Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Replacing hardware safety systems with software is a good idea. Do not Google Therac 25

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

The ultimate example we use in nuclear software QA. It's why I hate Musk

Systems that affect human life need full quality control

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I won't say where and what I do but I have a very good reason to hate Musk. Let's just say I know Pickering and Bruce

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

But like Ford and GM and Toyota realize Requirements Design development testing

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Dunno who those are but I hate them. Gl

We did more for clean energy than Musk will. More clean energy than TVA.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Animal Friend posted:

By phoning in software, they turned a medical device into a war-crime capable super weapon.

What the gently caress

Yeah that's one of the in worst examples. People got bombarded with massive beta radiation cause no one really tested anything

The self driving car tech Tesla deploys makes me feel the same way. No one really tested this

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

if he could get away with even less he would and probably does

didn't they stop tracking parts and get whistleblown about it

Guh

So they don't know who made what and to what standards?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I'm annoyed at the people insisting Tesla came up with flush handles

Next they'll probably say Tesla came up with gullwing doors

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Nenonen posted:

AJC is just one of good ol' Henry Ford's subsidiary's

Henry Ford had many international subsidiaries in this area. He even wrote a book about them, I hear

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I just love when people come up with overcomplicated software solutions to replace hardware locks. Please do not Google the Therac 25

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

This may be a computer toucher comment but I feel his attempt at PayPal to replace Linux servers (proven technology, old, what everyone uses) with Windows NT 4.0 servers (janky as hell, costs more) says too too much about the guy

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Zerg Mans posted:

love the "huh this idiot that loves expensive boondoggles that can hurt people very badly if they are mismanaged (they are always mismanaged) is actually correct about nuclear power!" takes

probably not the place but I wouldn't really compare what private monstrosity Musk would have in mind (no regulators, no rules) with, say, China or France or other publicly owned nuclear generators in North America

disclaimer - have worked with Bruce

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Elon Musk getting crushed to death during a live event by one of his new grift machines would be something I would take as proof god exists

May I interest you in what happened to Thomas Midgley (inventor of leaded gasoline, knew it was horribly poisonous, and of CFCs)

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

What if I get one of the cars from a real car company that believes in QA and Functional Safety instead

I work with IEC 61508 and Bruce and Opg-N but it's cousin is ISO 26262. And holy poo poo GM put me through the paces to get in.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Epic bazinga man

Also as someone who does reliability QA what the gently caress why didn't that guy start looking into Lemon law after repair ... 5?

And 60k will get you a nice Lexus, Acura, Mustang-E... Lol. Real cars with real quality

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

thatfatkid posted:

how anyone can fall for this braindead oval office is beyond me, just a constant stream of borderline retarded incoherent ramblings

ugh right at the end the host claims musk is saving the world and musk then claims him being a billionaire that runs companies "which are saving the world" is philanthropy. gently caress I hate him so much and his fake saviour image

Yeah that's the thing. As much as say Gates was evil he made actual software and made a major innovation (let's integrate documents, spreadsheets, and presentations). Musk has done nothing

As much as we hate it ms office was a major step

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

FAUXTON posted:

he probably loathes actual Paul Allen irl for the same reasons

He can hate Ballmer instead, who actually seems to have found something that fulfills him

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

I didn’t watch it. I haven’t watched SNL for years. I just watch clips when I hear they’re actually funny. I doubt anything Clyde was in was remotely funny. I’m sure he’s up there with Seagal as one of the worst hosts they’ve ever had.

This is really the only right answer. Some people just aren't comedians (I think Gretzky), but Seagal refused to get over himself

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

It's good for prototyping and getting an idea of what you want to do. If you need speed you'll need to start writing extensions in C++ or something. But I mean Django, numpy, scipy >>>> anything web3 devs have ever made

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

only good programming language is C and C++. Gotta go fast fam

(You can write extensions for python in those!)

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The living embodiment of Reddit lol

OT: I can't see Dave Rubin, remember Michael Brooks, and think someone up in heaven made a fat finger error

Musk thinking the guy overwhelmed by high level ideas and that gamers are the only people who value achievements says a lot

Isentropy has issued a correction as of 16:13 on Apr 28, 2022

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

infernal machines posted:

they also just operated illegally in every market they opened in until they were too big to shut down, and then they bought the legislation to make their service legal.

their entire business model is "we built an app and passed the entire cost of operation on to the contractors who use it" and somehow they're still not profitable

And knowingly so right up to blacklisting regulators from being able to hail them using geofencing

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

lol funny enough a lot of his favourite intellectualls** literally can't be seen in France or Germany

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

there is one good billionaire but he largely hosed off to get super hyped and watch his Clippers

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

antipattern posted:

Elong has been regularly flouting regulations and breaking laws with essentially zero consequences. What's stopping him from ignoring the agreement if he doesn't want to buy twitter? Who's willing to enforce it? It would be great content if he was forced to buy, but I doubt that's how it's going to play out.

loving over webdevs is one thing, loving over Saudi Princes and major banks is another whole game

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

He's being overwhelmed by high level ideas. why did Brooks leave and these people stay

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

I was thinking about this recently.

I know this is getting into tea leaves reading, but Elon's dead silence about the breakup has very strong "I hosed up in a very intense way and am happy to never bring it up again" energy to it.

her mom is a senior member of the Canadian political and media class, if you want to go even further down that road

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Always replace hardware safety systems with software safety systems, what's the worst that can happen

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

As someone familiar with IEC 61508/26662 this thread is giving me loving panic attacks

Releasing software that raw and not making it really loving clear it's beta software and people can die is a crime

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

I don't think it's possible per se, but it would be funny if Twitter got the treble damage award Trump got when he sued the NFL

three dollars

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

NHTSA has actual automotive and forensic engineers. With this Twitter poo poo the epic bazinga man might not be able to have the money to stop them

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Or American? As late as 2011-13? I was literally signing to pay with a CC.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

19 o'clock posted:

cross quote:

that's a major Canadian highway, poo poo could have gotten bad fast

also that pizza ad is the Canadian version of Kars for Kids in terms of how stuck it is in everyone's mind

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Jeff bought this site I'd imagine because he was independtly fine and it's a part of history. Like running a museum or art gallery if you bought a social media site to make dollars you already lost

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Why didn't they just put a camera in the prototype and drive it to a UCLA or USC game as a promo?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

This is sub Morrowind graphics

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

euphronius posted:

69% obviously

69.420% but you're about right

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Three Olives posted:

I actually think the cringe humor is on purpose to feed his cult.

Normal sane people: That isn't funny, clearly bad, what is wrong with you?
Cult: That is amazing, good job sir, you know, Musk is working on a level far above you normies that just don't get the joke and how funny it is. But me, I get it, therefor, I am operating on somewhat the same level as Musk because our superior brains get the joke.

I say he might be right. Consider how much of the right is run by ODD - "gently caress off dad" - at the moment

Seeing everyone sane yell at them might scratch that itch

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Lol you're being mean it'll have Candace Owens! Someone so diverse she doesn't have any black people to do her hair anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Michael Bayleaf posted:

this made me come back to somethingawful lol. that site has funny people but it also sucks a whole lot. also I'm trans so screw dealing with the constant hate that's coming

Reject modernity, return to goatse