Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

infernal machines posted:

They basically are, but then why have "tow mode" at all? Why have a booby trapped tow mode that disengages automatically after a certain time, all but guaranteeing some idiot will try to use it when their car is towed, and cause an accident?

Why are so many things in the model 3 fail-deadly? What kind of unbelievable goddamn loving idiots work at Tesla and why are they not in jail yet?

So you can get it up on the flatbed, otherwise it shifts from neutral to park when you exit the car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

the funniest profile i found was this: https://twitter.com/Wickedpissah4
Bio: Not a bot.
*is clearly a bot*
"You are desperate. Wow."

edit: god i hate twitter's interface. i can't stand clicking all this poo poo. it's like it's purposely punishing you for trying to read threads

edit2: jesus christ half these tlsaq guys feel like bots too. how the gently caress does twitter work? it's like a white noise machine.

edit3: its like im a 1930s old lady looking at a disassembled a-bomb. and putting random bits of it in my mouth.

im depressed lol has issued a correction as of 03:27 on Sep 24, 2018

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Suspicious Dish posted:

Musk is in a different mood than he was at SpaceX, and that’s something that those who’ve come to know Musk observe. One moment, he may be reciting favorite lines from an animated TV show he just saw, the next he may be curtly giving detailed instructions, the next he may be ignoring you while lost in a thought, the next he may be asking for your advice on a problem, the next he may be breathless with laughter while riffing on a humorous tangent for five minutes, the next he may be acting as if you’ve both never met. And through it all, you learn not to take it personally, because chances are that it has nothing to do with you.

genius or drugged out idiot

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

im depressed lol posted:

edit: god i hate twitter's interface. i can't stand clicking all this poo poo. it's like it's purposely punishing you for trying to read threads

thi sis a bit off topic but this constant necessity of interaction is by design to keep you Engaged

Facebook took it up hard in the last eighteen months too, scaled up almost every bit of their visual presentation to maximize Clicking-of-things and Scrolling actively

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

There are fields, Neo, endless fields where Tesla's are not sold... they are stored indefinitely.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

infernal machines posted:

huh. maybe desert dirt lots weren't the ideal storage solution after all

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I keep thinking about Ryan. He's working for free to foist off broken cars on hapless marks, taking time off from his day job at IGN, the least respectable publication in the least respectable segment of what could be called "journalism" if you've suffered brain damage, as the "Executive Editor of Previews" where he presumably just uploads whatever junket a publisher sends him and has an intern barf up 500 words about how great a youtube video from E3 of a video game is. He does all of this with an internet identity tied to when he used to be a guy who owned a specific piece of 80s nostalgia. This dude is just an amalgamated brand. He's barely alive. I'll bet dogs ignore him.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bushiz posted:

I keep thinking about Ryan. He's working for free to foist off broken cars on hapless marks, taking time off from his day job at IGN, the least respectable publication in the least respectable segment of what could be called "journalism" if you've suffered brain damage, as the "Executive Editor of Previews" where he presumably just uploads whatever junket a publisher sends him and has an intern barf up 500 words about how great a youtube video from E3 of a video game is. He does all of this with an internet identity tied to when he used to be a guy who owned a specific piece of 80s nostalgia. This dude is just an amalgamated brand. He's barely alive. I'll bet dogs ignore him.

Which would be worse? If he was a failson making a princely barely 5 figgies for it, but subsidized by parents, or if he actually makes six figures being such a waste of oxygen?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Trabisnikof posted:

I’d just assume that Teslas are flatbed only.

How do you get them off the flatbed?

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rex-Goliath posted:

you'll have to find an older version of the yospos tech bubble thread but believe me when i say we were ragging on him then too

This particular thread got started because like two thirds of Doomsday Economics thread were chatter about Tesla and musk, which got banned from that thread with that.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Megillah Gorilla posted:

One wheel at a time

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Tie them to a tree and drive the truck out from underneath.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Just wave a red cloth in front of them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

orcinus posted:

That's a nicer comparison, yeah, but even Sinclair wasn't completely clueless.
His first ventures were his own PCB designs, AFAIK.

There are some headbutting parallels for sure, tho.

Sinclair built the first mass-market digital watches and pocket calculators (as in actually designed the circuitry and built the prototypes by hand). He only turned into the proto-Musk "visionary" when Chris Curry spun off Acorn, although even then he did a far better job than Musk because he recognised his own limitations when it came to microcomputers and contented himself with futzing around with the case design.

Also - flawed as they were - the ZX line all shipped on-time, on-price, in massive numbers, and with a development cycle shorter than that loving stupid door handle design. He did go pure Musk after that though, the QL failing hilariously because he absolutely refused to listen to his engineers telling him the specs he made up on-the-fly at a press conference were not only impossible but actually contradictory (the retail price he promised for the QL was lower than just the parts cost, for example).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Can someone tell me if SpaceX is as utterly terrible as Tesla? Both companies are run by the muskrat but SpaceX can land rockets and reuse them which seems cool.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Can someone tell me if SpaceX is as utterly terrible as Tesla? Both companies are run by the muskrat but SpaceX can land rockets and reuse them which seems cool.

