Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A fully-aware AI is one of those things that tech types claim are JUST AROUND THE CORNER but never actually comes because AI is hard, dipshits.

See also: singularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

No one bothered to think about it in the rush to get it out the door.

I wouldn't be surprised if the other models are the same

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

bawfuls posted:

I'm not sure this is all that accurate really. SpaceX has a notoriously high rate of turnover among their engineers, something like 30% or so. The pay and workload are no better (and in many cases worse) than other aerospace competitors in the region. They definitely have a core of true believers who are there for Epic Bacon Mars missions, but Tesla has that too. If you have engineering skills and aerospace industry experience, there's plenty of defense contractors near SpaceX willing to pay well without demanding 80 hour weeks. A good friend of mine from high school worked there and he lasted barely a year before he had to leave "the cult of Elon" as he called it.

Maybe if we had this thing called unions to prevent excessive overtime
:thunk:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zil posted:

Is there anywhere where we can read up on when exactly the railroad spur to be ripped out? Or did it just kind of disappear over the past few months?

From what I was able to dig up, Elon wanted an express freight from GF1 to Fremont to ship batteries with unreasonable terms (unit train, next to impossible deadlines to avoid fees, etc) while paying a cheap price. Union Pacific told him to gently caress off, and things went from there.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zil posted:

Ah cool thanks. Interesting that Musk didn't go more public with it, was hoping for even more schadenfreude, but these two posts are good.

The other thing is NIMBYs appeared to have played a factor, because they always do.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hmm... yes. Let's violate law and ISO standards.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I rode a bike older than me in the rain today and it didn't fall apart.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Martout posted:

just caught up and let me just carefully phrase my take on all this:

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

etalian posted:

I like the SEC ruling, it's almost like they admitted they had to let him continue his clown circus in order to not hurt bull investors.

The company might be better off with actual leadership and management than a drug addicted techie weirdo.

:capitalism:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

infernal machines posted:

No, but like, we can "sell" the vehicle to our fulfillment center, right?

Does it count as sold if the VIN gets assigned to someone? How about when it gets unassigned and maybe they get a different one?

I think you figured out how they're inflating the numbers

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Smoke weed every day?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dejawesp posted:

Musk is a tricky issue for conservative assholes.

On one hand he's an icon for renewable energy and silicon valley liberalism

On the other hand he's a rich rear end in a top hat of inherited bloodmoney who hates poor people.

Decisions, decisions...

He's also a modern day robber baron and is defrauding a lot of people.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Thats' basically the only reason I am so glued to this story. It perfectly embodies the times we live in. It's the era of big ideas, and con men are basically coming out of the woodwork to take advantage. Theranos is another great example.

The scary thing is he's the most blatant and obvious example, and he still receives infinite adulation from the mainstream media that is only now starting to turn. Imagine how many other hacks there are out there building a house of cards that we wont discover until it's too late.

I think the biggest thing is he positioned himself as the next Steve Jobs. He did a drat good job of doing so at the start, and there's probably a significant overlap of the apple fanboys and musk fanboys here.

The problem is, unlike Jobs, he has delivered not much in the way of a product the average consumer can use. Paypal sure, but no one remembers him for that. The Model S was pretty much proof that an EV can be good and effective in both speed and range to the world at large. Everything else about Tesla is utter poo poo, but you see the same thing with the Musk fans as the Apple fans:

A utter unwillingness to admit what they sunk their time/money into is bad or overrated. The vocal apple contingent has largely disappeared when Jobs kicked the bucket, and while iPhones are still hot sellers, they don't carry the same cultural weight as they used to. You see the networks advertising they have it and the new Galaxies at the same amount.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

He plays perfectly into the CHUDs hands because he's:

1. Rich
2. Is going after Wall Street
3. White
4. Made money off of slave labor
5. Hates unions

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think it's a bit much to talk about the downfall of the iPhone just because it didn't kill every other major cell phone off. It's expensive as poo poo and everyone has one, there's no more vocal weirdos because like....there's no need to evangelize them anymore they're loving everywhere and it's just embedded in society now.

I never had one before I got a 7+ last year and I was hella underwhelmed but I also kind of get that it's big tech for dumb people who don't care about big tech. I wish I had an android so I could play emulators with a bt controller and will be switching back asap.

I never said it had a downfall, per se, it's no longer the cultural juggernaut it once was. I suppose that technically is a downfall, but the Mac Evangelicals are largely gone at this point.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

A model x drove by and gods that thing is ugly

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

orcinus posted:

Maybe if you put it in terms of "is green", "is not green"?

What about "super green"?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Raldikuk posted:

Me a Dummy: But what if my kid's car crashes and it loses power and they can't get out while they're engulfed in flames?
Elon "Pigskin" Musk A Galactic Brain Genius: You won't care

The front doors have a manual release that's some what accessible. The rears are varying levels of accessible to non-existent based on the model. I think the exact loophole they're using is the whole child safety lock law.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GWBBQ posted:

It's hilarious that SpaceX can launch a rocket and land the first stage after learning from mistakes and unknown factors but Tesla is bricking cars with lovely software updates and can't even manage to make sure bumpers are actually bolted on. Also noteworthy is that SpaceX benefited greatly from developments in friction stir welding and metalworking but Tesla is shipping cars with aluminum sponges for control arms.

