Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
Musk so desperately wants to be Hank Scorpio but who is his Homer Simpson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

what

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Wachter posted:

why can't we just feed live animals directly into the engine, kind of like Blood Drive

The greatest evidence against the existence of souls and spirits is that we haven't exploited them. Souls existing would represent a nearly limitless supply of energy that we could tap into and yet we haven't. Checkmate atheists.

underage at the vape shop posted:

Poor countries could grow those crops too though and bring wealth to the area

This didn't work out so great for Bolivia and Peru for actual food crops like quinoa. It simply priced them out of their food.

Admiral Ray has issued a correction as of 18:27 on Dec 5, 2018

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Anyone who claims capitalism and responsible environmental decisions can peacefully co-exist needs to be repeatedly smacked with this article and others like it.

"We'll just use rapacious greed to exploit irreplaceable forests sustainably!"

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

If Musk has a very public breakdown a la Laura Loomer I will be so so so happy.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

quote:

“I could go and buy one of the islands in the Bahamas and, uh, turn it into my personal fiefdom,” he told reporters in 1999 as they observed him taking delivery of a $1 million McLaren F1 sports car. “But I’m much more interested in trying to build and create a new company.” (Musk later crashed the car.)

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

That Wired article is just amazing, amazing. It's crazy to me that people put up with Musk and his poo poo.

quote:

At one meeting Musk, agitated, broke a phone. During another, he noticed that an executive was missing and called him. The man’s wife had recently given birth, and he explained that he was taking time off as she recuperated. Musk was angry. At a minimum, you should be on phone calls, Musk told the man. Having a kid doesn’t prevent you from being on the phone. (A Tesla spokesperson said that while Musk “was once upset that a particular executive did not dial into an important conference call several days after his child was born,” the company would not penalize an employee for taking paternity leave.)

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

I want him to read the Hyperion Cantos and get the function of those AI in his head.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

FAUXTON posted:

Schlubway is a good name for it

stealing this

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

orcinus posted:

I think i'm losing my mind.

Is this some kind of a bizarro parallel universe?
Why are bazingas *and loving media* fawning over a *tunnel for car traffic*?!

We've had those, and underpasses, for years.

How is lifting a car with a lift more efficient than a ramp?
How is a lift supposed to service a car per second?
loving FREE FALL WILL TAKE A SECOND.

What is going on?

It's a cult, op. Between the wealth worship, false background (he lifted himself by his bootstraps!!!!), his big talk about the future, and huge threat of climate change, people are desperate for a hero and Musk is willing to be paid a lot of money for it. Also he enjoys doing meth in his robot factory of death.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Kraanerg posted:

seriously, what is his plan for when a single car breaks down and holds up all of traffic?

He doesn't have a plan.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Does that tunnel he had made have ventilation or did they skip it because they think without exhaust they don't need it?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

orcinus posted:

They skipped it, and Elon - no joke - said the advantage of electric cars and locomotives is that you don’t need ventilation in tunnels.

Someone needs to throw a stinkbomb in there

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Streak posted:

I figured it out

The tunnel system is really just a way to avoid Teslas driving through puddles

Oh that reminds me: What do they do when it rains? It doesn't often, of course, but there's gonna be some good storms that hit it some day.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Agronox posted:

They’re even backtracking from that (because a prototype should at least work). Now the cultists are calling it a “proof of concept” (though what it’s supposed to prove is still beyond me)

that he can dig a sewer tunnel that doesn't even pass inspection for more than people build actual sewers

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Rockopolis posted:

So did he halfass the tunnel because he's using it to launder the equipment rental and dirt from digging another drug tunnel under the border?
Hm. Or if it's an escape tunnel he's probably going to end up drowning in a river of poo poo.

That would be a better use for this, yeah. Hopefully we get reports that he's shipped one of his tunnel boring machines to the Gigafactory and is boring a tunnel to "facilitate the rapid transfer of raw materials from the Sonora to Nevada".

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Taipei Metro is absurdly good.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

musk needs to lay off the coke or upgrade to crack

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i figure they hired some new grads or something, maybe had a booth at a local career fair to *~get a chance to work with the man himself~* (for way below market)

but that poo poo would never ever pass qc for anyone with real construction administration experience

i'm curious if they actually have a structural guy on staff with a stamp, it seems really unlikely

Way below market and for longer hours than anywhere else. Or they hired interns and forced them to work for 16 - 18 hours a day.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Now, I realize we’re in an age when the tweets of billionaires should be taken with a grain of salt. At first, The Boring Company really did seem like a joke, stemming from nothing but Elon Musk’s tweet about how he was frustrated with Los Angeles traffic. At the time, he also tweeted, “I am actually going to do this.” So I called CalTrans (the California Department of Transportation), which manages the state highway system, to ask if any such construction was in the works near California freeways. The CalTrans representative was as confused as I was and said he’d look into it. An hour and a half later, he called me back and said he had no idea what Musk was talking about.

