Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I thought muskrats were aquatic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

ive got it! what about a kind of app where you can put in a request on your phone and someone will show up and shoot a poor person you saw

911 already exists dude

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Feranon posted:

and in those years not one of our glorious billionaire job creator ubermensch have even considered just giving flint the goddamn money. the closest thing is that elon tweet and you know he's not gonna fix it unless he can show off what a brain genius he is, meaning it'd be some worthless shitass "solution" like the child death tube.

just point out pipes are tubes lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jobs was a tremendous rear end in a top hat but he ALSO paid a ton of attention to detail and the user experience.

Musk doesn't care about the actual car quality, just keeping the hype train going.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

fun thing i just found out about paypal

Paypal has a lot of weird poo poo going on outside the US

I do business with Ethiopians and they can use paypal, but only to send money, not to receive it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rudatron posted:

If he's a cave diver then maybe he's working in the tourist industry there

You know, on account of all of those caves, you can dive in

If he's responsible for recreational diving, then Elon will have to team up with the SEA PATROL

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

They should send a poet except we defunded the humanities in favor of stem

Tesla defunded stem in favor of the most profitable of the humanities, marketing.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

the essence of musk

a perfume that's a little like new car smell, and a lot like burning plastic

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

come to think of it I haven't seen LoB around lately

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Waffle House posted:

...why's the depreciation so bad? I do want one, hearing that, but wow

leafs have trouble with battery lifespan

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Waffle House posted:

The new generation looks better, and maybe a little more range-suited to my daily delivery route, but I live in an apartment, alas

The first generation doesn't seem like a good bet

the first gen is a lot better than the second generation

http://www.futurecar.com/2118/Study-Finds-Nissan-Leaf-Battery-Degrades-Quicker-than-Expected

quote:

Key findings indicate that, after two years of age, the 30 kWh battery declined an average of 9.9% percent annually. By comparison, the 24 kWh battery declined 3.1% annually. The study concludes by saying the degradation rate of the 30 kWh is too rapid to be considered normal.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

just stabilize the hydrogen chemically, perhaps by binding it to some element that can attach multiple hydrogen atoms, like carbon :thunk:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

why buy ikea when there is lots of perfectly good furniture on the side of the road

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

logikv9 posted:

I looked away from my monitor for a second and my Posting Autopilot just posted thirty three pages of racist rants. Despite this I am still a Loyal Customer

that's the new roguelike with social permadeath

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

redneck nazgul posted:

a goon dying helped give us trump, would you be surprised?

combined with a goon who set up an email server

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bushiz posted:

Get me in on that pm, brother.

:same:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pidgin Englishman posted:

Ah yes, why save carbon emissions for a net monetary gain when you could make even more by cutting fat from reducing wages and pushing people from jobs.

:hmmyes:

I mean solar panels as a whole only became net energy positive in 2016, before then it cost more energy to manufacture solar panels than they produced in total.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

that's not true at all, pv energy payback has been less than 5 years for a long while: https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy04osti/35489.pdf

Early solar panels were hella inefficient and net negative; it's taken quite a while to overcome that.

https://phys.org/news/2016-12-solar-panels-repay-energy-debt.html

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1028074217793679360

The "I was hacked" defense?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

twoday posted:

The car compamy is on fire
And there is no driver at the wheel

We didn't start the fire
But my car is burning
And the wheels aren't turning

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

should stick some batteries in the hinges lol

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Al! posted:

a pretty good metaphor for tesla

Not exactly - 11'8 is a situation where they've gone to considerable effort to fix things

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Lote posted:

I bet there’s going to be a ton more people with dementia ending up halfway across the country because there’s no need to take their keys away now.

Dementia, drunk, same difference

https://slate.com/technology/2018/03/an-inebriated-man-accidentally-traveled-over-300-miles-in-an-uber.html

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

rapeface posted:

Guys, I have pub trivia, please give me a good team name.

the big glove

that way when you win the announcer will say "let's give a big hand... to the big glove!"