To work for? It has an appalling reputation. You'll find true beleivers online who freely admit that most engineers are expected to work 12 hour days but that's okay because personally they beleive in elon and anyone who doesnt is free to leave.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

underage at the vape shop posted:

To work for? It has an appalling reputation. You'll find true beleivers online who freely admit that most engineers are expected to work 12 hour days but that's okay because personally they beleive in elon and anyone who doesnt is free to leave.

well I’m not surprised but more asking about the technology/rockets they produce.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

gschmidl posted:

Those constant factory fires have more than made up for the electric car bit in emissions.

Also the emission credits sold to other carmakers so they could make more conventional ICE cars.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Elon Musk is getting arrested today.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

etalian posted:

Also how the media gave him such softball coverage while ignoring more boring things like the actual Tesla balance sheet and lack of any FCF.

also basically literally taking his or his immediate subordinates word for him being a genius with photographic memory who only sleeps 4 hours per night and works every waking moment because he's just so driven and unique and awesome

and soooo many loving idiots read these glowing pieces about him and are like "yeah sounds reasonable"

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

well I’m not surprised but more asking about the technology/rockets they produce.

Space-X works because they don't really disrupt technology, just the extreme stale economy of that particular market.

They use decades proven engine base (Soviet pioneered regeneratively cooled nozzle, etc), the tail-landing of boosters has been repeatedly tested and proven through the space race, the asparagus staging principle is the basically second major "thing" to figure out in Kerbal Space Programme as you're figuring out the engineering.

It's just; with so extremely few companies competing and massive stakes in failing big R&D or even infrastructure sunk costs of orbital launches, there was a lot of room of putting pretty well understood technology in use and undercutting others, granted you could fundrise enough of a bank to pull it off all at once. Unlike with cars, the competition was pretty much nonexistent, so even relatively conservative improvements could lead to massive savings.

Basically, the existing situation in the aerospace industry was so bad that as long as you don't use compressed $1000 banknotes as your rocket fuel, it's easy to do better and be kind of impressive finally making practical use of designs that were long done and begging to be put to use but the market wasn't willing to take the leap and hammer in the final bit of R&D to put it in actual use (the booster landing).

Another thing that people keep repeating and which seems kind of feasible is; Musk is legit managing to stay relatively uninvolved so actually sensible people get to do their work.

And one more thing is that the actually "I am putting up with this awful company because I want to see this poo poo happen" driven people who work there don't really have any other choice but to stick to Space-X because of how stale the competition is, meanwhile with Tesla; if you're some engineering hot stuff, there's half a dozen other car makers happy to have you to help with their EV car, with a better salary and some basic HR sanity, so Tesla has a massive turnover of people leaving for other car companies while in Space-X if you are in specifically for the rocketry, you don't have that much of a choice.

Also let me repeat the fact nobody knows for sure how economically successful Space-X actually is, as all their pricing is strictly secret and their long term profitability is even more so, so we don't actually know if they're meaningfully cheaper than the rest yet, and we don't know if whatever cost they're at is sustainable without combusting investor (government) money; Tesla is more transparently a dumpster fire in that sense.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Siljmonster posted:

inshallah

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

Siljmonster posted:

Don't cocktease like that.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i believe it is physically impossible to arrest elon musk

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

He'll boer a hole and escape.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i assume this got posted but i'm 400 posts behind

https://twitter.com/DMC_Ryan/status/1043223971477385216

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Siljmonster posted:

Even if by some miracle he was taken into custody I'm pretty sure he can post any bail and get out the country to go where they won't extradite him

orange sky
May 7, 2007

He'll just go do what he always wanted, to gently caress kids in Thailand. It was all projection

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

mandatory lesbian posted:

Even if by some miracle he was taken into custody I'm pretty sure he can post any bail and get out the country to go where they won't extradite him

banished from the us is just as good

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

The amazing engineers at Tesla designed brakes so advanced that they produce breaking force so powerful the suspension can't take it! This truly is the future.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

He hired experienced rocket people to design it and manage the company, so the product is ok. They are still doing the tesla thing of hiring true believers and working them to death for peanuts though. There is also the ever present concern that he may get more involved in his not failing business and micromanage it to death.

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

Elon Musk posted:

a friend who buys S/3/X

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

Elon Musk posted:

a friend who buys S/3/X

lmbo if it turns out elon this entire time has been self-sabotaging because he's been compromised by a horrific unimaginable AI, so he's doing more and more outlandish poo poo to try and get a message out.

and that message is to gently caress

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
hmmm who do I know that frequents prostitutes?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

gschmidl posted:

He'll boer a hole and escape.

I don't know if this is a typo or a well executed pun, but either way I want to make sure it did not go unnoticed.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Park a firetruck nearby.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Megillah Gorilla posted:

You wait for them to get hungry, then carefully lure them (careful not to startle them!) off the truck with a diesel generator.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Problem: If they get too hungry they will be unable to move and become completely inaccessible

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

breadcrumb trail of AA batteries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
reminder, if your car battery runs down completely, you can hook up an external 12v battery and hope enough of it boots that the door handles work, or smash the front window to get at the manual release inside the front door. (model 3)