But just a month later, when I was in LA for a Hyperloop competition on the SpaceX campus, a large hole was clearly being dug in the employee parking lot. In his remarks that day, Musk confirmed the construction was to test out a tunnel-digging project.

from last year

btw any tunnel project in california requires caltrans review and approval

oh my god

what

there's no goddamn way he ignored this. . . okay just typing that out of course he did.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

well you see it's just a Test Excavation that happens to have a shitload of amateur concrete formwork in it

it's certainly not a public tunnel or anything

luv2compromise the integrity of huge busy freeways in a seismically active area

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

god drat

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Blazing Ownager posted:

Dude, I've seen crack head women strip naked and smear peanut butter cups all over themselves for Halloween while staggering up and down the asile. I've seen wheelchair bound old men grab women and refuse to leg go until the cops are called and throw piles of spit. I've smelled things you people would not believe, and had dozens of people cough in my face while watching the gang bangers scratch poo poo into the windows. And that's not even close to the poo poo that goes down in Japanese subways.

I don't know what the gently caress dreamland you are living on but it's irrefutable that public transportation sucks total balls for the people riding it and a ton of people don't take it right now, hence traffic congestion. It's also irrefutable that traffic congestion slows any connecting busses, which you need to use a subway, way way down.

So to argue against lowering that congestion with some underground super highways, like an automated autobahn, is literally just stupid and would hurt everyone, even people taking buses.

:goofy:

e: maybe i just ride the nicest rails in the country but having ridden the san francisco BART nearly every weekday for the last 5 years i've gotta say that the worst thing that i've dealt with was testing my will against the making GBS threads rear end scratcher that vacated his bowels before getting off the train, and he was still real chill, didn't even make a fuss about it.

Admiral Ray has issued a correction as of 04:36 on Dec 22, 2018

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

maybe elon's tunnel can be another fyre festival scam but this time the rich are actually on fire.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

With everything wrong with it, I guess Tesla's marketing team at least knows what they're doing.

their message is that buying a Tesla is helping to save the world from climate change

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

what if musk uses block chain to solve the merging problem

what then, nerds

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Elon Chungusk

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

loving outstanding

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Morphix posted:

Just hanging out with all my friends, they're just outside frame

Ah yes the romance of sitting in a lovely car at the beach and watching a fake fire on a terrible screen, a far superior experience to bringing real wood and lighting that on fire.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Gotta be honest that launch loop thing sounds pretty loving sick, way cooler than an elevator.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Captain_Maclaine posted:

A particularly amusing mutation of this behavior come from the bitcoin crowd, who make a habit of loudly badgering retailers to accept bitcoin with no intention of ever spending their own there, and then equally loudly abuse the retailer when, after months of few if any bitcoin transactions, they stop accepting them because its' a goddamn waste of their time.

Valve discontinued accepting bitcoin on Steam because the value of bitcoin changed in the 2 minutes between adding a game to the cart and finalizing the payment

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

citybeatnik posted:

Eh that whole "take Americans on a tour of how *real* places do this!" line of thought is much less enticing when you have stuff like the Scandinavian countries imploding their social net because suddenly brown folks are getting access to it.

that's why we don't have one. it's also partly why we don't have unions.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

bird with big dick posted:

my local Tesla dealer is staying open until midnight to help as many people as possibly take advantage of the tax credit.

I hadn’t really considered it but I’m a car guy and a performance guy and a Model 3 AWD with the performance package seems like it’d be right up my alley. 0-60 in 3.3 and 1/4 in 11.8 is pretty good for a daily driver type car.

I think I may grab one before midnight to get the tax credit.

Take pictures!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Ah, yes, I frequently get to add my miscellaneous hours to my punch card.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

"I'M WORKING ALONE" I shout to my nosy wife as I'm loving my secretary.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

China has an excise tax on expensive consumer goods, including cars, called the "consumption tax." Consumption tax receipts have imploded.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-12-31/china-s-economic-slowdown-is-worsening-stop-dithering-beijing

That's probably not a good sign.

for those that didn't click through:

haha

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

elon is definitely high again

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1081289322039365633

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

lmao azealia banks' blood magic is amazing

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

C-SPAM: Shut the gently caress up liberal > Elon Musk: girl, you can't be letting a BILLIONAIRE gently caress you on the floor

ooh, or:

C-SPAM: Shut the gently caress up liberal > Elon Musk: Anybody who cares about the world would never in there right mind give Elon Musk drugs

Admiral Ray has issued a correction as of 19:20 on Jan 5, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Muscle Wizard posted:

its almost too silly to be true but you know it's gotta be at least somewhat true by how spot-on her descriptions of musk and grimes are.

rich people problems are so quaint