Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
An acquintance is coming out as a tesla fan.. direct quote:

'while you could argue that because Tesla is zero-profit currently, they are absolutely not a scam. First real public all-electric car manufacturer in the world and they've got some of the most sensationally powered cars out there...... not to mention all the other stuff they're doing in the solar energy space'

How do I best explain that it's bullshit? Or do I even bother? It's becoming kind of cult-like at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

I explained about the sauds buying out Teslas staggering economy to give them respite and asked what exactly they had innovated wrt solar power. Let's see where it goes!

Tias
May 25, 2008

It's getting better!

'except the Sauds didn't buy Tesla out because Elon didn't take the company private... they were just willing to. As it happens, in order to keep the company afloat, Elon Musk has shoved in a ton of his own money and bought more shares in the company to give it the much-needed injection of funds until Tesla can get its manufacture and delivery schedules more under control.
And in terms of solar, Tesla has released at least two 'powerwall' home storage options, their own solar panels (and solar roof tiles), they're revolutionising lithium-ion batteries and Elon Musk built a giant battery and solar farm in South Australia that's outperforming fossil fuels in basically every way that matters.'

Trying to get her to explain why the loop is good idea now.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I'll have you know I keep my subversive activities somehow set in the late Cold War entirely separate from my cruising also somehow set in the late Cold War, thank you very much.

I once visited a sex club that had a perfect replica of a late cold war East German police station interrogation room, complete with portrait of Honecker. Only explanation I ever got was that the designer had some rather exact kinks.

Tias
May 25, 2008

bird with big dick posted:

did you nut in it

it weirded my boner away. I like to think I'm adventurous, but that poo poo is next level

Tias
May 25, 2008

Colostomy Bag posted:

What is the address?

Its the play cellar for a group called SMUG here in Copenhagen, Denmark.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Nocturtle posted:

Why are Norweigians so relatively eager for Teslas? That must be one of the worst possible European countries for a car that has trouble with winter driving conditions.

massive demograph of tech dweebs, buttcoin is also huge there, to the point where they asked the government to subsidize server farms :eng99:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Uh we've all read Red Mars here, growing up on the red planet will just turn you into a sexy polyamorous 10 foot tall anarcho-communist.

If you survive multiple attempts by the multinational (now multiplanetary) corps to loving murder you it's a pretty swell life, yes.

(don't forget immortal and anarcho-primitivist :v: Man, it's such a good trilogy. )

Tias
May 25, 2008

Tias
May 25, 2008

Can someone explain the apartheid clyde thing? Like, I get the apartheid part but not the Clyde one.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

The opening line to “Rock for sustainable capitalism” is about him and it’s a p good song.
https://youtu.be/3j7LPVobyQQ

I thought it was about Lars Frederiksen?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Always at your service for useless punk rock trivia :shivdurf:

Dr. Kayak Paddle posted:

I'm wrong, the Dexter Holland hate was in the liner notes of the album, the opening line is about Fat Mike. Still a good song.

That's the "when did punk rock become so safe" line, taken from Separation of Church and Skate

Tias
May 25, 2008

double post

Tias
May 25, 2008

cumshitter posted:

next time a wolfenstien game or dlc gets released check out the steam community page forum for whatever it is

its just a bunch of people who definitely arent nazis whining about antifa and how normalizing violence against people for their political beliefs is wrong. they are just concerned citizens

My absolutely favorite thing in W:New Colossus is infiltrating the high command in Roswell and sneaking up on two nazi elite soldiers loudly wondering why the terrorist insurgency would do them harm, and agree with great resolve in the voice that violence is always wrong lol

Tias
May 25, 2008

Mystic Mongol posted:

And then you brutally murder both of them!

They're nazis, what was I supposed to do :shobon:

But, seriously, at this point they have occupied all of the United States, and are brutally murdering lgbt folks and communists, forcing everyone to speak German and letting the Klu Klux Klan run things.

It's a pretty neat jab at 'concerned citizen' fash, imo

Tias
May 25, 2008

quote:

But betting against a company that works as hard, fast, and with as much urgency as this

So hard and fast :ughh:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Discussing with a (otherwise smart guy who is unsympathetic to Tesla) dude who says they don't "kill people like VWs dieselgate scandal". Are there somewhere one can easily see fatalities caused by Tesla that would be avoided if one had just used a real car?

Tias
May 25, 2008

is there an overview of those cases somewhere?

Tias
May 25, 2008

A friend turns out to be a Musk rat, takes the different tack that Musk has asperger and should actually be admired for taking us to Mars in spite of his heavy attention/social skill challenges.

Can I show him some kind of actual engineer taking apart the ridiculous claims that Musk will take anything to the red planet?

Tias
May 25, 2008

etalian posted:

They want their own personal space ork assault boats.

Few things would be as moto as combat drops from orbit - it's win win too since the US army doesn't feel obligated to compensate people for injuries.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Platystemon posted:

Sane people know that “carbon capture” is snake oil.

There is no better way to store carbon than deep underground as coal or oil.

As someone who works with this, capturing carbon has a concrete effect in limiting global warming.

That said, no one should think it can replace not digging up coal and oil, whiiich is probably what you were getting at, so sorry if I got you wrong.

Tias
May 25, 2008

what if.. I told you there's a machine that can create nitrogen fertilizer at room temperature using one atmosphere of pressure, compared to the 2000 degrees C and 15 atmospheres pressure scrub human plants are using now, huh???

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pidgin Englishman posted:

If only it also generated an edible by product.