I've mentioned this many times before, but SpaceX has two major advantages over Tesla:

1. Space travel is heavily regulated, and with massive consequences for violating these regulations in both governmental punishment and public perception.
2. Most of what SpaceX is doing is nothing new. Returning the 1st stage? Well that's after it's most critical portion of the mission, so if it fails to land, it's not going to cause the launch to fail.

There's little room for SpaceX to "disrupt" the whole launch industry aside from massively undercutting the competition.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/scot_work/status/1049002869582520321/photo/1

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:yeshaha:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Could someone please change the original "sickos" to "shorts" thanks and gods bless

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Did we ever figure out if Elon's margin call is 250 or 230?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rex-Goliath posted:

yep. it’s a delicate dance

If the subject of the call has money: Eat the loss or only go after a fraction of it.

If they don't: drain them dry

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Lote posted:

Nasdaq futures are down 2%. If Tesla gets to -4% or <240, that’s upper end of possible margin call territory for Musk.

I also think that other companies and investors are frantically trying to pump Tesla so they don’t get burned by Musk’s margin call, but if the entire market is melting down, the wheels will fall off very fast.

I mean, it is Tesla

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The hilarious thing is Elon poisoned the "take it private" well. Because he already said 420, people will expect nothing less.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Proteus Jones posted:

Willing to bet it's fallout from the Joe Rogan appearance.

I made that claim over in the Spaceflight Thread and a bazinga melted down because I didn't phrase it in the proper manner.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

infernal machines posted:

someone in yospos pointed out it's probably because the falcon sucks at doing the kinds of launches the dod needs, heavy, high orbit

B-b-b-b-but the falcon heavy :byodood:

Scott Manley, a goon, did a video on this. All of ULA's current offerings have a higher mass to orbit ratio than SpaceX's, except the Falcon Heavy, and even then, those loads are few and far between. So the long and short of it, if you want a larger payload to a higher orbit, ULA has you covered.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How much do you want to bet his mars city has a paper bag test.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

etalian posted:

Remember all the Tesla beats sports car videos out there?

Even though in a actual endurance race it overheats and reduces the power output.

Aren't half of those staged?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

the onion wizard posted:

They are very quick if you don't need to turn/brake

Or dodge a firetruck

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Okan170 posted:

Ironically, just a few months ago, the SpaceX subreddit was creaming themselves over liklihood that SpaceX bid BFR for EELV 2 development and that this would mean that its insanely cheap prices (if launched multiple times a week, not at normal flight rates) would destroy all competition and that the great Mars dream would be close to reality because the US military would help fund it.

Now its "They never even tried to bid it- they want to keep BFR away from meddlesome federal regulations, and the design uninfluenced by closed-minded engineers!"

Meanwhile, in the aftermath of the Soyuz abort, you're seeing quite a lot of people claiming that SpaceX is only being stopped from flying people to the ISS by paperwork, and that they're ready to go. The truth being that the "paperwork" in question is NASA's actual certification process itself, and that documentation wasn't actually delivered to them for review until very recently, while other issues have popped up with the parachutes. Being spun as "only lame-o NASA needs things like documentation for a vehicle that will be carrying living humans" and "hopefully they find a way around these procedures because basic safety only limits the markets in space" and of course "BFR doesn't need an abort system, when did the last airliner you flew on have one?"

NASA themselves actually wound up addressing the claims:
[ASAP Member Don] McErlean pushed back against criticism that it was paperwork, and not technical issues, that was delaying test flights of the Crew Dragon spacecraft. That certification “paperwork,” he argued, is actually in the form of critical technical reviews by NASA of the data provided by the vehicle developers.

“While this may indeed be described as paperwork, it is not bureaucratic, it is not paperwork and, point in fact, it is the essence of the technical certification of the design by NASA, and that does have to be completed before crew flies on these systems,” he said. “It is essentially extremely important and should not be thought of as some sort of bureaucratic time delay.”

As always though, what gets remembered more- Musk's excuses or the reasoned rebuttal by the actual people who know what they're doing?

The other argument you hear, and it was mentioned on these very forums, is "oh, that means the Falcon 9 is mature! :smug:" while ignoring that the Delta and Atlas programs were also well mature by that point.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My favorite counterpoint to the german tech is superior argument is "who was taking bolt action rifles into the front lines and who brought semi-automatics?"

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

orcinus posted:

How the gently caress do threads i visit always spontaneously devolve into nazi tech threads?!

Who brought it up?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

orcinus posted:

Indeedly, this has been done in trains for quite a while now.
In fact, the "modern" PWM isn't really modern anymore either, it's been in use for a while.

I remember a guy at the place i was applying for job at, after i got my degree (10ish years ago), demoing me a locomotive PSU and speed control unit, that was producing practically completely clean sine wave, at a stupidly high efficiency. At currents that were way higher than in cars (similar voltages, IIRC).

Yup, AC locomotives have been a thing since the 90s

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Boner Pill Connoisseur posted:

lmao how is twitter so bad at this

That's almost word for word the "send me X isk and I'll DOUBLE IT for you!" scam from Eve.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://i.imgur.com/X3IWMML.gifv

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

19 o'clock posted:

“Just make the whole plane out of the black box!

Ya dingus!!”

The Soviets also used a pencil

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I know a couple pages ago someone brought up that accounting rules only consider a sale to be "complete" when the customer has the product.

What if, and hear me out here, Tesla doesn't consider the car to be the final product, but the VIN number. It would explain a loving lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dumb Lowtax posted:

:pop:

edit: THE ONE WHERE THE EMOJI IS EATING THE POPCORN

It's munch, not pop. :munch: