Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

This reminds me of that solar road project that seems really cool until you realize that a lot of road traffic isn't your Honda Civic and has poo poo like gravel or god forbid studded tires and the panels would get beat to poo poo within a week.

People with good intentions who have no loving clue what life is like outside of their very narrow experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

I'm brainstorming for a quick column about what a fraud musk is, thinking about using three or four examples. So far I can think of the submarine in Thailand, his hyperloop, and his virus response. Any other gently caress ups I might want to include?

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

:bisonyes:

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

BMan posted:

- Neuralink
- Mars colony
- Non-functional starlink satellites
- Crumbling "loop" tunnel
- Full self driving/robotaxis
- Solarcity acquisition just to bail out his cousin
- Tesla fake safety statistics
- Tesla "founder" revisionist history
- Fake solar roof tiles
- Monty python tower made of tunnel dirt bricks (actually metal tower with brick veneer)

Thank you. This should be great. I try to focus my work on environment, arts and policy. This is a good angle of both fake environmental solutions and the problem with looking to single individuals for those solutions.

Like with Chicago, instead of investing in increased public transit infrastructure to the airport they buy into this poo poo.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

I got stuck on a ski lift with a Elon musk fan. Kid must have been in his mid to late teens. I brought up all the dumb as poo poo things that Elon musk has "invented" and the utterly presidential poo poo he says. Kid took it ready personally and stopped talking to me.

Lol

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Adopting left talking points to justify my competition not getting government subsidies that my billions are from

Is he even doing that though? I thought that the tax breaking only was available if the vehicle was certified Union made in America

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

trucutru posted:

So not only you get electricity but also free sunlight? love the panel!

Not even that. It looks like it just destroyed the sheetrock. The roof is still there, it just is more like a colander now

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

commando in tophat posted:

There is also this problem with "machine learning", "artificial intelligence" and "neural network", that laymen think they understand what it means, because it sounds so simple and obvious, while in reality machine doesn't really learn anything as human would, it doesn't have intelligence to use what it would learn, and the neural network is so simplistic and tiny that it most likely cannot learn anything as human would. Yet my father seems convinced that world ruling true AI could be developed any second now by some dude in a garage

When my cousin got his first smartphone in around 2010/2011, even I could see that Siri was just responding to the most basic if-then statements and couldn't actually put any complex decisions together. But he was so impressed that his phone could call him "God King Sam"

I generally appreciate certain workflow automations that have come from having smarter machines, but I also know that there's no loving replacements at this stage of the game for a human brain. Machines can only do complex tasks with the very best of conditions set up for them because they simply can't account for all the variables in the way a human can

It's still all binary trees

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

i use switches and buttons & dont have hot mics in my home

Same here in my life doesn't feel at all diminished

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

infernal machines posted:

i like having a light that turns on when i flick the switch, regardless of whether AWS us-east-1 is responding today

poo poo my wifi router burned out guess I won't have light in my home for 18 hrs

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

You guys know the switch still works physically even if the internet is down

Now Harmony hubs, those can be some bullshit

Giving you a hard time about it, but I mostly poking fun at the people who IOT their entire homes. It's the kind of oblivious "the internet and technology can only make things better" mindset that ignores why things exist as the do.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Every smart switch also just acts like a normal switch when used like a normal switch.

I think the problem everyone sees with this, and most of the other things in this thread is that their solutions in search of problems and they're often not great solutions at that. Home automation stuff is pretty benign, but when you think about the energy it takes design and where that could have been better applied to real issues, it's frustrating to think about. I don't think anyone's mad at people that use iot things, but there's a certain degree to which we see that and shake our heads thinking about what else was possible

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Well if it costs more it must be better, that's just science.

Re: the home automation, I generally think it's benign, but poo poo like sensored lights or programmable thermostats have been around for a long time and never need a wifi connection. I also think poo poo like putting a touch screen and camera in your fridge is presidential

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Is this just lifted from the London subway map?

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I've been ranting about Tesla quality for years, but that didn't stop my brother from buying one and my parents being enamored with it.

It's surprising since growing up I was told my dad would disown me if I ever came home with a Volkswagen. I really don't get it.

US consumer culture is really loving weird. I'm not sure if it's like this anywhere else in the world and I don't think it is, but but the way we attach our identities to the products we buy and the brands we associate with is a driving factor for the US economy.

Even looking back at the power tool discussion earlier you can kind of see it. Goons are a little more savvy and less blindly loyal to brands, but it still is there. I use Makita tools some of my colleagues use Milwaukee tools, some use DeWalt. I think that by and large all three of those brands are on level and I don't get all up in arms about bagging on Milwaukee users or DeWalt users.

Imo American corporations and marketers have done a great job of tapping into consumer tribalism and managed to irreparably damage our culture in the process

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

Model Y heat pump is some of the best engineering I’ve seen in a while. Team did next-level work.

I genuinely thought this was some Geiger art piece as a joke.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Waffle House posted:

I'm glad to see other auto makers getting into the market, and after all the twitter showboating and resulting failure, it's going to be interesting to see Tesla try to stay competitive. Like I got an email about Toyota/Subaru's EV, the bZ4X/Solterra, expected to go for $45k and has a range of 220 miles and I'm like

poo poo

I'd drive an electric Forester

I'm basically waiting for this. Subaru makes great conventional motors so I think they'll do their homework on an electric engine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

Shugojin posted:

Yeah when I say that it's because it's the single greatest difference between a human and The Car. The human knows that that red car from 10 seconds ago was driving like an rear end in a top hat and merits special attention, where The Car has already forgotten.

I had to explain this to some friends over the weekend who didn't really understand the difference between AI as it exists in ai and science fiction, and it really blew their minds. It's hard to overstate the degree to which people don't understand the limits of computers these days because tech marketing has done such a number on our culture.