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Lol I think it's implying that elevated serum lead levels makes you violent which is really dumb. Lead poisoning is bad but it is like, regular non-sensationalism kinds of bad: macrocytic anemia, GI cramps and persistent cognitive impairment, etc. It doesn't make you into a Dylan Klebold

Lead poisoning resulting in increased aggression is well documented in the literature.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kommienzuspadt posted:

I don't disbelieve you, but at least in my sprint of skimming through the abstracts in the UTD article I'm mostly seeing longterm impairment of IQ/socioeconomic status/other similar markers of achievement. Nothing specifically on aggression. Do you have a link?

Here's one cohort analysis.

It seems like adult exposure is somewhat different - for instance, this one shows a correlation with elevated hostility but not with aggression for people who got lead poisoning from regularly going to shooting ranges

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Corek posted:

Serious question how are those different things :thunk:

Buss-Perry has separate scores for hostility, anger, physical aggression, and verbal aggression. It might be a bit too granular.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Thats interesting. 5ng/mL is low, IIRC, I think I remember learning that 10ng/mL was the cutoff for symptomatic presentation

I actually had my lead levels drawn wrong time ago, I think they were ok!

I always wonder what poo poo we are doing to ourselves that we will regret 30 years from now.

My bet is antibiotic overuse. Aside from antibiotic resistance, they also seriously gently caress your gut flora, and there's a shitload of diseases that are now being linked to gut flora problems.

Like, even things where the link isn't at all obvious. A recent study showed that fecal transplants relieved many autism symptoms for a couple years in kids.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hostess Snack Cake posted:

my intuition is that if a major company insists that their product is totally safe, then it is definitely killing people

eh, vaccines

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah, surveyed once, had their orbit calculated, and then never looked at again. There aren't sensors trained on all asteroids at all times because once you have their orbit mapped they really shouldn't change where they're going at all, so there's no need for constant active surveillance. If you want to know where something is just look at where the computer says it's supposed to be based on simulating it's orbit forward from the last observation. And that all works perfectly fine as long as nothing goes up and touches them. But if the Martian Liberation Front wants to Space 9/11 Earth they could go grab a rock, divert it, and nobody would notice until they actively went looking for that rock and realized it wasn't where the simulation says it's supposed to be. And nobody actively looks at old known rocks all that often.

That assumes that you can have sneaky spaceships, which you really can't at our current level of technology - there's no real way to hide your thrusters

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Crazycryodude posted:

Same thing though, you only see thrusters if you look at them. They're extremely easy to see if you're looking right at them, but only like 0.01% of the sky is under observation at any given moment so you can just hide in plain sight when nobody looks at you.

Spacecraft are by themselves sufficient threat to monitor

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

infernal machines posted:

kinda, in the late 80s and 90s he was a big deal™ and the business press was all up on his dick. not in the same way as musky, but he got a lot of good press.

Nerds universally hated him though

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

There is only one proper implementation of fizzbuzz
http://joelgrus.com/2016/05/23/fizz-buzz-in-tensorflow/

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Buttcoin purse posted:

I like how every time I click on any of these Elon Musk tweets, the top reply is without fail "Thanks to your support, I'm giving away 10,000 Ethereum!" from @elonnus or something. Good job on getting rid of all the fake Elon Musk accounts, Twitter!

like at this point they could just have an intern do it by hand, and also have a great sample size of bot accounts to prune

but they won't because they dgaf

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That's deliberate rear end covering. If it weren't ludicrous some dick would turn them off, get in an accident, and sue, claiming he didn't turn them off on purpose.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Buckle in your briefcase

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

So silicon is grown in a reactor? huh, never knew that.

Crystal boule growth is pretty cool. here's a factory that makes huge-rear end sapphires

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-x7XMPaWIE

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the bitcoin of weed posted:

you can grow basically any variety of precious stone in a lab these days for much cheaper than all the work required to dig them out of the ground (with far fewer imperfections) so you should definitely laugh at all the people still buying multiple-thousand dollar blood diamond rings and poo poo

mostly the ones with a simple crystal structure

tourmaline's structure is (Ca,K,Na,[])(Al,Fe,Li,Mg,Mn)3(Al,Cr, Fe,V)6
(BO3)3(Si,Al,B)6O18(OH,F)4

and anyone who tells you they have a synthetic is lying out their rear end

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

He'd tell them his Twitter was hacked by deal state FUD spreaders and they'd buy it

all he would have to do was follow it up with a fake ethereum giveaway, then claim he was hacked by those guys lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Wait it's Rogan and not Rogen?