Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
e: n/m

infernal machines has issued a correction as of 17:08 on Apr 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?

drat! That resolution is so bad. Couldn’t they afford a higher quality camera?

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

I didn't know Teslas had go go gadget wheels

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

It's just so weird, I've never seen a pic of any other car brand having whompy wheels but it seems to be a super common failure mode for teslas. Like what the hell did they do?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Mrs. Dash posted:

I didn't know Teslas had go go gadget wheels

i prefer to think of them as Rock'em Sock'em wheels

A Man With A Plan posted:

It's just so weird, I've never seen a pic of any other car brand having whompy wheels but it seems to be a super common failure mode for teslas. Like what the hell did they do?

They used poorly made aluminum struts for the wheels on a very, very heavy car

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

BEAR GRYLLZ posted:

can this loving idiot create a vehicle that doesn't randomly explode?

https://mobile.twitter.com/ShanghaiJayin/status/1119997229530406913

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

holy poo poo piss

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bushiz posted:

I'm still holding on to my desperate and stupid hope that this is all grimes' dark machinations and when the cops come to take elon away/he offs himself she just posts "keikaku" on twitter.

grimes loving sucks

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

infernal machines posted:

i prefer to think of them as Rock'em Sock'em wheels

They used poorly made aluminum struts for the wheels on a very, very heavy car

But why is it still happening? I can't imagine they have some giant stockpile of struts that they're working through. I know the answer is "lol QC and testing" but it just boggles my mind

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lazy Broker posted:

as much as I hate on SpaceX, I'm going to give them a pass on this one, because it's probable that it could be a sacrificial camera, so why spend the money?

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Tesla Quality Control

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

But why is it still happening? I can't imagine they have some giant stockpile of struts that they're working through. I know the answer is "lol QC and testing" but it just boggles my mind

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM MY ID INTO THE SLOT. IT’S TESLA AUTOMOTIVE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I'M HEAD BUTTING THE STRUTS ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, WHOMPY

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Lazy Broker posted:

They just used one of the TSLA self driving cameras off the shelf. Saves money

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

kalensc posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM MY ID INTO THE SLOT. IT’S TESLA AUTOMOTIVE AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I'M HEAD BUTTING THE STRUTS ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, WHOMPY

I TWEET EVERY MEME AND I TWEET EVERY MEME HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I INSTA BLOCK SOME TSLAQ BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I CALL YOU PEDO. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED THE SEC'S MOST DANGEROUS CONTRACT. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO SHEEP IN MY TWITTER FEED AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE BLOGGERS AND JOURNALISTS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE SPENT ALL THE LOANS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY FINANCES LESS STABLE BY OWNING MY SELF. FOUR TWENTY FUNDING IS SECURED EVERY MORNIng

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

iospace posted:

as much as I hate on SpaceX, I'm going to give them a pass on this one, because it's probable that it could be a sacrificial camera, so why spend the money?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFwqZ4qAUkE

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

kalensc posted:

FOUR TWENTY FUNDING IS SECURED EVERY MORNIng

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Bushiz posted:

I'm still holding on to my desperate and stupid hope that this is all grimes' dark machinations and when the cops come to take elon away/he offs himself she just posts "keikaku" on twitter.

grimes has always been an idiot
see: houseboat, desire to find an Authority to submit to (subsets AI, elon's magic jizz), and last but not least her entire persona

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I understand your argument, but I also think there's a slight difference between a launch and a test.

Alternately:

Goodpancakes posted:

They just used one of the TSLA self driving cameras off the shelf. Saves money

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

quote:

seasoned metal musicians who share a passion for technological advancement

Translators note: reject session musicians so irreparably strait-laced they chose a CEO as their conceptual core.

Kitfox88 posted:

the pictures are specifically of a brother and his younger sister but get this: they aren’t blood related so it’s ok

Oh. Oh jeez.

Laopooh
Jul 15, 2000

berth ell pup posted:

god same. the world is just so loving stupid anymore.

where did the dignity and decorum go?

There never was any dignity and decorum though?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Laopooh posted:

There never was any dignity and decorum though?

The Nuremberg trials were the last good decision and did not nearly go far enough.

Teal
Feb 25, 2013

by Nyc_Tattoo

:tesla:

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

gschmidl posted:

The Nuremberg trials were the last good decision and did not nearly go far enough.

Albert Speer. Head nazi of building and organizing be like "I knew nothing of killings! and escaped the noose.

Meanwhile you got opinion pieces in the local newspapers where working class women complain that they need to start burning the jews at night instead because the smell from the crematoria is so dreadful.

They should have done Hess too so he didn't live on to become a modern time nazi martyr.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Changing or improving the design would require admitting there was something wrong with it to begin with, and I suspect you can guess what'd happen to anyone who so tampered with Musk's impossibly perfect vision.

Katt posted:

Albert Speer. Head nazi of building and organizing be like "I knew nothing of killings! and escaped the noose.

