was at the Jake Paul Ben Askren fight - only there to get paid doesn't give a gently caress otherwise

Huh, I thought Davidson and the Paul brothers were buddies for some reason, but there he is in the pre-fight interviews confronting Jake about his sexual assault allegations. Solid. I hope he makeshelps Musk look like a fool on Saturday, gets a free Tesla and then trashtalks the man immediately afterwards.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

baw posted:

push it halfway down to accelerate, all the way down to brake. easy peasy

press twice for brakes press once for go

*presses twice*

double go! wow!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Gods_Butthole posted:

Well gently caress, it looks like we've been owned by Musk

you've actually owned yourself. musk's m/o basically pitching abstracts he found on google scholar as his own investor storytime ideas, then when people go check google scholar they see his super smart ideas repeated back by The Experts.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Iron Crowned posted:

You'll be fine. Just have the emergency inside door opening poster with you.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Davidson and Musk are all both huge druggies hth

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Elon Musk watching old episodes of Jonny Quest and quickly scribbling down in his “My super smart ideas” notebook

When I was a kid I would get pissed off watching Captain Planet when they were whizzing around in their solar powered electric jet 'Eco Cruiser'. It annoyed me because I knew that it wasn't technically possible with current technology and it's very easy to be all high and mighty in a cartoon where the laws of physics don't apply but some of us have to live in the real world! In retrospect I should have started an electric jet company and hoovered up VC money.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

in which we admit starlink cannot scale to meet demand

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

https://twitter.com/CBSLA/status/1390023342082510848?s=20

at least it didn't catch on fire this time. should be able to recover the SD card to say that AP deactivated a second before impact so not tesla's fault

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

those drat overturned trucks always getting in the way

does the Tesla subreddit still have a ban on accident news? lmao

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

peepeepants posted:

at least it didn't catch on fire this time. should be able to recover the SD card to say that AP deactivated a second before impact so not tesla's fault

what the short-selling media shills aren't telling you is that there was a tunnel painted on the roof of the trailer and that anybody would have thought you could go through it

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Oh, so it's just like every other Musk idea in that it's inherently exclusive to those who can pay for it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Nothus posted:

Oh, so it's just like every other Musk idea in that it's inherently exclusive to those who can pay for it.

and it doesn't actually work anything like advertised

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.

quote:

The "only limitation is high density of users in urban areas," Musk said.

isn't that the entire promised use case? if I want it in a rural area I don't need a constellation of loving thousands to get that done

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the promised use case is "low latency, unlimited bandwidth, everywhere"

guess which of those are not true

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

those drat overturned trucks always getting in the way

does the Tesla subreddit still have a ban on accident news? lmao

Accidents are just a conspiracy invented by Detroit auto. All this was is a data gathering experiment and clearly it was a resounding success because the driving AI will now know attempting to drive thru an overturned truck isn’t possible. Musk playing 100 dimensional chess here Love The Car

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.

peepeepants posted:

A hearty thank you for this samaritan's sacrifice. Now the learning AI will know to never drive into an overturned truck again. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

the promised use case is "low latency, unlimited bandwidth, everywhere"

guess which of those are not true

Is it... all of them?