All the best machines double as snacks :getin:

Tias
May 25, 2008

Kitfox88 posted:

the human body is a machine... :thunk:

we jest, but I am ab so loving lutely certain politicians will suggest soylent rations before climate reform.

Tias
May 25, 2008

A bazinga gave me this: https://www.businessinsider.com/why-tesla-model-3-received-5-star-crash-test-rating-2019-10?r=US&IR=T

Are they just shills or what? It can't account for all the whompy wheels..

E: Is there a good repository of "still love the car" tweet screencaps anywhere? I want to post some at this idiot

Tias has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Nov 24, 2019

Tias
May 25, 2008

AlbieQuirky posted:

Business Insider is a total shill machine, but I think it’s true that the Model 3 performs as well on crash safety tests as every other car.

Crash safety tests test for a relatively small set of accident outcomes, and as the thing says, having the engine in the back gives you an advantage in tests designed for front-engine vehicles.

It's more or less uphill with this guy, he's all like "I HAVE AN ENGINEERING DEGREE SO I NEED FACTS" but keeps posting links from shill sites.

Tias
May 25, 2008

This bazinga goes on, man..

Now he says Msuk has a master in physics, so he knows a lot about engineering, and also that he didn't buy into Tesla with his familys money. Where's the proof?

Tias
May 25, 2008

SpaceGoku posted:

"ah, drat, there's nothing billionaires can do to help people now" I say, as I see musk make an rear end of himself in court

Unironically a correct take, especially compared with taxation of their income - but figures that the Chonkycult equates anything less than letting Musk do exactly what he wants and fawning over it a problem.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Simple but nice Canadian libertarian acquaintance just posted about the launch of a 'Kacific' sattelite designed to poo poo super nice broadband onto us from orbit. Exaclty how dumb is it? I know it's 'very very dumb', but I haven't had the full downlow yet.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Lol, I just found out today that Grimes picked her artist name because of Myspace's programming. You can list 3 genres you listen to in the profile template, and she picked 'grime' three times, admitting that she didn't know what grime was and had never heard it :eng99:

In other news, my girlfriend is, while not musking all in, pretty adamant that the Tesla isn't a complete piece of poo poo, as if it is cleared to drive in our euro country that has extremely high safety standards, it can't have a battery that catches on fire in a snap. We haven't had any fatalities here, so I'm not quite sure what to tell her - what would you?

Tias has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Mar 18, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

baka kaba posted:

they seem very badly designed and built op. does your euro country have "weather"?

Well, she says they wouldn't be allowed to drive here in Denmark if they could catch fire on their own.

Tias
May 25, 2008

wi-fi enabled ventilation apps that kill you while making a fart noise :science:

Tias
May 25, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

I know a good number of people that bought a Tesla because of a combination of hype, EV, and safety.

What's safe about it?

Tias
May 25, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

yeah it's kind of shocking. People are even calling out the "well he founded PayPal" bit

Didn't he? I'm dealing with a bazinga right this morning who said that he 'made X.com' so if you have some proof to the contrary I'd love to wipe his stupid face in it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

The Glumslinger posted:

So wait, Jordan Peterson was blitzed out of his mind on benzos the whole time he was the alt-rights philosopher of choice because he told them to make their bed?

JP is a psych prof specializing in addiction medicine, still gets addicted to loving benzos, goes to Russia so he can have his benzo withdrawal treated with strong illegal antipsychotics because he's a wimp, and ends up in a coma. This should teach us all something about how dumb Jorp is, which is, loving colossally dumb.

Tias
May 25, 2008

ToxicAcne posted:

I wonder if the average person in the early 20th century actually worshipped people like Rockefeller or Carnegie. Also how much is the cokehead Elon thing true vs being a meme?

As a former active drug addict who counsels other folks in active addiction: Probably. He has admitted to LSD and weed (maybe research chems? I can't remember), and could well be tweaking too - but there's no way of saying for sure. It actually might not be coke, he seems to genuinely exhibit the unending confidence of mediocre white guys born into wealth without chemical aid.

Tias
May 25, 2008

baka kaba posted:

he's some random dude with nothing interesting to say except he's rich and has a platform

Clocks posted:

What I don't get and generally kind of annoys me is anyone giving musk any kind of platform or credence for all his dumb ideas anyway. He's literally not actually knowledgeable in any of these areas but because he's a rich failson who buys good publicity he gets to keep spouting off.

This isn't really true. What he has to say is interesting, because clearly it interests some people who retweet, buy teslas and generally poo poo up the ether - it's just that those people are really loving dumb, and there are apparently more of them than ever.

Stefan Prodan posted:

could just be adderall

My thought as well. He probably heard it helps you think, and never looked back

Tias
May 25, 2008

Bushiz posted:

Grimes waited til late January to announce the pregnancy so yeah they were absolutely gonna abort that thing if it was a girl

Dunking on Grimes is inviting (and too easy), but she is absolutely trapped in an abusive relationship with a narcissistic psychopath (and one with no self awareness at that) - she needs help.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Siljmonster posted:

Nah, she doesn't.

COVID-420 posted:

time to load into your pedo subs and DIVE DIVE DIVE

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1262076474565242880?r

You were saying..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Nah religion is too dumb and illogical for I love science people like ol musky and fans

I don't know, sending a lander to scoop up Mars dirt and then selling it as snake oil would be pretty on brand. Just say it contains mind expanding spice or performance enhancing whatever, and his poo poo head fans would literally eat it up.