Speer didn't claim he never knew anything, just that he didn't know everything plus it was all Himmler's fault but he still took responsibility for his own bit (which he lied about and downplayed mercilessly). Had all the other Nazis tried the same tactic the tribunal would've more easily seen it for the dodge it was and he'd probably have hanged alongside the others, but they weren't even clever enough to try it.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 19:38 on Apr 21, 2019

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Two reasons... the main one is their forging process is such poo poo that they're basically making aluminum foam (tons of air gaps...you want as few as possible) and that sort of thing takes serious consideration to fix and they show zero desire to. The other aspect is that tesla has claimed that is a sacrificial part to prevent frame damage which would cause the vehicle to be totaled.

So the thinking goes it is better to have your strut sheer off from a pothole and that costing a few grand than to have that same pothole total your car. Ofc the parts supply issues make it much better for the customer for it to be totalled so they can at least get a payout (and [more] insane premiums going forward).

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Raldikuk posted:

The other aspect is that tesla has claimed that is a sacrificial part to prevent frame damage which would cause the vehicle to be totaled.

obv tesla ect but does the whompy wheels mode of failure ever not total the car?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Kitfox88 posted:

the pictures are specifically of a brother and his younger sister but get this: they aren’t blood related so it’s ok

You're kidding, right?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Bip Roberts posted:

obv tesla ect but does the whompy wheels mode of failure ever not total the car?

And risk the passengers' lives and more from losing control, compared to the frame damage route

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Bip Roberts posted:

Yeah, almost certainly... but that is the justification muskivites tell themselves to convince themselves it is another example of tesla's amazing engineering lol

Though I think Tesla finally recently did actually admit there was a problem with the struts...and issued it as a guidance that owners should fix it on their own time lmfao

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Lazy Broker posted:

Pretty sure its a recording of a recording (if not another of another recording of a recording). When SpaceX releases footage of their failures, its usually through approved channels and at least high quality. And never on the day of the incident (the best quality footage available of AMOS-6 exploding is from an independent person filming- we've never gotten anything official from SpaceX itself). Its likely recorded by someone who then uploaded it independently.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Okan170 posted:

Pretty sure its a recording of a recording (if not another of another recording of a recording). When SpaceX releases footage of their failures, its usually through approved channels and at least high quality. And never on the day of the incident (the best quality footage available of AMOS-6 exploding is from an independent person filming- we've never gotten anything official from SpaceX itself). Its likely recorded by someone who then uploaded it independently.

yeah its this, you can see it sway around a little bit, someones recording a screen.

its an opsec way of leaking poo poo

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Raldikuk posted:

Yeah, almost certainly... but that is the justification muskivites tell themselves to convince themselves it is another example of tesla's amazing engineering lol

Though I think Tesla finally recently did actually admit there was a problem with the struts...and issued it as a guidance that owners should fix it on their own time lmfao

that fix is actually for a completely different defectively manufactured bit of of the suspension.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Wheany posted:

You're kidding, right?

It's anime.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iospace posted:

I understand your argument, but I also think there's a slight difference between a launch and a test.

There is a difference: a test needs even more instrumentation.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

maybe it's just the resolution but that tire looks like it's been totally roached so it wouldn't surprise me if the people busting their wheels are pushing the car and they're just the first wave of fuckups and the more normal wear on cars that experience more normal driving habits will take a few years to start busting suspensions

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

SpaceGoku posted:

maybe it's just the resolution but that tire looks like it's been totally roached so it wouldn't surprise me if the people busting their wheels are pushing the car and they're just the first wave of fuckups and the more normal wear on cars that experience more normal driving habits will take a few years to start busting suspensions

Yeah but people have been going ham on their cars since forever, and you dont see Mitsubishi Eclipses losing entire drivetrains when they get bumped or a Nissan that costs 60% of the cars value to fix a fender bender

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

because aluminum is a really lovely material for a strut that must have only been selected because some idiot engineer who flunked out of car design was like "must reduce unsprung mass" and elon musk, who is equally as flunky and thinks fail deadly is a good design philosophy, bought onto it

like even if a company that had a vague understanding of qaqc was doing it, there would still be really loving high failure rates

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

ynohtna posted:

Oh. Oh jeez.

Wheany posted:

You're kidding, right?

I mean, I'm not saying that Grimes and Elon are weirdos taking something out of context, the brother and high school-aged sister (not by blood so it's okay) want to gently caress in the anime too. So it's fine. Cause they're not actually related. Anime.

hallebarrysoetoro posted:

because aluminum is a really lovely material for a strut that must have only been selected because some idiot engineer who flunked out of car design was like "must reduce unsprung mass" and elon musk, who is equally as flunky and thinks fail deadly is a good design philosophy, bought onto it

like even if a company that had a vague understanding of qaqc was doing it, there would still be really loving high failure rates

'We're innovators and rulebreakers who know better than a century's worth of automotive industry knowledge, now watch me design this trunk.'

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i hate music again